Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

DeckedOut: Oh man, I hope tomorrow isn't worse! Today is better than yesterday though. I did add 1/2 cup of soymilk extra to my 1 cup shake and added veggies to my lunch. That helped a lot.

Wow, I haven't seen 160's in a long time. That was a good place for me. I can't wait!

So it took you 5 months to lose 30 pounds or so and have 30 to go? It seems like a year is a reasonable goal to lose all your weight don't you think? Dr. C said on a post that I should expect to lose it in 2 years. Your stats are almost identical to mine. The other lower bmi bandsters I have read have also lost it within a year. I guess it is better to give conservative advice than to have people think they are failures because they don't lose it all fast.

Even if it took 2 years to lose 50 pounds, it would be worth it!

Audree

I think I'm gonna say to heck with the insurance I was trying to get, see how Audree does and go to her doctor, Ill just save the money,while I wait on hubbys settlement.lol I think I will go withDR Ortiz I think Ive changed my mind On Doctors 3 x now. I want mine in at least 6 months, Which everways the quickest. Im Ready Now.

I think I'm gonna say to heck with the insurance I was trying to get, see how Audree does and go to her doctor, Ill just save the money,while I wait on hubbys settlement.lol I think I will go withDR Ortiz I think Ive changed my mind On Doctors 3 x now. I want mine in at least 6 months, Which everways the quickest. Im Ready Now.

Hey LaJuanna!

If you want a lot more info on Dr. Ortiz, go to my journal link. I asked everyone I could on this site how their experience was, along with a lot of info they sent me, and put all the info I got in my journal. I also bought his book Lap Band for Life on Amazon.com for like $19 I think he has done over 4000 surgeries. Everyone has been so nice by phone and internet. My friend also was banded by Dr. Ortiz last year and she had zero complications. She recommends him highly and she is the type of person who is EXTREMELY careful about everything. She has a family doctor out there, who she says she trusts with her life. Her family doctor assisted Dr. Ortiz in her surgery.

His website is ObesityControlCenter.com

He does all his fills under fluro. I think it is like $150 a fill or something like that.

I am also a major journaler, so my whole lap band experience will be there!

Hope that helps!!!

Audree

I am sooooooooooooooooo hungry!!!!! I can't stand it. I took a Green T appetite suppresant. It just barely curbs the appetite and I am waiting for it to kick in and for lunch time!!!! I bought a bunch of really yummy Lean Cuisines.

I am also drinking my Water.

I am going to get my elyptical inside and do that. So, please keep me accountable!!!!

HUNGRY!:hungry: :faint:

I hate HUNGRY. Here are some ideas:

• Keep in mind that many of the "lean cuisine" type meals are high in carbohydrates, specifically Pasta, which may be contributing to you feeling hungry sooner.
  • Follow the bandster rule of drinking no calorie liquids only up 'til the time you eat, then not drinking for at least one hour after the meal ends to help what you've eaten stay in your stomach long enough to signal the nerves for satiety.
  • Eat a big ALL vegetable salad with or between meals; mix some rice vinegar and a package of splenda (if you like your dressing sweet) together to bulk up you meals without adding calories.
  • Steam frozen veggies, such as broccoli florets, cauliflower, or another favorite frozen vegetable mix (NOT corn or potatoes) and add them to your lean cusine meals.

That was AWESOME advice. I have never thought of mixing splenda with rice vineger. That will be my new favorite for sure!!!!!

You are totally right about the carbs. I am very sensitive to carbs, the more carbs I have, the hungrier I get. Maybe I can take some of the carbs out and put in some chopped up turkey I have. Also to add the veggies to the meal.

Should I still follow the banster rules about drinking if I am not banded yet? My nerves for satiety dont get signaled too easy.

Thanks,Randi

I messed up on my dinner time pre op. I had my lean cuisine with veggies. Then went to my moms. Had a small handful of cashews and almonds. Then hubby came home and wanted chinese. So, I had about 5 bites of his chicken, 3 bites or rice and some hot and sour Soup.< /p>

Then came home and saw a resses pieces butter cup on the counter and shoved it in my mouth before my hubby could see.

What the heck is up with that?

I told my husband I didn't want to do that again today. Randi gave me good advice about the carbs in my lean cuisine, I think I will take out some of the carbs and add some protien. Carbs make me VERY hungry like a bottomless pit. I felt like a bottom less pit yesterday. I was full but felt like I was starving.

Today is day 3 of pre op and I need and want to do it right!!! Next Friday is my surgery and I want to go in,in the best health!

Audree

Audree,

Don't beat yourself up, we all slip. I probably would have eaten 10 reeses. I love those.

Randi is right about the dinners. I stopped eating them cause of the carbs. Now I buy south beach dinners cause they have a lot more protien and it seems like more food. I didn't think about that earlier, sorry.

Dr C is right about planning on 2 years. I think in the first year I should be able to get to 130. But, it will probably take me the next year or 6 months to get to the 115 I would really like to be. That is okay. I haven't ever been able to maintain this type of weight loss, so it is fantastic and totally worth every penny.

Don't forget to drink lots of Water between meals. And if you haven't given up pop yet, do it now! Crystal light is also great to drink. I love the raspberry lemonade.

That was AWESOME advice. I have never thought of mixing splenda with rice vineger. That will be my new favorite for sure!!!!!

You are totally right about the carbs. I am very sensitive to carbs, the more carbs I have, the hungrier I get. Maybe I can take some of the carbs out and put in some chopped up turkey I have. Also to add the veggies to the meal.

Should I still follow the banster rules about drinking if I am not banded yet? My nerves for satiety dont get signaled too easy.

Thanks,Randi

I'm assuming your surgeon has requested that you lose a certain amount of weight pre-op, and the dietician is having you do the shake and frozen meals to control your caloric intake to reach your pre-op weight loss goal. So, anything you can implement at this stage, i.e. following bandster drinking rules, will be beneficial later.

The bottom line . . . if you try it and it's helpful in keeping you from being physically hungry (I'm not talking about head hunger because THAT'S a completely different animal), then it's just one more tool in your arsenal to make it through the pre-op diet.

I am a low BMI'er as well. My BMI was about 30. For me, i put most of the blame for not losing weight on my food choices, but i do find, even when im on track, the weightloss is a lot slower than my best friend who had the operation a year before me. It was like the weight just fell off of her...we all know, it takes effort, but gosh, at times i start to feel frustrated. I know im guilty of expecting too much from the band. Thinking that it will do everything for me. I know i need to be making better food choices, as well as excercising..but at times, i don't really know what to eat? some things make me feel sick, and other times im fine. It's frustrating. Anyhow, im out of the country at the moment, and look forward to heading back to toronto and visiting the clinic for some help..but any help from you all would be great.

Rachael.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was totally beating myself up. Then I thought, many I ate so much less than I would have, a few bites and Soup is not too big a deal.

I am feeling really good today! I had my Protein Shake, ended up wearing most of it!!!! We were on our way to church and it ended up flipping over and pouring all over my face, sweater, car, backseat and husband. We went anyway!!!!

I had a lean cuisine today for lunch. I added some shredded turkey meat to it that was only sauteed with with onion, Tomato and chicken broth. I am also drinking some green tea with a packet of splenda.

I weighed in and actually lost 1/2 a pound. I had shot up to 190 then somehow after one day pre op, I went to 186. Today on day 3 of preop, weighed in at 185.5.

I will definitely go and try to get some South Beach diet dinners. I will save my Lean Cuisines for when I can eat them again Post Band.

I don't drink soda, stopped a long time ago. I love Crystal Light and also enjoy the Target brand. It is way cheaper than the Crystal Light and takes great! I need to remember my Water intake. Also, I notice that when I exercise, I am more "diet" consious.

Randi: They actually don't really want me to lose weight pre surgery since I am a low BMI, they didn't mention me losing anything. I guess they want me to get used to eating smaller portions pre band. I will really start trying to do the bander water thing. I always drink with meals and need to stop. I just need to make myself conscious of it.

Rachel: Welcome to our group! It is such a great place for me to come for support! I know I wouldn't be successful with out all your help!!!

Happy New Years to my banster buddies!!!:clap2:

Audree

I had BCBS until today, but I didn't have a 12 month diet history they required. Beginning Jan 1, I will have UHC, which requires a 5 year history of BMI > 40. I have a 5 year history of BMI > 35, but not 40. Does anyone know how strict they are about the 40 BMI requirement?

To tell you the truth, I don't even know what my bmi really is. I am 5'2" and

weigh 210. I would like to get down to 135-145 in that range. I will join you in this lower BMI conversation. Can you tell me what my bmi is? I think my surgeron said 39 when I went for my first consult. but I can't even remember!

I am amazed at how great I feel after having this done!;)

Denise

I am a low BMI'er as well. My BMI was about 30. For me, i put most of the blame for not losing weight on my food choices, but i do find, even when im on track, the weightloss is a lot slower than my best friend who had the operation a year before me. It was like the weight just fell off of her...we all know, it takes effort, but gosh, at times i start to feel frustrated. I know im guilty of expecting too much from the band. Thinking that it will do everything for me. I know i need to be making better food choices, as well as excercising..but at times, i don't really know what to eat? some things make me feel sick, and other times im fine. It's frustrating. Anyhow, im out of the country at the moment, and look forward to heading back to toronto and visiting the clinic for some help..but any help from you all would be great.

Rachael.

I am not banded yet, but in what I have read, in Dr. Ortiz's book Lap Band for Life and on different boards, the people that do the best, have only 3 meals, do not snack in between, have protien first, then veggies, then fruit, then last if there is room, some carbs. They exercise daily, cardio and weight training. They drink lots of Water. I will try to find the link that I found to help accelerate weight loss.

Hope this helps! Audree

To tell you the truth, I don't even know what my bmi really is. I am 5'2" and

weigh 210. I would like to get down to 135-145 in that range. I will join you in this lower BMI conversation. Can you tell me what my bmi is? I think my surgeron said 39 when I went for my first consult. but I can't even remember!

I am amazed at how great I feel after having this done!;)

Welcome Denise!!!

The bmi is a ratio of your weight and body mass. It stands for body mass index. They are on a scale of average weight, overweight, obese, morbidly obese, something like that.

There are highter bmi groups here that start at like 50 and higher, so you qualify. Of course this group is open to anyone that needs support, regardless of bmi, but higher bmi and lower bmi face different roads, difference pace of weight loss, etc.

Welcome!!! Audree:D

I had BCBS until today, but I didn't have a 12 month diet history they required. Beginning Jan 1, I will have UHC, which requires a 5 year history of BMI > 40. I have a 5 year history of BMI > 35, but not 40. Does anyone know how strict they are about the 40 BMI requirement?

I am not sure, but you may try asking in the lap band complications forum. Dr. C normally answers questions there!

Audree