Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Well I finally found my birth certificate that I have been looking for since the middle of December. I was totally freaking out that I couldn't find it because I am going to Mexico!

Ummm pre-op diet is not going that great for me I have to admit. I knew I would have trouble with it but with my dad here also I haven't been trying that hard. He doesn't know I am having the surgery and I am not discussing any type of diet with him. He leaves tomorrow so I am going to really dig in and try tomorrow.

Audree you are doing SO great on the diet. I really hope that my willpower kicks in and my liver shrinks in 4 days!

Happy New Year everyone!

Well I finally found my birth certificate that I have been looking for since the middle of December. I was totally freaking out that I couldn't find it because I am going to Mexico!

Ummm pre-op diet is not going that great for me I have to admit. I knew I would have trouble with it but with my dad here also I haven't been trying that hard. He doesn't know I am having the surgery and I am not discussing any type of diet with him. He leaves tomorrow so I am going to really dig in and try tomorrow.

Audree you are doing SO great on the diet. I really hope that my willpower kicks in and my liver shrinks in 4 days!

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi Supergenius!

I did mess up yesterday at dinner time, but not to bad. Today adding Protein to my Lean Cuisine helped tremendously. I am really sensitive to carbs and they make me feel like a bottomless pit of hunger!!!

Someone said to buy the South Beach Diet dinners instead, less carbs, more Protein and seems like more food. I am getting hungry right now and I think I will 1st try drinking Water, then eat a little shredded turkey. I took turkey and used it in my new little food processer I bought from Walmart for $14, shredded it with onion and Tomato and sauteed it in chicken broth. It is the bomb!

I am trying not to rely on my Green T appetite suppresants. The evening are also harder for me. My friend also told me to have some Soup or hot tea.

Man, we will get through this!!!! Some people just do an Atkins, more protein as a preop, that is easier to do. Maybe you can do that until your dad leaves.

Let me know how it goes! Audree

I am a low BMI'er as well. My BMI was about 30. For me, i put most of the blame for not losing weight on my food choices, but i do find, even when im on track, the weightloss is a lot slower than my best friend who had the operation a year before me. It was like the weight just fell off of her...we all know, it takes effort, but gosh, at times i start to feel frustrated. I know im guilty of expecting too much from the band. Thinking that it will do everything for me. I know i need to be making better food choices, as well as excercising..but at times, i don't really know what to eat? some things make me feel sick, and other times im fine. It's frustrating. Anyhow, im out of the country at the moment, and look forward to heading back to toronto and visiting the clinic for some help..but any help from you all would be great.

Rachael.

This is from earlier on in this thread. I occasionally post things that I find. Here goes:

‘How to Lose 22lbs or 10kgs in 28 Days Without Starving or Training Like an Olympic Athlete!'

By Stephen Smith BSc

If you seriously want to lose 22lbs or 10 kilograms in 28 days then you must perform all of the principles exactly as recommended. Unlike the recommendations in my book, ‘Look good, feel great!', where you can pick the principles you want to use and ignore the rest and where you can even modify the principles to suit your lifestyle, these principles must be followed exactly as they are outlined. If you want extraordinary results, then you must be willing to put in an extraordinary effort!

I realise that some people may be thinking, ‘But it is impossible to lose 10 kilograms of fat in a month!' I agree- it is! However, the truth is, it is impossible to only lose fat on any type of weight-loss program. You will always lose a combination of fat, Water, stored carbohydrate and some muscle.

Furthermore, most people who want to lose 10 kilograms in the first place are generally retaining excess Fluid anyway, so a system that helps get rid of the excess Fluid is certainly going to accelerate their results.

Perform 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise morning and night.

Yes, you read that correctly, morning and night- 2 sessions a day… every day! No excuses. We're all busy, we all feel tired some mornings, but if you're serious about getting amazing results, then you must be willing to do everything necessary.

When we talk about aerobic exercise, we're talking about exercise! Not walking around the shops, doing the gardening or doing housework. It must be exercise, which means your breathing rate increases, your face goes red, you sweat, you get tired- simple!

Some examples of aerobic exercise include: walking (pounding the pavement at a brisk pace- not dawdling), cycling (stationary bike is ideal), swimming, rowing, stepper, cross-trainer, aerobic classes, boxing, etc.

Use ‘thermogenics'.

There are several very effective thermogenic supplementson the market that can accelerate your progress towards your goal. Those containing caffeine, green tea extracts and an extract from a plant called coleus forskohlii are the most effective. They will boost your metabolismand promote the release of fat from the fat stores. ‘Scorch' by MAN Sports is a good example. It contains a combination of 7 powerful herbal ingredients specifically designed to boost your metabolism, burn body fat and increase your energy.

Unfortunately though, thermogenics are not ‘magic pills'. You can't expect to take a couple of thermogenic capsules and then go home and eat pizza and drink alcohol and expect to get results. Thermogenics only work when their use is combined with a good nutrition and exercise program.

Take 1-2 capsules twice a day; once prior to your morning exercise session and once with your lunch. Don't take them later than 4:00pm in the afternoon because they may keep you awake at night.

Before using thermogenics, see your doctor first and obtain their approval.

Do not eat anything for 30 minutes after the completion of any exercise.

As a result of using the thermogenics combined with the exercise, your metabolism will remain elevated for some time after the exercise session is finished. This means your body will burn fuel at a faster rate than normal.

Any exercise causes the body to use carbohydrate (muscle glycogen and blood glucose) as a fuel source. This means that after the exercise is completed the carbohydrate stores in the body are low and the body will be forced to use fat as its fuel.

If a meal is eaten immediately after the completion of the exercise session, the blood glucose level will rise, inducing the secretion of insulin from the pancreas. One of the effects of insulin is to stop fat burning in the body. Therefore, wait 30 minutes (but no longer because cortisol will rise) before having your next meal.

Perform a weight training workout 2-4 times a week.

Lifting weights is the most under-estimated way to lose fat fast! Now, before you start saying, ‘But I don't want to get big muscles!' or ‘I don't want to look like a man!', consider the following.

The main purpose of lifting weights when your primary goal is to lose body fat is to preserve the muscle massyou already have. You see, muscle is the ‘engine' within which the fat, or ‘fuel' is burnt and maintaining or even increasing your muscle mass slightly will help ensure your body fat is burnt off efficiently.

If you don't lift weights, your body will quite happily lose both fat and muscle as you drop the kilos. Lifting weights forces your body to maintain your muscle mass, therefore keeping your metabolism elevated and turning your body into 24-hour-a-day fat-burning machine!

Incidentally, it only takes two 30 minute sessions a week to obtain the muscle preserving benefits of lifting weights.

Have 5-6 small meals a day.

One of the most common strategies people use to lose weight is to skip meals. Whilst reducing food intake is certainly an effective way to lose weight, having fewer meals is not the way to go. Many overweight people say, ‘I don't know why I'm overweight, I only eat once or twice a day!' Unfortunately, this is exactly why they are overweight.

Having a mild calorie restriction is effective because if you consume less calories than you burn each day you will lose weight- simple! However, skipping meals forces the body to invoke its ‘Starvation Mechanism' because it thinks it is entering a famine. As a result, the body slows the metabolism to preserve energy. It also increases cortisol output and cortisol is the most powerful catabolic hormone in the body, which means it goes around the body breaking down lean tissue, particularly muscle. A loss of muscle slows the metabolism even further. Skipping meals also results in an increase in appetite, which forces you to eat larger amounts of food when you do eat. In addition to all these factors, the body also increases the activity of fat-storing enzymes, lipoprotein lipase (LPL) and fatty acid synthase (FAS), so when you do eat the food gets stored as fat. All of this results from simply skipping meals!

By having a small meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day, your metabolism stays elevated and your body will happily burn fat all day long. Unfortunately though, most people are conditioned to having large meals and they automatically assume they will put on weight if they have 5 or 6 meals a day. The fact is, the ideal portion sizes for most people are actually quite small and in order to lose weight fast it is essential that you never feel full from a meal but you do feel satisfied.

Also, most people find it difficult to have a meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day because they are so busy with work and/ or family commitments. Here are some suggestions to ensure you get your 5 or 6 meals a day.

• Plan and prepare your meals the night before

• Use Meal Replacements (protein shakes or bars)

• Select foods that are quick and easy to prepare and consume

Ensure each meal contains Protein.

Protein is a component of all cells and makes up over half the dry weight of the human body. Furthermore, the human body is a dynamic structure, which means it is constantly building up and breaking down tissue. Just imagine a bath full of Water. At one end of the bath the plug is pulled out and at the other end the tap is turned on full. The water level in the bath doesn't change but there are ‘new' water molecules entering the bath and ‘old' water molecules leaving the bath all the time. The human body is exactly the same. If the body breaks down more tissue than it builds up, then it is said to be in a catabolic state. This results in the metabolism slowing down due to the loss of muscle tissue.

Having a portion of high-quality protein every few hours throughout the day provides the body with a constant supply of amino acids- the building blocks of the body. This prevents the catabolic state, promotes an anabolic state (tissue building) and therefore keeps the metabolism ‘fired-up'.

If only carbohydrate or fat is consumed for a meal, for example a piece of fruit (carbohydrate) for the mid-morning meal, then the body will still enter a catabolic state because it doesn't have the building blocks (amino acids) to re-build body tissues. Protein, as its name suggests, is of primary importance.

Reduce your intake of high-density carbohydrates.

Most high-density carbohydrates like bread, Pasta, rice and cereals cause a rapid rise in blood glucose. This invokes the release of insulin from the pancreas, which in turn stores the glucose. The body stores glucose in the muscles and liver as glycogen and once these sites are full, the remaining glucose gets stored as body fat. Not only this, but insulin also stops the body from mobilising and utilising fat for fuel (burning fat).

So if you want to maximise fat loss, you need to keep insulin to a minimum and the best way to do this is by reducing your intake of starchy carbohydrates without cutting them out altogether. Cutting them out totally is a philosophy of many low-carb diets on the market. However, these are very hard to sustain long-term and may lead to nutrient deficiencies.

Each day, have a small amount (1-2 serves) of high density carbohydrates (bread, Pasta, rice, cereals); a moderate amount (2-3 serves) of medium density carbohydrates (starchy vegetables and fruits); and a large amount (5-6 serves) of low density carbohydrates (fibrous vegetables). [For a complete list of carbohydrates, see pages 136-138 of the book, ‘ Look good, feel great! ]

Do not have a Treat Day.

Since you are expecting an extraordinary result, it is essential that you put in an extraordinary effort. Accordingly, for the next 28 days you must follow the plan exactly as it is outlined without deviating. This means you can't allow yourself to indulge in any ‘forbidden foods'. This also means avoiding alcohol for the entire 28-day period. I know this may be hard for some people but let's face it, it is only for 28 days!

By committing to the plan and disciplining yourself to see it through, you are ensuring that the results will follow. Plus, the disciplines you create to help you achieve your physical goal will have a ‘carry-over benefit' to other areas of your life as well.

I wish you the greatest success in achieving outstanding results!

<CENTER>I got this off another thread. It is similar to the Cabbage diet. Someone else said you could use it in your mushies stage and add shredded chicken. I think Soup is a good way to get your Protein and veggies, maybe add a little brown rice to it.

If anything, it can by used as a plateau buster.

Sacred Heart Medical Diet

</CENTER>This 7-day eating plan can be used as often as you like. If correctly followed, it will clean out your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being. After only 7 days of this process, you will begin to feel lighter by at least 10 pounds and possibly 17 pounds, and experience an abundance of energy.

<DL><DT>SOUP:

<DD>

• 1 or 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
  • 3 plus large green onions
  • 1 large can of beef broth (no fat)
  • 1 pkg. Lipton Soup mix (chicken noodle)
  • 1 bunch of celery
  • 2 cans green Beans
  • 2 lbs. Carrots
  • 2 Green Peppers

<DT>Season with salt, pepper curry, parsley, if desired, or bouillon, hot or Worcestershire sauce. Cut veggies in small to medium pieces. Cover with Water. Boil fast for 10 minutes. Reduce to simmer and continue to cook until veggies are tender.

<DT>This soup can be eaten anytime you are hungry during the week. Eat as much as you want, whenever you want. This soup will not add calories. The more you eat, the more you will lose. You may want to fill a thermos in the morning if you will be away during the day.

<DT>DRINKS: <DD>

• Unsweetened juices
  • Tea (also herbal)
  • coffee
  • Cranberry juice
  • Skim milk
  • Water, Water, water

<DT>DAY ONE <DD>Any fruit (except bananas). Cantaloupes and watermelon are lower in calories than most other fruits. Eat only soup and fruit today.

<DT>DAY TWO <DD>All vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed with fresh raw, cooked or canned veggies. Try to eat green leafy veggies and stay away from dry Beans, peas or corn. Eat veggies along with the soup. At dinnertime tonight reward yourself with a big baked potato and butter. Don't eat any fruits through today.

<DT>DAY THREE <DD>Eat all the soup, fruit and veggies you want. Do not have a baked potato. If you have eaten as above for three days and not cheated, you should find that you have lost 5-7 pounds.

<DT>DAY FOUR <DD>Bananas and skim milk: Eat at least 3 bananas and drink as much milk as you can today, along with the soup. Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates, as is the milk but on this particular day, your body will need the potassium and carbs. Proteins and Calcium to lessen the cravings for sweets.

<DT>DAY FIVE <DD>Beef and tomatoes: you may have 10 to 20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes, or as many as 6 tomatoes on this day. Eat the soup at least once today.

<DT>DAY SIX <DD>Beef and veggies, eat to your heart's content of the beef and veggies today. You can even have 2-3 steaks if you like with green leafy veggies but no baked potato. Be sure to eat the soup at least once today.

<DT>DAY SEVEN <DD>Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and veggies, again, be sure to stuff yourself and eat the soup. You can add cooked veggies to your rice if you wish.

<DT>By the end of the 7th day, if you have not cheated on this diet, you should have lost 10 to 17 pounds. If you have lost more than 17 pounds, stay off the diet for two days before resuming the diet again.

<DT>This diet is fast. The secret lies within the principle that you will burn more calories than you take in. It will flush your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being. This diet does not lend itself to drinking any alcoholic beverages at any time. Because of the fat build-up in your system. Go off the diet at least 14 hours before any intake of alcohol.

<DT>Due to the variety of digestive systems in individuals, this diet will affect everyone differently. After day three, you will have more energy than when you began, if you do not cheat. After being on the diet for several days, you will find that your bowel movements have changed. Eat a cup of bran or Fiber. Although you can have black coffee with this diet, you may find that you don't need caffeine after the third day.

<DT>The basic fat burning soup can be eaten anytime you feel hungry during the seven days. Eat as much as you wish. Remember the more you eat, the more you will lose. You can eat broiled, boiled or baked chicken instead of the beef. Absolutely no skin on the chicken. If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef on only one of the beef days. You need the high Protein in the beef for the other days.

<DT>Continue on the diet as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically.

<DT>DO NOT - DO NOT <DD>No bread, alcohol, carbonated drinks (including diet drinks). Remember, absolutely no fried foods.

<DT>DO - DO - DO - DO <DD>Drink plenty - at least 6 to 8 glasses - of water a day, as well as any combination of the following beverages: black coffee, unsweetened Fruit Drinks, cranberry juice and skim milk.

<DT>This diet comes from the Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital that is used for overweight heart patients in order to lose weight rapidly</DT></DL>

Randi: They actually don't really want me to lose weight pre surgery since I am a low BMI, they didn't mention me losing anything. I guess they want me to get used to eating smaller portions pre band. I will really start trying to do the bander Water thing. I always drink with meals and need to stop. I just need to make myself conscious of it.

:clap2:

Audree

Audree,

From your post, you're doing great on the pre-op diet! I wasn't required to do a pre-op diet either, but I was able to take off about 5 pounds prior to surgery. But, my surgeon said, "You don't have to lose any weight, but don't gain anymore weight either." I was definitely stressed about having to make it through two of the biggest holidays of the year and not gain any weight. So, imagine my relief when I was given a surgery date for 20 November (Thanksgiving Week). To say I was "thankful" would be an understatement.

Audree,

You are doing great on the pre-op diet........and it will be over soon!

I've been on these boards since before my surgery on 11/23 (Thanksgiving). I was also banded by Dr. Ortiz. I found the clinic to meet all my needs.......and more. I've had to call the Doctor a couple of times since surgery. Dr. Martinez usually takes those calls....and he has been fantastic. I ended up going to Dr. Ortiz when I recognized that I'd have to gain weight and spend 7 months getting a doctor to document everything in order to get the surgery approved by my insurance company. When I started researching things, I recognized that I'd be more comfortable with Dr. Ortiz and his staff than anyone else.....so I decided to self pay.

I'm one of those folks that actually had some restriction after surgery. When I finally started on solids at the start of week 4, I could not tolerate them and went back to liquids for another week. I've lost a total of 20 pounds from the start of pre-op dieting to today (7 pre-op and 13 post-op). I've been fortunate in that it is staying off and my first fill is Saturday -- January 6th. Lately, I do feel as if I can eat larger portions and that I'm ready for a fill. Hopefully you won't need any medicines to control your appetite after you are banded......at least not early on. My appetite was gone almost immediately after surgery and the liquids I was drinking did fill me up. The mental "head hunger" is what I had a problem with after a long, hard day at work! I noticed that I would go to bed earlier once I was banded. That wasn't a bad thing for me since I finally started getting 8 hours of sleep a night......but I did it because I was depressed that my friend, food, wasn't around for me!! Going to bed got me out of the kitchen.

I'll probably be arriving at the clinic for my fill as you are leaving. Maybe our paths will cross while we are there. I live near Los Angeles......so not far away from you.

I did not find a need for a compression garment of any sort. The only area that feels any pain (for me) after surgery was where the port was stitched to the muscle. It hurt for about a week......and then at 2 weeks I suddenly felt it again for a day or two. I think I picked up my 2 year old son too early and aggravated something. The hardest thing was getting up and down from bed. I found that if I simply held that area of my abdomen while sitting up, I did not feel the pain. The incisions are so small that I already feel like I never had surgery.

I ate light the night before surgery.....just some Soup. I also had a really easy time with gas pains. I did take the GasX strips and had my heating pad with me in the hotel. So, perhaps that helped things. I never felt the terrible gas pain that a lot of folks describe.

As for exercise......just starting down that path now that I'm 5 weeks post-banding. I got one of those Nike plus sensors that you wear in your tennis shoes for Christmas-- it connects to my ipod -- and it measures distance, calories burned, etc. The great thing about it is that you can use the Nike website to sign up for challenges with others using the same technology. No way to cheat......since connecting your ipod to the computer uploads the data from your run or walk directly to the Nike site. So far, so good. I really want to get back into shape and have a strong body once again. I'm looking forward to that!

Well -- hang in there......only 4 more days of your pre-op diet!! :clap2:

Kathy

Kathy:

Thanks for all the info! I can't believe my day is coming too!

You sound like you are doing great!

Maybe we can go get a fill togeter sometime. I live right off the 210, not to far from the 15 in Rancho Cucamonga, near Victoria Gardens.

It makes me feel so much better to hear others stories, especially with the same doctor.

Happy New Year,Audree

How are the Low BMI ers doing today?

I am on day 4 of pre op. I am drinking my Protein shake for Breakfast. I am down to 184.5 and I don' understand how I am losing right now. I was at 190. Four pounds fell off after the1st day of pre op, so that must have been Water. Those 4 pounds were from the holidays. I am also supposed to be premenstual and I usually retain a lot of Water.

I can't believe this Friday is my day. I am getting nervous now and scared of the unknown.

I hope you all are doing well.

QUESTIONS FOR TODAY

1. What did you eat today? Do you journal? Did you drink enough water?

2. Did you exercise today?

3. What supplements did you take?

4. If you are banded, are you having problems with PBing? Does anyone have any good advice for us who are not banded or newly banded, so we won't PB?

5. How do you feel today?

6. Any words of wisdom for today?

Audree

Audree,

I'll keep you in mind for my next fill.........who knows when that will be though. I'm actually a little bit afraid for my fill on Friday. I had some problems around week 4 when I actually started to add solid food to my diet. So, I am not jumping up and down awaiting restriction right now. I'm not even sure I'm ready for a fill.......but I do know that I want the doctor to check the positioning of my band since I had some episodes of very violent vomiting (as well as PBing....big difference between the two) when I went to solid foods on 12/14. I had to go back to all liquids and work my way back up to mushy stuff and then solids finally. Dr. Martinez indicated that they would want to check the positioning of the band to make sure that nothing had gone wrong when I had those problems. I am able to eat larger portions in the last few days....and am hungry enough to do so. So, I think I finally am feeling the loss of restriction. We'll see what they say when I get down to TJ though. If they send me home without a fill, I'll be fine with that. I'm just hoping I did not do any permanent damage to the band with that episode. I'm willing to take very small baby steps with this band and make several trips to TJ to get the proper restriction. I don't ever want that PB feeling again. It is pretty horrible.

My advice to you is to follow the post-op diet religiously. I did okay with it and was lucky in that I wasn't really all that hungry when I was on it. Then, when you start to eat solids.......do not attempt chicken or other *problem* foods right away. I did eat chicken, and it was probably too early to start to do that. I've eaten it again in the past couple of days with no problem. I probably did not have the practice I needed with chewing my food a lot and it was one of the first things I attempted to eat when I went to solids. It was NOT a good idea........get comfortable with other, softer foods that need chewing first......then move on to the foods that some of the people on these boards have a tougher time with. I was so happy to be off liquids that I took the doctor's advice quite literally and jumped into solid food rather than easing into it. Bad idea.

So, my fill is supposed to be at 11am on Saturday. However, I'm trying to change it to later in the afternoon so that I can take the train down to San Diego (Amtrak) and then catch the blue line trolley to San Ysidoro and then walk over the border, and catch a taxi (that sounds really complicated.......but it is not). If I can't change it to later in the day, I'll just drive down there. We took the train when I had my surgery and it was great. It happened to be Thanksgiving weekend and I did not want to battle Mexico, San Diego, and LA traffic on a holiday weekend. If I stick with the 11am fill -- then I may see you before you leave the clinic unless you get out of there earlier than I did. For some reason it seemed like it took forever for us to get out of there the day after surgery. However, you are not going back to the hotel......so perhaps it will be more fast for you since you won't be waiting for all the other patients to all go back to the hotel at the same time.

I ran for 2.5 miles this morning.........slowly building up my speed and endurance!! That is 4 times in one week -- and yet the scale won't budge. I'm definitely in a plateau right now. I've had this treadmill for 7 years now and it probably has had more use this week than ever :party: I always had good intentions.........

Happy New Year everyone! We are off to Pasadena to see the Rose Parade floats. My husband has never seen them up close.......and I still am amazed every time I do see them with all those flowers, seeds, and other living things on every square inch of them.

Kathy

Supergenius,

Glad you found your birth certificate.

I thought you needed a passport to get into Mexico starting in January, 2007? I'm not sure if they relaxed those dates a bit or not. I'm not sure when you appointment in Mexico is though.....perhaps the dates have been relaxed as the air travel dates are 1/23/2007. I'm just curious and also don't want you to make a trip that you are not prepared for. I'm sure you've probably done more research on this than I have.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Our entire family recently got passports. I had one...but my husband and son needed one. We have family in Baja Mexico and realized that we would need passports to get back and forth eventually.

Anyway, glad you found your birth certificate and I'm hoping that is all you need for your upcoming travel.

Kathy

Thanks KathyInca!

Thanks for all the great advice. I will have to refer back to your post post op.

I am feeling good today. I am getting hungry now. Good that is is lunch time.

Hey, I found this on my Makers Diet website talking about what you can eat to help with cravings:

"Cravings are part of any drastic change in someone's diet. If you are craving sweets, then a teaspoon of unheated, raw honey may help reduce that craving. If you are craving fats, then a tablespoon of coconut oil will help."

It's worth a try! Why don't we put it to the test. Coconut oil is also supposed to help with weight loss.

Audree

Salmon, Tofu and Broccoli Patties

2 servings (2 patties each)

This is a light and easy dish for people who want to eat salmon, broccoli and tofu on principle but may not like cooking these items. The patties are actually baked in muffin pans, using pureed raw salmon, combined with silken tofu. French cuisine has a long history of pureeing raw salmon and using it in a variety of steamed and baked mousses and quiches. This dish substitutes tofu for the traditional eggs and cream and adds finely chopped broccoli.

Start to finish: 20 minutes Ingredients:

6 ounces salmon fillet

1/2 cup organic silken tofu

1 teaspoon grated ginger root

1 teaspoon salt-free herb blend

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 cup brocolli, cooked and finely chopped

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Chop the cooked broccoli finely in the food processor. Remove and set aside. Cut the raw salmon into chunks and put it in the food processor with the tofu and seasonings. Puree until smooth. Fold the chopped broccoli into the salmon mixture and divide between four lightly oiled muffin pan sections. Cover the muffin pan with tinfoil, pressing it down around the edges of the pan. Put in the middle rack of the oven and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Remove the pan and let the patties sit for a few minutes. Tip the pan over carefully, or guide the patties out with a knife. There will be a little liquid depending on the type of tofu used, but the patties should hold together.

Serve as a lunch or brunch dish with a side salad, or add a crisp stir fry of mushrooms and green vegetables to make it a dinner. These patties hold very well in the fridge for a few days and can be re-heated in the microwave at work. They also freeze very well, so if you like them, multiply the recipe by three, using about a pound of salmon and a full head of broccoli, and make a muffin pan full.

Nutritional Information: Per serving:

158 calories

6 g total fat (1 g sat)

44 mg cholesterol

28 g carbohydrate

23 g Protein

5 g Fiber

246 mg sodium

Creamy Tomato Soup

3 servings

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

3 pounds fresh, ripe Italian tomatoes, chopped (about 6 cups)

8 sun-dried tomatoes, soaked

1 cup soy milk

Salt and black and red pepper to taste

2 Tbls. fresh parsley, basil or dill, chopped

Instructions:

1. In a large pot, sauté the onions in the olive oil until they are soft, then add the fresh tomatoes and stir until the mixture boils.

2. Remove the dried tomatoes from their soaking Water and chop them coarsely. Add them and their soaking water to the pot and cook, stirring to prevent sticking.

3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the soy milk and season to taste with salt and black and red pepper.

4. Serve in bowls with the chopped green herbs as garnish.

Nutritional benefits: Monounsaturated fat; micronutrients, including lycopene from tomatoes and isoflavones from soy.

Nutritional Information:

Per serving:

196 calories

8 g total fat (1 g sat)

0 mg cholesterol

30 g carbohydrate

7 g protein

8 g fiber

250 mg sodium

Hummus

10 servings

This wonderful bean spread has gained in popularity over the past few years. Our version has all the benefits of a more traditional recipe, but with less olive oil. The combination of garbanzo Beans (also called chickpeas), tahini, lemon juice, cumin and garlic is a show-stopper. This is wonderful as a sandwich spread or as a dip with raw vegetables or pita triangles. Keep a batch in your refrigerator all the time and you'll never be without a nutritious snack or lunch. Ingredients:

1-3/4 cups dried chickpeas (garbanzos)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup sesame tahini

1/4 cup cold water

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

3-4 cloves garlic, mashed

1 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil

Instructions:

1. Soak the chickpeas for 8 hours with the baking soda in cold water to cover.

2. Bring the chickpeas to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover, and cook until soft, about 45 minutes. Drain, reserving a bit of the liquid.

3. Make the tahini sauce: Blend in a food processor or blender the tahini, cold water, lemon juice, cumin, and garlic. Measure out 1/2 cup of this sauce for the hummus, saving the rest.

4. Put the drained chickpeas in a food processor and process to a rough purée, adding a little of the cooking liquid if necessary. The mixture should not be totally smooth. Add the tahini sauce and process until just mixed.

5. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Stir in the olive oil.

6. Serve with pita bread, whole-grain crackers, or carrot sticks.

102 calories

5 g total fat (1 g sat)

0 mg cholesterol

11 g carbohydrate

4 g protein

3 g fiber

150 mg sodium

chocolate Ricotta

Two 1/4-cup servings

This high-calcium "pudding" has the benefits of cocoa and cinnamon - and the flavor of Mexico. Experiment with different brands of ricotta - they have different textures and flavors.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese

2 tbsp mild honey

2 tbsp cocoa powder

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions:

1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.

2. Scoop into small dessert dishes and serve.

145 calories

3 g total fat (2 g sat)

11 mg cholesterol

24 g carbohydrate

10 g protein

2 g fiber

100 mg sodium

Black Bean Soup

8 Servings

Among the most inexpensive of foods, dried beans offer a bounty of fiber, Iron, protein, folic acid and B Vitamins. Black beans, also known as "turtle beans," are an especially tasty variety, and make a lovely soup. Do not salt dried beans until they are cooked, as the salt slows down the softening process. On another note, so-called "cooking" wines or sherries contain lots of added salt. Do your palate and your body a favor and use a drinkable sherry in this recipe. Ingredients:

1 pound black beans

1/3 bay leaf

1 large onion, sliced

Salt to taste

A few cloves of chopped garlic

1 tsp dry mustard powder

1 cup dry sherry (not cooking sherry)

Instructions:

1. Pick over beans to remove any dirt, stones or foreign objects. Wash well, then soak for 8 hours in ample cold water.

2. Place beans and soaking liquid in a large saucepan with 1/3 bay leaf and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off foam, lower heat, and simmer, partially covered, till beans are just tender, about 1 hour.

3. Add onion and continue to cook until onion melts into liquid, about 1 more hour.

4. Add salt to taste and garlic. Continue to cook, adding a little boiling water if necessary, until beans are very soft and start to melt into liquid, about 1-2 hours more.

5. Remove bay leaf and turn off heat. Ladle beans in batches into blender or food processor and puree or use an immersion blender and puree soup directly in the saucepan.

6. Add dry mustard powder and dry sherry. Correct seasoning. Reheat and serve, adding any garnishes you wish, such as slices of lemon or freshly chopped herbs.

103 calories

3 g total fat (0 g sat)

19 g carbohydrate

3 g protein

4 g fiber

220 mg sodium

Potato pancakes

8 pancakes

I have made these at the house of a friend who gives a party featuring potato pancakes every year. He loves making them and gets really creative, tossing in hot sauce or different herbs. You can be as creative as you like with yours. Mine are a simple version, and I like to serve them with fresh applesauce.

Ingredients:

3 large Idaho or Yukon potatoes (about 2 pounds)

1 large sweet onion

1 cup matzo meal, medium grain

1 egg

1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste

1/4 cup olive oil

GARNISH:

Low-fat sour cream

Fresh applesauce

Instructions:

1. Peel and grate the potatoes and onion by hand or in a food processor and put them in a large bowl. (If you grate the potatoes ahead of time, make sure to soak them in water to keep them from turning color, then drain and squeeze when ready to use.)

2. Add the matzo meal and the egg. Sprinkle in the salt and blend everything together until the onions and potatoes are coated with the egg and matzo meal. Let stand for 5 minutes.

3. With clean hands, roll a ball of dough just big enough to fit into the palm of your hand, and flatten it out with your palms to make a round cake. Repeat the process until you have used up all the batter.

4. Set a medium saucepan over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Lay 4 pancakes in the hot oil and cook for 1 minute on each side, until they turn golden brown. Transfer the pancakes to a paper towel to soak up any excess oil. Repeat, adding more olive oil to the pan, until all pancakes are cooked. Serve with sour cream and a side of fresh applesauce.

246 calories

8 g total fat (1 g sat)

27 mg cholesterol

39 g carbohydrate

5 g protein

3 g fiber

Stuffed Potatoes

6 Servings

As it can be difficult to coax your loved ones into eating five helpings a day of vegetables (as nutritionists recommend), this recipe cleverly incorporates broccoli into a baked potato, without using a lot of fat. Broccoli is an excellent source of fiber and cancer-fighting antioxidants. Potatoes are a universally loved vegetable loaded with vitamins C and B-6, potassium, and fiber. You can make the stuffed potatoes ahead and reheat them when everyone is ready to eat. Ingredients:

3 large baking potatoes

3 stalks broccoli

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon olive oil

1-2 tablespoons rice milk or soy milk

2 Tbls. grated parmessan cheese

Instructions:

1. Scrub the potatoes and make shallow cuts around their middles to make it easier to cut them in half after baking. Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees until soft, usually 1 hour, depending on size of potatoes.

2. Meanwhile, cut the ends from the stalks of broccoli and peel some of the outer skin off to make the stems more edible. Steam the broccoli until crunchy-tender and bright green. Drain and chop fine.

3. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Add the salt, olive oil and just enough rice or soy milk to allow you to mash the potatoes into a smooth paste. Add the Parmesan cheese and the chopped broccoli and mix well.

4. Pile the mixture back into the potato shells, arrange on a baking dish and heat them to desired temperature.

136 calories

4 g total fat (1 g sat)

2 mg cholesterol

24 g carbohydrate

5 g protein

4 g fiber

250 mg sodium

I get these great recipes emailed to me from Dr. Weil's website. They are supposed to be very healthy and natural. I am going to start posting them here, under this reply daily. This reciped sounds like a convenient food to take with you on the go since they are in muffin size, you'd get your protien and veggie, plus some healthy tofu!

Dr. Weil's health plan can:

• Help you address your health issues
  • Help you achieve a healthy weight
  • Increase your energy and stamina
  • Unleash your creativity
  • Provide exciting challenges for your mind and body
  • Change the way you approach life

Audree

I started with a BMI of 32-33. I'm 5'6 1/2 and weighed 210. I lost the weight very fast. Not like in the past but my body has shown it as well. I havent been working out and my skin is very saggy. I suggest you workout with weights while you are losing. I really havent stuck to a diet because I've been too tight to eat even a small meal. I eat lots of junk food, mashed potatoes, Soup, Cookies candy etc. Not good.

I started with a BMI of 32-33. I'm 5'6 1/2 and weighed 210. I lost the weight very fast. Not like in the past but my body has shown it as well. I havent been working out and my skin is very saggy. I suggest you workout with weights while you are losing. I really havent stuck to a diet because I've been too tight to eat even a small meal. I eat lots of junk food, mashed potatoes, Soup, Cookies candy etc. Not good.

Stella: How much have you lost and how long did it take you? Audree

Hey Audree,

Just a quick note to let you know it's so normal to be a little scared. My gosh, i was going nuts the day before surgery, only to find out, it wasn't the so scary.

From your support on the line, it's clear you've educated yourself, and have a positive attitude, that's half the battle.

Rachael:)