Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Can you tell me how many pounds you lost a week on average? Did you have a lot of platueaus? I just want to know things like this in advance so I don't get discouraged.

Thanks! Audree

Hi Audree, I am losing on a average of 1 -2 lbs per week. I started out on surgery day September 25, 2006 at 206 LBS and I am now 189. There are some weeks I did not lose anything. Oh well...What is great for me I am an insulin diabetic I have so far dropped more than 1/2 of my insulin dosage by having the surgery...for this I am grateful.

I know for me I LOVE instant gratification. I want to be a size 2 by tomorrow...YEAH RIGHT. :cry That is certainly not going to happen.

I wish you loads of luck on your surgery. I have read many of your posts and I know you will be fine!! :clap2:

All the best in the New Year to you all LAP BANDSTERS!!

LYNN

Hi there,

I was banded by Dr.Ortiz in March '06 and have been at my goal weight since Oct. I was a starting BMI of 36. I lost very quickly and I do think it was mostly due to my extreme exercising. It didn't come off very fast at first but once I started picking up my workouts the weight came off much faster (10-15lbs a month). Just wanted to wish you luck:) Dr.Ortiz is the best and if you work at it you can lose just as fast, if not faster than those higher BMI folks! Good luck on a wonderful journey:biggrin1:

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/154/160

5'8''

Hi Liz!

That is some of the best news I have heard!!!!!:nervous It is good to hear there are lower BMI bandsters who have lost at a good and consistent pace. I am doing my own little poll on how diet and exercise effect the weight loss and the rate of weight loss. Can you please tell me what kind of "diet", way of eating you followed?

What I have found so far, is that those who stick to the doctors advice of prtein first and veggies/fruit plus exercise lose the best.

What kind of workout schedule did you follow? Running, elyptical?? Weight training?

Did the exercise help with exess skin?

Did you use any supplements? appetite suppresants, Vitamins, etc

What kind of beverages did you drink?

Thanks!!! Audree:clap2:

Hi Audree, I am losing on a average of 1 -2 lbs per week. I started out on surgery day September 25, 2006 at 206 LBS and I am now 189. There are some weeks I did not lose anything. Oh well...What is great for me I am an insulin diabetic I have so far dropped more than 1/2 of my insulin dosage by having the surgery...for this I am grateful.

I know for me I LOVE instant gratification. I want to be a size 2 by tomorrow...YEAH RIGHT. :cry That is certainly not going to happen.

I wish you loads of luck on your surgery. I have read many of your posts and I know you will be fine!! :clap2:

All the best in the New Year to you all LAP BANDSTERS!!

LYNN

Hi Lynn!

Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on your weight loss! For me I will see it as a blessing if I can lose 2 pounds a week. I don't think I want to lose any faster because I don't want to have any excess skin. I already have had a few surgeries to nip and tuck excess skin from one time when I dropped from 240 to 145. I had major bat wings, my skin looked like hanging gum. So, I had bracheoplasty (arm lift) about 2 years ago. They took like half of my upper arm. Now, I need to tone them!!!

I also had a Tummy Tuck and Breast Aug (before the arm lift). I do not want to have another surgery, that was more than enough for me to last a lifetime!!!!!!!:faint:

So, I want to tone as I lose and I don't want to have hanging skin. I have heard there are creams and soaps in TJ that people use to tone skin. My friend had given me some and believe it or not it worked. Now, I will ask Dr. Ortiz and staff what they can recommend, if they know what cream and soap I am talking about.

Also, has anyone heard of SKIN BRUSHING?

I had read on it a few years back and just wondered if anyone has heard about it or done it. You are supposed to brush .your skin with natural boar brisel brushes. It is supposed to stimulate the skin and tone and tighten it. I am going to look into it again and post my findings here.

Audree

Ok Audree,

We will keep each other in check. I rode my exercise bike yesterday for 20 minutes. I will do it again today!! So now I have to do it since I told you I would.

After you have your surgery, be sure to take it easy on the exercise. Just walk for a while. Then you can do more later.

Today has been the hardest day for me yet. I am hungry, tired, sleepy,and nervous. I walked earlier this morning, but it was very cold outside(40 F). I feel so guilty because I am not accomplishing very much. I have started Vitamins and I'm eating Protein. I am also drinking Water. My band was done open, so I know it will take longer. Anyone else having "sinking spells"?

Dianne

Thanks for this string Audree. I started at a BMI of 38. I am 5'11" and was banded in May '06. Today I have lost 80lbs (260lbs down to 180) about 2.4 lbs a week I stuck to the "rules" for eating and drinking for at least the first 4 months. I didn't start excersising until I hit my first plateau at 210lbs. Now I excersice 5-6 days a week (Eliptacal for 35 minutes at level 9). I am currently at a plateau and have been within the same 2 lbs for almost 2 weeks. I guess the extra holiday Cookies and candies aren't helping! LOL!

My sister was banded in February with a BMI of 50 and has lost over 130 lbs with another 75 to go. It has been nice to share our adventure and we have our own language to talk about the band when we are in public.

Theres no trick to the band. It is a catalyst for change not a magic pill. You can still consume as many calories a day as you wish. Not in the same way as we used to with Pasta and cakes. However, you can eat small Snacks or meals all throughout the day, throw in a milk shake or 2 and there's your extra calories. Drinking calories is nice since you don't have to worry about your band getting stuck.

As with all things in this life its about your attitude, and Audree, you have the right attitude. Keep up the good work to all of us.

Happy New Year!

Hey Guys!

Jules: I love the idea of posting what we exercise and keeping each other to it! I took my kids to Ikea and walked around and chased my lil one for 2 hours. I hope that counts, it's more than I've done in a while.:)

Ddee: Keep up the good work. You will heal soon! Do you where a compression garment? When I had my Tummy Tuck, it really helped me to where a compression garment (like a girdle) to hold my incision. It felt a lot better. I actually have my old one. Does anyone know if they advise us to wear one with this surgery? When I wore it, it helped with my discomfort and swelling, it felt like it held everything in and kept the incision in. When I took it off, I felt like crap. I had to wear it for 6 weeks, even slept with it for 2 weeks and then took it off at night. Maybe you can get one since you have a bigger incision. Even if mine is supposed to be laprascopic, I am going to ask my doctor about using it. They cost like $80 because they are medical compression garments. They are from the bottom of your bust to above your knees. It zips up the sides.

Lab Rat: Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I am really enjoying meeting so many new people and look forward to getting to know you all!

I start my pre op tomorrow!!!!!:clap2:

Finally!!! Audree

Hey Audree and julestwu, I rode the bike at the gym yesterday and today. Way to go Jules!

Let's make sure we keep each other accountable!!! I walked 2 hours at Ikea with my kids. I am tired. I also need to get my elyptical in from the garage!!!!

What does everyone think about having a daily posting of our exercise and eating, etc???

Audree

I beleive they let you use there phones to call home. I heard the hotel was 5 Star and immaculate. One thing I heard is that the mattresses are very, very firm, so I was thinking of taking my own pillow (Temperpedic). I called my Cingular carrier and they said if I add on a International plan for 3.99 a month (I can cancel anytime), I will have service and only 49 cents a minute.

Audree

Hi! When I was there (Dec 18) it was a little chilly to use the pool. I was very happy with the food. Had the best spinach salad of my life in the dining room there. Very reasonable prices too. When I checked in I asked for a room overlooking the pool. It was very relaxing. The alternative is a room with the balcony on a very busy street....not so relaxing!

At the clinic everyone has there own room. You can call home from the clinic at no charge. The phone is right at your bedside so it is very convenient. They are so awesome there! I had an amazing experience!

Best wishes to everyone!

Hi! When I was there (Dec 18) it was a little chilly to use the pool. I was very happy with the food. Had the best spinach salad of my life in the dining room there. Very reasonable prices too. When I checked in I asked for a room overlooking the pool. It was very relaxing. The alternative is a room with the balcony on a very busy street....not so relaxing!

At the clinic everyone has there own room. You can call home from the clinic at no charge. The phone is right at your bedside so it is very convenient. They are so awesome there! I had an amazing experience!

Best wishes to everyone!

Thanks Bandiva!!!

I will have to remeber to ask for a room overlooking the pool. I am very sensitive to noise and a noisy street would drive me nuts!!!

Was the spinach at the Lucerna? I love a good spinach salad! I heard that if you eat light and don't have a crazy last supper, you won't have bad gas pains. So, I want to eat as light as possible.

Did you only eat the spinach salad before the banding? Are you experiencing gas pain? I am just wondering if it is true about eating light from the pre op to a light last supper and the gas pains correlation.

I can't wait to have my awesome experience!!!! Audree

I was reading the posts of another board and they had two good tips.

1. In your morning coffee (since some people have trouble eating Breakfast due to the band being tight) put in a scoop of chocolate Protein Powder.< /p>

2.At Wal Mart they have a creme called Scar Zone that helps with the scars, but also works very well with the redness and itchiness. She said it worked better with the itch than hydrocortizone, etc.

I just wanted to pass this on!!!

Audree

I dont know how true it is about eating light pre op and gas pain, but I'd NEVER go into surgery having had a big big meal the night before. When they say fast from 12am they dont mean eat a bucket of Kentucky Fried until you're bursting and then stop at 12 am. A light meal the night before is a good idea, if you eat too much it wont be digested and clear for the surgery which can place your life at risk.

Hi Everyone:

I'm getting banded on 1/10/07; I"ll be at 38 BMI. I have been seeing a dietician for over 2 years now. Based on what I'm reading about what BabyGotBack and Sherrijo ate for the day, I can assure you both that you aren't eating enough! Even though you have the band and it is restrictive, you still have to get in enough calories for your body to function. What is happening is that you RMR is decreasing and when that happens, your body automatically programs itself to "hold on" to whatever few calories is being taken in so weight loss slows dramatically. If you haven't had your RMR taken, please consider this. It is sometimes called the MED GEM test. Most people range anywhere from 1400-2500 kcals needed per day just to nothing but sleep. I'm not claiming to be an expert but I encourage you to research this better. Good luck.