Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

I have a bmi of 32, I was banded Thursday and am still sore today. I had a level 3 h. hernia which turned my proceedure into a much larger surgery than was expected. I'm glad I was able to get both done at the same time.

Some have expressed concern about whether getting the band in the right thing to do for low bmi's. I can't talk about weight loss yet but let me tell you about the support I have recieved.

First, I come from a family of large men. My brother currently weighs over 450 pounds and my dad passed away at 84 weighing over 300 lbs. His mother was also very large but lived to be 100.

My nephew is a general surgeon in Nashville Tenn. He does a lot of bariatric surgery and has completely supported me. He knows the struggles I've gone through to keep my weight down. My wife is a nurse practioner and she was the first to mention the idea. My surgeion is a close personal friend who has known me and my family for 15 years. Needless to say, he has been very supportive.

All this to say, the medical professionals who care the most about me all agree that banding is the way to go, even though I'm a 32. I know each person is different, but I thought it would be encouraging to those who are hearing negative from freinds who really don't understand.

I can't wait to start the wieght-loss part of this journey. I'm pretty sure I've lost 5 pounds since the pre-op diet so I have 35 to go.

mcd

banded 12/14/06

Dr. Frank Felts

Dallas

:eek: :) :)

I would love to start a little BMI group aswell. My BMI was 35. I had surgery around a month ago and am waiting patiently for that first fill. Good luck to everyone.

Hello Fellow Low BMI ers:

How is everyone doing today?

What was your menu like?

Did you exercise today?

Did you drink enough low calorie beverages?

I am starting my new exercise program on Monday. My preop doesn't start until Dec. 30. I almost can't wait till then. I like to have guidelines or I feel out of control. I am eating what I want right now, and feel out of control. I can't wait to be banded.

20 days till banding!!!

Audree:clap2:

Hello fellow lower BMI party people!!!

Jane: I didn't go for my walk :) Why can't I get off my butt and start exercising again? I love the way I feel when I do.

Christa94, JDru, BeacheeGirl, Julestwu and Big Girl Banded (I hope I didn't miss anyone): Nice to meet you guys! I look forward to getting to know all of you, doing this together and helping each other through the different hurdles we will face.

You guys are right about the low carb in the strict form like Atkins. The way I liked to do it was more like a South Beach Diet, having whole grain breads, whole grain Pasta, staying away from white flower products and sugar. I try to eat more organic when my finances allow for it. I think I will try to have a small salad with chicken and some veggies to keep things well rounded.

I just recieved Dr. Ariel Ortiz's book "Lap Band For Life". I started reading it and I am even more impressed with him. There is a section where the inventor of the lapand writes the foreward of the book about Dr. Ortiz. It is a really good book. I am about to start reading about the nutrional section. I will be posting different things I find that I think will be interesting. I also bought a bood that has recipes from a lady that used to write for Gourmet magazine. She got banded and just revised all her recipes for lap band friendly recipes. They sound really good!

I want to go for a walk today. I just feel like I have a mental block and CAN"T do it!!!! I can't figure it out!

I am not on my pre op diet yet, so I am eating regular. Still trying to keep it pretty decent. I am having Protein shakes for Breakfast and usually a quesidilla for lunch. I am taking liquied Vitamins and liquid B complex, cod liver oil pills and a eating suppressant called Green T?

How are the ones that are banded taking there pills? Do you have trouble taking them?

Have a great day!!!!! Audree,

I am not sure if you should be taking cod liver oil pills so close to surgery. Check with your doctor on that. I know you have to stop taking Vitamin E but make sure...it's very important!!!

I just wanted to see how you are all doing?

Today I did it!!!! I went to the gym after not doing any form of exercise for 1 month. I did the treadmill. I went on for 1 hour on an incline and did 3 miles!!!

I just feel like I should be doing something toward my surgery to make it seem more real. I am just on the normal diet. I don't have to start my preop till 1 week prior to my surgery on Jan.5. So I don't start till the 29 or 30th. So, I think that if I exercise now and get back into the habit, my recovery will be better and I will be more agreeable to start back right away my exercise regimine.

I have read Dr. Ortiz's book "Lap band for life" It is really awesome. The maker of the lapband Dr. Belachew, wrote in his book as well as many very well known surgeons. He gives very good advice in his book about nutrition. Here are some of the highlights on his chapter on nutrition.

10 Rules to Success

1. Eat only 3 meals a day. (By eating 3 meals a day, you fill your pouch, feel full, then allow enough time to empty it to feel hungry again, and then repeat your cycle.)

2. Eat solid foods only, slowly and chew thoroughly ( 20 times a bite)(Some people have a difficult time with solids in the morning hours. Open up your band by starting with a couple of glasses of liquids before your first meal. you should be eating a 1/3 of the volume of food you were used to eating. the brain takes 20 minutes to detect that your stomach is full)

3. Stop eating as soon as you feel full.

4. Do not wash down your solids with liquids. (Do ont drink within 20 minutes before a meal and an hour after.)

5. Do not eat between meals. ( You may be experiencing head hunger, not real hunger)

6. Eat only good quality food.

7. Avoid fibrous food.

8. Drink enough fluids during the day.

9. Drink only low calorie liquids.

10. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.

I have been taking cod liver oil pills because I was told they were really good for your health. I was doing the Makers Diet and it was recommended there. Why can't you take Vitamin E before surgery?

I have stopped taking the cod liver oil, but am taking Omega 3, 6, 9. I will ask my doctor. Thanks for letting me know!!

Audree

I got this list out of Dr. Ortiz's book LAP BAND FOR LIFE.

:hungry:

Cereals-grains like Beans, lentils or whole wheat bread or oats

Vegetables-carrots, cabbage, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, mushroom, onions, tomatos, squash

Fresh Fruit-He suggest one piece at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Apple, blueberry, grapefruit, kiwi, orange, plums, mango

meat, poutry, fish-the size a deck of cards, light meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, legumes, egg whites.

Milk, cheese, yogurt-2 servings a day. non fat or 1% milk, low fat cottage cheese, nonfat yogurt

Fat-3 servings. avocado, almonds, a little olive oil.

Drink 6-8 glasses of Water a day, low cal drinks such as Crystal Light.

Buy a pedometer and log at least 10,000 steps.

Audree

I think Vit E and any Omega supplements can thin your blood - a bit risky before surgery. Just something to ask about I guess.

I tend to eat more often than 3 x per day these days. I've always been a 3 meals per day dieter, I find snacking just gives me more opportunity to overeat. but on the weekend for example, I ran 10km on Saturday evening, walked 8km on Sunday and played 3 hours of beach cricket.

I eat a small meal and I am STARVING an hour later. I have 3ml in my band. I dont really want more fill at this point, I have 7kg to go to get to my goal weight and it just seems pointless to have done this whole thing without being tight only to get more fill now to stop snacking when really, I"m hungry because I'm burning up mega calories. With a band, I cant eat enough to fuel my body for the amount of exercise I do without eating more than 3 times per day.

But I'm not losing now, so who knows.

hi all - I heard about the low bmi thread but I'm just now checking it out. Audrey I'm glad you started it.

I'm Steph - from Shanksville, PA (where Flight 93 went down), 44, married, 3 kids, 22,20 & 16, boy and then 2 girls. I started with a 40 bmi. Well the first visit I weighed 220 and said I was 5'3" but that put me at a bmi of 39 so he remeasured me and I am now 5'2 1/2" - lol - that 1/2" put me at 40 bmi - during the 6 month pcp weight study I gained 6 lbs so pre-op I was 226. I was banded 12/11 just one week out and I'm about 15 lbs down. I didn't know lower bmi's had a harder time losing - news to me.

My eating plan is to eat healthy - I plan on following the nutrionists diet, Protein first, then vegs, fruits, carbs ... I really want this to be a lifestyle change - not a diet! I promised myself that my pre-op diet would be my last! I will probably journal my cals just to see how I'm doing but I hope to get into a healthy eating lifestyle.

I work at a private golf club and I've been watching how people eat the past 5 years - one lady in particular - she's in her 50's, a grandma and thin - I see her walking by the club everyday - she walks 9 holes when she golfs - and when she comes in for lunch she either has Soup and a salad or she shares a sandwich with someone - for dinners she won't eat gravy's or fatty foods - and she looks wonderful! I think she eats a dessert at dinner but only then - and once I saw her share a cookie with another lady. She's my idol. Seriously - its my goal to eat healthy, walk everyday, and stay healthy on through my later years. She's not even really pretty or even "good looking" but she just seems healthy to me. And she dresses beautifully! I always think if I could just lose the weight I am going to dress so nice! All last summer I wore capris with a button up shirts - to hide the fat - next summer I am going to wear skirts and sleeveless dresses.

Thanks Big Girl Banded! I have FINALLY begun to feel a little restriction over the past few days and experiencing more fullness than before, which happily, is helping curb the appetite. Tomorrow I go for another fill and I'm feeling more positive that this will be the one that does it.

Thanks for coming and checking out the group!

I have read people say that lower BMI's have a slower weight loss, but when I actually talk to the people that have lower bmi's and lost they still lost, but you always slow down when you get closer to your goal.

The think they stress is if you want results, especially being lower BMI, you need to really stick to the rules and exercise. I plan on really keeping to it. I didn't do all this and pay out of my pocket to not get results.

Is there anyone out there that is banded and a lower bmi who can tell us there weight loss story and if it did take longer or if it was just consistent loss?

Thanks,Audree:clap2:

Lap-Band System

After surgery, it is extremely important to follow diet guidelines to assure proper healing and to obtain adequate nutrition. Your pouch that is created by the Lap Band needs to heal, so you must sip fluids slowly and avoid getting overfull. Once your pouch has healed, you need to continue to keep portion sizes small to maintain your weight loss. You will progress through the following phases of the Lap-Band diet after surgery.

• Liquid diet. For the first two weeks following surgery, you will consume only liquids. For one to two days after surgery, you will need to sip only Clear Liquids or fluids that you can see through. Clear liquids include diluted apple juice, chicken or beef broth, sugar-free Gelatin and artifically sweetened, non-carbonated beverages. If you tolerate clear liquids without difficulty, you may add full liquids to your diet. Full liquids include the broth of low-fat, creamed Soups, Protein Shakes, milk, yogurt and sugar-free puddings. Most people require two high-protein supplements daily. Your dietitian will calculate your individual Protein needs and provide examples of how to achieve this amount. Avoid carbonated beverages as they may cause gas, bloating and pain.
  • Pureed diet. You will need to puree your foods for approximately two weeks. Your meals will be small and should focus on high-protein foods.
  • Regular diet. By 5 to 6 weeks after your surgery, you will be incorporating foods with more texture to your diet. You will always have to chew your foods thoroughly, avoiding tough meats, fibrous vegetables and doughy breads. But your diet should ideally include low-fat Proteins, fruits and vegetables, healthy carbohydrates and heart-healthy fats.

Protein. Getting adequate protein in your diet promotes proper healing and also helps your body to maintain muscle and lose fat. It is important to choose lean protein foods because they are lower in calories and will help ou maintain your weight loss. Also, high-fat foods can cause dumping syndrome and make you sick after surgery.

Protein is made up of amino acids. The body can make 13 amino acids, but nine amino acids are essential, meaning they cannot be made in the body and must come from food sources. A food source is said to be complete if it contains adequate amounts of essential amino acids.

The following types of protein products are readily available:

• Whey is a byproduct of the dairy and cheese industry and is a complete source of protein.
    • <LI class=copy>Whey isolate has virtually no lactose in it. Lactose is the sugar naturally found in milk. Some people become lactose-intolerant after surgery and experience gas and bloating after drinking dairy. If you are or become lactose-intolerant, whey isolate would not cause intestinal distress. Lactaid milk and soy milk are great alternatives for people who are lactose-intolerant.
    • Whey concentrate may contain some lactose in it; however, most people can tolerate this product without problems.

[*]Soy products are made from soybeans. Soybeans contain all the amino acids essential to human nutrition and are a complete protein source.

[*]Hydrolized gelatin or collagen. These products do not contain all essential amino acids and are not recommended for weight loss surgery patients.

Protein shake recipes. Protein shakes are needed to get adequate amounts of protein after surgery. We have specific products that we recommend, but remember that if you do not like the taste of your shake you are less likely to drink it. The following recipes and tips may help you improve the taste of your shake.

Simple Shake (28 grams protein)

1 scoop vanilla whey Protein Powder (20 grams protein)

8 ounces fat-free milk

Mix well in shaker cup or blender.

Banana/Peanut Butter Shake (12 grams protein)

8 ounces fat-free milk

1 tablespoon creamy Peanut Butter

1/4 - 1/2 banana

Blend until smooth in blender.

Orange Dreamsicle (28 grams protein)

1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (20 grams protein)

1 scoop (individual serving) sugar-free Sunrise Orange Crystal Lightâ powder

8 ounces skim milk

Alternatives: substitute 4 ounces orange juice for 4 ounces milk; substitute 4 ounces yogurt for 4 ounces milk; add 1/2 tsp. orange zest to shake.

Hot Cocoa (13 grams protein)

1 tablespoon Splenda

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa

2 tablespoons dried milk powder

8 ounces non-fat milk

Dash salt

Blend Splenda, unsweetened cocoa, dried milk powder and salt in large mug. Blend in milk, stirring until dissolved. Microwave 1 minute on high or until hot. Can also heat in saucepan on stove.

Tips for Protein Shakes.

• <LI class=copy>Use flavorings such as vanilla, almond and coconut extracts to improve flavor. <LI class=copy>Coffee added to chocolate-flavored protein powder makes a mocha-flavored shake. <LI class=copy>Bananas, strawberries and peanut butter add the most flavoring to shakes. <LI class=copy>Unflavored cocoa powder can be added for a deeper chocolate flavor without adding fat. <LI class=copy>Freeze milk in ice cube trays to make milk cubes. Blend these with your shake to make it icy cold and to add protein without diluting your shake. <LI class=copy>If you are lactose intolerant, you can use Lactaid milk or soy milk to add protein to your shake.
  • Yogurt can be added to shakes to increase creaminess and protein.

Long-term Tips

It is important to make healthy food choices throughout your weight loss process to be as healthy as possible while losing weight. Healthy food and lifestyle choices are critical to maintain your weight loss long-term. These tips are recommended for people who are in the maintenance phase of weight loss.

• <LI class=copy>Eat three meals a day. Have a healthy snack only if hungry. Skipping meals does not promote weight loss and results in overeating in the long run. <LI class=copy>Eat lean proteins first at each meal. <LI class=copy>Include fruits and vegetables with meals. <LI class=copy>Avoid drinking fluids with meals. Fluids may force foods through your pouch too quickly. This may cause dumping syndrome in gastric bypass patients but may cause all patients to become hungry quickly and eat more food throughout the day. <LI class=copy>Strive to drink 6-8 cups of Water daily. Artifically flavored drinks are fine, but we recommend that you avoid carbonated beverages, even diet soda. The carbonation in diet soda may contribute to enlargement of the small pouch. <LI class=copy>Chew foods thoroughly. Your small pouch will not be able to physically break down foods that have not been chewed to a liquid consistency. <LI class=copy>Avoid problematic foods such as tough, fibrous or overcooked meats; doughy breads; pasta; rice; skins and seeds of fruits and vegetables; nuts and popcorn. <LI class=copy>Stop eating when you begin to feel full. It is critical that you do not eat to the point of feeling overfull. People have stretched their pouch by eating too much and have regained weight. <LI class=copy>Take daily Vitamin and mineral supplements. Have labs checked annually. <LI class=copy>Weigh yourself weekly. It's much easier to correct a 5 pound weight gain (physically and psychologically) than a 25 pound weight gain. <LI class=copy>Attend support group meetings. Don't "forget" that you have had weight loss surgery. Staying in touch with other weight loss surgery patients is a great way to reaffirm your journey and stay on track.
  • Exercise. Many patients know people who've lost weight without exercise, which may be true for a single individual, but most people who do not exercise have a more difficult time reaching and maintaining their optimal weight loss. And exercise has multiple benefits in addition to controlling weight such as decreasing risk of cardiac disease; lowering blood pressure; improving mental function; improving blood glucose levels; reducing risk of some cancers; and improving immune function. Try to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day. Physical activity is defined as activities in addition to normal daily activities such as work, shopping or housekeeping.

Hope this helps! Audree :clap2:

Hello everybody!!

How are we all doing? I am anxious as heck! I am starting to feel nervous now. I can't believe that Christmas is here this weekend already. I am going to eat to my hearts content! Then my pre op diet starts on Dec. 30, surgery is January 5. My pre op is only one week, thank God!

I have been eating way out of control. I know I have gained some weight. I didn't get to exercise today, but I ran around a ton doing last minute Christmas shopping. So, then that must count because my legs are killing me.

Is anyone going to be taking appetite suppresants during the 6 weeks before getting there first fill? I read some people actually gain weight during this time because they have no restriction yet.

Looking forward to hearing what other Lower BMI ers have done to lose the weight.

Is there anyone with a low bmi that had trouble losing or is it a myth?