Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Hello everyone,

I am also a lower BMI 36 (if I don't stop with my Last supper syndrome it may be higher here soon!) I am getting banded Jan 13th also in Mexico and love the Idea of a lower BMI group. It helps to have a group with people in the same spot as you. (We could even set it up as a Yahoo group to make it easier to read and find. Just a thought.)

Well Happy Holidays to all!

Sara

I am also getting banded in Mexico, on Jan. 5 by Dr. Ortiz.

What do you mean by doing a yahoo group to find it easier?

Let me know what we have to do!

I am having major "last supper" syndrome, but it includes last Breakfast and last lunch syndrome also. I know for sure I have gained weight. I feel it and I feel like a rollie pollie!!!:faint:

I, in a strange way, can't wait to begin doing my pre op diet on Dec. 29. , only 6 days to go till pre op! I almost can't believe it. This weekend is Christmas, and my kids are on Christmas break, so I know this next week will fly!!!! Then the following weekend is New Years. I will have a few days to get my stuff ready, Thursday January 4, I will drive out to Mexico and get banded on Friday the5th!

I can't wait!

Merry Christmas everybody!!!! Audree

Mysherrijo, have you heard anything about Dr. Sanchez? I heard from a friend who was banded in MX this year who said he had been murdered. Dr Sanchez banded me for the first time in 2005. The band slipped from overfill in the states; I was rebanded Dec. 8, '06. Please let me know if you have any info about Dr. Sanchez.

Also, I started at 211 lbs. in '05; lost down to 135 before the band slipped; gained to 166; have lost to 156 since surgery. I am walking 30 minutes each day and struggling to drink Water (mainly in the form of Diet Citrus-flavored Green Tea and Peach-flavored Crystal Lite).

Hi Ddee!!

Can you share as a lower bmi bandster, how you did it? What you think helped you be successful?

Many say that lower bmi bandsters lose slow and have trouble loosing? Did you find that was the case with you? How much did you lose a week and was is consistent? Did you hit many plateaus?

There is a thread about Dr. Sanchez. If you do a search, there is actually the article someone translated into English. Unfortunately, it is true.:)

Audree

My BMI was 34.9 but I had lots of co-morbidities. I have not lost weight as quickly partly because I did not have as much to lose, but I have lost steadily and I am very happy with my results.

If you only have 50 pounds to lose (I had 73 but I changed my goal weight to a very ambitious number), don't be disapointed if it takes a little longer. In the long run it is much healthier that way and probably more permanent!

Can you tell me how many pounds you lost a week on average? Did you have a lot of platueaus? I just want to know things like this in advance so I don't get discouraged.

Thanks! Audree

Audree, I did lose pounds very slowly, but without exercising at all. I lost sizes in my clothes quickly. When I lost a pound, it never came back though. My fills were being done by a nurse Dr. Sanchez had done the surgery on who lives in the states. It was probably 7 mo's before knew what PB'ing was because my fills were never tight before then. I became discouraged and had the nurse to do tighter fills, started pb'ing and the band slipped. This time I am seeing a dr. who will encourage me to lose faster, I'm sure; he will moniter my fills, encourage walking, drinking Water, and , hopefully, I will lose faster. I didn't worry about calories before because I rationalized that I was eating so much less quantity. I will be more calorie conscious now. I think the difference will be in the doctor visits. If you don't have a doc in the states, please get one. Those who keep in close contact with a doc seem to lose more rapidly. Remember when you lose a pound, it is gone forever! No more yo-y0 dieting.

Dianne

Diane:

Thanks for the encouragment. I am actually only 2 hours from my Dr. in Mexico and my friend, who lives near me and had her surgery with the same doctor, we will be going up together to get our fillls together and turn around and come home.

So, did your band slip because they overfilled you? Was it done under fluro? Dr. Ortiz only does it under fluro.

I can't wait to start losing and that I will never gain the weight back. I think I will also work on getting a credit card that will always be on standby in case I'd ever slip. From what I read, the pbing is what causes the slips. Is that what you have found to?

Audree

Audree, it's great that your dr. will be convenient and even better that he does the fill under fluoro. I have to believe the combination of overfill from the US nurse and being on a 3-day vacation with my sister (for her nerves) when I realized that I could not keep down liquids made saving my band impossible. I know that a having a convenient dr. would have made all the difference. The instructions that the nurse gave me did not help matters. I blame my ignorance as well. Even though many people pb without consequences, I will not be one of them in the future. I have been out thousands of dollars (borrowed) as well as the mental anquish. I do exactly what the doc says, and I will not take the band for granted in any way. I did have from July 2005 to March 2006 without any problems before. I was just beginning to reach my goal weight and got too carried away with pbi'ng; that is what I think did it.

Dianne

I was wondering, I filled out the Ticker from Tickerfactory.com, but how do i get it on my posts?

I was just wondering if there is anyone else who would like to have a lower BMI group. Give stats, helpful advice and how much weight you have lost, how long it took. etc. Does it really take a lower BMI patient a lot longer to lose the weight? What kind of helpful advice do you have (those of you who didn't start off lower BMI, but now you are!):clap2:

for us?

I started with a bmi of 35. My first 20 pounds came off easily in the first two months. I have since had to work for every pound!! Ive had one fill and could tell a slight difference. I get food stuck if I eat too fast. I am not going to get another fill unless I slow down- since I HATE that golf ball feel and seem to visit it weekly. I have 40-50 or so pounds to loose. My surgeon said IT DOES take the lower BMI pt the longer time to loose and not to expect it to fall off. 1-2 pounds a week and at the end of 2 years I will have most of it off. Im just thrilled so far and am SOOOO pleased that I have been able to not gain thru the holidays and actually loose even though it is S L O W!!!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I have always lost weight slowly and steadily, and have only had a few plateaus. Usually when you plateau you should get a fill, but if you are too tight,as strange as it sounds, you will probably NOT lose weight. And you will be miserable.

Remember, everyone is different!

Audree, it's great that your dr. will be convenient and even better that he does the fill under fluoro. I have to believe the combination of overfill from the US nurse and being on a 3-day vacation with my sister (for her nerves) when I realized that I could not keep down liquids made saving my band impossible. I know that a having a convenient dr. would have made all the difference. The instructions that the nurse gave me did not help matters. I blame my ignorance as well. Even though many people pb without consequences, I will not be one of them in the future. I have been out thousands of dollars (borrowed) as well as the mental anquish. I do exactly what the doc says, and I will not take the band for granted in any way. I did have from July 2005 to March 2006 without any problems before. I was just beginning to reach my goal weight and got too carried away with pbi'ng; that is what I think did it.

Dianne

Can I ask you what advice the nurse gave you so I make sure to not do it? What would your best advice be for us new people who are not banded yet and those who are banded, to not pb.

Thanks!!! Audree

I started with a bmi of 35. My first 20 pounds came off easily in the first two months. I have since had to work for every pound!! Ive had one fill and could tell a slight difference. I get food stuck if I eat too fast. I am not going to get another fill unless I slow down- since I HATE that golf ball feel and seem to visit it weekly. I have 40-50 or so pounds to loose. My surgeon said IT DOES take the lower BMI pt the longer time to loose and not to expect it to fall off. 1-2 pounds a week and at the end of 2 years I will have most of it off. Im just thrilled so far and am SOOOO pleased that I have been able to not gain thru the holidays and actually loose even though it is S L O W!!!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Wow, 1-2 pounds lost a week sounds like a dream. I have done the most strict diets, fasts, extreme workouts with trainers burning a ton of calories and wouldn't lose 1-2 pounds in a month!!!!:faint:

1-2 pounds would be perfect and then I wouldn't have to worry so much about the skin sagging. I want to do this thing right from the get go. That is why I am picking all those experienced bandsters brains!!!!:girl_hug:

Audree