Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Hi fellow low BMI's,

I was banded 12/23/06 with a starting BMI of 33. At my pre-op appointment on 12/19/06, I weighed 198 lbs (at 5'5".) Six days later, my weight is 187. Needless to say, I feeling VERY motivated!

Like many other low BMI bandsters, I am trying to stay on the liquid diet for as long as possible to maximize my weight loss results. Another thing I plan to do in order to get the most out of the band is to avoid "cheat" foods like ice cream, milk shakes and custard.

Frankly, I can't understand why there are people on this forum advocating these food items as part of the lap-band diet. These are high-calorie, high-fat foods that will eventually slow and possbily even stop the lap band's progress.

I am a firm beleiver that the lap band is a means to something more than just rapid weight loss. It's also a teaching tool to help us re-learn how to eat, what to eat, and how much to eat.

Bottom line: at any BMI, If milk shakes and ice cream are still on your menu, your aren't making that greater lifestyle change.

Audree this is a good thread.... I don't know where I have been because I have been addicted to LBT since I found it. You and I have the same surgery date, woohoo! My BMI is 33, although it is probably 34 now with the holidays and "Last Supper Syndrome"

I have learned so much on this forum and everyone is very helpful. Happy holidays all!

Hi Susan!! Where are you getting your band put in? I am having mine done in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz. I know I definitely gained some weight and feel like a stuffed tomato! When do you start your pre op? I am supposed to start seven days befoe the date, so I start Dec. 29. I am supposed to drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast and a Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner. I would love to keep in contact with you. I think it's neet to have someone who is near your stats and getting banded the same time. That way we can compare how we are feeling,etc.

Talk to you soon!!! Audree:o

Oh, I dont know. I'm a believer in all things in moderation. I cant remember the last time I had a milkshake because its not something I would have had prebanding either but I certainly have foods that I love that arent healthy choices, and I've not given them up entirely.

I think the goal is to learn to handle those trouble foods, not just ban everything from the menu. I'm happy that I now eat like all the other normal weight people I know in my life. I dont ban anything from the menu, but I dont overeat anything either - good or bad.

But that's a personality thing, some people do better on strict diets, the thought makes my eyes glaze over with boredom. I'm not giving up an occasional glass of wine for anybody. And the occasional piece of chocolate is necessary for my sanity, lol. And I've still lost weight.

Thanks Jaqui for that, I'm with you. The more I tell myself I can't have something the more insanely I want it. I go into major deprivation mode and it really works against me. I end up putting on more weight. Thats why "diets" have never worked for me. Sure I would lose the weight, sometimes 50-60lbs. But as soon as I went back to regular food it's like I wanted to make up for all that I missed, and I would end up putting it back on +5, even if it took a whole year to put it back on. I'm a firm believer in everything in moderation. If you feel you really have to have it, then have it, or you'll end up "eating around it" consuming more calories anyways. But I guess this is why we have chose the band, so as not to do this.

I still take a half a pill of my adipex because I don't think I have the amount of restriction that I need yet. I've had one fill and I am not gaining or losing.

Audrey, I am going to Mexico to be banded by Dr. Joya. I am pretty excited about it. My pre-op diet is the same as yours, Dec. 29th but as much of a liquid diet as possible. My surgeon was adamant about the liquid part, because I was thinking of modifying it to be just lower calorie. So this week I am trying to be better since the holidays are over, and that way the pre-op diet won't kill me.

It will be really interesting to see how we do. You have asked and posted some really good questions.

As far as the liquid diet... my .02 is that it is basically a crash diet or a diet that is intended for medical purposes. I want to do the surgery so that I can have a healthy relationship with food without being overpoweringly hungry. Staying on a crash diet for as long as possible sounds to me like "fat think" or an extreme relationship with food. All or nothing. On an abnormal and unbalanced diet, the metabolism will react by slowing down and will burn equal amounts of lean body mass and fat to sustain function.

For me the end does not justify the means. When I get skinny I want to have a toned and healthy body... not a starved and weak body.

Hello. I was banded on Dec19, 2006. I'm One week later, today, I'm still on clear liq. You have lost a lot of weight in short period of time.

What did eat in the lat few days to promote a big weight lost? I'm running out of foods to try. I'm getting tired of broth and Jello.< /p>

I wish you great sucess on your journey.

Hi fellow low BMI's,

I was banded 12/23/06 with a starting BMI of 33. At my pre-op appointment on 12/19/06, I weighed 198 lbs (at 5'5".) Six days later, my weight is 187. Needless to say, I feeling VERY motivated!

Like many other low BMI bandsters, I am trying to stay on the liquid diet for as long as possible to maximize my weight loss results. Another thing I plan to do in order to get the most out of the band is to avoid "cheat" foods like ice cream, milk shakes and custard.

Frankly, I can't understand why there are people on this forum advocating these food items as part of the lap-band diet. These are high-calorie, high-fat foods that will eventually slow and possbily even stop the lap band's progress.

I am a firm beleiver that the lap band is a means to something more than just rapid weight loss. It's also a teaching tool to help us re-learn how to eat, what to eat, and how much to eat.

Bottom line: at any BMI, If milk shakes and ice cream are still on your menu, your aren't making that greater lifestyle change.

Wow, 32 pounds in 5 months!!!!! That is amazing!!! I have never been able to lose like that even with fasting. I can not wait to begin.

Audree

Hi Audree,

I'm shocked nobody else has said anything to you about this - are you sure you don't have an insulin problem or something? If you can't lose 32 pounds in 5 months fasting (fasting = not eating or going on a <450cal VLCD) then you wont lose like that with a lap band either. It's not magic all it does is cut down how much you eat, and if you arealdy tried eating so little "fasting" as you mentioned and working out hardcore with trainers and strict diets without losing more than 1lb a month it sounds like there is serioulsy something wrong there. Unless what you are really saying is not that you can't lose weight fasting but that you can't stick to a fasting or any other type of diet - as in you cheat by eating something or a lot of somethings that you wern't suposed to? - is that what you really mean?

There are a lot of people who find this stuff out after paying $$$ for a band - get yourself tested first - it could save you a lot of $$$ and heartache if it is something that can only be cured with a pill and not a band.

Lower BMI's only seemingly lose slower because their basal metabolic rate is lower than higher BMI's since they don't have an extra 100'lbs to carry around each day (the more overweight you are the more energy it takes to maitain that weight).... once higher BMI's get down into the low 30's they have the same experience; if not more difficult; than those starting out with lower BMI's have.

If you put your mind to it, are willing to do anything (don't be one of those people that goes into it saying "I wont do this that and the other" etc.) and you don't have a medical condtion preventing it the 1-2lbs a week is very realistic for any BMI. Remember 1lb is less than half a kilo.

Ultimately with the band it comes down to calories which are about your food choices... if you choose to eat moderate-high calorie you lose slow, if you choose to eat low-superlow calorie you lose fast.... it's really very simple! If you don't want to do the math with the band and you are losing slowly it's by choice (and that is perfectly fine! most people are happy to lose slowly instead of counting cals); you can always do the calorie math and speed up your results (unless you have head-hunger or emotional eating issues which makes it hard to keep the cals down unless your really fond of celery when your emotional!).

BTW - great idea starting a seperate thread for the lower BMI'ers - the food chocies and portion sizes are a lot different to the higher BMI'ers startin gout.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery :)

Cam.

I actually did go get a full physical with blood work, the whole 9. I don't have any medical problems. I actually never fasted for long periods of time on just shakes. I did something called the Daniel Fast, which still allows food, but I think I just ate too too much of what was allowed. I was fasting with shakes for breakfast and lunch, but my dinner was just in way to large of quantities. I did Atkins, but then again, my portions were enormous.

The only time recently I lost weight, was doing something called the 6 Week Body Makeover (which I may do again on the band since it falls into all the banding rules and I do better on a plan of some sort) and replacing all 3 meals with shakes.

My main problem is my portions are just way to big, too many calories in one sitting. I can out eat my husband and he is a very muscular and tall guy who can eat a lot. He does not and has never had a weight problem. He eats when hungry and stops when he is full, what a novel idea!!!:faint:

He is really happy for me that I am getting banded. That look in his eyes, when I get a hold of a new diet, where I will lose weight this time, is pain for me. Before I got banded i was all excited about starting the eat healthy 80% of the time and allow myself to eat whatever 20% of the time (but no matter how healthy, if I have a big serving and go back for thirds....)he just looked so sad. I asked him what was wrong and he said that he felt bad for me, we had had the same "new diet" talk so many times before..... I feel like I will be finally set free of this "hell". Has anyone seen Groundhog's Day? That is how I feel on a diet. Get up and live the same yo yo diet, recycled diets, fad diets, etc.

Audree

My BMI was 35.4. I am 5'2" and weighed 191, now I weigh 181. I was banded by Dr. Rumbaut on 12/5/06, and am now currently on mushies. I usually try to walk in my neighborhood once a day. Feel better everyday, and my scars have healed.

I am like Audree... I can do crash diets until I crash. I can eat healthy until I starve myself into a pig out....

I am like Audree... I can do crash diets until I crash. I can eat healthy until I starve myself into a pig out....

Thanks!!! Now I dont' feel so alone! :clap2: I was just telling my mom that I don't even feel it in me anymore to try "another" diet. If it weren't for the band, I think i'd give up. I don't have it in me to crash diet again. My mom was asking me wasn't it always easy for me to lose, but that is not the problem. I did lose many times over and over, just to gain it back over and over. i just can't keep it off. The best time was when I went all the way to 140 and squeezed my butt into a size 5 somehow. Those pants only fit me for 1 week and I started ballooning right back up. It was so fast, i didn't even get to enjoy it.

Before the band, I was thinking about doing something like LA weight loss, but KNEW I'd gain it back the second I lost it. I have never been able to do the maintenance section of any diet.

Audree

I really want to use the band to be able to stay on a diet like Weight Watchers. It is a healthy way to eat. I have done well with it before, and even lost 50lbs in 2004... but reached a point where I was starving. Now I have gained 40 lbs of it back. So my goal is to go on a diet like WW that is healthy and works and is a good way to eat and not a crash diet.

I really want to use the band to be able to stay on a diet like Weight Watchers. It is a healthy way to eat. I have done well with it before, and even lost 50lbs in 2004... but reached a point where I was starving. Now I have gained 40 lbs of it back. So my goal is to go on a diet like WW that is healthy and works and is a good way to eat and not a crash diet.

Susan:

We really think alike. I also want to follow some type of organized eating plan. I think I will do the 6 week body makeover or the Makers Diet. They are both really healthy. I will probably take a few of the eating plans I have done and rotate them.

I was thinking of also taking an appetite suppresant to ease the huner pangs when they come. I want to do everything in my power to not pb or gets so hungry that I eat too fast or something. I see some people are really against it, but some take them also. I think I may do it until I get the right restriction and maybe only during that week before my period and during times I may go to a BBQ or something to take the edge off. I took something called quick slim 30 and it worked very well. All natural and it is in a little capsule that comes apart and is powder inside.

2 more days till our pre op!!!! I have not heard of your doctor before. I wonder if he is close to my doctor. I am going to be staying at the Lucerna hotel during my stay. That is where the doctor puts up his patients. Where are you staying?

Audree