Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

baby got back your bmi and weight and weight goal are the same. IM 5"2 186pds I have to weigh 206 before the insurance will cover it. Where did you have your surgery?

I'd like to know how so many of you seem to only be off work a couple of days after surgery. I was in the hosp for 2 days, then off work for a week after that! I'm older than you (59), but still! I guess I could have gone back to work a little sooner, but they said no driving until your 1-wk post-op doctor visit.

I was banded 6/20/06 at 256 (5'10") but broke my leg 3 weeks later and was pretty much in a wheelchair for 2 months, so I'm running a bit behind on exercising etc. But physical therapy is great!! Gets me out of bed in the morning to go there before work. Have lost 35 lbs, mainly due to the liquid diet post-surgery. 2 fills have not given me much restriction... 3rd one scheduled for January.

Sylvia T.

In my experience low BMI bandsters do well BUT - the weight loss is very slow. Whether you weigh 500 pounds or 200 pounds, weight loss with the band is about a 2 year process. If you are only needing to lose 50 lbs with your band, that will still come off over a 2 year period. You would probably in this scenario lose 30 lbs the first year and 20 lbs the second year. So that's roughly about a half pound a week at best. The moral of the story is - the weight WILL come off, just not overnight!

Good luck,

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I was just wondering if there is anyone else who would like to have a lower BMI group. Give stats, helpful advice and how much weight you have lost, how long it took. etc. Does it really take a lower BMI patient a lot longer to lose the weight? What kind of helpful advice do you have (those of you who didn't start off lower BMI, but now you are!):clap2:

for us?

baby got back your bmi and weight and weight goal are the same. IM 5"2 186pds I have to weigh 206 before the insurance will cover it. Where did you have your surgery?

Hi LaJuanna!

I will be having my surgery next Friday with Dr. Ortiz in TJ. He is one of the best. His book is excellent also, Lap Band For Life. He charges $8500 and it covers being driven to and from, and accomodations for three nights at a five start Hotel called the Lucerna.

Audree

I'd like to know how so many of you seem to only be off work a couple of days after surgery. I was in the hosp for 2 days, then off work for a week after that! I'm older than you (59), but still! I guess I could have gone back to work a little sooner, but they said no driving until your 1-wk post-op doctor visit.

I was banded 6/20/06 at 256 (5'10") but broke my leg 3 weeks later and was pretty much in a wheelchair for 2 months, so I'm running a bit behind on exercising etc. But physical therapy is great!! Gets me out of bed in the morning to go there before work. Have lost 35 lbs, mainly due to the liquid diet post-surgery. 2 fills have not given me much restriction... 3rd one scheduled for January.

Sylvia T.

Welcome SylviaT!!

Sorry to hear about your leg. 3rd time will hopefully be the one to get you to the sweet spot I hear about! Congrats on the 35 pounds

Audree

In my experience low BMI bandsters do well BUT - the weight loss is very slow. Whether you weigh 500 pounds or 200 pounds, weight loss with the band is about a 2 year process. If you are only needing to lose 50 lbs with your band, that will still come off over a 2 year period. You would probably in this scenario lose 30 lbs the first year and 20 lbs the second year. So that's roughly about a half pound a week at best. The moral of the story is - the weight WILL come off, just not overnight!

Good luck,

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Thanks Dr. C for coming over to our group to answer this question!!! It is great having a medical opinion!

Audree

All this eating pre-op!! Goodness, my surgeon required several days of liquid diet, plus a colon cleans (strong laxative) the night before surgery.

Regarding the compression garment, after surgery the hosp had me in a thing like a wide waist cincher. From below the bust to top of hips. Very uncomfortable as it kept riding up and choking me around the ribcage. Had to wear it for 4 weeks everywhere except in bed.... they said it was to prevent a hernia. But it was helpful in supporting the fresh incision sites.

Sylvia T.

All this eating pre-op!! Goodness, my surgeon required several days of liquid diet, plus a colon cleans (strong laxative) the night before surgery.

Regarding the compression garment, after surgery the hosp had me in a thing like a wide waist cincher. From below the bust to top of hips. Very uncomfortable as it kept riding up and choking me around the ribcage. Had to wear it for 4 weeks everywhere except in bed.... they said it was to prevent a hernia. But it was helpful in supporting the fresh incision sites.

Sylvia T.

Hi SylviaT!

Not too many people are familiar with the compression garment. I used one like you are describing for my c-sections. I used a full body one after my full Tummy Tuck. It made me feel more comfortable, I felt like it kept my insides more secure. It is also supposed to help with swelling. I am going to ask Dr. Ortiz for one!

Audree

Thanks, Audree. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Hey can you (or anyone) please tell me what PBing is??

Sylvia T

SylviaT, pbing is a "productive burp". Some people find that if they eat to fast, don't chew well, take too big bites, or eat too much, the food comes back up since it won't get past the stoma. It is not vomitting, but there is a pain in the chest, most people say it feels like a golf ball. Then, something calle "sliming" might occur. Where thick saliva may keep on coming out of the mouth to help the food back up. Then the food just comes back up intact, the way you swallowed it. I read somewhere that it helps just to bend over in front of the toilet and just let it come out. You are not supposed to drink anything during this time and also have to go on liquids for a day or so?

I am not banded yet, but I read a tremendous amount. I am on these boards for a couple hours a day. I also search the internet for info and post what i find here. I also bought Dr. ORtiz's book Lap Band for Life and have read it 2 times.

I also read some people may get nauseous during this time, some peope say it is a pain in the chest, not in the lower stomach.

I hope this helped!!

If you are already banded, you are very lucky you don't know what a pb is since that probably means you haven't had one!!:nervous

Audree

Thanks, Audree. I have had that happen several times since my June banding. I just figured it was called vomiting! If PBing is what it's called, jeez it sure feels like throwing up, NOT like burping. Having it happen is a huge relief, tho, from the pain of the food being stuck at the band. Not to be too graphic, but you can tell the food hasn't come up from the stomach, as it is not mixed with acid and so isn't nasty like it is when you have the stomach flu. By the way, do you think the "stuck" term is the same as what some call the golf ball?

Sylvia T.

SylviaT: I think the stuck feeling is the same as the golf ball people talk about. I may be wrong since I am not yet banded and am just going on what I have read.

I found this info from the bandsters group and thought it had some great advice.

Question: "Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me who has experienced what I'm currently going through. I had a slight .1 cc fill last friday and ever since I have

been coughing up flem and bits of my food at nighttime. I try not

to eat after 6:30p. Not to sound gross, but it is mostly flem and

liquid. When I get up from bed and walk around, I am totally normal

and fine. Do you think it is because of the slight fill or do you

think it is a slippage or Hiatal hernia? I had a hiatal hernia

repaired last year due to the band. Please let me know if anyone has

experienced this."

Answer: "That sounds like reflux. Whether it's from your recent fill or a

hernia or change in eating, I can't say. But what I do know is it is

not something to be ignored.

Some things to consider:

-Do not lie flat or bend over soon after eating

-Do not eat late at night or just before bedtime

-Rinse your pouch with a glass of Water an hour before bedtime

-Certain foods or drinks are more likely to cause reflux:

o Rich, spicy, fatty and fried foods

o chocolate

o Caffeine

o Alcohol

o Some fruits and vegetables

Oranges, lemons, tomatoes, peppers

o Peppermint -Use baking soda toothpaste instead

o Carbonated drinks

-Eat slowly and do not eat big meals

-If you smoke, quit smoking

-Reduce stress

-Exercise promotes digestion

-Raise the head of your bed (not just using extra pillows which can

actually worsen reflux)

-Wear loose fitting clothing around your waist

-Take estrogen containing medications in the morning

-Avoid aspirin, Aleve and ibuprofen at bedtime

-Take an antacid (Pepcid complete) before retiring

-Try other over-the-counter heartburn medications

-See your health care provider

Try some of these changes and if you don't get relief, I would suggest

a visit back to your fill person."

I hadn't thought of rinsing my pouch at night by drinking water. I haven't even read them, so I wanted to post them here!

Audree

Hey Audree,

How is your second day of pre-op going? Have you made it out of the house to move? Or used the elliptical trainer?

:faint: I haven't exercised today yet...... I am going to bring my elyptical in, it may to heavy for me to bring upstairs to my room where I want to put it. I also have some dancing dvds that are great exercising workouts.

My second day is going much better than yesterday. Thanks for asking.:biggrin1:

I ate some stirfry green Beans and corn with my Lean Cuisine and that filled me up better. I think I will take a side of veggies if I feel I need it and for me pre menstrual hunger is major hunger!!!! I get soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hungry the week before my period. I hear peoples bands swell during this time so it will help me not over eat like I ususally do during this time.

How are you doing today?

Actually, since you mention it. I am right where you are as far as TOM and I have been eating a lot! Not pre-band a lot, but the pass three weeks since my third fill a lot.

I had oatmeal for Breakfast with a teaspoon of flax seed for added Protein

a hamburger patty (about 4 oz) for lunch with cheese on top and some mushrooms ( I had been craving this for 2 days)

then I've grabbed about 3 handfuls of chips that I bought for the kids.

And it is only 4 o'clock.

But, we are going bowling so that will get me away from the kitchen. I thought things would be really tight because I should be bloating right about now, but I'm still losing weight, although much slower, down from 162.5 to 162.2 in the last two days, so maybe I'm not retaining Water this month?

Anyway, I should never buy those chips for the kids. My doctor assured me the kids didn't need them any more than me, but I bought them anyway cause I'm dumb.

If you can't get the elliptical out, put on some music and vacuum while listening to music, that always makes me dance.

I'm glad its better. For me, day 3 was the worst. I chewed lots of gum and stayed REALLY busy, of course it was summer and easier to be busy, but maybe you can find something exciting to do.

After that, I think my stomach got smaller and I didn't feel as hungry.