Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Hi Susan!! Where are you getting your band put in? I am having mine done in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz. I know I definitely gained some weight and feel like a stuffed tomato! When do you start your pre op? I am supposed to start seven days befoe the date, so I start Dec. 29. I am supposed to drink a Protein shake for Breakfast and a Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner. I would love to keep in contact with you. I think it's neet to have someone who is near your stats and getting banded the same time. That way we can compare how we are feeling,etc.

Talk to you soon!!! Audree:o

Rehi Audrey! I just might meet you coming or going, I sure hope so. I am 5'3" and weigh about 195lbs. The BMI is a fraction under 35. I could have gone the insurance route but I didn't want to wait, and, after researching the docs, felt comfortable with Dr. Ortiz. My only concern is post-op pain. I have to fly back to the east coast, with a stop in between, then I'll get there at about 10:30 PM and then drive the hour and a half home. Yuck, not looking forward to that! But then I'll be off work for the rest of that week so I'll just DO it! I enjoy your posts and your enthusiasm and I hope we can keep in touch afterwards too.

ps, I have already scheduled my first fill with Dr. Ortiz on Feb. 19th! Wopuldn't it be cool if we ended up getting that first fill on the same day!

Cheers,

Susan:)

I know! We are really coming down to the wire on our surgery! Dr. Joya is in Puerta Villarta. I picked him because I felt the most comfortable with him in terms of his answers to my medical questions and my specific health concerns. I had initially considered Dr. Rumbaut but he never got back to me and I tried to contact him three times. I then considered Dr. Rodriguez but I wanted an Inamed certified physician and Dr. Rodriguez is Swedish band certified. So I went with Dr. Joya... and it is going to be $8k including airfare, which was really nice. I haven't seen too many of Dr. Joya's patients on this forum, which is the forum I like the best, but I have seen other forums where he has had all positive feedback.

I have a question... what do we need to present in order to get over the border in terms of identification? We are sneaking in under the wire on the required passport thing, for which I am glad.

As for the appetitie suppressant, my thought is that I would rather take that than PB. And I cannot stand being hungry for days on end. I don't mind it for a little while but when I wake up starving then I am GROUCHY. So if I need something before I get a good restriction, I am like you, I will take one. I am kind of adopting a wait and see attitude about it until I actually get there.

I am SO excited about the surgery. I really hope I am one of the ones with awesome results! I am also think we have a lot in common and similiar goals so I am glad you are being banded on the same day.

What are your plans? I leave here Friday and am coming back Sunday and planning to work on Monday. I think Monday is going to be a very tough day for me but I don't have any time to take off.

Susan and Audree,

I think that is an excellent idea to do something like WW for maintenance. I did well on WW but then the old problem of feeling deprived kicked in, and I gained all of it back. Oh the shame and embarrassment. But, with the band's help, maybe I can just stay on the WW plan, since it's nutritionally sound (except for using margarine). I always used olive oil or butter instead.

Audree, I was thinking about using the pool at the Lucerna the evening before my surgery but I wonder if the water's clean. Plus, I look ridiculous in a bathing suit. Anyway, have you gotten any info about how cellphones work there? Will we have access to a phone to call home?

Talk to ya later!

Susan

Susan, I agree WW is a good basic plan to start with... but margarine is GROSS. Also they didn't emphasize exercise enough in my opinion.

Are you being banded on the 5th too? I should go back through this post and check but I am lazy...

Our cell phones with Verizon did work in TJ, but we were charged for roaming and out of country calls, so beware, don't think the calls are free. Others have said that their phones were picked up by a cell tower in San Diego and they didn't have to pay extra, so it just depends on your company. We called ahead and verizon had us download a program to our phones so we could place international calls, probably what it did was updated our GPS so we couldn't get the calls for free.

Make sure you join a gym and work out after 6 weeks, before that go for long walks, We tried for 3 miles each and every day. Both my hubby and I recovered quickly. Were teachers and were on summer break, so didn't have to go back to work, but I think I could have. I felt great. Matter of fact, we were bored in TJ (Not big shoppers) and had planned on staying 4 days (cause we both had surgery at the same time we got extra days) but after the second day we couldn't think of anything to keep busy with. I spent as much time catching rays at the pool as was physically possible.

Anyway, we went to San Diego and got a hotel for 2 nights, til our flight left. We went to the zoo the first day, that had a lot of hills to climb and we were pretty tired by the end of the day. We rode the bus around to make sure we had seen everything before we left.

The next day, we went to SeaWorld. We were there from 9-5 and saw EVERY show. We were not hungry at all, but the food smelled really good. We drank a lot of Water and ate slushies to keep hydrated as it was summer and very hot.

I was not even hungry for at least a week after my surgery. About the time I got hungry, I was able to start on full liquid and then I did cheat a few times and eat before I was supposed to but only small amounts. Hubby tends to be more of a cheater than me.

As far as doing Weigh Watchers, I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but remember, this is the ultimate change in lifestyle. You need to learn what works for you. And, no filling up on salad and veggies like most of these diets try to get you to do. Protien comes first. Many times, after I've eaten my Protein, I have no room for anything else.

All this being said, if that is what you want to do, do for it. After surgery I quickly lost like 15 lbs. By the time I went to get my first fill, I had gained back 7 or so, but as soon as I got my fill, like within 3 days, that weight was gone again. Remember, you will be healing from major surgery, even though you may feel great, your body NEEDS calories to heal. Do NOT focus on weight loss the first 6 weeks, I know, I know you got the surgery to lose weight and you want it off right now. So do I.

However, I am only 41. I have been overweight since I was 6 months old. I can wait another few months to lose weight and be healthy.

So can you, right! Yeah, we want to look great, and that is a huge bonus. But, to be healthy is much better. I can't even tell you how great it feels to go skiing for 7 hours and still have energy when I'm done. To work all day and come home and think, okay, now what do I want to do?

Another huge benefit, is when I sleep, I sleep. I don't wake up tired and go to bed tired and drag myself around all day.

Okay, I'll stop preaching. This is a lot, l know. I just worry that you might think your a failure if you aren't at goal weight in 6 months. My hubby is going through a hard time right now cause he isn't losing weight, it is very frustrating for him and me.

LOVED your post Deckedout. I agree with everything you said. And I will make sure to do the Protein first so I don't stuff myself with too low of calorie stuff first. I work out a whole lot already and will hopefully need to maximize my calories!

Rehi Audrey! I just might meet you coming or going, I sure hope so. I am 5'3" and weigh about 195lbs. The BMI is a fraction under 35. I could have gone the insurance route but I didn't want to wait, and, after researching the docs, felt comfortable with Dr. Ortiz. My only concern is post-op pain. I have to fly back to the east coast, with a stop in between, then I'll get there at about 10:30 PM and then drive the hour and a half home. Yuck, not looking forward to that! But then I'll be off work for the rest of that week so I'll just DO it! I enjoy your posts and your enthusiasm and I hope we can keep in touch afterwards too.

ps, I have already scheduled my first fill with Dr. Ortiz on Feb. 19th! Wopuldn't it be cool if we ended up getting that first fill on the same day!

Cheers,

Susan:)

Susan:

Are you going alone? You are very brave. I was going to go alone too, but my mom is going to go with me after all. I would love to stay in touch and compare our journeys. What day does Feg. 19th land on. I can see about going on that day too. :nervous

Audree

I know! We are really coming down to the wire on our surgery! Dr. Joya is in Puerta Villarta. I picked him because I felt the most comfortable with him in terms of his answers to my medical questions and my specific health concerns. I had initially considered Dr. Rumbaut but he never got back to me and I tried to contact him three times. I then considered Dr. Rodriguez but I wanted an Inamed certified physician and Dr. Rodriguez is Swedish band certified. So I went with Dr. Joya... and it is going to be $8k including airfare, which was really nice. I haven't seen too many of Dr. Joya's patients on this forum, which is the forum I like the best, but I have seen other forums where he has had all positive feedback.

I have a question... what do we need to present in order to get over the border in terms of identification? We are sneaking in under the wire on the required passport thing, for which I am glad.

As for the appetitie suppressant, my thought is that I would rather take that than PB. And I cannot stand being hungry for days on end. I don't mind it for a little while but when I wake up starving then I am GROUCHY. So if I need something before I get a good restriction, I am like you, I will take one. I am kind of adopting a wait and see attitude about it until I actually get there.

I am SO excited about the surgery. I really hope I am one of the ones with awesome results! I am also think we have a lot in common and similiar goals so I am glad you are being banded on the same day.

What are your plans? I leave here Friday and am coming back Sunday and planning to work on Monday. I think Monday is going to be a very tough day for me but I don't have any time to take off.

I am driving out of Rancho Cucamonga, CA Jan. 4, Thursday after noon to arrive hopefully about 6pm. My hotel accomodations are in TJ at the Lucerna Hotel. They will pick me up Friday morning. I will stay the night and go back home on Saturday. Where are you coming from and what are your plans? Audree

Susan and Audree,

I think that is an excellent idea to do something like WW for maintenance. I did well on WW but then the old problem of feeling deprived kicked in, and I gained all of it back. Oh the shame and embarrassment. But, with the band's help, maybe I can just stay on the WW plan, since it's nutritionally sound (except for using margarine). I always used olive oil or butter instead.

Audree, I was thinking about using the pool at the Lucerna the evening before my surgery but I wonder if the water's clean. Plus, I look ridiculous in a bathing suit. Anyway, have you gotten any info about how cellphones work there? Will we have access to a phone to call home?

Talk to ya later!

Susan

I beleive they let you use there phones to call home. I heard the hotel was 5 Star and immaculate. One thing I heard is that the mattresses are very, very firm, so I was thinking of taking my own pillow (Temperpedic). I called my Cingular carrier and they said if I add on a International plan for 3.99 a month (I can cancel anytime), I will have service and only 49 cents a minute.

Audree

Can you believe it is going to be 2007?????

I can't believe it. I am finally going to be able to keep my New Years Resolution to lose weight "this" year and not ever gain it back!!!! I can really say it and believe it this time. I can really say I am going to get back to the gym and get firm and tone this time. It is going to change my life. I have no energy right now and would take a nap and go to bed early if I could. I get really cranky due to lack of energy. I always feel like crap when I don't exercise regularly. I was a few months ago, and fell of the wagon and couldn't get back on.

What is your goal for weight loss???

Mine is hopefully 30 pounds by my 12 year anniversary on July 1st (do you think that is doable for a lower bmier in 6 months?)

and the last 20 by my birthday on November 8.

I think that is a pretty reasonable goal.

How are we all doing on our preops?

Mine starts tomorrow. I can have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and a Lean Cuisine for lunch/dinner. I have been drinking my Water and crystal light.

Talk to you soon! Audree

Those are great goals Audree. You can do it. Especially since you will be working out. I am excited for you. Only one week to go. Woo Hoo.

Those are great goals Audree. You can do it. Especially since you will be working out. I am excited for you. Only one week to go. Woo Hoo.

Thanks for the encouragement Jules!!!!

Let's keep each other accountable for the exercise. I just can't see to do it. I always need a push and accountability. If I knew I had to answer to you guys to say if I worked out today, I would fee like I HAD to do something!!!!!

Have a great day! Audree

Hi there,

I was banded by Dr.Ortiz in March '06 and have been at my goal weight since Oct. I was a starting BMI of 36. I lost very quickly and I do think it was mostly due to my extreme exercising. It didn't come off very fast at first but once I started picking up my workouts the weight came off much faster (10-15lbs a month). Just wanted to wish you luck:) Dr.Ortiz is the best and if you work at it you can lose just as fast, if not faster than those higher BMI folks! Good luck on a wonderful journey:biggrin1:

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/154/160

5'8''