Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I've been dreadful since scheduling my surgery. It's like I've lost all sense of self-control about my food. I keep feeling like it's my last chance to eat this, that, or the other. So then I start thinking that there's no way I'll succeed with the band. Sigh.

No worries...I think that we all did that! I called it my last supper syndrome. The cool thing with the band and I should have listened is that you will be able to eat everything again, just not the amounts that your used to.

It is a way of life...your on your way and will do fine!

No worries...I think that we all did that! I called it my last supper syndrome. The cool thing with the band and I should have listened is that you will be able to eat everything again, just not the amounts that your used to.

It is a way of life...your on your way and will do fine!

I've been having my last supper, Breakfast, lunch, snack, cocktail, dessert, etc. etc. Not so good.

So I guess I am reporting my weigh in results. I don't weigh at home anymore (cuz it makes me insane) so I only get results when I go to Dr K's office. I weighed in last Thurs and was down 1 lb in the last three weeks. It is frustrating to lose so slow but I got a fill so hopefully that will help. Are we reporting results weekly? If so, I may have to break out the scale at home. I'm gonna count that one lb towards my 20lb goal and I'm gonna kick up the exercise like crazy.

I just signed up for the Oyster Race in downtown Denver Aug 16th so I have to do some major training in order to be ready for it. The team I am doing it with are all athletes so I am very intimidated. Its a race that incorporates running, biking, paddling, roller blading and navigation skills with brain teasers and a scavenger hunt. I don't even know how to roller blade so that is my first fear to concer. Anyone know where I can get some size 8-8/12 womens roller blades?

Mal, you are welcome for the clothes. I hope that some of them work out for ya.

Bahot, I'll call you and we can rendesveux. So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope that you give yourself all of the love she would have given you if she was still here. I bet she is so proud of you right now!

You people are evil with all of your cyber-fooding. Yeesh. Oh wait, I'm going to talk about food...:wink2:

Those Magical Peanut Butter Cookies are awesome. I used to make them with sugar & now I can do it with Splenda. Every time I gave the recipe to someone they said...but there's no flour, how does it work? It does. It's magical!

OK, these are not healthy at all...but I get Shape magazine and this month's issue is the 100 Best Snacks or something along those lines. And I saw...Sara Lee Cheesecake Bites. Evil, right? Well, they're like half an inch square and only 20 calories, about 1.5 g of fat per bite. If you can just eat a few, you can get delicious cheesecake without having that whole piece. I managed to just eat three.

ShelbiCallie, here's the recipe for Mediterranean Sweet Potato Pizza...did I mention it was on the BBC show "You Are What You Eat"? Well, I modified that recipe slightly. Anyway...one piece is plenty for me and I don't have any problems with any of the veggies or crust. So if anybody reading this does, proceed with caution. :smile2:

Makes 2 medium pizzas (eight slices total)

Ingredients:

Topping:

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes

1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped

1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed

1 tsp dried oregano or mixed Italian herbs

2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil

2 small bell peppers (red, green and/or yellow), deseeded and sliced

2 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced

1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into wedges

1/4 cup sliced green or black olives

1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

fresh basil leaves, to garnish

Crust:

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks (about 2 cups' worth)

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup cold Water mixed with 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic and mixed herbs or oregano in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes until the onion is softened and the sauce is thickened, stirring regularly. Cool. If smooth sauce is your thing, go at it with a stick blender or put it in a regular blender (but wait until it cools to avoid splattering).

While the Tomato sauce is cooking, boil the sweet potato in a large pan of water for about 15 minutes until very soft. Drain well, return to the pan and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C). Place the sweet potato in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder and salt.

Stir in the water and oil mixture with a large spoon until the dough comes together. Knead lightly to form into a large ball, adding a little extra flour if the mixture seems too sticky.

Divide the dough into two equal balls and roll out on a lightly floured board into two circles around half an inch thick. Lift carefully onto two baking sheets that have been lightly oiled or sprayed with cooking spray. Brush tops lightly with olive oil. Place both pizzas in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Then remove and top with tomato sauce, vegetables and cheese, leaving half an inch around the rim. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until well risen and lightly browned. Serve garnished with basil leaves.

If you don't want to make both pizzas at a time, you can wrap one half of the ball of dough in plastic wrap, then in foil or place in a freezer bag to make the other pizza later. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, roll out, top and bake as usual.

Nutrition Info per slice:

Calories: 276.7

Total Fat: 5.7 g

Cholesterol: 8.2 mg

Sodium: 424.8 mg

Total Carbs: 47.1 g

Dietary Fiber: 3.9 g

Protein: 9.7 g

As for your family gatherings, I don't see why you need to tell anybody you're banded. If they ask, just say that you're exercising, eating healthy and watching your portions. No lies there! My family still doesn't know I am banded and I intend to keep it that way. Nobody has commented on my weight loss, either...I keep wondering if it's not noticeable or they figure I'll just gain it back anyway?

Dee, I am so sorry you have had such rude, thoughtless comments from people. I must admit, this is why I did not tell my family. I am hard enough on myself. :mellow:

Welcome, deboregon! Will you have your surgery in Parker or Aurora? I went to the Crown Pointe Surgery Center in Parker Adventist and stayed at the Holiday Inn Select, which is literally across the street. We had a lovely room and everything was great. They have a yummy restaurant on the top floor -- we got room service and I was able to get a low-carb meal for my last meal before banding. One note: we did not get a suite so no refrigerator or microwave. Dr. K prescribes an antibiotic that has to be refrigerated but he said it was OK to keep in the ice bucket. That's up to you but just FYI.

Hey minidriver, I think we all went through a little "last supper" syndrome. However I found it was totally unnecessary -- I can eat pretty much anything, just less, and I mostly choose to eat healthily. It's working so far!

OK you Chatty Cathys, I am out of here. Mini-goal, to be below 250 by my wedding anniversary July 1. I lost 8 pounds in May, surely I can lose at least that much in June. We are pondering going to Disney World. We can't really afford it, but dammit this is lucky #13 and we deserve it. My mom said she would give us some money for it but I need to decide how to subtly ask "how much?" :lol:

Edited by GreenChrysalis

So I guess I am reporting my weigh in results. I don't weigh at home anymore (cuz it makes me insane) so I only get results when I go to Dr K's office. I weighed in last Thurs and was down 1 lb in the last three weeks. It is frustrating to lose so slow but I got a fill so hopefully that will help. Are we reporting results weekly? If so, I may have to break out the scale at home. I'm gonna count that one lb towards my 20lb goal and I'm gonna kick up the exercise like crazy.

I just signed up for the Oyster Race in downtown Denver Aug 16th so I have to do some major training in order to be ready for it. The team I am doing it with are all athletes so I am very intimidated. Its a race that incorporates running, biking, paddling, roller blading and navigation skills with brain teasers and a scavenger hunt. I don't even know how to roller blade so that is my first fear to concer. Anyone know where I can get some size 8-8/12 womens roller blades?

I think I saw some people doing that Oyster Race last year! What a great concept! You will have a blast! Good for you!!

I just bought a brand new pair of Roller Blades at a thrift store for 5$! I frequent thrift stores often, I will keep my eye out for ya' if you like (some people refuse thrift store stuff).

Mal, you are welcome for the clothes. I hope that some of them work out for ya.

The clothes are Fab, Fab, Fab! I also looked at the book you reccomended, I didn't buy it, but I did spend a good hour or so at Barnes and Noble checking it out, I think I might purchase it from Amazon, or Woofay has a good site to order books from...Woofay???

Bahot, I'll call you and we can rendesveux. So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope that you give yourself all of the love she would have given you if she was still here. I bet she is so proud of you right now!

Whoa, feel like I have been gone for ages... new job and my mom visiting from VT, so it's been hectic. Finally had time to get on last nite and it took me forever to catch up....

Welcome newbies... it's gonna be your best adventure yet and the destination is a new you!

To the old-timers... I read your stories about the challenges you've come across or have to deal with, my only comment is... You're way stronger than you think you are and you are as good and worthy as you BELIEVE you are. No one person or event can define you unless YOU let them... I'm a firm believer that WE control OUR own happiness. As for what others say and do to us, we have to be on guard always to make sure we do not let their issues become our issues no matter how hard they try to share or pass on their "gloom". It's an easy trap to fall in to.

I usually just flinch once (I'm human after all) and then remind myself that odds are they are more miserable than they are trying to make me, because a happy, healthy person would not say or do such a thing. I just let it slide or if they are not a significant person in my life, I cut them loose. Cutting someone loose is hard to do too, because sometimes we keep hanging on to them because we somehow equate that relationship with some kind of social responsibility or measure of success. But really, if it's a negative, non-beneficial relationship, why keep it? Life is full of good people worthy of our friendship and there will be others. Heck cutting negative people loose sometimes opens doors to others that that negative relationship had closed.

Okay, off my soap box... and onto the scale...

It finally said I had passed into onderland... well, okay 199.8, but after fluctuating up and down between 200.6 and 201.8 for the last month or so, it's about fricking time... must have been that snicker bar last night... boosted my metabolism...(uhhuh, yeah, right).

Still I'll take it! I am happy to join my band sister, Shelbie (you rock woman!... and you do inspire me...) and the others who have crossed into onderland... now I am hoping I get to stay there and venture further south into onderland... I've gotta get a fill soon though or I'll be bouncing out soon...

I'd take a pic of my toes on the scale, but I'm kinda a natural, casual gal... not into polish... My version of a pedicure is shaving the 5 or 6 hairs I occasionally see on my big toe... :lol:

Laters, Tina

(mom to a new walking boy...at 15 months, about time... another reason I've been offline, he's into EVERYTHING...)

You're way stronger than you think you are and you are as good and worthy as you BELIEVE you are. No one person or event can define you unless YOU let them... I'm a firm believer that WE control OUR own happiness. As for what others say and do to us, we have to be on guard always to make sure we do not let their issues become our issues no matter how hard they try to share or pass on their "gloom". It's an easy trap to fall in to.

Well said Miss Taynuh! I needed to hear that again...

Thanks!

Mal~ ooo! What book did I miss out on? And that website that I order books through is: WWW.Biblio.com

I've even ordered sheet music through them without any problems! :lol:

Hey Kidlings!

Greetings on this fine Monday afternoon! I can't believe how much activity has occured on this board since I last posted! Yikes!

Well, I had a good Sunday. I lost the 4.6lbs of ugly Fluid I had gained in one night from the Lettuce Wraps and working! Then John T. and my daughter and me went to see Sex In The City. I loved it! My daughter loved it. She was so cute, she was laughing or crying! Then I was wishing I had a blindfold for her! She still tells me she's never seen the entire movie, Pretty Woman. I used to send her out of the room when I knew the risque stuff was starting! She'll be 21 years old in 20 days, so I guess a little nudity is okay. I guess! :lol: Poor John, I think it was boardering on Estrogen Overload for him yesterday. After the movie the three of us had lunch and then we went shopping.

Woofay- Did you say, "sheet music?" -- I love sheet music! I used to buy it on eBay.

Taynuh! Congrats Woman on reaching Onederland! I'd love to see your toes on that scale - painted toes or not! I bet your feet look amazing next to that 199.8!

Thank you for your wise words of wisdom! You're a very smart woman! I appreciate your posts!

Greenie! Hey Sister-Lover of the Color Green! Nice to hear from you again! Those Peanut Butter Cookies rock! I am afraid to try them with 100% splenda, but the Splenda Blend worked like a charm! I'm going to try your Sweet Potatoe pizza. It sounds yummy! AND very healthy! Thanks for taking the time to post it!

I hope you get to go to Disney World for your honeymoon! AND good luck on losing that weight before your wedding! You're going to be a beautiful bride! Might you be wearing a lovely shade of green?

Well Ladies, I'm at work, so I better get moving!

I'll write more later.

dee~

Edited by Tied2BFit
MY SPELLING SUCKS! I SAID I "LOVE" THE 4.6LBS I HAD GAINED! WHAT AM I AM IDIOT?

Hey Kidlings!

Greetings on this fine Monday afternoon! I can't believe how much activity has occured on this board since I last posted! Yikes!

Well, I had a good Sunday. I love the 4.6lbs of ugly Fluid I had gained in one night from the Lettuce Wraps and working! Then John T. and my daughter and me went to see Sex In The City. I loved it! My daughter loved it. She was so cute, she was laughing or crying! Then I was wishing I had a blindfold for her! She still tells me she's never seen the entire movie, Pretty Woman. I used to send her out of the room when I knew the risque stuff was starting! She'll be 21 years old in 20 days, so I guess a little nudity is okay. I guess! :lol: Poor John, I think it was boardering on Estrogen Overload for him yesterday. After the movie the three of us had lunch and then we went shopping.

Woofay- Did you say, "sheet music?" -- I love sheet music! I used to buy it on eBay.

Taynuh! Congrats Woman on reaching Onederland! I'd love to see your toes on that scale - painted toes or not! I bet your feet look amazing next to that 199.8!

Thank you for your wise words of wisdom! You're a very smart woman! I appreciate your posts!

Greenie! Hey Sister-Lover of the Color Green! Nice to hear from you again! Those Peanut Butter Cookies rock! I am afraid to try them with 100% splenda, but the Splenda Blend worked like a charm! I'm going to try your Sweet Potatoe pizza. It sounds yummy! AND very healthy! Thanks for taking the time to post it!

I hope you get to go to Disney World for your honeymoon! AND good luck on losing that weight before your wedding! You're going to be a beautiful bride! Might you be wearing a lovely shade of green?

Well Ladies, I'm at work, so I better get moving!

I'll write more later.

dee~

Have a nice night at work, missy dee!

Okay...so I guess I need to check in on my weigh-in from Sunday. (I'm a freak about my scale too. I finally had to tell myself to quit weighing everyday....only Sundays now).

I'm down 2 lbs from last week!! Woohooo!!! I didn't think it would move this week. I pretty much ate everything in front of me but my plate and napkin. :( That will probably all catch up with me this week.

I did try something new today. I am trying to eat more fish...so I tried Mahi Mahi tonight. I really liked it! Of course I pan fried it in just a tiny bit of oil....but it was soooo gooooood. :drool:

Hope everyone is doing well. Let's stick to our guns this week ladies and gentlemen!! We can do it!!!!

Woofay~Thanks for the book site! Lifesaver was telling me about the Body For Life program. I was supposed to go to the gym tonight but my dad finally found a dog and I just had to go visit...cute little guy. I think he is a Beagle/Jack Russell Terrier somehting like that. I just had to take Buster over to meet "Tofu", don't you just love that name?? I guess I'll ride my bike tonight...in the dark...LOL!!

Taynuh~Nice to hear from you! I thought your babies were keeping you busy! Congrats on hitting Onderland, what a great accomplishment! Keep it going!

speaking of babies...anyone hear from Shesha? Is'nt her baby due this month?

Dee~Lifesaver went to see Sex in the City, she loved it. I never watched the show. I am surrounded by males and everytime that show came on they would change the channel. From the bits and pieces of the show that I saw, I know I would like it.

John...what did you think of the movie?

I forgot to get Splenda at the store, can I make the Cookies without the splenda? Can I just use the PB, egg and vanilla?

I am eating chicken breast strips for dinner and my band does not like it, my band wants cookies...bad band!

Bahot~how was the day at the pool? I know you looked fabulous!

Amieru~Congrats on continous success with your band!

Bandito Goal 1st wk

Dee = 20lbs +4.6lbs

Bookholder = 15lbs+0.0

Brandy = 25lbs-4.5

Woofay = 15lbs+4.0lbs

Mal = 15lbs +0.0

LA = 23lbs+1.0lb

Marcy = 15lbs

Lapdancer = 20lbs +4.0

Shelbi = 20lbs -2.6

Amieru = 20lbs-2lbs

Sidann = 20lbs-4.5lbs

Lifesaver = 20lbs-1.0lb

John T = 15lbs

bahotmamma = 20 lbs -1.5lbs

So I need weight loss totals for last Saturday for the following peeps:

John, Marcy!

For our first week, I think we did pretty well! AND those of us who gained WILL do very well next week! I believe in us!

Don't forget next Saturday morning, to weigh in and post your total loss!

It's getting exciting, isn't it? Less than 9 weeks left!

Hugs,

dee~

Edited by Tied2BFit
update for Brandy's weight loss!