Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Ok, so I weighed myself yesterday and the scale did not move a milimeter, DAMN!! (ok so I was on vacation and indulged some) At least the band prevented me from gaining.

I am having a really hard head hunger week, fighting with DH and wanting to turn to food for comfort, UGGHH. I really should work on developing new coping strategies, as I have always been a stress eater, not to mention bored eater. I did not get to the gym this week either due to my trip. Ok a new week is here and I will do better and make up for the weight I did not lose this week.

As for my trip we went to a resort outside of Moab Utah and it was incredibly beautiful. We were right on the Colorado river, the weather was perfect and I got to take a few days to just hang out with my friend. These are from Arches national park. I will post more when the digital camera is downloaded.

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=2&messageId=10c2af77-15f6-4bed-8c82-d1ec35be55b8&Aux=4|0|8CA91E1016BFF20|

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=10c2af77-15f6-4bed-8c82-d1ec35be55b8&Aux=4|0|8CA91E1016BFF20|

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=5&messageId=10c2af77-15f6-4bed-8c82-d1ec35be55b8&Aux=4|0|8CA91E1016BFF20|

As for negative comments from family, first do not feel as if you have to tell them anything about your WLS. I just say that I have been working hard at eating better and exercizing. Second as Adorkable says Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter... and those who matter don't mind! Very good advice from Dee, as usual. :laugh: I am supposed to be passing pills right now so I better get going. Everyone have a great Sunday!!!

Bookholder you must post those pictures of the arches. How awesome you got to see this amazing place.

Whip_whip.gif

I'm feeling empowered today. I took yesterday and licked my wounds for about 30 seconds and then cussed out my head everytime it said headfood. Really, it was quite affective. To be graphic and if you offend easily, jump down now to the red writing section as it is much nicer. So it started about 10, the headfood negotiation of offering some food sacrifice to myself for being so good for doing so well and it went like this: Head- "you know you can eat those chips in the pantry, just a few" Self: Fuck you. Head- Hey not so harsh, I know how much you like them and maybe they will make you feel better. Self: Kiss my ample ass bitch. Head- "You need to relax a little"

Self: Movies are good.

So I watched several movies yesterday

Credit for this goes to Suze Orman:

Balance and Harmony are your thoughts, your words, your actions and your feelings. What you are thinking is what you are doing, what you are saying is what your actions display, you are in one. Watch the things that you say, check your words and guard your thoughts.

Balance is equilibrium and confidence. You look at something and you say without hesitation, “I know what to do”. The base of all that you strive to be is built on the foundation of the balance and harmony within yourself. When you have balance and harmony you find you develop courage to do the things in your life without hesitation.

Courage is that energy that quiets the fears that prevent you from doing what you need to do. You are a warrior do not turn your back on the battlefield. Summon your courage, think, feel, say, speak in one focus.

Generosity. This is easy for women. We are naturally giving people. We like to nurture others but generosity should not come at the expense of your self. True generosity is when it is a gift to yourself and to the one you give to. Generosity is not giving to the point you put something on your credit card to give. Generosity should not deplete your energy reserves. Generosity is when you are empowered by what you are doing. It is in proportion to what you are giving.

Happiness is essential to the quality of a happy woman. When you are happy you do not go out and spend money on things you do not need. Look at your life. Happiness comes when you are truly generous, in harmony, balance, when you are truly happy you clean up that which is around you.

Wealth cannot dwell in filth.

When you spend all your money on clothes and your closet looks like a garbage can, what are you saying about money? Clean away the clutter. Dwell with cleanliness. When you clean and do away the clutter, when you can find something and have no excuse because you can’t find it, when you pay your bills on time you have no late fees because you can find things, they have a place, they are organized, you keep your wealth, you keep your balance and harmony you eliminate frustration, angst, anxiety because you have balance around you.

Beautiful

Goddesses of wealth. You can feel beauty. Beauty is not all about what is on the outside. You can have inner strength, inner beauty. When you feel that beauty you feel confident. There is nothing more beautiful than a woman who walks in and knows their own worth and own power and you have WISDOM.

Wisdom to make the right choices, wise choices of who you are with who you love, you live in a clean surrounding because you are happy because you have been generous and you have been able to sum it up and stay in balance. These are qualities of a wealthy woman.

Shelbie - I think that your doctor may have been referring to the idea of personalized medicine based on genetics. The idea is this: Let's say that there are a group of people whose depression responds well to Zoloft but not Effexor and another group who respond to Effexor but not Zoloft. They would then do genetic testing on both groups to see if they can identify a gene that differs consistently between the two groups. They can do this for all kinds of medicines, conditions, etc. Then every person could eventually have their own genetic "map" that is encoded on a little card. When you have something wrong, the docs could look at your genetic map and say "oh, you have depression variant xyz that responds to Effexor".

While it's not going to happen anytime soon, I think that it is definitely on the horizon.

As for hurtful comments, I certainly can't add anything that would mean more than what dee said. I will say, though, that after having my mother make hurtful as hell comments about my weight for 30+ years (along with many other topics) I finally told her that I didn't want to have a relationship with her anymore unless she quit criticizing me all the time. That was 2.5 years ago and she hasn't spoken to me since. Sometimes I think I should have tried harder, been more patient with her, etc. etc. but it reached a point where she really was toxic to me. Should I try to reconcile with her? Probably. But I don't think I have the strength. Sometimes you have to do what you need to do to survive.

dee: I can't believe that someone said something like that about your pictures. That's really inexcusable and so incredibly hurtful. I just have two words for that person: karma police. You better watch out, because you get back what you give.

Well, on a lighter note: Bookholder, Moab is my home town! Isn't it gorgeous? How fun for you!

Lap: your conversation with self was hysterical. I'm gonna' remember that next time head hunger hits. I tend to talk to myself though. Hope DH doesn't think I'm talking to him!

I had a LONG post and lost it, so here is a shorter version...

Lifesaver ~Thank you a million times for yesterday! You are a lifesaver and I am so very greatful for the clothes! I also did my three mile walk/run first thing this morning. Heading to Barnes and Noble today, I'll look for that book you mentioned too.

Dee~thanks for the cookie recipe, I want to make some today...yummy and they sound easy enough for me to make! I agree with mini "Karma Police."

Mini and Dee~ I laughed my arse off about the video game! Just make sure that when you sell them, yo make enough for all of us...not like the wii fit...grrrrrrr!

Lap~way to kick some mental butt! Suze Orman is one of my heros, ture lady!

I am off shopping, its' okay Suze, it is for neccesary itmes!!

Peace and Love

Ohhh Mini.. I believe in this: dee: I can't believe that someone said something like that about your pictures. That's really inexcusable and so incredibly hurtful. I just have two words for that person: karma police. You better watch out, because you get back what you give.

True that!

AND yes, on the drugs. I take Ritalin ER for my what? huh/ where did I put it? on the way to Daytona I'd like to stop at Orange city but wait...huh? My ADD. Ritalin works, Adderall doesn't. I take Effexor, it works, Zoloft..yawn. Ho hum. Nothing. So yes, the type of drugs you take and the doseage are trial and error. Adjustment is to the fitting of a nice piece of clothing. Interesting point is, my mother started taking Klonipin, that is what I take for panic, and it worked for her as well.

Enjoying reading all your words today.

Patty

Mal, I'm finding strength in Suzie's voice. She rocks.

Where is our in love Michelle? I imagine Dynamo Mini is living large and in love right now. Anyone heard from her?

:tongue:Shelbi-- About what to say when people ask about your weight loss, only 3 people know that I have had surgery (dh, dd, ds) other than that I tell everyone that I am working out, watching what I eat and drinking a Protein Shake every morning. It is funny that you asked about this when you did. We went out to dinner with friends last night, and when I got up to go to restroom, because my sushi had gotten stuck, our friends asked my husband how I had lost so much weight. He simply told them that I have been going to the gym 3x's per week (true), watching what I eat (true) and drinking a Protein shake for Breakfast (true) the only thing he left out was my band. It seems kinda funny to me that I can still go out with friends to lunch, dinner, ect...and no one really notices how little I eat or don't eat. It just goes to show you that people are so wrapped up in themselves they don't really pay attn to you.

My mom-in-law has always made some really hurtful comments to me, when she was here a few weeks ago (mind you I have lost over 50 lbs.) she had the nerve to tell me that I shouldn't eat dessert because "I don't need it". I just looked at her and said "the reason I have done so well losing weight is becasue I eat what I want when I want and just watch how much of it I eat". Which is what my band allows me to do.

Sorry I ranted so much I have just been in that kind of a mood. And now I am going to go run on the treadmill and work out some of that angst that has crept up on me.

Hope everyone has a nice and relaxing Sunday, I am going swim suit shopping later. If I get my nerve up I might even post a picture later.

:tongue:Shelbi-- About what to say when people ask about your weight loss, only 3 people know that I have had surgery (dh, dd, ds) other than that I tell everyone that I am working out, watching what I eat and drinking a Protein Shake every morning. It is funny that you asked about this when you did. We went out to dinner with friends last night, and when I got up to go to restroom, because my sushi had gotten stuck, our friends asked my husband how I had lost so much weight. He simply told them that I have been going to the gym 3x's per week (true), watching what I eat (true) and drinking a Protein shake for breakfast (true) the only thing he left out was my band. It seems kinda funny to me that I can still go out with friends to lunch, dinner, ect...and no one really notices how little I eat or don't eat. It just goes to show you that people are so wrapped up in themselves they don't really pay attn to you.

My mom-in-law has always made some really hurtful comments to me, when she was here a few weeks ago (mind you I have lost over 50 lbs.) she had the nerve to tell me that I shouldn't eat dessert because "I don't need it". I just looked at her and said "the reason I have done so well losing weight is becasue I eat what I want when I want and just watch how much of it I eat". Which is what my band allows me to do.

Sorry I ranted so much I have just been in that kind of a mood. And now I am going to go run on the treadmill and work out some of that angst that has crept up on me.

Hope everyone has a nice and relaxing Sunday, I am going swim suit shopping later. If I get my nerve up I might even post a picture later.

swim suit shopping? You go girl!!! That's awesome. Do post pics. that would be fab.

I had a LONG post and lost it, so here is a shorter version...

Lifesaver ~Thank you a million times for yesterday! You are a lifesaver and I am so very greatful for the clothes! I also did my three mile walk/run first thing this morning. Heading to Barnes and Noble today, I'll look for that book you mentioned too.

Dee~thanks for the cookie recipe, I want to make some today...yummy and they sound easy enough for me to make! I agree with mini "Karma Police."

Mini and Dee~ I laughed my arse off about the video game! Just make sure that when you sell them, yo make enough for all of us...not like the wii fit...grrrrrrr!

Lap~way to kick some mental butt! Suze Orman is one of my heros, ture lady!

I am off shopping, its' okay Suze, it is for neccesary itmes!!

Peace and Love

you do a three mile walk/run? Oh, my. I am so impressed. That's fantastic.

Thanks mini~I just recently added the running part (whew, that is hard stuff). Still no weight loss though.

Lap~I heard from Dynamo, she sounds very happy and busy. I miss her around here too.

beahot~I looked at swimming suits yesterday and today...I just can't do it yet. Please post what you found. There are some reallly cute styles and prints this year! and good response to your MIL! watchout for that rice, it tends to get stuck! How was your workout?

I am setting up my consultation appt. with Dr. K. Do any of you have recommendations or warnings about where to stay? I will be flying from Portland, OR, to Denver.

Also, wanted you all to know that reading your posts is SOOOO helpful in a number of different ways. Obviously, the info for a newbie is important, but knowing that there is a support system like this is incredibly encouraging. I had originally thought to have surgery on Aug. 25, but then saw the Demo. Conv. was in Denver that week. Not such a good time. So probably right after Labor Day will be my target. I am getting married on Oct. 11 and hope to shed a few (10 lbs?) between surgery and then.

Thanks again for all of your straightforward talk and upbeat attitudes!

I am setting up my consultation appt. with Dr. K. Do any of you have recommendations or warnings about where to stay? I will be flying from Portland, OR, to Denver.

Also, wanted you all to know that reading your posts is SOOOO helpful in a number of different ways. Obviously, the info for a newbie is important, but knowing that there is a support system like this is incredibly encouraging. I had originally thought to have surgery on Aug. 25, but then saw the Demo. Conv. was in Denver that week. Not such a good time. So probably right after Labor Day will be my target. I am getting married on Oct. 11 and hope to shed a few (10 lbs?) between surgery and then.

Thanks again for all of your straightforward talk and upbeat attitudes!

Hi Deb. Well, I just had my pre-op consultation on the phone! So I didn't even need to fly over. I think most out of towners do it over the phone. However, my surgery will be at Crown Pointe surgical center so I'm staying at the Holiday Inn across from the hospital. The office is in a different place though - when you talk to Natalie she'll be able to give you suggestions. Is there a reason you want to wait till the end of August? I first contacted Dr. K's office in mid may and was able to get a surgery date of 7/2!

Anyway, welcome to this thread. It is THE BEST!!!

Hi, thanks for reply. Well, I have to apply for a loan at my credit union; plus I have set vacation plans in both July and early August that would throw a wrench into the works. Plus it gives me time to find a cheaper flight, prepare my mom and dad, whom I haven't told yet, and settle into focusing on the one item. I noticed you received your surgery date quickly; good for you!! This self-pay thing is a pain, but a person has to do whatever it takes. I figure I am worth the cost of a cheap used car! Just wish it wouldn't have taken me so long to get onto this. I am going to be 57 in September and hope this isn't coming too late!

Deboregon -- COngrats on ur upcoming wedding and for making this life changing decision. We look forward to getting to know you as you take this journey.

Mal -- I actually got a few cute tankinis at Wal-mart of all places. One is teal green and goes over one shoulder. The other has black bottoms and a black, white and hot pink top. I also stopped by Kohl's and got a black, white and red top that I can wear with the black bottoms. And I got a teal and dark blue tankini that came with a really cute wrap. The best part is it was all on sale. If I get up enough courage I might post some pics. I am still really guarded about people seeing me in a bathing suit. I guess I need to get over that though since I am going to the pool tomorrow with my youngest daughter and her friend and her friends mom. The workout was good, I did the treadmill for about 45 minutes alternating jogging and walking. I am hitting the gym 3xs a week with a personal trainer again, so hopfully I will start toning and looking better.

Hi, thanks for reply. Well, I have to apply for a loan at my credit union; plus I have set vacation plans in both July and early August that would throw a wrench into the works. Plus it gives me time to find a cheaper flight, prepare my mom and dad, whom I haven't told yet, and settle into focusing on the one item. I noticed you received your surgery date quickly; good for you!! This self-pay thing is a pain, but a person has to do whatever it takes. I figure I am worth the cost of a cheap used car! Just wish it wouldn't have taken me so long to get onto this. I am going to be 57 in September and hope this isn't coming too late!

The self-pay thing is totally worth it. SO much more valuable than a cheap used car. Where in Oregon are you? I used to live in Eugene.

Oh, and it's never too late . . . .You still have lots of years ahead for a whole new you!!

Deboregon -- COngrats on ur upcoming wedding and for making this life changing decision. We look forward to getting to know you as you take this journey.

Mal -- I actually got a few cute tankinis at Wal-mart of all places. One is teal green and goes over one shoulder. The other has black bottoms and a black, white and hot pink top. I also stopped by Kohl's and got a black, white and red top that I can wear with the black bottoms. And I got a teal and dark blue tankini that came with a really cute wrap. The best part is it was all on sale. If I get up enough courage I might post some pics. I am still really guarded about people seeing me in a bathing suit. I guess I need to get over that though since I am going to the pool tomorrow with my youngest daughter and her friend and her friends mom. The workout was good, I did the treadmill for about 45 minutes alternating jogging and walking. I am hitting the gym 3xs a week with a personal trainer again, so hopfully I will start toning and looking better.

Wow, a public swim suit outing! Good for you! Sounds like you got some fun stuff.