Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

That's okay. I thought you were messin' with me, but I wasn't 100 percent sure and my memory is sooooo awful that I thought - "hmmm, maybe it is the same pic". One problem with having your ovaries removed - they take out your memory while they're at it. A little know side effect . . .

hummm, that is a side effect, I wasn't aware of!

Just wait until you start your pre-op diet, the NO carbs really made me stupid!

Stupid is as stupid does -- just like my Momma always says!

hummm, that is a side effect, I wasn't aware of!

Just wait until you start your pre-op diet, the NO carbs really made me stupid!

Stupid is as stupid does -- just like my Momma always says!

Oh no! I can't get much stupider. Oh dear. So what types of stuff did you eat? Did you do Protein Shakes or real food? It seems like there is plenty of real food that would work, but I would like to get a head start on losing weight.

Oh no! I can't get much stupider. Oh dear. So what types of stuff did you eat? Did you do Protein Shakes or real food? It seems like there is plenty of real food that would work, but I would like to get a head start on losing weight.

I'm not a lover of Protein shakes! Besides the goal was to minimize your carbs to as little as possible and even the low carb protein shakes have some carbs. I was a little afraid of even those carbs.

I ate meat and veggies. I roasted chicken, I made turkey in an oven bag, I put beef ribs in the crock pot with red chili and ate them. My first pre-op diet was over Thanksgiving and I lost 14 lbs. My second one was after the New Year started and I lost 13 lbs, but I had gained the 14lbs form the previous one back already! (shhh don't tell anyone!)

I would roast a chicken and make a huge salad with all kinds of chopped veggies and put the chicken over the top. It was so good! I had eggs for Breakfast, tuna for lunch with real mayo, since Miracle whip has some carbs in it, I had steak for one of my last suppers. The last supper before my surgery - I wasn't hungry, so I shared a chicken breast with my daughter. It's a very simple pre-op diet. I felt so fortunate that Dr. K didn't require the liquid pre-ops that so many other docs do! I had to do it for 14 days since my BMI was so high. You probably have to do it for what 5 days or less?

You'll see, it's not hard!

Mmm, that all sounds really good. I like meat . . . alot! So it sounds fine. He wants me to do it for a week, but I think I'll do it longer. I want to make sure my liver is as small as it can be.

Don't feel bad about gaining back your 14 lbs from your first preop (btw - that had to be so disappointing that you had to go home without your band . .). Anyhoo, I spent 9 months doing weight watchers last year, and lost 30 lbs (big whoop). Then I went to the UK for 17 days and gained back 21 pounds. HOW THE HELL CAN YOU GAIN MORE THAN 1 POUND A DAY!!! My DH, who ate fairly similar things on the trip, gained 5. I was sooo bummed.

speaking of DH, he's waiting on the porch for me with a Mojito. Mmmm, so much better than virtual wine. TTFN. Hugs and kisses.

Mmm, that all sounds really good. I like meat . . . alot! So it sounds fine. He wants me to do it for a week, but I think I'll do it longer. I want to make sure my liver is as small as it can be.

Don't feel bad about gaining back your 14 lbs from your first preop (btw - that had to be so disappointing that you had to go home without your band . .). Anyhoo, I spent 9 months doing weight watchers last year, and lost 30 lbs (big whoop). Then I went to the UK for 17 days and gained back 21 pounds. HOW THE HELL CAN YOU GAIN MORE THAN 1 POUND A DAY!!! My DH, who ate fairly similar things on the trip, gained 5. I was sooo bummed.

Our slow metabolisms -- thus the reason I got the band!

I have lost so much weight in my life! I once lost 80lbs from a 30% Low fat diet and swimming everyday. I gained back 80 plus another 30lbs! Nice huh?

Once I got all the way to goal -- just to gain it all back and more!

I love my band! My little 14ml band! I just love it, I tell ya!

speaking of DH, he's waiting on the porch for me with a Mojito. Mmmm, so much better than virtual wine. TTFN. Hugs and kisses.

Does your DH have a brother?

AND if he does have a brother, does the brother like obese girls with Lap Bands?

Edited by Tied2BFit
just being me!

Does your DH have a brother?

AND if he does have a brother, does the brother like obese girls with Lap Bands?

Sorry, no brothers. But he's a really good guy. My first husband was not. Sometimes the second time is the charm.

I know what you mean about the losing, gaining thing. I had rheumatic fever in my early twenties and actually became skinny! As soon as I got better . . . it all came back. I used phen-fen, lost nearly 50 lbs, gained it back plus 15 more, etc. etc. etc. It's the one thing in life that I have NOT been able to conquer. I smoked for 25 years and managed to quit. I started college as a 35 year old freshman and had a doctorate eight years later. But do you think I can lose weight and keep it off? Hell no! I hate the stereotype that fat people are just lazy, or whatever. I look at the people on this board and they are all intelligent, active, hard working people. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

Hello Banders - It's still Saturday here in Central Time so I'm reporting in with my weight loss. Now remember that I have been banded less than 3 weeks so I am losing easier than those who have been banded longer. I lost 4.5 lbs this week. I'm like you Mini - phen-phen was great while you were on it but forget it after you got off because I never learned how to eat right.

Dr K said with a BMI less than 38 you needed 1 week of pre op diet. I lost 3 lbs that week and it wasn't too hard. Not having ANY potatoes or bread was a little difficult but overall OK. The night before surgery he said I could splurge but I didn't really do that too much.

I have to confess something I did today. I wanted pizza so bad that I decided to order it and just eat a little of it (yeah right - eating my idea of a little of it got me where I am today - FAT). I called a place that only is pick up or delivery and they DID NOT answer the phone and I let it ring a gazillion times. Then when I hung up I laughed. What was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't thinking. I am there with the ice cream, chocolate, chips, etc folks on binges if I'm around the stuff.

I am so happy to have found this thread. You really make me see this is doable with support.

Dee - I'm a college teacher in physical therapy. I agree with the others. You would be a fantastic teacher in whatever field you chose. I am older than you are and went back to school at 39 after a bachelor's degree years before and pursued my health care career dream then was asked to come back and teach in the program I graduated from. It took more education but it was so worth it. I have had a lot of jobs over the years but I finally at 52 yo found the one that is my dream job - teaching in the field I love. I just completed my 10th year. A teacher of mine told me that as a practitioner she would impact her patients but as a teacher she would impact everyone that we treated as well.

I'm sorry this is so long.

See ya', Sidney

Hello Banders - It's still Saturday here in Central Time so I'm reporting in with my weight loss. Now remember that I have been banded less than 3 weeks so I am losing easier than those who have been banded longer. I lost 4.5 lbs this week. I'm like you Mini - phen-phen was great while you were on it but forget it after you got off because I never learned how to eat right.

Dr K said with a BMI less than 38 you needed 1 week of pre op diet. I lost 3 lbs that week and it wasn't too hard. Not having ANY potatoes or bread was a little difficult but overall OK. The night before surgery he said I could splurge but I didn't really do that too much.

I have to confess something I did today. I wanted pizza so bad that I decided to order it and just eat a little of it (yeah right - eating my idea of a little of it got me where I am today - FAT). I called a place that only is pick up or delivery and they DID NOT answer the phone and I let it ring a gazillion times. Then when I hung up I laughed. What was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't thinking. I am there with the ice cream, chocolate, chips, etc folks on binges if I'm around the stuff.

I am so happy to have found this thread. You really make me see this is doable with support.

Dee - I'm a college teacher in physical therapy. I agree with the others. You would be a fantastic teacher in whatever field you chose. I am older than you are and went back to school at 39 after a bachelor's degree years before and pursued my health care career dream then was asked to come back and teach in the program I graduated from. It took more education but it was so worth it. I have had a lot of jobs over the years but I finally at 52 yo found the one that is my dream job - teaching in the field I love. I just completed my 10th year. A teacher of mine told me that as a practitioner she would impact her patients but as a teacher she would impact everyone that we treated as well.

See ya', Sidney

yay for teachers! Yay for going back to school when you're older! Yay for the pizza place not answering the phone! And super duper yay for this site! Wow. I just realized that I use waaayyy too many exclamation points when I write. It's also the way I talk. There's a reason I chose Tigger as my avatar :laugh:

See ya', Sidney

Thanks Sidney!

Great job on the 4.5 lbs! That's wonderful! Enjoy the quick weight loss that happens initially! It is addictive.

Thanks for your words of advice. I have been considering all of my options. I called and talked to the adviser at Regis University. I'd love to get my MSN with an emphasis in education. I think teaching student nurses would be the best! Just think, if we can teach them the right way to do things with the right mind set, we will impact 1000s of lives. You are very correct in saying that! I love precepting new nurses. They are so excited about their profession. And I love seeing the enthusiasm. Admitting a new baby is my favorite thing to teach. Can you imagine what a special moment that is in the lives of these new parents? This is a brand new life... a life they have waited for, for 9 months. When I taught ESL, it was such fun! I had students from China and Mexico in the same class. One girl from china's name was Xin Xin. A mexican student named Jesus was in the same class. One day he said to her, "what kind of a name is X-I-N, X-I-N?" He spelled it. And she said, "What kind of name is Jesus?"

Oh boy! I had to separate the two of them! Them were fighting words!

The other day, my daughter made the best little cookies! I think they are pretty band friendly. They are called Magical Peanut Butter Cookies.< /p>

Here is the recipe:

1 cup Peanut Butter, creamy or crunchy

1 cup of baking sugar replacement (splenda is recommended)

(my daughter used Splenda Blend and only used 1/2 cup)

1 egg

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet.

In a mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, splenda, egg and vanilla, stir well with a spoon. Roll the dough into balls the size of walnuts. Place on the baking sheet and with a fork dipped in splenda press a crisscross design on each cookie. Bake for 12 mins, remove from the oven and let cool.

No flour and you get the Protein from the peanut butter and egg!

Yum!

Thanks for your post, Sidney!

I'm glad you're here with us!

dee - mmm, the Cookies sound great. I'm so glad you're checking into nurse education. I love the nurse educators at our school. They are all so warm and encouraging. You could have such an impact.

Way to go, Sidann! You're doing great. :laugh:

(Note to self: call all local pizza delivery places, thank them for their poor customer service, and request that they put a block on my phone number.)

The Peanut Butter Cookies sound wonderful -- I'll be trying them this week! Thanks, Dee!

And Green, I would love the Mediterranean Sweet Potatoe Pizza you mentioned a few pages back. That would probably go over really big at this house!:lol:

Mini -- I had a therapist who once told me that even though the brain has so many neurotransmitters yet to be identified, at some point in our lifetime when we go to our annual physical we'll be able to have a blood (or some sort of screening) test, as with our cholesterol, glucose, etc. and physician will be able to treat based on the results. Like, here's some Lipitor for your cholesterol, take this Metformin for your blood sugar, and here's some XYZ for your low XYZ brain chemical. Was she feeding me a line or is this realistic?? If so, what an amazing breakthrough for treating mental health issues!

I am starting to get so anxious about the upcoming summer extended family gatherings (father's day, pop's 91st birthday, 4th of July) and how people will react to my weight loss. Very few people know I am banded and I want it to stay that way -- unfortunately, there are some pretty vicious relatives who would love to give me the "oh, so you took the easy way out" line. I can avoid them during the rest of the year, but I won't miss what may be some of my dad's last holidays because of my fear of getting my feelings hurt. There may be less of me physically now, but my sensitivity is just as large as ever! How do you guys handle situations like this?

I am so loving coming here and reading the posts lately (Actually, I always do. But, it just keeps getting better and better!). You guys are cracking me up.

Edited by ShelbiCallie
potatoe? potato? potatoe? potato? potatoe. What the hell.

Way to go, Sidann! You're doing great. :laugh:

(Note to self: call all local pizza delivery places, thank them for their poor customer service, and request that they put a block on my phone number.)

The Peanut Butter Cookies sound wonderful -- I'll be trying them this week! Thanks, Dee!

And Green, I would love the Mediterranean Sweet Potatoe Pizza you mentioned a few pages back. That would probably go over really big at this house!:lol:

Mini -- I had a therapist who once told me that even though the brain has so many neurotransmitters yet to be identified, at some point in our lifetime when we go to our annual physical we'll be able to have a blood (or some sort of screening) test, as with our cholesterol, glucose, etc. and physician will be able to treat based on the results. Like, here's some Lipitor for your cholesterol, take this Metformin for your blood sugar, and here's some XYZ for your low XYZ brain chemical. Was she feeding me a line or is this realistic?? If so, what an amazing breakthrough for treating mental health issues!

I am starting to get so anxious about the upcoming summer extended family gatherings (father's day, pop's 91st birthday, 4th of July) and how people will react to my weight loss. Very few people know I am banded and I want it to stay that way -- unfortunately, there are some pretty vicious relatives who would love to give me the "oh, so you took the easy way out" line. I can avoid them during the rest of the year, but I won't miss what may be some of my dad's last holidays because of my fear of getting my feelings hurt. There may be less of me physically now, but my sensitivity is just as large as ever! How do you guys handle situations like this?

I am so loving coming here and reading the posts lately (Actually, I always do. But, it just keeps getting better and better!). You guys are cracking me up.

Hi Shelbi-Girl,

I think that is wonderful that you recognize the need to put your love for your Father first. I have a loved one who puts herself first - and the fact that she refuses to allow anyone to hurt her feelings... so she never attends family gatherings, parties, funerals, or anything else where someone might see her and make a comment. She's only cheated herself and those who truly love her.

You asked how a person deals with the comments and hurtful things people say - well, I'm probably the last person who should be responding. I don't do well. It seems I actually do less well now. On Mother's day a comment was made about how much older I look now along with another comment about there was no way I had lost 27.5 inches in 3 months. "You must have not measured yourself right." I hung up the phone and cried. Then about 4 hours later, I get a call from another loved one to inform me that my three month picture was frightening children. Of course,I heard the other comments too "too bad you couldn't lose weight like everyone else." -- "too bad you had to take the easy way out." etc etc etc. And the silly one was, "too bad, you have only lost 67lbs at 3 months. That's not much!" -- "I thought people have surgery to lose weight faster." I took all the comments bad, but the ones about my current photos hurt the most. Now several weeks later. I know that ugly comments will always be made. That's just how some people are. Comments like that are made by people for many different reasons.

1.) They are just flat out rude and they don't stop and engage their minds and hearts before they allow the words to just flow from their mouths.

2.) They know exactly what they are saying and how hurtful it will be, but they just don't care. (I tend to think this one goes right along with #1 - when it comes to my family, because they feel it's important you know how they truly feel about you.)

3.) They just talk to talk and don't realize how hurtful words can be.

4.) They are jealous and hate to see anyone succeed at anything.

5.) It really was a good decision to have WLS, they know it and wish they had the guts to make good, sound, life changing decisions to improve the quality of their lives.

Lastly Shelbi, the important thing is your Father and being able to spend these holidays with him. These other people are not of value to you. They are part of your life because they share your DNA and everyone has some Disappointing Dysfunctional DNA in their background. AND as many of us know, they happen to attend all the celebrations just to be present and make ugly comments. But you're there because you love your Father, you deserve to be there and you can hold your head up high knowing you are making good, healthy changes in your life...

Just as you mentioned to Mini, there is Lipitor for Cholesterol problems, Metformin for Blood Sugar problems and for some there is a Lap Band for this little thing we've been afflicted with called Overeating Problems. I take Lipitor, I took Metformin and there is no reason, I couldn't get a Lap Band. The goal of all three is to extend my life and to make the quality the best it can be. So my advice is this, if someone perhaps finds out about your WLS or makes a hurtful comment, allow it. But remember that you are above that, you are a Smart Woman, a Mother, a Wife, a Daughter and someone who would be greatly missed - if she were not around. You value your health and the quality of your life. You value your children and husband and you want to be the best you can be to be in their lives. Shelbi, you did what you felt was needed to be there for the ones your value most. You've lost 78lbs and in the end these comments really aren't important. Cry if it helps you get over it, but then wipe your tears and know that you will be the Victor!

my 4 cents. It's 320am. I tend to be quite verbose at this hour.

Hugs, dee~

Edited by Tied2BFit
hey it's 320am, i had to make mistake! what am I perfect?

Dee,

You are the best and you are so right on the money. I'm printing your post out and putting it in my top desk drawer so that I can keep reading it when I need it (which is often these days!) When I start getting anxious, my rational thought goes out the window -- thanks for helping me pull it back.

Now go to bed, missy! :laugh: