Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I am going to go ride my bike in the dark! ha ha ha, I feel more comfortable riding it in the dark! I fear I will look like a circus act! I hope I don't run into anything!

later gals!...and John, if your here!

That is great Mini! Just like Dr. K can be proud when his patients do well, teachers can be proud when their students do well! Especially when they follow in their footsteps and they come from a difficult past! Bravo!

Thanks, dee! We have a federal program called the McNair Scholar's Program that helps prepare first-generation, low-income and/or underrepresented minority students to prepare to go to grad school and eventually to join the ranks of academia. In the summer I am the "research mom" and oversee our group while they live on campus and do independent research. It's really rewarding. So many of these kids struggle to get to college and then find that they don't have a single professor from similar backgrounds. The purpose of the program is to "change the face of higher education". The kids work their fannies off and many times are also helping to support their families, etc. Some of our favorite students have been some of the Lost Boys of the Sudan. They are so amazing. I was helping one of them on the computer one day and he apologized for being so slow, then explained to me that he learned to write in the dirt with a stick while living in a refugee camp. He's now in a doctoral program at NYU.

I am going to go ride my bike in the dark! ha ha ha, I feel more comfortable riding it in the dark! I fear I will look like a circus act! I hope I don't run into anything!

BE CAREFUL!!!! My goodness!!!

Mal!

You made me laugh! You're hilarious! A circus act!

If I was your neighbor, we could ride together... we would look like a circus act! The trainer and her trained seal! HA!:smile:

BE careful, don't crash!:(

Thanks, dee! We have a federal program called the McNair Scholar's Program that helps prepare first-generation, low-income and/or underrepresented minority students to prepare to go to grad school and eventually to join the ranks of academia. In the summer I am the "research mom" and oversee our group while they live on campus and do independent research. It's really rewarding. So many of these kids struggle to get to college and then find that they don't have a single professor from similar backgrounds. The purpose of the program is to "change the face of higher education". The kids work their fannies off and many times are also helping to support their families, etc. Some of our favorite students have been some of the Lost Boys of the Sudan. They are so amazing. I was helping one of them on the computer one day and he apologized for being so slow, then explained to me that he learned to write in the dirt with a stick while living in a refugee camp. He's now in a doctoral program at NYU.

Your Lost Boys of the Sudan story reminded me of the students in Haiti.

I could always tell which students were illiterate because they traced the words from the book. They had 10 base sentences they had to write 10 times each night for homework. They would trace those words from the book... it was obvious. Amazing they worked so hard!

Most didn't have electricity in their homes so they would stand out in the street using the light from the street light to do their homework at night. They would be out there for hours. During the rainy season, many of them would really struggle with getting their work done. We are so blessed in this country! Aren't we?

Your Lost Boys of the Sudan story reminded me of the students in Haiti.

I could always tell which students were illiterate because they traced the words from the book. They had 10 base sentences they had to write 10 times each night for homework. They would trace those words from the book... it was obvious. Amazing they worked so hard!

Most didn't have electricity in their homes so they would stand out in the street using the light from the street light to do their homework at night. They would be out there for hours. During the rainy season, many of them would really struggle with getting their work done. We are so blessed in this country! Aren't we?

We are, indeed. Sometimes when my higher SES students are whining because they want new cars, etc., I just want to drop them into the middle of a developing nation and have them spend a week or two seeing how so much of the rest of the world lives. I think it changes your perspective so much.

Wow, now I feel guilty that I'm spending $10,000 to lose weight!!! Crud.

Stop!!!

IF you don't get the surgery, your quality of life will be less AND you won't be able to minister to your students and in ministering to your students you ARE enhancing their quality of life! YOU have nothing to feel guilty about! This is not for asthetics, this is very life!

Got it Mini?

Stop!!!

IF you don't get the surgery, your quality of life will be less AND you won't be able to minister to your students and in ministering to your students you ARE enhancing their quality of life! YOU have nothing to feel guilty about! This is not for asthetics, this is very life!

Got it Mini?

You're right. I know you're right. You're a wise wise woman. If I don't do it now, I'll just get heavier and sicker. I don't want to be a sick old lady. I want to have energy and joy. I want to enjoy my new grandson. I want to wear pumps again :(

Well, my new cyber-buddy, I'm going to bed now. We have graduation tomorrow and it will be a loooong day. Talk to you soon! Thanks for, well, you know. Being so swell!

You're right. I know you're right. You're a wise wise woman. If I don't do it now, I'll just get heavier and sicker. I don't want to be a sick old lady. I want to have energy and joy. I want to enjoy my new grandson. I want to wear pumps again :(

Well, my new cyber-buddy, I'm going to bed now. We have graduation tomorrow and it will be a loooong day. Talk to you soon! Thanks for, well, you know. Being so swell!

xxxx and oooo!

you're pretty swell yourself cyber-dudette!

luv,

dee~

mini~Please don't feel guilty, we all deserve to be happy and healthy, our band gives us the boost to help us get where we need to be.

I am back safely from my late night bike ride. I just wanted to try out my new bike without feeling like the entire world could see me. It was soooo much fun! I was laughing at my self, I felt like a child again...funny!

MAL!

I'm glad to see you made it home safely. I was hoping you'd post!

I'm glad you had fun! I can picture you in my mind and it's adorable!

Enjoy your bike Girlie! Did you get a bell, a basket, did you put some cards on the spokes? Did you wear your helmet?

sleep Sweet, Nitie nite!

dee~

Boy oh boy you girls are chatty tonight! lol.... :thumbup:

Lap~ Your daughter sounds a lot like me in some ways. My mom and I have a very strained relationship and can only take eachother in small doses. Thank GAWD she went to my sisters house tonight for a few days so I can have a break. lol

Dee~ ((HUGS)) You had a heck of a day. Boy did you do an AWESOME job of handling it. WTG girl!! Hopping on the bike instead of turning to food. SOOOO proud of you! Things will work out. I know you are disappointed about the house but something is going to come up and it will all make sense as to why this fell through.

Mini~ Soooo glad you like Dr K. Yeah. He is such a compassionate man. I love him to pieces. He is so caring. You have made such a good choice! I am so excited for you.

Ack.. I am having a BAD two days food wise. I cannot stop eating crap at work! Someone help me. Grrr. I had a huge bowl of freaking ice cream last night... again :lol:.... and tonight I had a doughnut and a piece of banana bread. :smile: WTH is wrong with me. Grrrrrr. I know I have a weigh in tomorrow morning to and I go an sabatage it. :lol:

On the upside I got my new plates tonight from DMV. They are breast cancer awareness. They say IDBOMB on them. lol. Then I decided I didn't like what I got anymore so I went online and ordered new ones. :( This time they are going to say ADRKBL. Sooo much more me. lol. Hubby thinks I am a nut. He's right. :lol:

Thanks Adorkable!

I have to be honest, I felt that panic feeling come over me when I got home. I started looking every where for something to eat. I felt that horrible out of control feeling! I hated it! I just wanted to stuff something in my mouth. My mind kept saying, I want to eat something. But I couldn't. I had to force myself to ride my bike. I knew I'd be so angry with myself if I had eaten. All the way home, I kept wanting to stop somewhere and get something bad to eat!

This is not easy!

I love your new license plate!

Mine is a breast cancer support one too! I"m going to go to Target and get the frame that you can customize. I lost both grandma's to Breast CA and my bestfriend this last February.

We are chatty tonight, aren't we?

I love it!

dee~

Dee... I am sorry about your losses. I lost my dad to cancer so I know how awful it is to see a loved go to cancer. Thankfully breast cancer does not run in my family... but I am still worried. With all the plastics and chemicals in our modern world, it is just a matter of time until cancer strikes.

I really want to do the Susan G walk, but I couldn't find the day walk here. I was just talking to a co-worker who did it so I will have to look harder. I could only find the overnight one that costs a lot if you can't raise the funds.

Dee... I am sorry about your losses. I lost my dad to cancer so I know how awful it is to see a loved go to cancer. Thankfully breast cancer does not run in my family... but I am still worried. With all the plastics and chemicals in our modern world, it is just a matter of time until cancer strikes.

I really want to do the Susan G walk, but I couldn't find the day walk here. I was just talking to a co-worker who did it so I will have to look harder. I could only find the overnight one that costs a lot if you can't raise the funds.

Honey,

There is one in Phoenix, Sunday, October 12, 2008.

The one in Tucson was held in April.

Ours here in Denver is in October too.

Event: Komen Race for the Cure®

When: Sunday, October 12, 2008

Web site: www.komenphoenix.org

How to Participate: For more information or to register, please contact:

Hotline: (602) 544-2873

Email: pelder@komenphoenix.org

Edited by Tied2BFit
to add more information for you