Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Somedays I just pop onto the site and read other threads. I was just reading one from a lady who was upset and having serious reconsiderations about having gone thru with the LB because in 2 months she's only lost 35#.

Another was someone who wanted a band but was afraid of all the changes, self-image, eating, obsessing about food, hiding behind weight....

My point, I guess, is that it brings back to when I first started this journey and my thoughts and expectations. I remember the panic-y feeling when I was actually considering the band..and some of the hopelessness that I'd been dealing with regarding my unending weight issues. I've not had ANY regrets at all. But do get frustrated when the weight leaves at it own sweet time. I just tell myself to get over it and get on with the journey. I want to be like Sunshine and 5jacks...but I know, too, that I don't work out as hard as they do...and I could. I'm envious at times, but wouldn't diminish your success in any way and actually turn it into inspiration.

Just some passing thoughts to share. It is interesting to read about others journey.

Shawn

Shawn....please don't use my weight loss record as something to base yours on. I can't remember how much you wanted to lose but I need to lose 140 pounds total.....and the first half of my weight always goes easy. Just remember that every body is different, if this was winter time I truly don't beleive I would be doing as good! We're farmers and outside sweating on a daily basis. Good luck and keep up the good spirit!

Somedays I just pop onto the site and read other threads. I was just reading one from a lady who was upset and having serious reconsiderations about having gone thru with the LB because in 2 months she's only lost 35#.

Well, I am shocked that she is upset over "only" losing 35 pounds, but I know that I at times complain that I've only lost 1 or 2 pounds the last week, etc. We are all so obsessed with the number on the scales, I'm trying hard not to focus on them as much. This is a journey, a long journey we are on, we have to keep reminding ourselves we won't get there overnight.

Another was someone who wanted a band but was afraid of all the changes, self-image, eating, obsessing about food, hiding behind weight....

My point, I guess, is that it brings back to when I first started this journey and my thoughts and expectations. I remember the panic-y feeling when I was actually considering the band..and some of the hopelessness that I'd been dealing with regarding my unending weight issues. I've not had ANY regrets at all. But do get frustrated when the weight leaves at it own sweet time. I just tell myself to get over it and get on with the journey. I want to be like Sunshine and 5jacks...but I know, too, that I don't work out as hard as they do...and I could. I'm envious at times, but wouldn't diminish your success in any way and actually turn it into inspiration.

Just some passing thoughts to share. It is interesting to read about others journey.

Shawn

I remember starting the process, I was freaked out a bit, scared, nervous, and wondering could I really give up food? I was a bit scared to leave my comfort zone (food). But in the end, I decided I had to do it, I had to take this step.

I know I've lost a lot of weight, and I can't believe that I've lost so much, I've always been the slow loser, ALWAYS. I can't explain what is happening to my body, but I think my CPAP machine is helping me lose weight - but not sure. I'm sure the weightloss will slow down now that I'm getting closer to goal - (33 lbs away). I remember being envious of bandsters that were months ahead of me, and wanting to do what they did, etc. And I sometimes felt discouraged, but the key is, we are all different, our bodies decides when it will "shed" the pounds I guess. Shawn, you have lost 40 lbs and that is GREAT! I hope I don't every discourage anyone - I know some are having a hard time and losing very slow, but slow & steady wins the race (my Gma always told me that). So, I hope I can only encourage ones out there and not sound bragging or boastful about my weightloss.

All my life I have been the one that dieted next to someone and I have been the one that failed. For the first time in 40 years, I'm succeeding and it feels so good - I still can't believe that ME - I - have lost this much weight.

So - if anyone out there is discouraged - please be positive and know that sometimes its a longer process for others, but that does not mean you are failing, some doctors are slower about giving fills, they give very small fills, therefore, your restriction is not that great until later. My doctor is aggressive with his fills, so I recieved some restriction very early - this could be a bad thing? Not sure.

Anyhow, I hope everyone is doing okay today.

Today is my sons birthday and mine also. That's why I haven't been on here today! Had some errands to do this morning so did those, then grabbed lunch and took the boys to the park for a little bit.

I'm still battling to lose my next 5 pounds. Usually don't lose much for 3 weeks and then drop 10 in a week.....my week can start anytime now and I'd be happy!

Sounds like you guys are doing really well on weight loss! I also crave the sweets, made Cookies to take to the lake and not sure if there will be any left or not! Did ya know they taste better frozen than fresh?!?!

Better go, hopefully when we get back from the lake on Monday the scales will be kind to me!

HAPPY HAPPY BDAY! I hope you have a WONDERFUL day, that is neat you & your son share this day together!

I do the same as you, I go for a few weeks and barely lose an ounce, then all of a sudden, overnight, I'll drop 5 lbs.

Have a wonderful time at the lake! I will be out of pocket most of the weekend too, I'm helping my family out with a camp they run 1x a year, so I'm taking off work to help them out. Its a busy busy weekend - bye everyone!

Sue - Your still in my thoughts & prayers, I hope the grandchildren are doing okay and dealing with everything. I know its hard, I've witnessed it (my mother), so hang in there, time is the only thing that will help ease the greif for you & your husband, so be kind to yourself and try and think about the wonderful times and the wonderful memories you have of your daughter.

I think it is natural to want to lose the weight quickly and don't get me wrong..I've never lost 40 pounds in a row before!! So I'm not complaining. And your loss really does serve as a motivation that this works and can happen. I don't ever want to take that away from you and certainly don't wish to make you feel bad at all.

I stayed stuck at 30-35 pounds for about 8 weeks. I'm happy the scale is moving again. And I can feel the restriction.

Happy birthday Lisa. It is cool that you share it with your son.

And yes, Sue, you are stil in our thoughts. The days must be a real struggle. But you're not alone!

Shawn

Thanks for the birthday wishes!! I carried him 2 weeks over and the doctor wanted to induce the day before my birthday....I convinced him to wait until the day after, just in case!! Of course none of us have any say over the situation...after 16 hours of labor he was there. We had a good day, they had a ball game tonight, he is the 1st baseman and made a double play.....SO AWESOME to see your child do a great job!

Okay, enough about my boys.....I could go on all night on that subject!

Sunshine puts things into words much better than I do.....hope that I don't ever offend anyone and sure don't want to discourage someone success. Yes, I'm calling it a success....anything we all lose is a plus and should be seen a such!

Have a good weekend!!

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your daughter is beautiful. How does a mother indure this? I agree with Tonya, spend time with those 3 beautiful babies of hers. They need you just as much as you need them. Children have a way about themselves that just brighten up a day.

Dee

Well,

I'm finally going for my 3rd fill. I have been stuck for a long time at my current weight. I have no restriction at all. But I haven't gained an ounce, so the band is working. I just need it to work a little bit better. I have been avoiding a fill because I don't want any of the bad side affects that may come with being too tight. So far, I haven't had a single problem. Well does grazing count as a problem. I need to get that under control for sure. I work nights and can't seem to my act together. Who was it that said their CPAP machine was helping them loose weight? No matter, I'm going to try my best to wear the darned old thing. The most I can manage is 3-4 hours and then I yank it off. Man I hate it, but if it will help, I'm up for it. I was wondering what diet your doctor recommends after a fill. The hospital says liquids for 3 days and my surgeon says one day. I will go to the gym in the morning! GRRRR I need words of encouragement! HELP!!!

Dee

Well,

I'm finally going for my 3rd fill. I have been stuck for a long time at my current weight. I have no restriction at all. But I haven't gained an ounce, so the band is working. I just need it to work a little bit better. I have been avoiding a fill because I don't want any of the bad side affects that may come with being too tight. So far, I haven't had a single problem. Well does grazing count as a problem. I need to get that under control for sure. I work nights and can't seem to my act together. Who was it that said their CPAP machine was helping them loose weight? No matter, I'm going to try my best to wear the darned old thing. The most I can manage is 3-4 hours and then I yank it off. Man I hate it, but if it will help, I'm up for it. I was wondering what diet your doctor recommends after a fill. The hospital says liquids for 3 days and my surgeon says one day. I will go to the gym in the morning! GRRRR I need words of encouragement! HELP!!!

Dee

I'm sure you've thought of this, but I want to ask just in case. Are you sure you have the right mask for your CPAP? As you probably know, they have some that rest under your nose and don't sit on your face like a Darth Vader mask. I use the Swift mask, but there are several other light masks that are like it. For me this lighter type mask is much easier to use. And the CPAP in general helps me feel a lot better.

Like I say, I'm sure you've thought of all this. Just wanted to toss it out there.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but I want to ask just in case. Are you sure you have the right mask for your CPAP? As you probably know, they have some that rest under your nose and don't sit on your face like a Darth Vader mask. I use the Swift mask, but there are several other light masks that are like it. For me this lighter type mask is much easier to use. And the CPAP in general helps me feel a lot better.

Like I say, I'm sure you've thought of all this. Just wanted to toss it out there.

I tried the Darth Vader mask and there was NO WAY, not only did it bother me, the straps and the thing that rest on my forehead gave me migranes (I'm proned to them). So I got one of those that you stick in your nostrils. What does a Swift mask look like?

Dee:help:

I tried the Darth Vader mask and there was NO WAY, not only did it bother me, the straps and the thing that rest on my forehead gave me migranes (I'm proned to them). So I got one of those that you stick in your nostrils. What does a Swift mask look like?

It's similar to the ones that you stick in your nostrils, but it's a little less intrusive because it sits up against your nostrils, instead of going in.

Here is a link to a page that shows it.

Resmed Mirage Swift Mask

Is this it?

69.jpg

My husband just got this one and doesn't like it. Maybe I will give it a try?

This is what mine looks like.

respironics-mylife-optilife-ad.jpg

Dee

It's similar to the ones that you stick in your nostrils, but it's a little less intrusive because it sits up against your nostrils, instead of going in.

Here is a link to a page that shows it.

Resmed Mirage Swift Mask

Thanks, I checked it out. It looks just like my husbands, so at least I can try his. When he got it, they gave him several sizes of the nose pads.

Later,

Time for bed! I need to get to sleep, I know this is also one of the reasons I'm not losing. Not enough sleep since I work nights. GRRR I will do better in this department too!

Hi everyone. I was just catching up and I want to say how sorry I am about your daughter Sue. My brother died 2 years ago at the age of 25 and my parents struggle daily. I can't imagine what you are going through and I want you to know that you are in my prayers!

I too am losing faster with my band than I ever have before. I was always the slowest loser in the bunch, always way below the "average". I am not losing as fast as some but I am losing fast for me and I am thrilled to death.

This is a journey and I am blessed that I was able to take it!

Sue sorry to hear about your lost, I lost a nefew a couple of weeks ago in a car crash. Hang in there.

How is everyone doing with the weight loss, I haven't really been on in a while. Too busy with the summer. I feel like I am stuck. I have been picking on chips, something I really didn't do before. Well I will chat later. It looks like a few of what I seen are really doing well.

I finally feel like a bandster. I had my 5th fill yesterday and am now at 3.8 ccs in a 4 cc band. And I FINALLY HAVE RESTRICTION!!!!! I've been at a plateau for a couple of weeks and have been binge eating at night. Thanks to this last fill, binging won't be possible. In fact, I've been working on my Nutrisystem lunch for an hour now and only have 1/4 of it down. I'm feeling hopeful again. I think this is the first time I've truly felt restriction. What a difference it makes.