Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Mignon Belgium

I'm off to Sri Lanka!

S, I'll be texting and thinking of you! See you on the board on the losing side babes!

I'm tackling the man in stages, I think that it's best if I just keep on with the subject and ease him into it. Got a friend who'd had it done round for dinner last night, he had obviously listened to what I wanted because he asked her loads and loads of questions about it!

We'll see how it goes on.....

Managed to borrow my sisters OH internet connection! Thank you for the wishes of luck! Great to hear that you are tackling your OH in typical female fashion, slowly bur surely....he doesn't stand a chance :D

C you all later

Sxxx

Well it had better go on very well, because I've booked it for 9th January!

Plucked up the courage, made the call and I'm on my way!

I've got another hosp. appointment on Tuesday, so I'll combine the two, things and make an executive decision to get this done once and for all.

have an ace weekend. How's the pre op diet going???

I'm really excited for you... you're going to be on the losing side very soon!

Hx

Hx

Thats good if you have a friend who has got the band fitted, how much has your friend lost?? You two are the closest I've got.......

I bet you feel relieved now you have your op booked??

I bet Sri Lanka is gorgeous, I'm off to Cuba for my Honeymoon in April.

I still have this dreaded feeling that I am going to get this band fitted and still not be able to lose weight, I suppose its because I have tryed sooooo hard to lose in the past and managed to lose a couple of stone and but put it all back on again. I really hope and I can make a success of it this time....what are you thoughts on the loose skin (nice) as well?:nervous

Hi there!

My friend has lost 12 stone, in 18 months... Her loss has evened out now and she's successfully maintaining.

As for hoping that this works... Well so long as you follow the guidelines to the letter... (when does your pre op diet start?) then you WILL lose the weight. It is hard work tho' and we'd do well to remember that our band will be like the diet police!

Ultimately we have to choose to eat a healthier diet the quantities will sort themselves out.

The loose skin is a potential problem. There are several schools of thought and they go something like this

1. The loose skin will never go and will need to be surgically removed at a later date.

2. The loose skin will tighten over time, but it could take up to 3 years for it to shrink back.

3. And this is the most radical one... If you loose ALL your excess fat and get your Body fat% down to 20% or below, your skin will fit your body more quickly. The author of this theory reckons that the reason that some people need surgery is because they lack the motivation to loose the final few lbs that will enable the skin to shrink. Stating that fat congregates at the bottom of the empty sacks meaning that the body still sees the excess saggy bits as essential for storage of fat!

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I'm not too worried about it because it's got to be better than being a fat biffa, and if all else fails... well there's always surgery! I would rather spend the money on putting my boobs back on my chest rather than taking up the excess skin on my tum!!!

Hx

I feel better speaking to you....talking to someone who is the same as me is such a relief! My OH and his family are super slim and they don't understand, they are very supported and my OH understands completley as he thinks it's really unfair that I am like this, as they can all eat what they want..they have the same battle to put weight on as what I have to lose it, but I'd much rather have it their way round.

My Mother in Law to be, when she found out my plans, said I just needed to eat from a smaller plate!! if only that was the answer!! my OH said to her 'do you not think she has tried that already, amongst the millions of other diets etc, shes tried'...

I wonder how Libertysuzannes getting on I'm really excited for her can't wait to here from her..............:clap2:

I've been texting her over the past few days, op went good as far as I can make out. She should be on her way home now, all banded and on fluids for the rest of the week!

She said it was uncomfortable but not painful post op and she was wide awake on Tuesday afternoon! ( apparently all the other pts were fast asleep, so she was on her own!)

My Sister is trying currently to help me stick with the Cambridge diet. Not doing too well at the moment! :-(

Hx

Well at least your trying to diet, I on the other hand can't take control at the moment, I'm OK usually when I've done my 1st few days. I started weight watchers for the (can't remember how may times Iv'e re-joined) in March (6 weeks post-natal) and was dieting and managed to lose 1 1/2 stone then went on holiday in Sept, talked about this surgery with OH when I came back as was miserable on holiday, from that point I knew I was border line with my BMI so went a bit mad pre consultation and can't stop, now think I've put all my weight back on....but thats just how my life has been for the last 10 years! diet starve myself and then can't control the hunger beast!!!:hungry:

I have to keep trying otherwise my life until surgery will just be one long last supper with me eating everything in sight!

managed more of the day today, in fact up until 8.30pm when I found myself in the kitchen eating a cheese sandwich, then a few handfuls of raisins, then.... Oh dear, ryvita with philadelphia cheese (the full fat sort!) then I finished off the Crunchy Oat Cereal, oh dear oh dear oh dear! but at least it was better than the night before when I managed until lunch time then ate tuna melt panini, two pork pies, on palmier, a large pack of parsnip crisps, and then about 10pm I had roe and chips!!

So you can really see why I'm getting fatter and fatter ;-(

OMG! I've just read back what I ate yesterday and I have to say that I'm totally disgusted with myself. Maybe I ought to go back to keeping a food diary?? It might help I reckon.

What date is your op booked for?

My ops booked for the 14th November so I'm flying out their 2 weeks tomorrow, I'm, really excited during thday and then can't sleep some nights for thinking of the worst! I'm just that sort of person. I can't wait to start really having ago at this and I know it's not long off everthing is booked and paid for!!

Yeah a food diary is good but you have to be really strict with yourself to 1) remember to write it down the moment you ate it as you'll forget 2) Not to miss the naughties off when youv'e been doing it for a while....

Hows Libertysuzanne today do you know?? I have booked Mon-Fri off work (well I only work Tues, Thurs & Sat) I work in the A&E dept in my local hospital so it's weird shifts, I'm probably going to have to ring in sick on the Sat I get back but I don't no what to say, as none of them know bar 1 girl, and I want it to stay that way!!!, can't get away with anything working around so may Doc's & Nurses! You think I could of given a back-hander to one of em and they could of done it, lol!

Yeah I think I have been having the last supper and going mad I really need to take control now! I am going to try today will let you know.

Have you magaged to tell OH yet??

HI ya girls!

I'M BACK!!!!

I can truthfully say you arre not making the wrong decision! The whole trip went really well. I was fortunate in the fact that I seemed to recuperate from the anaesthetic (sp?) really quickly! Also the fact that I had other people to share the experience with was an enormous benefit!

Deidrie(sp?) was brilliant, she is actually Irish and if there are any language difficulties then she can translate for you, which was really helpful. She did everything to make our stay as stress free as humanly possible. I could not fault the care we received, I do have to say there hospitals are far cleaner than any I've been to in England and many of the staff are learning to speak English.

I shall say the only thing I hated was the bariatric Fluid you have to drink with your Xray, it made me feel icky! Thankfully didn't throw up and it was brilliant to see the band in position and working!

I'm feeling a bit bushwhacked now, having travelled 230 miles to get home today...cheese crackered would be an understament. But, guess what girls! I have not yet felt as if I am starving, even hungry goes a bit OTT to desccribe my appetite 'Peckish' I think would be the best word to use! I'm also amazed at the amount of weight I have already lost, it's like the band opened up a flood gate for my fat to be finally burned off! I think this has been the best money I have ever spent!

Any questions feel free to PM. Thank you H for your text, sorry I did not answer all of them, I was having technical issues with my phones!

Chat soon

Suzannexxxx

Hey no worries, I didn't expect you to answer all of them,...God it would have cost a fortune, I have package of 500 texts so it's no issue and I get a bit txt happy! :-)

Glad that you were really well after your op, I was too after I had my varicose veins done in September. Drifted off at 9.00 and awoke at 12.30 in the recovery room... wide awake, no sickness, no woosiness nothing!

Although I do have to say that I felt a bit 'stupid' for about a week after the op, like someone had taken about 40 points of my IQ away, which was a bit of a challlenge as I need my brain!

Funnily I'm not worried about the actual operation anymore... I'm worried about it working for me. Stood on the scales this morning... OMG another 3lb gain. I've really got to stop, but I feel, as I said earlier that my life has become one long last supper!

Trying to persuade OH to go for a curry tonight.... what am I like?!

Although I've been really good today. I decided not to be too hard on myself and so, I've had a massive bowl of green salad and two Meal Replacements. I feel hungry, but I guess that's only to be expected.

Glad to see that 1 1/2 stones of your 'lard' has already shifted, you'll be wearing slinky size 14's by Christmas at this rate, no worries!!!

3 weeks and 5 days til my hols still struggling but feel a bit like I don't have to do it all before time. Mission impossible to be honest so not going to stress about it!

Hi

Glad your back and all is well, you have put my mind at rest, and my mothers! I'm so relieved you reported back so positively.

How long does the operation take? are you up and about as normal now? how long are you having off work??

Anon my heart goes out to you, I totally know how you feel love, there isn't much you can do in 3 weeks chuck just enjoy being the old you....and have really good holiday......have you told your OH about your op now??

Sarah

x

Still not managed to let him know yet! Friend gave him a book on the adjustable gastric band on Wednesday!! Think he might be getting the message that it's what I want!

Just need to pick the right time to let him know of my intentions, but it's coming along nicely. You know what they say... slowly slowly catchy monkey!!

I feel happier knowing that I have it all organised and that I've set the wheels in motion to have a fully informed OH who is, I hope, totally on side by the date of my surgery.

Hx

Hi Sarah,

The Op took all of 45 minutes! Seems such a short of time! The anaesthetic tends to react differently with different people. I was lucky that I seemed to recover quite quickly from it. The other girls took a lot longer, but we all went home on the Thursday. Travelling was exhausting but considering the surgery that isn't suprising at all.

They advise you to take a couple of days off work and only start back when you feel ready. All I can say is whatever you do don't rush! It seems to come nad go in waves, one minute you feel as fit as a fiddle, then you can feel completely knackered. I'm 5 days out of the surgery and things feel as if they are starting to return to normal. More awake than asleep.

Oh and another thing, to help your recovery while they are preparing you for your surgery, make a concerted effort to think positive thoughts. My last thought was of 'Pink Elephants' (don't ask :)). But, I came out of it feeling happy, I think it helps you to recover from the general.

Sx