Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Mignon Belgium

OOOOhhhhhh! Need to read the Closer magazine, usually I don't read it. Does it mention the whole belgium fiasco. If it doesn't then I'll buy it to show to OH, if it does then I definitely won't be having it in the house!

quite excited about tomorrow now. Early start as I'm driving there!

H x

It does have the belgium fiasco and it doesn;t give the complete details, which it does on her website. You can point out that you will be x-rayed the day after which Ann wasn't. Also the article shows what does happen when it works, she has lost 4 stone in 6 months and dropped 5 thats right 5!!!!!! Dress sizes!

By the way, safe journey :lol: Don't do like I did, which was close my eyes on the scale, I didn;t want to see what weight I actually was! I have no proper idea of how much I weigh but I do know that my BMI is bang on 40! eeeek!

there'd be very little point, I already know exactly what I weigh and what my BMI is so no shockers here!

Hope all has gone well with Dr Mignon, I can't wait to hear what you think about it!

I have finally found somewhere th at offers aftercare for gastric band patients even when they have been done in a foreign country and it is only 11 miles away! Going to get in touch with them and see how much they charge.

Shock, Horror!!!! :omg:

I'm shorter and fatter than I thought!!! :confused:

The last time I was measured was at the hospital when I was pregnant with my first child..... He's 18 now, it seems that in the ensuing years I've shrunk 2cm!

Oh well, not to worry.

Dr Mignon was very amenable and explained all the risks and the procedure very well, he was also at pains to say that he was available via email and Deirdre for any questions I might have and also for aftercare, He also explained that there would be a barium meal post operatively to ensure that the band was in the right place. The band he uses holds 7cc so and he put the demo one over my thumb to demonstrate restriction.... no wonder you can't eat much!

He explained that each meal would only be about 3 tablespoons full and that would fill me up completely.

He also explained how some people get into trouble with their bands, and drew lots of diagrams to show what a dialated stomach looks like!

Very impressed.

You know what I felt that he hadn't taken my measurements properly! I had had my weight and height checked at the doctors and they worked out my BMI was 35.4. I know that is below the normal level for band surgery but I did have other medical conditions, to balance it out.

Still I wasn't that fussed as long as I could have the operation done.

Despite that little bug bear he was very informative about the whole procedure although he didn't mention the barium meal just the x-ray. I think he already guessed there were some flavours I couldn't stomach already so omitted it lol. Glad he did or I would have really been dreading it! I'm all booked now so it's tough cookie and I shall just have to hold my nose and swallow....bleurgh!

Not long to go for me now eeek, another day and then it is the pre op diet. I have my son acting as my food conscience which is extremely useful!

Have you told your partner yet?

Glad to hear it went well for you though :confused:

Oh lordy! The pre op diet.... Just yoghurt for 7 days with tea and coffee, and water...... Dear God! However he also said that he had a patient who didn't follow the diet a couple of weeks ago and her liver was so large he couldn't move it to get the band on, so now you know how important it is for you to get on with it. :confused:

Still haven't managed to have the conversation with him. Trying again with Cambridge diet today..... so far have had Cranberry crunch bar and coffee.

I just hope that I can stick to it this time.... Only 6 weeks til I go on holiday so need to get some weight off before I get on that bl**dy plane! :angry

I'm having that cross feeling with myself at the moment, wondering how I let myself get this way again? I know that my weight loss will only be temporary, but it is nevertheless necessary, because I'm down to my last pair of trousers that fit me at the moment, which isn't good as I have to keep washing them over and over and over again!

Ho hum.

Awww hun big hugs. I know exactly how you feel, but I have got to the stage where I have to stop blaming myself because it has a reverse affect on my whole personality and well being.

It's funny how you were saying about clothes, I have just been doing the laundry and I realised I wash more clothes for Christian than I do for myself! I think I have two jumpers and 3 trouser/skirts that expand enough to wear. I have stopped buying clothes for myself which was my favourite past time!

I managed to negotiate on the pre-op diet, I get to drink slimfast. He told me the story of the enlarged liver as well, wonder if he tells all his patients to ensure that they stick to the pre-op diet. I shall not think like that as I end up being rebellious and doing exactly the opposite lol. But, I can't know if what he says is true lol so I shall behave! Don't want to go there and then not be able to have the op!!!

I am sure you will manage to lose weight for your holiday, I shall keep all my fingers and toes crossed for you! Are you going to arrange the date for your op before or after you have spoken to hubby?

Do you suffer from a sense of shame because your going for the op. I know there are timnes when I just feel so humiliated that I can't actually do it myself. But, then I look at the reality, I have been bouncing from one diet to another for almost 9 years. It's unfortunate that this yo-yoing is detrimental to mental and physical health, so it's not really my fault, I have tried everything and never experience the real rewards. Only for a week or two afterwards nad then it all creeps back on. So the band should be something to be proud of, you are taking control of your body back.

I think so many people see it as the easy way out but it's not at all!

Sx

Suz,

You know about the pre op diet, well, I've been practicing eating like a bandster!

It's really hard to chew everything to a puree before swallowing it! I'm more used to shovelling everything in, chewing a couple of times then swallowing! :embarassed:

It took me nearly 10 minutes to finish a piece of bread last night!

Now I'm beginning to see exactly how and why I will lose weigh following it... Not long for you now!

Are you having a 'farewell meal' I know it's the one thing that you shouldn't do but can't be helped, your life is about to change for the better!

With regards to OH well I'm going to tell him before I book the op, 'cos I'm hoping that he'll come with me to Belgium.... treat it a bit like a boose cruise as it were, with a useless lump in tow to boot!

Oh and you're absolutely right about the ashamed bit, when I think about having it done, I do feel a bit of a failure, tbh I don't know why I can't manage to get myself back on the straight and narrow.... (already eaten this morning).

I'm hoping that the only regret I'll have is that I didn't have it done before now.

How are you feeling now hun?? Nervous, excited, scared, calm????

Well, I am nervous about the pre op diet lol. Feeling relatively calm about the actual op now, there's no turning back now!

I had the final farewell meal last Sunday at our local indian with my dad, best friend, her hubby, their kids and mine. A pleasent evening was had by all! I haven't attemtped the slow chewing as yet, I am at the moment eating most food that could be 'classed' as mussy lol. Not intentionally just happened that way. Mind you did try to chew some of my homemade wheat free pizza last night, I think it is going to take some getting used to!

Daz, best friends hubby is going to cook me a wheat free apple crumble, which we are all going to enjoy on sunday. My last sweet treat before the diet lol.

I am sure your other half will enjoy a trip to belgium are you going to go by ferry? I'm having my first trip on eurostar. Your right in having your hubby going with you, I am h aving to go on my own and that is the one thing I am not looking forward to, still if there is another english woman in my room it shouldn't be to bad!

And don;t worry about feeling as if you should be doing something more than you already are! I am sure I read somewhere that the yo-yo dieting that both you and I suffer from is not an uncommon problem and it getsharder to shed the pounds with every diet you try. Also it's more than guaranteed that once you have stopped you put it ron and thensome, it isn't anything you could or couldn't have done, so don't blame yourself.

Ooooohhhh apple crumble! I love apple crumble, Are you intolerant to wheat or do you have Coeliac's disease?

We will probably travel on the tunnel it's quicker and there's no chance of sea sickness!! We've been on it a couple of times before, just for day trips, and we really liked the speed of it!

After speaking with Dr Mignon, I know that it's best for me to wait until after Christmas to get this sorted. In the meantime, I need to deflate the balloon that is my stomach!

I have never been officially diagnosed as having a wheat allergy, so it is a wheat intolerance. I only discovered this intolernace when I went onto the Atkins diet, omitting all wheat sudden;y gave me a new lease of life, I didn't feel as exhausted all the time, my skin veritably glowed! Spots that had been the bane of my life started to disappear.

Of course I had to experiment and have been doing so ever since, every so often, in the hope that wheat would sudden;y be acceptable, but everytime I try to eat it in some shap or form,th e reasction is obvious and strangely becoming more obvious as time goes on. So, basically I need to steer clear of it!

THe wheat free apple crumble was fantastic! To be honest I couldn;t eat all of my serving, which is no bad thing. Mind you, it is hard to chew that into mulch lol.

Tomorrow is the official start of the pre op diet. I must admit I am having mixed feelings. Some mention it as a mourning process, grieving for the loss of food. But, shouldn't I of already had a few days to feel this way? lol

The prospect of the quickly advancing journey is making me a little nervous to, it feels like I am Ian Armstrong preparing to go to the moon! I'm sure I will be fine tomorrow. I just need to get some sleep.

Nightx

Well! How's the first day of your pre op diet going??!

good I hope there's to be no picking or just having a 'little bit' of this or that! Remember the reason for this diet.... Shrinking your liver so that you can have the surgery that you're paying a whole load of money for!

Just slim fast and yoghurt eh? I can't wait!

Hx

Hi ya H :)

My first day is going OK! I am not exactly sticking to the presdcribed yoghurt and slimfast bit. I have just changed it a wee bit, after reading quite a few pre op diet threads. I am doing, slimfast, low cal Soup and another slimfast. In theory it should have the same effect. It's just i can't stand the cold and I would be drinking cold drinks all day!!! Bleurgh! It's still aliquid diet, based on the post op diet. Am I wicked??? Lets hope I haven't scuppered my chances lol! Fairly confident i haven't, but at least you will be able to know what not to do :)

Had another bit of good news. I have found a clinic only 20 mins from me that will happily deal with my fills and nutrition etc. It is £150 a session but happy to pay the extra for somewhere closer to home. I also suspect i will get more dietary advice from this service as well. So I feel a lot more secure!

How are you doing?

Ah well I am now going to enjoy slow spoonfuls of chicken and sweetcorn soup! Bless Sainsburys for their fresh Soup section!

Sx