Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Goal, I Am Upset

I had doctor appointment this Thursday and I asked him what is my weight goal from his point of view and I was very disappointing with answer

I am 5'7" and my weight in the ticket below.

he told me that I can expect to loose 80 lbs with sleeve, might be 100lb but he doubt it.

and I was a bit shocked. I need to loose at least 100 but better 120. and now I feel like I fail even before staring.

he said if I want to loose more I need to do bypass. and I don't want to do this.

Why is he ruin my dream?

My doctor said that I should expect to lose about 80% of my excess weight. Now, if I want to lose it ALL, then I have to be diligent and exercise and eat right till it al comes off. He is stating that based on his experience and what he has seen. So, once you lose the 80lbs, evaluate. If you want to lose more you may have to just be diligent and work harder. Work your sleeve and going to the gym. Don't be discouraged!!!!

I am 5'6". I weighed 254 when I started and I stay right around 135 now. I do have to watch what I eat, but I enjoy Snacks, cocktails, and fattier food choices on occasion. I exercise 4-5 days per week for at least an hour, generally a brisk walk.

There are plenty of people here who have lost 120 lbs. or more.

Best wishes on your journey,

Lynda

Uhm...doctors speak in terms of what the literature tells them. A bunch of numbers and averages. Think of what would happen if he told you you'd lose 120lbs and you topped out at 80lbs. You'd probably be disappointed and think he had something to do with it. In reverse, if he tells you you'll only lose 80lbs. and you end up losing 120lbs., you are pleasantly surprised and he looks like a hero.

If it's any consolation, I know of plenty of people who have lost ALL of their excess weight with the sleeve; and many of them had to lose waaaaaaaay more than 120lbs.

At the end of the day, it's what you make of it.

I wouldn't go blaming him for ruining your dream just yet. Just like Oncologists tell cancer patients they only have 6 months to live & they live for years after, all doctors speak from their own experience with patients or what is in the literature.

This is a just a tool, you can use it to lose more than 100 pounds or not lose at all--either way, you have to put some work into it.

I'm not a doctor, but I believe yours is wrong about this.

I believe your loss will not be limited to an 80lbs. If you have done any reading on here you will see plenty of people who have lost more than 80lbs.

I'm not a doctor, but I believe yours is wrong about this.

I believe your loss will not be limited to an 80lbs. If you have done any reading on here you will see plenty of people who have lost more than 80lbs.

This is exactly why I was unpleasantly surprised. I read a lot of post and see how people can changed. I am very stubborn girl so after my appointment I just thought that now I need to prove that he is wrong I can go to my 160lbs dream and might be even beyond that. I just think that all information can be said 2 way. one way give you hope another make you disappointing.

Im a doctor and sleeved, I think your doctor was talking about the statistics that manages and combine their experiecia and what the books say, but the most important thing is what you want to accomplish. If you are disciplined nobody can stop for you to achieve your goal.

Im a doctor and sleeved, I think your doctor was talking about the statistics that manages and combine their experiecia and what the books say, but the most important thing is what you want to accomplish. If you are disciplined nobody can stop for you to achieve your goal.

Thank you. I understand. but if he said something like that:" everyone is different and it depend on you how much you loose. I would say let do the first goal of 80lb to loose and review it after that." the same number but sound differently....

You're right. But please try to forget that, and concentrate on your gol.

I am 5'3 started at 278 goal that was given to me is 174 my person goal is 158 ish really 155-160

This is exactly why I was unpleasantly surprised. I read a lot of post and see how people can changed. I am very stubborn girl so after my appointment I just thought that now I need to prove that he is wrong I can go to my 160lbs dream and might be even beyond that. I just think that all information can be said 2 way. one way give you hope another make you disappointing.

Don't let anyone discourage you! If anything, use it as fuel, to prove to your Doctor what YOU can do! This tool is yours to use, and you can do it!

I felt the same way. I am also 5'7" and my doctor told me I was looking at 80 lbs. and I was thinking of 120 to 140. After 80 lbs. I would still weigh 212. I wouldn' t go through all of this to still be obese. After reading posts here I realize more is possible and decided after surgery I will do more to show him I can.

I'm 5'5" and at my first post op appointment my doctor asked me what my goal was. I said I wasn't sure and he had my goal listed at 185. I started at 243.6. He based this off the norm or literature or something else, but I asked him to change it and so he did. My dr goal is 155, but my personal goal is 135. I think he just wanted me to succeed so he wouldn't go lower. Maybe he just doesn't realize how motivated I am to succeed. I'm 5 mos out and right at 170. His little goal of 155 has only made me determined to blow right on past it and reach mine at 135. Like the others have said this is a tool and it's what you make of it. Turn that disappointment into fuel for the fire lit within you. You can lose whatever you set your mind to with the sleeve. I'm convinced.

Hi there. I think that the best thign to remember is that the sleeve is a tool, a great one but it's only a tool - we are responsible for the outcome. So if you want to lose more and are dedicated to change, then you will achieve it. The way I look at it (and I wanna lose around 200 pounds) is that the sleeve just gives me the chance to make the changes I've tried to make in the past but were impossible to maintain without the tool. Good luck and it's always nice to be the "outlier" when presented with the "statistics" of our weight loss capacity...