Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To Vertical Sleeve... Looking For Supportive Friends Going Through The Same Thing..

Hi My name is Lisa. I am 39 years old, a mom of two wonderful young ladies ( Amanda - 21 and Meagen - 16) and am engaged to the love of my life... Stephen. Oh I think I forgot to mention.... I am 110 pounds over weight, have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Herniated Discs, Bursitis, Migraines, Artheritis, Water in both of my knees and Carpel Tunnel. All in all that pretty much sums me up. A loving mother, fiancee and morbidly obese woman....

I weighed 125 pounds soaking wet in High School.. fell in love and got married straight out of High School. Two daughters later and about 100 pounds later the SOB left me. OK I dealt with that hurdle... by eating !! Gained about 20 pounds and finally said enought is enough. For 13 years I took care of him and my kids... its time to take care of ME. I went on a crazy strict diet, exercised non stop and lost 70 pounds !! WOO HOO I was down to 170.... only 10 pounds from my goal weight. And then it happened...

I fell in love with Stephen. My love who adored me so much and thought the sun rose and set on me. Well... he also liked "chunkier" women so little by little I began to gain " Happy Fat ".... Uh and here I am 4 years later at the biggest I have ever been and it's no longer "Happy Fat". He is a doll and says every day how I am beautiful inside and out. While that is fine for HIM to say it's not ok for me. I am not happy with how I look, feel and my health is a huge testiment that I have to do something about it NOW !!

I went to a seminar for Dr. Kaul on July 3, 2012. The next day was the fourth of July and I had my last burger that day. I had an appointment with him on the 4th, found out I was a candidate for the surgery and my insurance fully covers it. Since that day I have cut out 90% of all carbs, totally cut out sugars and salt, eat Proteins and vegetables for lunch and dinner and even have a Protein Shake each morning for Breakfast. I have been to a million and one doctor appointments in the past two months ( OK more like 15 ) to get all kinds of clearances. They are NOT easy to do but each time I wonder if the whole thing is worth it I feel my knee give way or I get tired by the time I get across the parking lot and I know I'm makign the right decision. So.. with only one clearance left ( tomorrow ) I am all set to go. OH and just by changing my diet I have lost 12 pounds.. Yeah sound great until I eat a slice of pizza and put back on 5 of those 12 pounds.

Where was I ?? Oh so my surgery is on Monday. A week from today and though I am freaking out I am very happy to finally be on the road to recovery and recouperation. Yes I said recovery b/c I was addicted to food. This new surgery is going to help me learn how to eat and help me to get healthy. I have support around me but no one has been through what I am about to go through> This is why I am reaching out for friends.

My friends list is brand new.. won't you be one of the first to welcome me ??

Have a wonderful day. XOXO Lisa

post-37733-13813659652983_thumb.jpg

WELCOME! I'm still pre-op, trying to tick off the insurance requirements as quickly as I can get appointments to do them. I'm amazed at how quickly you got approval!! that's awesome!

I wish you the best of luck - I'm sure that you will see relief of many of your symptoms as the weight comes off - and that loving husband will love you even more when you feel as sexy as he sees you to be. Confidence is everything, and you'll get it back when you see your body changing!

Keep us updated on post-op! :)

Hi Lisa.

Welcome to VST, its a great site and I am so happy I came across it. Like you, I was diagnosed with a few things that took me for a loop (high blood, sleep apnea, diabetes, arthritis). My best buddy was a quarter pounder or double whopper w/ all the fixin', and side of fries. I had to make a decision to STOP and do something about what was going with me.

I yo-yo'd on diets for years (I'm 51) and my primary suggested bariatric surgery and it took me about a year to make up my mind to do it, and I am so glad I did. I had to do this for me and only me (I selfish at this point) because no one else could or would. I was sleeved on June 26 - lost 48lbs (total to date is 60lbs :P), when I started my journey I weighed 289lbs...lost 12lbs by the time I made up y mind to go for it.

Don't worry you have plenty of support here at VST. We're here for EACH OTHER and that is the joy of this site. Again, welcome. :)

Hi Lisa, I'm new too. I'm still at the pre-op stage and I cannot wait to have my surgery. I am in the process of getting through a 6 month period which is required by my insurance. There is so much to do, so much planning and visiting with doctors, nutritionists and case managers that sometimes I feel completely overwhelmed but I know in the end it will be worth it.

Good luck on your journey and hopefully we can keep in touch.

Holly

Hello lisa... Great story. Any questions on your mind ask away. I'm 4.5 months post op -76 pounds down from my heighest weight is 298. No regrets, I feel great. This procedure has totally revamped my relationship with food. It is a process and it can be frustrating at times, but it is so worth it.

Welcome and best wishes! I just began my adventure. I attended a seminar in July and met with the surgeon last week. Tomorrow is my upper GI and ultrasound. My NUT and PSYCH have been scheduled and I'm just waiting on the pulmonary and EGD to be scheduled. This is the best thing Ive ever done for myself and I can't wait to enjoy my life again!

Welcome! I am 38 and have two boys (13 & 9) and married for almost 17 years.

I am 5 weeks post op and down 17 inches & almost 25 pounds since surgery. If there are any questions I can help you with please ask!!

This has been the best decision for ME! I am so glad that I had it done. We will hit our 40's with a whole new lookout on life!!!!!

Welcome! You sound so sweet and it Sounds like you have a wonderful life :). This is such a journey- one in which I've never gone through and am looking forward to my surgery and moving on to th next phase. Thanks for sharing your story xxxx

Welcome luv my surgery is on Friday congrats god bless and keep going your success is within U

Cheers

Parris;)

Hi Lisa! I'm also 39 and just waiting for insurance clearance. I've been heavy all my life with a couple of slim years here and there for my wedding and tenth class reunion. Best of luck with your surgery and your new life! My BFF and I are planning a 40 th birthday trip to Vegas next summer to Celebrate out birthdays first, our twenty plus years of friendship and I will be celebrating the new me! Keep I touch. I can't find a friends list otherwise I would of sent you a request. -Nancy J

Hi Lisa - I am new here also. I am scheduled for my surgery on 8/23. I can't wait to make this change in my life because I am also 100 lbs. overweight. I have two beautiful daughters and a wonderful supportive husband and I can't wait to see what life will be like after I lose this weight. Anyway, good luck to you!

Hi Lisa I will be having surgery on the 29th. I have to get my pulmonary clearance because I had a positive test on the sleep apnea. I have an appt scheduled this Wednesday. Because I am private pay this has moved very quickly, I am just great that I found VST, because I would have gone in with blinders on. Keep me posted on your progress. My name is Ellie I am 50 yrs old and My starting weight is 229 , I started my pre-op diet July 8th and I am at 216 . Congratulations on this great journey to the loser bench...

H e l l o Lisa...that was me hollering to you :) and giving you a great big welcome ....well from a bit of a smaller me today (hehe). You will find this forum is filled with wonderful people who are supportive, informative and caring. So glad you will be getting healthy and no more happy...f word. You will just be happy!!

Anytime you need anyone we are all here for you and anyone else who would like to chat.

Sending prayers for your upcoming surgery! I am sure you have all of your information ready, but we are all here if you think of something last minute.

Best to you.