Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Wish I Could See The Difference!

I have lost 43 lbs, from 250-207, which is awesome, but I really can't see a difference and I am still wearing all the same clothes (albeit, with a belt). Its just really discouraging to have done so much work and still be a big fat person. No one has noticed or said anything. Although, i think if they did i would be embarrassed. The few people I have told that I lost 40 lbs, they give me a look like I am lying and they size me up and down. I have still so far to go, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I just have a hard time believing I will ever get there... Like, I'll just stop losing at some point, or the surgery won't work anymore, etc. I dream about having confidence and self-esteem again, but in my head, there's no way it could ever happen for me. The other thing is, I know that even if I lose weight, my body is still gonna look like ****, and I'm still going to hate myself. I don't have any money for plastics. I want to be beautiful. I want a taste of what that feels like. I'm sorry to be a downer today.

Go buy yourself a new, flattering outfit. Maybe even the next size down so you can watch yourself melt away and one week you will put it on and be excited you can fit in it. Or, go shopping and try new clothes on and take pictures of yourself and compare them to your before pics. Wearing the same clothes makes it harder to see the loss. Don't get discouraged! You have lost a good chunk of weight and should be proud !! Congrats on making it this far. We all have our downer days, it's how you pull yourself out of it that makes a differene. Which is hard to do, but if you find a way you will feel much better. Good luck to you!!

I agree with Alliemm. 43 pounds is a big weight loss! If you are like many (myself included), you were squeezing yourself into your clothes prior to this journey. Clothes and seams stretch to accomodate our expanding girth. Also, clothing in plus sizes tends to be more generous, so when we start to loose weight, it seems like a long time to drop a whole size. One thing I do know for sure, as you loose weight it is difficult to see in your old clothes. I love the idea of going to try on some new clothes, even if you are not ready to buy yet. As for what your body will look like once you reach goal....there are all kinds of things out there to hold things in, lift things up etc. etc. Spanx and a good bra are two examples. Also, even many pants come with tummy control panels and things like that. So I am sending you a hug and a smile. :) It is all going to be alright. Do something nice for yourself today and keep up your great work! You and others are going to start to see a difference and it will floor you!

I feel the same you do at times. For the amount of work and sacrifice I should be a skinny person by now lol!! But the reality is, it took time to look the way I do, so it's gonna take time to look slimmer. I feel like I gave up a lot ( EATING, FAVORITE FOODS, BAKED GOODS, FRIED food, SODA) so the Skinny gods should have been a little more generous in return ;)

Take pictures! that will help you see the change. My face looks completely different now. My body is not quiet there, but it is happening slowly.

And I know this weight loss is going to damage my body, but I have to believe that I am beautiful. Money for plastics is out of the picture for me as well. So We have to believe that at the end we are and will be healthy and beautiful ((HUGS))

You are doing wonderful. We all go through the not being able to see it part. You definitely need to buy at least one new pair of pants and one shirt (even from Goodwill) to let yourself and others see what you have lost. It took me 50 pounds to see any real difference in myself and about that for others to see it, but only after I wore a more form fitting outfit. The first real compliment I got was "Your arms are so tiny". Not even close, but that was the beginning. Now people who haven't seen me in months or years are really noticing everything. Just hold on a little longer. Suddenly you'll see collar bones, your rings will fall off, and you'll walk straight out of your pants. Plus, you are just DAYS away from ONDERLAND :D

I have lost 43 lbs' date=' from 250-207, which is awesome, but I really can't see a difference and I am still wearing all the same clothes (albeit, with a belt). Its just really discouraging to have done so much work and still be a big fat person. No one has noticed or said anything. Although, i think if they did i would be embarrassed. The few people I have told that I lost 40 lbs, they give me a look like I am lying and they size me up and down. I have still so far to go, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I just have a hard time believing I will ever get there... Like, I'll just stop losing at some point, or the surgery won't work anymore, etc. I dream about having confidence and self-esteem again, but in my head, there's no way it could ever happen for me. The other thing is, I know that even if I lose weight, my body is still gonna look like ****, and I'm still going to hate myself. I don't have any money for plastics. I want to be beautiful. I want a taste of what that feels like. I'm sorry to be a downer today.[/quote']

Don't be so hard on yourself. 43 pounds is really great. I'm sure that you can see some difference. You need to go through your closet and try on some clothes that maybe didn't fit so well before. I'm sure it just has to do with your wearing the same clothes you are used to seeing yourself in. Also take a look at some older pic of yourself, and if you haven't been taking pics, start from now. Are you measuring yourself? Keep a diary of your weights, measurements and thoughts. Sometimes it's easy to forget where we started. Also, people don't tend to say too much in the beginning. Only a few people at work said anything to me at first. Don't worry. It will work and you will be fabulous!

I have lost 43 lbs' date=' from 250-207, which is awesome, but I really can't see a difference and I am still wearing all the same clothes (albeit, with a belt). Its just really discouraging to have done so much work and still be a big fat person. No one has noticed or said anything. Although, i think if they did i would be embarrassed. The few people I have told that I lost 40 lbs, they give me a look like I am lying and they size me up and down. I have still so far to go, I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I just have a hard time believing I will ever get there... Like, I'll just stop losing at some point, or the surgery won't work anymore, etc. I dream about having confidence and self-esteem again, but in my head, there's no way it could ever happen for me. The other thing is, I know that even if I lose weight, my body is still gonna look like ****, and I'm still going to hate myself. I don't have any money for plastics. I want to be beautiful. I want a taste of what that feels like. I'm sorry to be a downer today.[/quote']

You must first learn to love yourself just as you are . Beauty is more than what the exterior of a person looks like , beauty comes from within ! I was sleeved on Tuesday (8/14) and have lost 23 pounds and my size 14 still give me a muffin top. That's just the way it is right now. Things will get better and as long as you follow the diet 40 will turn into 80 and 80 to 160 just be patient. Counseling may be a good idea it seems that you have a issue with self- esteem and until you deal with the underlying issues you may never love yourself as you need to. Remember none of us are perfect!!!!

You are doing wonderful. We all go through the not being able to see it part. You definitely need to buy at least one new pair of pants and one shirt (even from Goodwill) to let yourself and others see what you have lost. It took me 50 pounds to see any real difference in myself and about that for others to see it, but only after I wore a more form fitting outfit. The first real compliment I got was "Your arms are so tiny". Not even close, but that was the beginning. Now people who haven't seen me in months or years are really noticing everything. Just hold on a little longer. Suddenly you'll see collar bones, your rings will fall off, and you'll walk straight out of your pants. Plus, you are just DAYS away from ONDERLAND :D

I agree with you! No one at work could tell I had lost weight and I was just like you down about 43 lbs. I bought me 2 shirts that were 2 sizes smaller than I wore before surgery...and they fit!!! I wore one to work on the next Monday and everyone was coming up to me saying...wow, how much weight have you lost. There is even this one guy who calls me Skinny Minnie (he is a hoot). It makes me feel great! This weekend I bought a pair of straight leg jeans 2 sizes smaller and didn't try them on....I told my husband that even if I couldn't wear them now I could in a few weeks..he agreed. We got home and they fit great in the waist (I was so surprised I could get them on at all) and were too big in the legs and hips. So please try a smaller size...you might have a clothes swap at your local Wellness Center or YMCA check to see! You have done amazing and I am so proud for you!!

I echo all of the other posts here, as I have experienced much the same as you all. One other option besides buying new clothes is to have your pants altered in the butt and waist. It helps to reduce the bulk around the middle and let some of your new shape show.

One more thing, beautiful is not having a perfect body. Weight loss does not equal perfect. It is mental and physical health that is beautiful.

Try to stay focused!

I started at 375 and just now at 275 I am really seeing a difference. I know it's a mental thing... And I think part of me is "afraid" to see the difference... Can't really explain that part... Maybe I'm just so used to failure and being so fat for so long.

But at 4 months out... I know it is working and it's happening.

Good luck

I started at 375 and just now at 275 I am really seeing a difference. I know it's a mental thing... And I think part of me is "afraid" to see the difference... Can't really explain that part... Maybe I'm just so used to failure and being so fat for so long.

But at 4 months out... I know it is working and it's happening.

Good luck

You look amazing!

You look amazing!

Thank you!

You guys were right... I went to Target today and bought some new jeans, two sizes smaller than I was pre surgery. I could definitely see a difference when I was wearing them, and it cheered me up a little. It's crazy how wearing the same clothes will keep you from seeing the changes! I didn't want to buy any new stuff until absolutely necessary, because I really don't have much money. That was great though :)

You guys were right... I went to Target today and bought some new jeans' date=' two sizes smaller than I was pre surgery. I could definitely see a difference when I was wearing them, and it cheered me up a little. It's crazy how wearing the same clothes will keep you from seeing the changes! I didn't want to buy any new stuff until absolutely necessary, because I really don't have much money. That was great though :)[/quote']

That's great! I went from 250 to 220 and I still haven't bought any clothes . I want to lose 10 more pounds before I do, I did give 3 garbage bags to charity though. I have no clothes lol.