Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

First, my brother expressed his concern for my weight and wanting me to be there for his daughter (this was before I had my son) who is now 4 and I am her only auntie.

Second, my son who is now three, needs me. I am his only parent and I would hate to leave him alone over something I could have prevented.

Third, I went on a day trip to Florida (from DC) to get my niece and I had to take 4 different planes. The first and I had no problems with the seatbelt. But the other three I needed extenders and it was extremely embarrassing to have to reach over the people next to me (I always fly the window seat) to ask for it then to get it.

I've been researching WLS for about 7 years and started the process 5 years ago but decided not to go through with it. I didn't know about VSG then. I'm so glad I waited and I can't wait to finally have my surgery!!! ( the fact that I'll probably like shopping for myself again is a HUGE plus too!!)

My final straw was that my doctors were indifferent with me because i did not add up the reasons behind most of my ills. The weight was straining my knees and not helping my balance issues. Finally one doctor had the courage to tell it to me straight " either lose weight or die". That was enough for me. Enough of the pain and get back to life.

Omg! I'm do sorry. My phone said it could f post so I kept trying. Please forgive me!!! ????

Omg! I'm do sorry. My phone said it could f post so I kept trying. Please forgive me!!! ????

I was 22 and could not loose weight to save my life, even on a low carb restrictive diet and going to the gym 6 days a week. This medication made me get so sick all of the time!!! Everyone said I would get used to it eventually, they lied, after over a year on it I was still sick. I knew the weight was making me sick and tired. My nutritionist recommended it and helped me with research and I never looked back.

Enough of the pain and get back to life.

This is my straw. Pain. That was my #1.

#2 - I want to play with my kids without feeling tired or limited.

#3 - I'd like to live long enough to see my kids get as old as possible!

#4 - I'd like to stop hating my own reflection.

#5 - I'd like the motivation to actually get dressed and leave the house, or go to special occasion events, without just thinking I will look fat and ridiculous in anything I put on.

#6 - I can't even imagine what it's like to shop in a normal store, and not a specialty/plus-sized store. I want to do that.

#7 - I'd like to feel happy, and stay happy, without being reminded that there is always one thing in my life that makes me feel sad and depressed.

I had several but outside of high blood pressure, knee problems on and on...the "final" was...my husband said he wanted me around with him in retirement. Our daughter had the band and lost 70 lbs, it was the first time he was open to surgery as an option, and I was no longer afraid. He was tired of seeing me lose weight only to regain year after year and my struggles with hurt and failure.

Someone said to me "How many morbidly obese senior citizens do you see?"

My straw was being diagnosed with diabetes . I spent a year trying diet and exercise and metformin to control. Worked for a while but I know from observation that it's a long road and a terrible disease. I'm having my surgery to rid myself of diabetes, the weight loss is less important. I'm having a version of the sleeve that resolves diabetes 95% of the time.

I'm turning 25 in a few months, I've been obese and struggling with my weight since I was 14/15, enough is enough. I'm shy, don't approach people becuase I have an acute fear of rejection, moved to a new town and have zero friends, haven't been in a relationship in 6 years. Yeah I'm done, waiting to get some confirmation on when i can travel, as soon as I do, I'm on a plane to Mexico.

Wow joe! Your list is very similar to mine. Not fitting in a roller coaster really bummed me out. I hated always feeling self conscious. Leaving my two kids without a dad is heartbreaking. I also love sports and miss playing soccer. I had my sleeve may 23rd of this year. I was 309 pounds. I weighed in today at 195. It feels amazing to see the scale start with a "1"!!! I'm taking my family to Disney this year and will be on every coaster:) thanks for sharing!

You could not have said it better Mojo56, you and I are in the same boat my diabetes is not getting any better either and I know it will only get worse over time. I have 3 beautiful daughters and want to walk them down the aisle on their wedding day and live to enjoy my grandkids and maybe even great grandkids.

Lots of little aches and pains adding up. More and more medicine, as I began to show signs of diabetes. Also knowing that with Hashimoto's, I would be forever struggling against a super slow metabolism.

Hating the clothes I had to buy. Feeling too cramped in airplane seats, making me more and more unwilling to travel. Gaining weight on a Jenny Craig diet. Being last up any hill.

Waking up in the middle of the night because I couldn't breathe has, by far, been the scariest moment of my life. I have been thinking about having this surgery for about a year and a half but that definitely made me get more serious about it.

Waking up in the middle of the night because I couldn't breathe has, by far, been the scariest moment of my life. I have been thinking about having this surgery for about a year and a half but that definitely made me get more serious about it.

Hi,

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? That is when you have difficulty breathing when asleep and do not get enough oxygen. I have been using a CPAP machine to sleep since July. Sleep apnea can be remedied by getting a sleeve and losing weight. I was sleeved two months ago and I am getting a better night's rest. Look up "sleep apnea" on the Internet and find out the symptoms. Some of them are:

Waking up in the morning with a headache.

Feeling tired all day.

Waking up at odd hours and failing to get back to bed.

Lack of dreaming, since you are not getting into a sleep deep enough to have dreams.

Depression.

Good luck!

My final straw was when I was at my bridal shower last aug, I wore a dress which I thought flattered me to only have my dad tell me that he was really worried about me because I have gained so much weight! I know he did it because he loves me but I was like ohh man :( I thought I was looking good for my shower and was really unhappy during my wedding, didn't feel like the beautiful bride I should of felt like because I was so self conscious, I had to come to the realization that I have reached the heaviest I have ever been from that moment I gave weight watchers a try (again) lost 30lbs but gained back 25 of it and then I just had it!! Couldn't do the yoyo anymore...when I was 21 i went from 200 to 170, then went back to 200, then gained 10lbs then lost 30 then gained 40..same old

Story..so now I sit at my heaviest of 250 and I cannot wait until I get my sleeve!!!