Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheri, I think she meant without surgery as an eye opener for the OP. I have heard something like 5% of overweight people who lose it on there own will be able to maintain that loss.

Whew! I was like, WTH? Did some study come out that completely contradicts all of the ones I read before?! Ugh, never mind me, I have hormones on the brain. :)

Thanks for clearing that up!

~Cheri

I have been able lose weight. But I have never been able to keep it off. That is why I am choosing VSG - the restriction is an important tool for maintenance.

Pre-op here, but I am under no impression that this will be a miracle cure. Diet and exercise are probably going to be the biggest part. My hope is that the surgery will give me the restart that my body needs. Best wishes!

Thanks' date=' all of you, for your responses. I really am so touched by your compassion. Many of you describe that "switch" that clicks in your head with this surgery--and then it's different with food. Thanks, too, for helping me grasp the idea that somehow your body--since you cannot stuff it anymore--reprograms, reboots, restarts. I want that!!!! I cannot imagine a single day without waking up thinking about what thing I am getting at Starbucks--and it is not, like, the oatmeal and a bottle of water!!! (And that's just breakfast....)

I have my first appointment with a possible surgeon (Dr. Paul Macik here in Atlanta) on August 14. That was his first available date. Until then, I promise to read everything I can, ask more questions, and learn everything I can from all of you on this site! Thanks again, DeterminedGirl[/quote']

I would recommend Dr Titus Duncan. He is doing my surgery today, right here in Atlanta! It's a Center of Excellence. I am very ready, and very excited. BMI of 36, today I weighed in at 223. I've been very impressed with all of the staff too. If you are looking for an Atlanta surgeon, I recommend him. Best of luck with your process!

No one said this ago I thought I would. Statistically only 3% of obese patients will maintain weight loss. Sure we can lose the weight ' date=' but maintain it? Only 3 of every 100 will.[/quote']

That makes no sense. The worse statistic i have seem on 25% to 30% failire on the Super Obese, less failure as you weight category decreases

Hi Everyone,

I am still exploring the sleeve as a bariatric option for me. Please forgive me for asking a couple of crazy questions here. First, when I read this site, it i s just unbelievable to me that post-op people are talking about wanting to eat less, wanting to exercise, and enjoying weighing (a lot) less without struggling to stay on the weight-loss program marathon. How does this happen? I mean, I get that your stomach is smaller--but the rest of this sounds like a total paradigm shift that comes with the surgery. Do many of you feel that the surgery changed (or will change) your mental outlook? Do you think that the surgery somehow changed (or will change) your emotional connection to food?

Second, and this is the really crazy question, I am reading about how much is required here--Protein shakes, liquid diets, exercise, like, every day, counting Protein and carbs, plus all the pain and suffering of surgery. So why do the surgery at all? Were any of you tempted to think that, if you just did everything else on the list, and cut out the surgery, you would eventually get the same results?

Also, while I am on a roll here, I read "everyone loses at their own pace." Mostly, I have been gaining at my own pace for years. I really do not want to do this surgery if I think it will only get me in sight of the finish line. Like, I want to be a lean, strong girl. One time in my life, I would like the chance to be the girl I dream I could be. I am totally willing to work toward that.

I am sorry if I have asked the wrong questions here. I am just partly scared and a lot hopeful and scared to be hopeful. Thanks everyone! DeterminedGirl

First I will say that I feel like no matter how hard you prepare yourself before the surgery, it is still nothing like you expected afterward. I have said this before but it is kinda like having children...you think you know what your in for, or you think you know what the love will be like...but when it actually happens - totally different. I thought I was mentally ready for this surgery...but I was not. I have had lots of "buyers remorse" and even some depression.

The surgery forces you to change your emotional relationship with food, and I have had a tremendous struggle "breaking up" with food. I was just crying yesterday because I was at a party with tons of food, you know, the typical summer picnic, hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, potato salad, cole slaw, Desserts etc....all the stuff I used to love and now cannot have. I was able to find a couple chunks of watermelon and some baked Beans...woo hoo! I was so upset. I wound up going for a long swim until everyone was pretty much done eating and then I re-joined the party. This definitely helped take the edge off, but it was still very tough. This surgery forces you to change your mental connection with food, but it does not come easy.

I was heavy my whole life, and I like others had tried every diet from cabbage Soup to Atkins to weight watchers, and of course crazy amounts of excercise. And I too would lose 40,50 or 60 pounds, and then I would plateau. And at that plateau I would tell myself, 'damn, I am looking pretty good, I can eat this...or that', and before you know it I was back up the weight I had lost...plus a few more pounds. I am 5' tall and my highest weight (which was just before my surgery) was 248 pounds. My wake up call came when I measured my hips and they were 59'' around. And just to put that into perspective, I am 60'' tall... I said holy ****...okay, something has to be done. I did think about trying to do it on my own again, but I knew that was a temporary solution and it would only be a matter of time before I was back up to that weight, plus a few more pounds. I decided to apply a permanent solution this time with the surgery. I am now down (my ticker is wrong cause I need to update it) 37 pounds, and I can't believe that I am 11 pounds away from "onederland." The last real time I was there was at 25 years old before I got pregnant with my second child. At age 28 I was up to 240 and I went on a super kick and lost all the way down to 199, but that only lasted for like a day, and then I was right back up to 205 and then up and down over the next five years till now!

I am five weeks post-op today, and I have not started excercising yet, but I am about to start doing pilates. My doctor has just okayed it. In terms of excercise there is no magic button in my head. I have never really liked to do the eliptical or treadmills or bikes or any of that hard core sweating cardio. I prefer step-areobics and yoga and I am now going to give pilates a try, because I have met tons of people who swear by it!

The surgery is changing my mental outlook in terms of the fact that I now know that I will be around for many more years than I would have been had I stayed on the path I was on. Food was my enemy. It was literally killing me. And although I am still struggling to get energy I definitely feel more healthy than before. I can't wait to go shopping in regular stores, and buy tons of cute clothes that look just as cute on as the do on the rack. And of course I look forward to my first victoria secret something...ever!!

I absolutely hate the liquid diet, the Protein Shakes and the 3 oz. of food I can eat. This is another one of those things that I thought I was ready for pre-op, but turned out to be completely different post-op. It's kinda weird. I hate the fact that I have to force myself to eat. I have this very strange relationship with food right now. Everything looks good and sounds good and I think I want it - but when it comes to putting it in my mouth it is a totally different story. Sometimes I will chew food until its mush and then spit it out, because I just can't bring myself to swallow.

My doctor, along with hundreds of people who have had the surgery, say that it does get better. I am still waiting for this moment. I am waiting for the day when I wake up feeling normal. Until then, I am just doing the best I can to get in my nutrition and focus on the positive things in my life, like my husband and children, and how I am going to be around to see my grand children, and hopefully even great grand children one day!!

Best of luck to you determinedgirl...I am sure that you will do what is right for you.

"About 70% of people undergoing bariatric surgery can lose half of their excess weight and keep that weight off for 10 years. Although 70% is not perfect, it should be compared to the 2-3% of people who can have success by any other means available, showing that operation is the only viable option for most patients."

2-3% without surgery.

Best of luck to you determinedgirl...I am sure that you will do what is right for you.

This is an outstanding post!

I am still 3 weeks pre-op, and I wondered how people could have "buyer s remorse", but you did a great job of explaining it, and I understand better now.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using VST

For me, yeah I could've lost weight if I done the counting and the food restrictions, BUT I would cheat eventually and gain the weight right back ..( I have done that before and lost. 53 lbs) .the sleeve gives me the tools i needed to prevent myself from cheating, because if I want the big greasy cheeseburger and fries , I know that I can not eat it because it will make me sick and my stomach can not hold that much food. I now concentrate on getting nutrional foods instead of junk food , whereas before I would eat the cheeseburger and convince myself that I would lose it later or take a Vitamin for the nutrient difference. I was sleeved on June 21st and my type 2 diabetes is completely reversed A1 C levels are below normal and my blood pressure meds have been cut down 75% , an accomplishment that I have tried to do on my own for at least three years and could never do . I feel like the surgery saved my life , I already fell SO much better, even my back issues have improved. ( degenerative disc disease )

Wow. Thanks to all of you!! I am going to print out your replies and put them in a binder to re-read when I am (hopefully) post-op. What all of you said not only gave me a new way to think about the sleeve, but you also helped me focus on some new things. I see now that this is a process, a partnership, and a commitment. (I was still kind of hoping for a magic bullet.) And you helped me focus on what I need to do to learn to live the life. That is big. Really big. Just as important, you let me see that regardless where I am in this process, there are wonderful people who will hear and help. So thank you for your insights, your wisdom and your experience. Thank you for taking the time to share with me from your heart. I promise to pay it forward. More than ever, I am one DeterminedGirl.

I think when she was talking about the 3% statistic she was talking about without any kind of surgical intervention.

I haven't had my sleeve yet, so this is based off the questions I have asked my doctor, the posts I have read, and the research I have done into the physiology behind the surgery.

It seems like it's a combination of parts

1. The reduced capacity - You can't eat as much

2. The reduced production of ghrelin - Ghrelin is a hunger stimulation hormone that is produced primarily in the fundus of the stomach. By removing this section of the stomach you effectively reduce appetite. According to my surgeon, for the first year or so your hunger is driven more by low blood sugar before other parts of your stomach begin to take over ghrelin secretion.

3. A chance to reevaluate your relationship with food - If you can't eat, you have little choice but to face the reason that you overeat in the first place. For some people this is a good thing, for some it is a really tough thing to face. I think this kind of time out from food will be really helpful to me.

Those are three large reasons that I went with the sleeve, along with the decreased malabsorption of Vitamins as opposed to RNY. I chose this procedure over gastric plication because I think the removal of the fundus, leading to decreased appetite will be important in my success.

I would also love to reach the finish line for my weight and be at goal, but more than that I would like to get to a point where I am not predisposed to diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. For me it's more about health than it is about guarantees that I will reach a certain point. Weight is just a number.

I don't think this surgery is for everyone, but whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck =)

Thanks, Izuri!! This makes sense. I gotta be honest: the idea of somehow learning a new relationship with food after surgery is pretty daunting. I'm used to a pretty co-dependent, impulsive, no-hold-barred relationship. Like something healthy and independent? Sounds like magic.

I think part of the reason I worry about this SO much is that, like a lot of people, I've lost zillions of pounds--and re-gained every one of them. I'm really GREAT at losing, but really, really lousy at maintaining.

I posted today wondering whether the size of the sleeve matters. Seems it doesn't. Hmmm. Destiny happens by choice; not by chance. Thanks again!!!!

i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can lose the weight on my own. I know that I can start on a very low calorie diet and become a gym rat and eventually lose the weight. How do I know? Because I have done it many times.

However, I also know, without doubt, that I will also eventually gain each and every pound back and they are likely to bring their nasty little friends. How do I know this? Because I have done it many times.

I know the same behaviors and eating patterns will result in weight loss with or without the sleeve. What I am looking for is something permanent that I can keep with me that will help me keep weight off. I do not feel like I have failed but rather like I have taken control.

Texarkolina you took the words right out of my mouth thats why i just copied what you said

im totally the same way