Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I am still exploring the sleeve as a bariatric option for me. Please forgive me for asking a couple of crazy questions here. First, when I read this site, it i s just unbelievable to me that post-op people are talking about wanting to eat less, wanting to exercise, and enjoying weighing (a lot) less without struggling to stay on the weight-loss program marathon. How does this happen? I mean, I get that your stomach is smaller--but the rest of this sounds like a total paradigm shift that comes with the surgery. Do many of you feel that the surgery changed (or will change) your mental outlook? Do you think that the surgery somehow changed (or will change) your emotional connection to food?

Second, and this is the really crazy question, I am reading about how much is required here--protein shakes, liquid diets, exercise, like, every day, counting Protein and carbs, plus all the pain and suffering of surgery. So why do the surgery at all? Were any of you tempted to think that, if you just did everything else on the list, and cut out the surgery, you would eventually get the same results?

Also, while I am on a roll here, I read "everyone loses at their own pace." Mostly, I have been gaining at my own pace for years. I really do not want to do this surgery if I think it will only get me in sight of the finish line. Like, I want to be a lean, strong girl. One time in my life, I would like the chance to be the girl I dream I could be. I am totally willing to work toward that.

I am sorry if I have asked the wrong questions here. I am just partly scared and a lot hopeful and scared to be hopeful. Thanks everyone! DeterminedGirl

I'm pre-op (at least for 35 more hours). From what I gather is that this process changes you both physically and emotionally in all aspects related to food.

I too am tired of being the thin girl trapped inside of the heavy girl. I want sooo much more for myself and quite frankly think I deserve it. If I could have done it on my own I would be thinner and healthy by now but I can't...I need help.

Take your time to research EVERYTHING...that way you can make an informed decision. Not everyone's pre-op diet is the same...some have 2 weeks while I have 24hrs clear liquid pre surgery. Make sure you research your surgeon, go to support groups to talk to others and their experiences and of course use this site for information. This is a great place for info and a wonderful group of supportive people.

Best of luck to you on your journey!!

Yes I've thought if only I could continue to eat and exercise I could lose this weight. But life throws curve balls and I love food and the social part that goes with eating food and for over 20 years I've not been able to stay on track other than to continue to gain and grow larger! This surgery is a tool to remind you physically you cannot eat with your eyes anymore.

Hi Everyone,

I am still exploring the sleeve as a bariatric option for me. Please forgive me for asking a couple of crazy questions here. First, when I read this site, it i s just unbelievable to me that post-op people are talking about wanting to eat less, wanting to exercise, and enjoying weighing (a lot) less without struggling to stay on the weight-loss program marathon. How does this happen? I mean, I get that your stomach is smaller--but the rest of this sounds like a total paradigm shift that comes with the surgery. Do many of you feel that the surgery changed (or will change) your mental outlook? Do you think that the surgery somehow changed (or will change) your emotional connection to food?

Second, and this is the really crazy question, I am reading about how much is required here--Protein shakes, liquid diets, exercise, like, every day, counting Protein and carbs, plus all the pain and suffering of surgery. So why do the surgery at all? Were any of you tempted to think that, if you just did everything else on the list, and cut out the surgery, you would eventually get the same results?

Also, while I am on a roll here, I read "everyone loses at their own pace." Mostly, I have been gaining at my own pace for years. I really do not want to do this surgery if I think it will only get me in sight of the finish line. Like, I want to be a lean, strong girl. One time in my life, I would like the chance to be the girl I dream I could be. I am totally willing to work toward that.

I am sorry if I have asked the wrong questions here. I am just partly scared and a lot hopeful and scared to be hopeful. Thanks everyone! DeterminedGirl

For me, surgery was kind of like restarting my computer ( or body.). I wanted to be active and do things like hike and kayak with my friends, etc. I was the queen of losing 50 to 75 lbs, stalling, and then gaining it back. Usually more. I just couldnt do it anymore. After surgery, once you've adjusted to " breaking up with food, " seeing the results is a great motivator to even better. I often think of that quote, "what could you accomplish if you knew you could not fail?". Failing is hard to do for most people after WLS. My outlook on food has def. changed. I eat b/c I need to, not b/c I want to. I don't exercise like I should. I know this is wrong, but I had some major neurological issues surface after my sleeve. Non-related to the sleeve. I've had 4 surgeries since my sleeve in March 11. That's a lot of hospital time and a lot of post op recovery time. But on days when I can/feel good, I move as much as possible! I've still lost a lot of weight tho. I feel like I'm rambling now. Sorry! Lol

Your questions are totally not crazy at all.

The mental thing happens for some people and not for others. Being mentally prepared is THE most important part of making the decision for surgery. During my pre-op liquid diet I worked hard on mentally preparing myself. And some switch in my head clicked and it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. And after surgery, well... you can't eat as much, especially at first. There is "buyer's remorse" in the beginning, which I'm just now starting to work through myself. The mental part is a process I think that happens as you make the decision to do the surgery. Once you start losing weight after, and seeing these amazing results from your work it motivates you like nothing else to make the right choices. But, thats not everyone. Some people still struggle mentally and grieve the food they can't have for a while, or possible ever again.

I admit, during my pre-op liquid diet, I almost changed my mind. Not out of fear, but because I was being successful and wondered if I could do it without surgery. Then I reminded myself, that I had tried, and tried, and tired some more and always lost and gained and gained. There was a reason I looked at sleeve surgery to begin with!

With the sleeve, you will lose about 50-60% of your excess weight without doing much but, your new eating plan. If you work for it, within a year you can see yourself losing 80 - 100% of your excess weight. I'm just now at week 3 post op. And I personally, have had excellent results so far, however it hasn't been easy. The first week or so is really, really hard. But, when you read on this forum that each day gets easier, thats the honest truth. Each day does get easier.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for, and can make an informed, dedicated decision. Remember to take all the time in the world, ask all the silly questions you can think of, and lurk on this forum a lot. ^_^

From a psychological perspective, the reason it appears to have an effect on how you view food is because it's essential behavioural therapy. Humans generally don't do things that don't feel good. So if that feel good feeling from overeating or eating highly fatty or sugary foods is taken away (due to the reduction of stomach size and ability to tolerate calorie-laden foods), then the behaviour will extinguish over time. Well that is my hypothesis anyway :) And I am sure that many of us (well, for me at least) have tried everything in the past but it hasn't worked in the long term. If you feel there is ANY chance you can do this without the surgery I encourage you to follow that up. For me, I don't feel that I can do it without the surgery. I have my first appointments next week and should have surgery in September (it works a bit differently here in Australia for approvals etc) and I can't be more excited. I wish you all the very best of luck and am keeping my fingers crossed for you that you will be able to kick this without needing surgery - but if you do decide to go for surgery and have questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!!

Cheers, Lila

before i decided to continue with the Surgery I had in Nov 2011, I cut out everything and add Protein Shakes to my diet 2 months prior. I ate all different kinds of fish and vegs and plenty of Water. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months. Please try something like this. This surgery is a real mental game, this will tell you if you are ready for change at all. I would say if you cant do it for at least 2 months before surgery that you shouldnt do the surgery.

Everything went well for me with my surgery, no complications and very little pain. Please research and ask questions before you decide.

Thanks, all of you, for your responses. I really am so touched by your compassion. Many of you describe that "switch" that clicks in your head with this surgery--and then it's different with food. Thanks, too, for helping me grasp the idea that somehow your body--since you cannot stuff it anymore--reprograms, reboots, restarts. I want that!!!! I cannot imagine a single day without waking up thinking about what thing I am getting at Starbucks--and it is not, like, the oatmeal and a bottle of water!!! (And that's just Breakfast....)

I have my first appointment with a possible surgeon (Dr. Paul Macik here in Atlanta) on August 14. That was his first available date. Until then, I promise to read everything I can, ask more questions, and learn everything I can from all of you on this site! Thanks again, DeterminedGirl

No one said this ago I thought I would. Statistically only 3% of obese patients will maintain weight loss. Sure we can lose the weight , but maintain it? Only 3 of every 100 will.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can lose the weight on my own. I know that I can start on a very low calorie diet and become a gym rat and eventually lose the weight. How do I know? Because I have done it many times.

However, I also know, without doubt, that I will also eventually gain each and every pound back and they are likely to bring their nasty little friends. How do I know this? Because I have done it many times.

I know the same behaviors and eating patterns will result in weight loss with or without the sleeve. What I am looking for is something permanent that I can keep with me that will help me keep weight off. I do not feel like I have failed but rather like I have taken control.

No one said this ago I thought I would. Statistically only 3% of obese patients will maintain weight loss. Sure we can lose the weight , but maintain it? Only 3 of every 100 will.

Please link a relevant study. I've never heard this statistic related to WLS before - I've heard similar, though considerably higher statistics for loss without surgery. In every reference I've seen, the 2, 5, and 6 year outcomes are still between 65-80% excess weight lost.

~Cheri

I attached an interesting article I found about adjusting to Bariatric surgery. Thought you would find it interesting.

Counseling Bariatric Surgery Patients.pdf

Do many of you feel that the surgery changed (or will change) your mental outlook? Do you think that the surgery somehow changed (or will change) your emotional connection to food?

Second...Were any of you tempted to think that, if you just did everything else on the list, and cut out the surgery, you would eventually get the same results?

I want to be a lean, strong girl.

The sleeve is not a magic button for most people. Even those of us that are very well adjusted six months to a year post op didn't just magically wake up loving exercise and hating ice cream.

That said, losing your hunger (not guaranteed but likely) does make examining and changing your relationship with food much easier. It quiets the monkey on your back long enough for you to shake him off, basically.

I do not exercise. My magic "loves exercise" button never got tripped after surgery, unfortunately. I'm far more active than preop, regularly spending 8-10 hour days in my kitchen baking and cooking, or a day outdoors with my four year old twins. But I do not jump on treadmills or do push ups, even if I should. I hate it.

Nothing in life is free. Counting your dietary intake is something EVERY person with a weight concern should do. It's when we're lazy and don't do it that we discover that we somehow gained twelve pounds over the Christmas holidays. It's a good habit that surgery sort of forces us to do. Not everyone does it, but it's useful. liquid diets for a short time are part of the game - your sleeve has to heal! And I, for one, love my daily Protein Shake. It boosts my Protein intake without forcing me to eat first thing in the morning. Think of the trade off for a second. These are very small demands in exchange for a lifetime at your goal weight. I don't know about you, but I would have chopped off a leg at my largest if it guaranteed the rest of me would be skinny! Logging food and drinking shakes is an easy exchange in my book!

I tried every diet you can name between the ages of sixteen and twenty nine. I never lost more than thirty pounds, no matter how restrictive or crazy the diet was, and every time I finally gave up (because it was truly agony to adhere to those diets) I had rebound weight and was bigger than I started.

If weight loss was one size fits all, and a 1,200 calorie diet and some exercise would make us all fit and skinny, not one person would need the surgery, and the world would be empty of obese people. Because we'd all lose weight the first time we tried Weight Watchers if that were the case! I needed the surgery. I require less calories than the norm to lose, and adhering to that low calorie diet wasn't going to happen without surgery. As it was, it still took me SEVENTEEN months to achieve my goal. Could I have stuck to any diet that long if I were hanging in by willpower alone? No way in hell. I'd still be fat if I hadn't had surgery.

If you want to be lean and strong you have to change. The sleeve can make that possible, but it won't make you that person by itself. Get me? Check out BlackBerryJuice. She's AWESOME and a serious athlete these days. She changed her body and her mind and loves being physical. These boards are full of people that love to run, love to work out and totally transferred their food addiction to exercise addiction once they were sleeved. If you want to be like them, you have to work at it.

Me? I just wanted to be skinnier. I am. I'm completely happy with my lifestyle and I met all of my own personal goals. It's up to you. Our bodies don't make us fat; our brains make us fat. Overcoming the emotional aspects of our relationship to food is the hardest part, in my opinion. Looking at the sleeve as another diet is the wrong perspective. It's a lifelong tool that can help you change your body and your mind. If you don't do the head work you'll get to goal and flounder and struggle. If you do it, you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

Best of luck. You asked some really great questions.

~Cheri

Hi Everyone,

Second, and this is the really crazy question, I am reading about how much is required here--protein shakes, liquid diets, exercise, like, every day, counting Protein and carbs, plus all the pain and suffering of surgery. So why do the surgery at all? Were any of you tempted to think that, if you just did everything else on the list, and cut out the surgery, you would eventually get the same results?

If I tried to live on 800 calories a day and give up all my favorite foods AND start exercising withOUT the aid of this surgery??? I'd have killed 10 people by the end of the first day!!!! Been there done that.....but without the carnage. It didn't go well. I've gained and lost a thousand pounds only to end up at 349.

I did not read everyone's responses thoroughly, so I don't know if this was mentioned: The hunger hormone Grehlin that is produced in the stomach is mostly taken away with the large percentage of stomach that is removed. This is one of the biggest success factors of the surgery (as it was explained by my surgeon). This has given me a self control I never knew could exist.

And last year I couldn't/didn't want to....walk to the mailbox and back, because I was afraid it would be too torturous. Now I spend an hour a day on an elliptical and I look FORward to it!!! YES!!!

It's true, I DO get REEEAAALLLYYYY hungry sometimes- oh yes I do. BUT....about 4 oz into eating something (which you have to choose carefully and rationally)...I'm full! Crises over. Go on with life. I just LOVE IT!!

Ask what you need to. There's always someone with an answer or 12.

Cheri, I think she meant without surgery as an eye opener for the OP. I have heard something like 5% of overweight people who lose it on there own will be able to maintain that loss.

Please link a relevant study. I've never heard this statistic related to WLS before - I've heard similar, though considerably higher statistics for loss without surgery. In every reference I've seen, the 2, 5, and 6 year outcomes are still between 65-80% excess weight lost.

~Cheri