Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery thursday so I'm on clear liquids...weight load is fine but feeling comfortable with my new stomach isn't. I don't know what's my full feeling...and it sucks because being diabetic one of the symptoms is being thirsty alot...i feel like sips is torture to me...i feel like I'm always thirsty...but obviously my new stomach holds about 4oz...how long does your stomach stay full on liquids? And if its completely empty can you take bigger sips back to back seeing as how the reason we sip is because our limited amount of space? But if I'm empty and I take a bottle and fill up 4oz of like crystal light them can Idrink how I want sering as how its pre measured and I'm empty?...kinda dumb questions maybe...just kinda confused

Set a timer and take a small sip every 15 minutes you are awake. That full feeling doesn't come right away, your body is learning and does not yet realize 80+% of your stomach is gone. Hormones are still in you from pre surgery.

Have you tried sipping tepid Decaf tea? Really helped me.

Keep with it, things do get better.

I think is way too early for that full feeling it takes a while. While on liquids it's normal to feel hungry a lot. It gets better as right now you're starting to get to know your body it's great but takes patience.

As for the sipping... I forgot about sipping soon after and took 2 big gulps of Water and regretted it, as I could feel the gas bubble going down and it took ages to burp it out and it hurt!!! I think we have to sip, so we don't swallow too much air!

I was going to say about the gas too. The main reason we have to sip is so we don't inhale gas too. It will hurt your tummy! Also that is why no straws, because you will be swallowing air as well as liquid, which creates gas in your tummy & pain.

I am at the same point as you though, just had surgery last thursday & not really knowing when I am full. But I am grazing & just taking sips pretty much constantly, rather than having 'meals' of liquids right now. I am trying to get closer to 64oz of liquids in, but it is hard!

I had surgery on Friday, so 5 days post op. Today I feel as though I'm starving. Very confused, I haven't felt hungry once. And today I need some food..... What to do???

I'm 9 days post op and I'm not sure what my full feeling or hungry feeling is either. I've just been doing trial an error. I know when my stomach hurts while I'm eating, I stop. If it hurts while I'm not eating, I try to eat a little something or drink something. This is definitely a work in progress.

Mela, What are you eating at this stage? I thought we were not suppose to feel hungry? I'm worried.....

I was starving when I was on clears. Full liquids especially milk mixed with Protein Powder was better but never got that 'full' feeling until the purée stage last week. The first day or 2 was uncomfortable but I was making my purée too thick. Make sure you thin the purée out with broth or Water or creamy Soup cuz it's uncomfortable!! Gas bubbles still hurt at this stage too. Drink slowly & eat even slower!! Good luck to all. : )

I can assure you I felt hungry when I was on the liquid diet after surgery. Those hormones ARE definitely still acting up at first. IT got much better when I could at least eat mushies like mashed sweet potatoes or something. That liquid diet is the worst part of the whole thing. Now that I can eat dense Protein with no problems I get full extremely fast. Just give yourself a little time and you will feel the restriction.

As far as liquids, I can understand ya on that! I am diabetic too and I just had to constantly sip sip sip. No giant gulps.

I'm eating soft mushy foods. I'm able to tolerate boiled eggs and cream of wheat. I've had mashed potatoes and even tuna (seriously just tuna). I'm also having Protein Shakes. Like I said my stomach makes a noise and I feel like it wants something. I'm only able to take a few bites. Today I wanted a banana so bad but I knew I couldn't finish it and no one else in my household like them enough to share. Hope this helps. Oh and Jello and sugar free popsicles are my best friend when I'm craving sweets.

All the wierd noises that the stomach makes...and they are loud is the digestion process...

I have been at this for a month now and i remember being so paranoid in the begining about eating or drinking the right amount or how I was supposed to feel. Every one always said you will know it just takes time to learn your body over again. I felt alot of pressure every time i even took the littlest sip...it will get eaiser to drink the Water. I used to hold a small water bottle up to my lilps and just take a little bit in ever minute or so while i was just sitting around watching tv or something. By the 2nd and then 3rd weeks it gets soooo much easier to get more in. I was freaking out at first becuase i felt like for the rest of my life i have to drink like a cat... you have got be kidding me. However I was wrong and i can take in alot more water..it goes down so much easier... you wil get there it just takes time but not too much time. I have started my soft food diet this week and I feel almost like I did when i started the liquids...its trial and error for each stage so until you get on regualr food it is try it and hope it goes down nice. good luck every one,

Sandra,

I'm only nine days out and my Water intake has been so much easier. Your tummy is still swollen (I'm sure mine is too) and it makes it hard to put anything in there. Every day it gets easier. I'm still sipping, but I get an larger sip in there occasionally without a problem. Water does not stay in my belly for long, just a couple minutes. Don't worry it will get better!