Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

Hi Cathy!

So sorry your insurance won't cover this.....but good for you for just paying it; I did, and believe me, after reading so many posts about all the red tape and frustration with the insurance, I was happy to pay!

Where are you going for your surgery if I may ask? I had mine done at Krankenhaus Sachsenhausen in Frankfurt and was very happy with the care I recieved.

www.queenofcrop.com

A Year in Life of WLS 

Hi sandy, welcome. Like you I read all the forums and I only post now and then. I too am impatient and want things now if I have decided on it. My surgery is 3 April, I live in the UK but I am hvaing my surgery in Europe as a self pay. Unfortunatly my BMI (44) was not high enough to be considered for free surgery on the NHS so I decided enough was enough and I would pay. I will be 53 when the surgery takes place. Cathy

Hi Cathy!

So sorry your insurance won't cover this.....but good for you for just paying it; I did, and believe me, after reading so many posts about all the red tape and frustration with the insurance, I was happy to pay!

Where are you going for your surgery if I may ask? I had mine done at Krankenhaus Sachsenhausen in Frankfurt and was very happy with the care I recieved.

www.queenofcrop.com

A Year in Life of WLS 

I am going to Brno in Czech Rep. NHS is not an insurance company but the national health service that we have here in the UK. Treament is free (we do pay large taxes) but there are some restrictions on certain op and unfortunatly in my part of the country you must have a BMI of 50 or more or have some health issues before they will consider you for WLS, rather than put on more weight (still no guarantee of surgery) I decided to go self pay. I am going abroad not just because of the cost but also for surgeon experience. The sleeve is a relativly new surgery in the UK -mainly band or bypass but sleeve surgery is increasing.

Cathy

Thanks for the update.....I think I asked you this once before, or someone else is having it done there too! Anyway, good for you and keep us posted!

www.queenofcrop.com

I am going to Brno in Czech Rep. NHS is not an insurance company but the national health service that we have here in the UK. Treament is free (we do pay large taxes) but there are some restrictions on certain op and unfortunatly in my part of the country you must have a BMI of 50 or more or have some health issues before they will consider you for WLS, rather than put on more weight (still no guarantee of surgery) I decided to go self pay. I am going abroad not just because of the cost but also for surgeon experience. The sleeve is a relativly new surgery in the UK -mainly band or bypass but sleeve surgery is increasing.

Cathy

55 and 2 lbs from my goal weight. Just finished my second triathlon and I've completed 2 half marathons. Have some wrinkles but I own each and every one of them. Nobody is taking them away from me. Rock your sleeve!

I am 52 and excited for my future. I had my sleeve done on March 14th by Dr. Tug Miller in St. George Utah. I spent 2 nights in hospital because of nausea. Have been home for 4 days now and doing really well. I took my first walk post-op today around the block and got really tired but felt okay. I have not had much problem with foods yet, but now I am to the introduction of mushy foods, so we will see. I weighed 245 at the start of the 2 week liquid diet and 237 lbs the day of surgery. Don't know where I am right now, waiting for dr appt to weigh. I am very excited and pleased that I took this step for me. Absolutely no regrets!

Good luck!!!! keep the postings coming for those of us still waiting for multiple reasons....mine is insurance approval... Take care, Sandy

Turned 50 earlier this month. Surgery is in less than 48 hours (3/22). I'm doing a band revision, all in one surgery. I love reading through these posts - they're so encouraging.

My skinny Dentist called me "String Bean" yesterday! Hilarious! I'm far from a string bean at 172 pounds, but I guess the contrast from where I came from and now makes me look like a string bean. I loved hearing it!

WTG MassIndex. Looks like you only have 1 lb to go now! I followed a little of what you were doing on the exercise thread.

I will be traveling 170 miles each way to go to my Dr. Being from a small rural town in Texas, it comes with the territory that you will drive a long distance to go anywhere, lol.

I look forward to some of the successes you are all reporting.

It is never too late to be healthier! I am 57 years old and had VSG surgery on 6/1/11. Nearly 9 months later and I have

lost 118 pounds. More importantly, my blood sugar is normal, my cholesterol is 188, my ratio of HDL to LDL puts me at

the lowest risk for heart attack and my back, knees, ankles and feet don't hurt and don't swell. I walk fast everywhere,

I bound up and down steps and I feel terrific. VSG and the weight loss it facilitated shave at least 10 years off my age.

I look younger and feel younger. I sleep better. I eat better. The foods I used to crave constantly no longer appeal to me.

I quit drinking soda two weeks before surgery...and I haven't gone back. I don't even like soda now and I've tasted it.

Now, I eat a little bit (2-3 ounces) mostly Protein every 4 to 5 hours -- if I feel hungry. There are always left overs. I still prefer

Soup to many solid foods. If I eat too fast or take bites like I did before surgery I can feel full pretty quickly. There isn't anything

I can't eat. I just eat a very small amount and I'm satisfied. I was a quantity eater -- I was a compulsive eater -- I never stopped

eating until the food was gone. I could eat a dinner out and come home to eat another dinner. When my surgeon told me VSG

would make me feel less hungry my response was "who eats from hunger?" I ate because I was happy, or sad or it was rainy or

it was sunny -- hunger had nothing to do with my eating. Now, my sense of fullness is impossible to ignore. I don't get sick but

I know when to stop and I know I can eat again in a few hours IF I WANT TO. I don't feel deprived one bit. I still enjoy good food

but in much smaller amounts. When dining out I eat appetizer portions. Some things I can eat full portions (there are still leftovers)

like sashimi or mussels. They don't take up as much space in my new banana shaped stomach. I don't eat many starchy carbs --

not because I am an anti-carb zealot -- but because they fill me up too quickly and I prefer filling up with protein.

I am a criminal defense attorney -- actually I am the Public Defender here in NYC. Today, I wound up representing a former client

from 2007. I told his mother that I was half the size I was back in 2007. She greeted me in court and said "You said you were half

the size you were in 2007, I disagree, you are a quarter of the size you were back then." The truth is -- sometimes I don't recognize

myself. My whole face has changed along with my body. It does take some getting used too -- but looking better is just "gravy" --

I did this so I could move without hurting, not feel breathless all the time, and not worry I would die prematurely.

I am rocking my sleeve & I am pushing 60 years old!

@ Kwikwits.....great upbeat post!!!! Loved reading it. We are similar....I am 58, down 65 lbs from since Oct 25. I am so grateful every day for this chance at a normal life with food at almost 60. Like you, I know it has added not just years to my life, but quality years.....am about to move to Amstserdam; city of bikes and stairs....so good thing I'm in shape now for that! But I will be in Hawaii until late summer, and happy to be wearing sleeveless tops and shorts again!

I know your post is an inspiration to many....

Queen of Crop

www.queenofcrop.com

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A SLEEVER; UPDATED EVERY SUNDAY

@kwikwits - your posts brought tears to my eyes...you touched my soul...thank you for posting!

March 8th all my paperwork was faxed to the insurance company for the negotiations to begin on a contract for the sleeve. There is a contract for the bypass but that is not the direction i wanted to take... I was beginning to get frustrated that it is taking so long...

I am 58 and in a wheelchair because of back pain due to my heavy belly pulling against it. I had 2 back surgeries when i was in my 30's due to an accident ... So my back is not very strong...

My goal, is to walk! Pure and simple, i want to walk again. I started using the wheelchair about 1 year ago..i want out! i want to stand tall and go for a walk with my husband...of course i want my other issues to be resolved too, but walking is my top priority... Someday any/all of my 7 grandchildren will get married and i want to walk down the center aisle to be seated...not pushed in a wheelchair.

Your posting has given me the encouragement to stay focused... Stay positive ...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Sandy

Hi - I'm Sue, I am 52 and I had my sleeve done on 10/13/11. I have lost a total of 84 pounds since about July when I got serious about losing some pre-op. I feel I'm losing slowly, but my surgeon's PA was very happy at my four month check and I go back in April for my six month check. I did this for myself, but also for our son who was injured in Iraq almost two years ago - he lived with us for over a year and I was having a very hard time w/helping w/his health care. The kids asked me if I would consider WLS so last March I started the required six month supervised diet, all the appointments, and our insurance required my BMI be 50 or above... unfortunately I was in that category. I still have almost 100 pounds to lose, but I am feeling so much better - our son and his fiance moved out of state in January and I visited them in February for almost two weeks and was able to do sight-seeing and shopping w/our son's finance almost every day! It feels great to be able to do so much even after losing 1/2 of what I need to. I am so glad I did this :)

I am 55 and I have posted before, but have just had a disappointing meeting with my ( non bariatric) NUT. She said she didnt think I was ready for WLS because it was already our 4th appointment and I hadn't really seemed serious about losing weight. I have not been filling out my charts very well and have done little to change my awful habit of eating a big meal at night and cutting down on sugar and fat. I AM having trouble and I have an appt with the bariatric NUT and the surgeon April 12.

I am kind of bummed about the "non recommendation" of the NUT and the fact that she is recommending GBP instead of sleeve because of my age! I think it also has to do with the fact that I am in a rural area and they don't seem to have much experience with the sleeve.

<sigh> just bemoaning the fact that I can't seem to get it together. This forum helps give me hope, though.

Best of luck to all you gals! It is a transformational experience. I get to see my demons close up, I get to experience quick change, I get to be seen in a different way, to do a positive make over. Get into fighting weight so I can go have more adventures and be up for it physically and mentally. Getting geared up to meet some goals. To set some goals that reflect my higher self. To practice some grace and loving kindness. This weight loss thing has been something I have felt a failure at....so now I just might be able to say I am not a failure at this any more....and set that down too. More power to you all for going this way and having these new opportunities opening up in your life.