Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

Where are you planning on having your surgery done? I went alone to mexico. I met a llot of wonderful people. I never felt alone.

Lorip I am having it done in NJ where I live. My insurance approved it, which frankly shocked me. I figured they would deny me.

Lorip I am having it done in NJ where I live. My insurance approved it, which frankly shocked me. I figured they would deny me.

I am having mine next week same worried about nutrition etc, Vitamins which at our age we should be taking anyway right ;) as for nausea yep I hear ya there, I will hold it back if I have to but I found this patch u put behind your ear and it stops the nausea, I do truly believe if u have nausea longer then a few days after surgery then prob eating to fast or drinking, my friend went last month she was sick for a it after surgery few hrs was fine. Read more on it we r all nervous, excited but it is a huge tool to help us out. I am going for the plicating sleeve, because I am more comfortable with that,

Have read so much in hear and feel better with my decision

gl. U will do great

You know, you are gonna fall out at this! I have never understood the "weeks" off. Was sleeved on a Wed. Went back to work half days the next Wed and then full time. Now, was I tired and dizzy some? YES! But no PHYSICAL issues to deal With other than losing losing Losing very quickly. I did pass out one morning and knock myself out and split my lip open! Okay, now don't get upset. It was cause my BP mess were immediately too strong and once off them I was some better. Byes, I was extremely weak and tired for several weeks if not months; but I WAS TIRED ALL THE TIME BEFORE VSG! Lol

@Dyezee: So sorry you are feeling like you needed to cancel; it's understandable to have fear, but as many have said, this is something you are doing so you become healthier....the alternative is to stay heavy and risk so much more with the risk factors associated with obesity.

Everyone has to go their own path, but when I read the stories just on this forum, they are generally positive in every regard; people are happy to have control over their lives again and feel like they have been given a second chance. If your surgeon has a good record, then I would suggest finding options to help you with the fear; just as someone would who had a fear of flying, or fear of the dentist, etc.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

www.queenofcrop.com

For those of you in your 50's who want to know what it's like right before, during and after surgery, please read my blog.....www.queenofcrop.com I detailed it all there one week at a time (so go to the beginning as I post each Sunday). It talks about nausea and the slimes (if you don't know what they are, it explains it). But basically, I had NO nausea, just the slimes which are nothing to get upset about. But hopefully you can be encouraged by another 50 something (I just turned 58 a few days prior to surgery). You've heard it before, but it's THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF AND I AM CONVINCED, I WOULD NEVER HAVE LOST IT ANY OTHER WAY.

My blog is at www.queenofcrop.com

(BTW, the only reason I list this so often here is because I made my decision to do this based on another woman's blog that I was reading and I am thankful to her every day.)

Wow, lots of great stories and ideas here - and hope.

! I have a consult with the surgeon in April, and two nutritionist appts until then ( I've had 3- know what to do, but am not doing it). I feel so physically awful (and I am a reasonably healthy 55 year old), so I am ready for this- I want to be able to do the things I used to do - hike, train with my dog, not feel ashamed because I might break a chair, and work on myself!

Queen of Crop,I'm looking forward to reading your blog.

Dyezee,There is not one single day that I have regretted having my surgery and that includes day one post op. I have had problems with heart burn, N/V. But as time goes by it gets a little better. The nausea is different for me and even when I vomit the sensation is different. I don't feel any stomach spasms. Medications help the heartburn. And most of the N/V is my own fault. I ate to fast, I ate too much, I had something I should not have. I am almost 5 months post op and am down 65 lbs. Current wt is 268 and I still have a long way to go but The sleeve is working for me. I can not eat over 1/2-3/4 cup in one sitting. My brain is still struggling with this but it has 54 years of bad habits to erase. Everyrone is different, My only regret, Why did I not do this sooner.

My 21 year old daughter had VSG 5 days after me. She had to stay in the hospital 5 days because she was vomiting and needed an IV to stay hydrated. She had no pain with her N/V. As soon as that passed and she came home and has just soared. I am so proud of her. She has lost almost 80 lbs. and still has 100 to go. When I have asked her if there are any regrets or something she would change She said. Mom I never thought I could be thin, but now I know it is possible and I know "I" will be.

Dyezee,There is not one single day that I have regretted having my surgery and that includes day one post op. I have had problems with heart burn, N/V. But as time goes by it gets a little better. The nausea is different for me and even when I vomit the sensation is different. I don't feel any stomach spasms. Medications help the heartburn. And most of the N/V is my own fault. I ate to fast, I ate too much, I had something I should not have. I am almost 5 months post op and am down 65 lbs. Current wt is 268 and I still have a long way to go but The sleeve is working for me. I can not eat over 1/2-3/4 cup in one sitting. My brain is still struggling with this but it has 54 years of bad habits to erase. Everyrone is different, My only regret, Why did I not do this sooner.

My 21 year old daughter had VSG 5 days after me. She had to stay in the hospital 5 days because she was vomiting and needed an IV to stay hydrated. She had no pain with her N/V. As soon as that passed and she came home and has just soared. I am so proud of her. She has lost almost 80 lbs. and still has 100 to go. When I have asked her if there are any regrets or something she would change She said. Mom I never thought I could be thin, but now I know it is possible and I know "I" will be.

Congratulations to both you and your daughter! Sorry to be so stupid (I've been reading here since Sept and am 4 months post op) but I don't know what N/V is?

www.queenofcrop.com

Wow, lots of great stories and ideas here - and hope.

! I have a consult with the surgeon in April, and two nutritionist appts until then ( I've had 3- know what to do, but am not doing it). I feel so physically awful (and I am a reasonably healthy 55 year old), so I am ready for this- I want to be able to do the things I used to do - hike, train with my dog, not feel ashamed because I might break a chair, and work on myself!

Queen of Crop,I'm looking forward to reading your blog.

Thanks! If you send me your email address or sign up on the blog, I will send a reminder to you each Sunday after I post; or just check back each week. I look forward to following your journey too! So sorry you have to jump through so many hoops to get to this done.....but soon it will be all behind you.

www.queenofcrop.com