Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

I am 55 and I have posted before, but have just had a disappointing meeting with my ( non bariatric) NUT. She said she didnt think I was ready for WLS because it was already our 4th appointment and I hadn't really seemed serious about losing weight. I have not been filling out my charts very well and have done little to change my awful habit of eating a big meal at night and cutting down on sugar and fat. I AM having trouble and I have an appt with the bariatric NUT and the surgeon April 12.

I am kind of bummed about the "non recommendation" of the NUT and the fact that she is recommending GBP instead of sleeve because of my age! I think it also has to do with the fact that I am in a rural area and they don't seem to have much experience with the sleeve.

&--#60;sigh&--#62; just bemoaning the fact that I can't seem to get it together. This forum helps give me hope, though.

Do you have access to a counselor? S/He might be able to help you figure out why your are having such trouble doing what the Nut wants. Dig it out girl! You can do it! Come here for support. It can be really hard for many reasons. Don't give up.

Yes- I actually have been in and out of talk therapy for decades. Quit about 9 months ago but have appointment on Tuesday to start going again. Thanks for responding!

Kwikwits - what an inspiration! You go girl!!

Well I decided to go ahead with the surgery on 3/21. It's five days out and I have not lost any weight. I actually gained 12 pounds of Water weight because of the IV. Experiencing a lot of gas and pain internally and the incisions still hurt. Been drinking super Protein shots Water and chicken broth. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using VST

Well I decided to go ahead with the surgery on 3/21. It's five days out and I have not lost any weight. I actually gained 12 pounds of water weight because of the IV. Experiencing a lot of gas and pain internally and the incisions still hurt. Been drinking super Protein Shots water and chicken broth. Any suggestions?

Well I decided to go ahead with the surgery on 3/21. It's five days out and I have not lost any weight. I actually gained 12 pounds of Water weight because of the IV. Experiencing a lot of gas and pain internally and the incisions still hurt. Been drinking super Protein shots Water and chicken broth. Any suggestions?

Well I decided to go ahead with the surgery on 3/21. It's five days out and I have not lost any weight. I actually gained 12 pounds of water weight because of the IV. Experiencing a lot of gas and pain internally and the incisions still hurt. Been drinking super Protein Shots water and chicken broth. Any suggestions?

i gained also with the IV 10 lbs but within 6 days i was back to normal and additional 16 lbs off, so 26 lost since surgery, try a heating pad, that helps with the gas. also walk walk even just for 5 mins, that helps also, i paced around my island in the kitchen about 15-20 times, try drinking green tea, water, your shakes, broth still has salt in it, so slow down with that 2 oz, the most, also try gatorade recover that has Protein in it, gl

You're only one day ahead of me, and my incisions are still VERY sore. Can't sleep except on my back, on the recliner, and even then for only 1-2 hours at a time. As for the gas, I would suggest walking as much as you can. The gas could very well be a byproduct from the surgery and just hasn't bee absorbed. As your doctor about something for the gas if the walking doesn't help. Also, you might ask about extra strength tylenol or something else over the counter. I do know that with each and every day I feel better than the day before.

I'm 51 and just had my consult. I saw in earlier post threads about menopause and the sleeve. I haven't even begun peri menopause and am curious how this will effect my hormones.

Hi Dyezee......so sorry you're having a rough start out of the gate. This part is no fun for anyone and when I look back on my first 4-8 weeks it seems like a weird blur of a time. I felt weak and old and frail and fragile and all I wanted to do was sleep. But it is true, that for the most part, each day gets better and easier....

As for the weight; it's a simple math problem with a simple solution. The weight will start to come off and like nothing you have ever experienced. You are body is going through a post op trauma but it will correct itself and if you follow the instructions of your doctor; you will start to see results and you will be posting good progress just like the rest of us!

Just hang in there and keep us up to date on how you're doing. Good for you for going through this! We're proud of you and here to support you.

Queen of Crop

www.queenofcrop.com

A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A SLEEVER; UPDATED EVERY SUNDAY

Hi crop queen, thank you for your kind response. It has been 10 days and am feeling better. Your responses to me and others have been nurturing and much appreciated. The weight loss is coming along, down the initial Water weight gain and down another 12. Have felt sick a few times when I have drank to quickly, than have to remind myself to sip. This is definetly a life style change. Buy just wanted to say thank you.

Hi crop queen, thank you for your kind response. It has been 10 days and am feeling better. Your responses to me and others have been nurturing and much appreciated. The weight loss is coming along, down the initial Water weight gain and down another 12. Have felt sick a few times when I have drank to quickly, than have to remind myself to sip. This is definetly a life style change. Buy just wanted to say thank you.

Good morning Dyezee.....

So happy to hear you are feeling a little better.....as you're finding out, every day, you will learn a little more about how this new lifestyle works.....and at least for me (and I think many others out there) the rewards FAR outweigh the inconveniences and the first few months of getting your 'sea legs' when you find out what works and what doesn't. At 5 months I feel completely normal, but still learning every day. The sipping will last for another month or so and then one day, you'll just drink normally again.....

Please keep us updated and be sure to check back here for any questions.....this forum is a wealth of information and everyone is here to help!

I'll be updating my blog a little later today too.....

Appreciate you writing back......was happy to hear from you.

Thanks for this ?? I will be 56 in May. I am 6 mos out from my surgery, I have no wrinkles! I do have some loose skin on my arms but the Dr assured me with weight training that 2 will go away. I have lost 75 lbs so far. I am always getting compliments from the men I work with, while the women all just stare at me with NO COMMENTS.. I feel soo much better, I feel like a person again, instead of just a FAT BLOB... I smile more!! I enjoy gong places with my DH and am no longer ashamed of what i look like... I got all my blood work back last week and it was all fabulous! The sleeve rocks, and I talk about it so others are not afraid to do it... If I can help one person have a better life, I am happy to help them. As far as the other, go to your PCP and get a saliva test for your harmones, you can have a pharmicist make you a hormone creme to rub on your arm daily that will help you greatly and it will be formulated for YOU, not everyone in general........ It will also tell them how far into menapause you are. Best of luck to you and to everyone else... God Bless America!!!

Glad there is a group for the 50's B)

My surgery is 5/21 and on that date I will be less than a month away from being 57. I've battled my weight since I was mid to late 30's. I've been over 200 several times and I would struggle it down but never less than 180 and it quickly would return to my prior high weight and then make a new high. The last time I was 220 I started on an Atkins diet I promised myself to look into bariatric surgery if I EVER got up to 220 again. At only 5'2" that is over 40 bmi. I did lose 32 pounds doing low carb but as all the times before (with WW, Nutrisystem, etc) this last winter I was at an all time high and had to keep my promise to myself. I first start looking into surgery with lapband but I later changed to gastric sleeve.

I am just anxious to get started. I feel pretty realistic; I'm not even trying to hit my HS weight, but to get to a weight where I have more energy, feel like being active and can avoid some of the health issues that my mother, who had similar weigh battles, now has to deal with. Is it May yet?

Hi I am posting this from the hospital as I complete all the tests. Surgery tomorrow. I an not here (Czech Republic) with any family but with two fellow sleeves. We travelled from the uk yesterday and will return on Friday. I just want to get everything over with now, the waiting is worse than making the decision abut surgery

PS 53 birthday last Monday (26/3)

Hi I am posting this from the hospital as I complete all the tests. Surgery tomorrow. I an not here (Czech Republic) with any family but with two fellow sleeves. We travelled from the uk yesterday and will return on Friday. I just want to get everything over with now, the waiting is worse than making the decision abut surgery

PS 53 birthday last Monday (26/3)

Best of luck to you today! You are in my prayers! Let us know how you are doing!