Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

Hi Everyone, I am 55 and have another six weeks to go before I am sleeved. I am struggling to keep my weight down as I must to get my surgery. (I am having it on the NHS and they insist on you staying at the set 10% loss you had to achieve to get on the list, and not regaining before surgery) I have been struggling all my life with weight and been at my highest for the last twenty years. I think that may have a big effect on how my skin looks after weightloss!!! I can't wait to join all of you who have been sleeved, your stories keep me plugging away and with luck I shall soon be able to share my successes with you. Did any of you worry about the possibilities of dying? I don't want to bring anyone down or cause any worries but I have been writing letters to my family just in case. Is this crazy, I am pretty positive and feel I will come through surgery ok but just want to cover all bases. I couldn't bear it if the worst happened and I hadn't had a chance to tell them all how much they mean to me. Did anyone else do this? Or is it just me?

There's one thing I'm really, really looking forward to....taking a step and not having to wait for my butt to catch up and stop shakin'.

Hilarious!!!

Phoenix, I was afraid of dying. It's a statistical reality that some people die during any surgery. I didn't write letters, but the itching fear was in the back of my mind. The first thing I said post-op was "Good job! I'm still here!"

I also was afraid of complications. Lucky for me, I'm a very analytical person and I know that statistics for death or disease are higher for remaining obese than for undergoing surgery. That really helped me stay focused on the prize. I just kept reminding myself the alternative to surgery was worse for me.

Lynda

I am a newbie at 55, 56 in June (hey, Veggiesleever - we have the same birthday), and I am about 1/4 of the way through the process - two more nut sessions, endo (and wonderful colo at the same time- 2nd one). I know this sounds silly, but at this time the one thing I am frightened of is that they'll find something inside my body that means that I can't have the surgery - I have been abusing my body with food for so many years... There is nothing but my imagination that tells me this...

Soooo, I am looking forward to changing my life even more, even if the sx doesn't get approved, but it is nice to see that we in our 50s are still charging forward with our pursuit of the life we deserve!

You will be amazed how much better you will feel. I had my surgery in Sept. and I have lost over 60 pounds and doing things I have never done before. Just got back from a cruise. I swam with the stingrays in a bathing suit. I walked the Mayan ruins. There was a lot of hills and walking and I did it without havving to sit down every other second to catch my breathe. And that is just the beginning. I signed up for my first 5K which is in April. It is the best thing I ever did for myself.

So I'm 58, 4 months post op and many people are telling me that I look younger and better than I did 20 years ago! I think (but I'm not sure) that's a compliment! :unsure: I having good luck with no wrinkles and very little Hair loss of which I am SO thankful for!!! I have lost 61 lbs and I have about 25 to go; thing is, I feel good at this weight and I'm concerned that as I lose more I will have wrinkles. So who knows? I do a weekly (every Sunday) blog about my experiences as a 50 something....with lots of photos; especially because I have been traveling for a year! But all in all, NO COMPLAINTS.

My blog is at www.queenofcrop.com

This might be replying to an older answer but I am now 20 mos out and about a year out from reaching goal ( lost 100lbs). I turned 58 in January and found that the wrinkles increased quickly after losing all I needed to lose. My face has many but the thing I hate the most is my neck "waddle". Yuk! And my upper arms. I never really had big arms so didn't really think about them but with so much weight loss I now, as Oprah says, have "flags" that wave quite freely! Lol. I would love to have work done but no $$ for that right now. Also, I've have found it way too easy to eat junk that slides than stick to Protein and have regained about 15 lbs. trying to be on the "straight and narrow" now and up my exercise and cut carbs. It's MY choice if I don't This really is only a too, and ultimately, we will choose. I love my new look and sometimes really don't comprehend how much I accomplished so I don't want to sabotage myself.

Hi ladies I am 52 and was scheduled for surgery for 3/12, but cancelled it. I have a lot if fear about being nauseous after surgery. Very fearfull of malnutrition and feeling weak. Please any advice. Very conflicted. My stats are 5"8 and 242 down from 267. I have taken the pr-opp diet very seriously. Am open to all of your advise and need support, as several friends have said not to get it.

Dyezee, I had absolutely no complications and very very very little nausea after surgery. Only when drinking Water at first. Your fears are real and until u t see dont do it, but it was life changing for me and many, many more who will agre with me. Talk it out with your surgeon, support people.

Hi everyone, I am 51 and scheduled for VSG on 3/12/12. I am waiting to hear some answers that address Dyezee's concerns. I'm not too worried about short term nausea, but I've read some blogs by those who have remained nauseous for years. Any input greatly appreciated.

Also, forgot to mention-malnutrition is not an issue as with Bypass. No replumbing!! You just have to make sure you eat Protein first with tie small Amts and take your vitamins! You will do great! Also, I am VERY prone to nausea with a weak stomach. I did fine and still an 20 mos out. Best to you.

With any life changing event you have retrain yourself. I think people get nauseea is because they think they can eat like before surgery. You have to llearn the sign of being full. You will throw up if you eat to much. Certain food still make me sick. Especailly fried or greasy foods. The old saying slip slip chew chew and walk walk reaally works. Hope this helps.