Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

paulax - are you nuts?!? not working yet home with 3 kids, girl, you need to redefine working!!! lol!

i'm glad to hear all about the fills. it sounds like the july crew is losing those lbs. at my doc visit wed, the nutritionist reminded me that losing the wt. slowly helps on several points, we tend to keep it off, we have less loose skin, and it's healthier for us. she also told me that we can keep losing wt years down the road and those with bypass usu loose in the first year then stall or regain, sad huh?

karik - now that i'm on mushies my group recommends 4-6 small feedings (3 meals + snacks) but i agree with many of you, listen to your body and your intuition, eat when you are hungry and stop when you are satisfied. somedays i find i'm only eating 2-4 times and others Breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner and eve snack. if i'm busy i eat less so i should be excited to get back to school but i'm not really.

how was the chat last nite? i was in newport and missed it! when are we chatting again?

The chat last night was very nice - we got to know each other a little better and helped Baylor Mom get past her first day with her fill :( Hope you, and others, can join us next time.

I just got my first fill today from Dr. Fitzpatrick, and she is great.

Both my DH and I went together, and she talked with us for a long time about what we were experiencing and what to expect as we travel on this journey. :(

DH went first for his fill. He has a VG band which holds 10CC. She had DH drink some Water, "to remember what it feels like" then started filling him up. They talked out what he was feeling and when he felt the Water back up, she took some out and worked with it until he could feel the water go through the band. Then she had him drink some gulps of water and sit and drink water while it was my turn. He ended up with a fill of 4.6 cc.

Next it was my turn. She had me lay on the table and take a deep breath then push out my muscle so she could feel the port. She didn't numb me, but found the port in 1 poke (same with DH). Once the needle was in, she helped me sit up and then started the fill, mine was done exactly the same was as DH, except that I couldn't feel it go through the port as much as backing up in the back of my throat. I ended up with 1.6 cc in a 10 CM band which holds 4cc.

Since Dr. Fitzpatrick is leaving town on Sunday, she said she didn't want to be worried about us, so she gave us her cell phone number and asked us to call tomorrow, even if we feel great, just so she wouldn't wonder, isn't that great!

Also, we had our bands done in Mx by Dr. Ortiz, and she was VERY impressed with how well they were done. The ports were easy to find (right below the port scar on the left hand side) and very easy to access. She said she would have to write Dr. Ortiz a letter and let him know what a great job he did!:biggrin1:

Today, we are on Clear liquids and tomorrow we start mushies for one day, then on to solids. The whole appointment took 1 1/2 hours, which I had planned on because she wanted to get thorough with everything. The filling of the port part probably took 10 minutes for me and 15 for DH.

all in all, it was an excellent experience. Both DH and I are doing great tonight and the poke didn't hurt anywhere near as much as I thought it would!

I am really hoping that I will start seeing the scale start taking the downward direction again, as I had gained 4 lbs since my lowest!:mad:

I hope that everyone else has a smooth ride with their fill like my DH and I did!:clap2:

I sould have had you guys for the second day after my fill. Horrible day. I got up and tried some sf Jello. It was the stuff already made that you buy at the store. Yuck!! I had about 4 bites and felt nauseous. I went back to bed for a while and then ate some pudding. It went down fine. My hubby had baked some Cookies that I can't resist and I had one. Bad mistake. I didn't wait long enough to drink Water because I needed to take my pills. (one of them is kind of big) Whatever it was (the cookie which I ate real slow or the big pill or drinking too soon) cause me to hurt like heck. I felt like I was going to throw up. You guys have a name for it but I don't remember but I got real sweaty and my mouth slavaed (probably not a word) and my little stomach hurt bad. I was miserable. I wanted to throw up but hubby convinced me to try not to. After awhile (I am not sure how long. Seemed like forever) it got better and I was able togo backto sleep. When I got up I had some ice cream and so far it has stayed down and I don't have anymore pain. I will never so that again. Ever. I won't eat any more cookies, I am breaking that pill in half tomorrow and I am going to wait a long timebefore I drink water after I eat. I guess we learn from our mistakes. I was hoping that maybe we could chat again soon. Let me know and I will be there. I am trying to decide on what to eat next because I am hungry. First I will try water. TTFN

Beth,

Sorry you had a rough day! Try some warm broth or chicken Soup without any chunks! Maybe a Protein shake will take away the hunger. I just got my fill today and was starving cause we couldn't eat before we went and the slim fast shake really helped. Remember, you might be a little swollen, so drink WARM things, not ice cold cause that will tighten things up again. Go really easy tonight, and try mushies again tomorrow. Maybe some hot tea or chocolate would feel good.

Feel Better.

I had my first fill today and everything went just fine. He hit the port on the first try and I didn't feel anything going in. I am on liquids for three days and then blended foods.

Thanks dezadoo, you are absolutely right. When my last principal asked me when I was going back to work I told her that these 3 kids keep me busier than 28 grade 7's ever did.

OK friends, I am worried about something. I got my first fill last week 1.65 and for a few days I was having a terrible time. Now I think I can eat too much. My doctor says, stick with 1/2 cup of food. Well, I am sure I am eating twice that.

Should I go for another fill? I just want to eat and eat.

I can answer that for you. Yes you should go and get another fill. My doctor gave me a fill yesterday and filled it 2.5 cc so that I could wait awhile before another fill. If you didn't get enough of a fill I would difinitely ask for more. But you are losing so he might not have wanted you to have to much. But if you are eating to much than you do need a fill. I hope that makes since.

Hey guys I don't think I can chat tonight. I can't find you anyway. I was at the chat site last night and noone was there. I am not having diarhea. I know it is from that yucky stuff I drank yesterday when I got my fill. I think I am just going to try and go to bed. Talk to ya'll tomorrow.

Thanks Beth. I will give it a week or 2 and then book an appointment.

I want to lose some weight. If I can lost 2 pounds a week, then I am pretty happy, but if I maintain this week then I will make an appointment. It is just a drag as it is a 4-5 hour drive for me, each way.

If I had known, I'd have asked for a larger fill.

Oh well, live and learn.