Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Baylor Mom... in your signature, doubleclick your ticker, and then change it on the website... then copy/paste it back to your signature!

I am not getting it. I double clicked on my signature and it doesn't do anything but give me some arrows. I don't know what to do after that.

BaylorMom - I found this on one of Stephanie's previous posts:

After you make your ticker, highlight and copy the address in the box above it. Then go to your signature to edit it. Click on the box that looks like it has a mountain (insert image). When you click on the icon a box will pop up in the upper left part of your screen. Paste the address you just copied from the ticker site and then hit okay. It should appear in your signature box. Then click update signature. That should work.

She describes what I do and it has always worked so far. I tried the double clicking and it didn't work for me either. Hope this helps!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

When I update my ticker I just make my new ticker, then I right click on the image of the new ticker I just made, then I click on copy, then I go to signature on LBT and paste it in the signature box. You just right click in the signature box and click paste. Good Luck!

hi all! congrats on the wt loss and the execise. i have a ? how do you keep from getting extra skin as the wt drops off? i have been going to the gym at least 3 days/wk and trying to walk every day but i want to tone. any ideas?

I couldn't understand what you guys were telling me to do so I just redid it. I hope I will catch on so I wouldn't have to redo it everytime. Thanks for your help.

Re: Dezadoos post on how to avoid loose skin these are things I can think of that will make skin healthier in general and help to increase/maintain elasticity. These are just in MHO.

To avoid loose skin: lose weight slower, build muscles, take Vitamins for skin health, exfoliate, moisturize, drink lots of Water, make sure you have fats in your diet (healthy fats like the omegas), hmmm this is all I can think of right now! Err wait I almost forgot.. exercise is great for the skin because it makes you sweat, and sauna's too, increasing blood flow to the skin is good for it.. massages, wraps, etc.

Beth - I see you've updated your ticker! Congrats on the 21!!!

I've been so busy at work this week, that I haven't had time to come on the site in the evenings...I'm just heading to bed. Tomorrow is the big district-wide rah-rah thing and then I'll head back to the middle school for school-wide meeting and our wing meeting. I've put in 1.5 OT on Tues and Wed and 2 hrs OT today. There is just so much to do before the kids come next week!

I'll check in tomorrow and see how everyone is doing. Have a great night!

*tap tap tap, 'Is this thing on?'*

Geez, I can hardly believe it but I dropped another pound today *does a cart wheel* :)!! I've read some posts where people talk about starving body syndrome and I think in my case it holds true, for a few days I tried to seriously cut back on my calories to about 900 per day and omgosh my body clung to every ounce and would let nothing go! Then the past couple days Ive increased my calories to about 1300 and poof a pound just disappears. YES!

I also finally started to take my measurements today on a sadder note, lol my waist is bigger than my 6'4" husbands who weighs 260 lbs., boy that sucks. But im going to let that motivate me rather than hinder me!!! Wish me luck julyster friends. Over and out.

Boy since school started everyone disappears during the day. I am glad that you lost that pound. Way to go. I am going out to eat for the first time since surgery. I am going to Subway. I am going to be good. I promise. I am going with my mother and she watches me like a hawk. She went with me to all my nutritional classes so she knows the ropes as well as I do. I plan on only eating half of a half. If you know Subway you will know what I mean. I will report back later and tell you how it went. I am excited to be going out to eat. I hope that hubby and I will go out sometime this weekend so this is a good pratice. TTYL

Hi All!

I am in Monterrey and got my first fill today. It was a little scary. I ended up with 1.6cc/4.0cc. It was pretty cool seeing the barium flow through the stomach. I am staying the night here so hopefully if there are any problems with an under/over fill they can be fixed tomorrow! Wish me luck. Let the losing begin!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Olive

Beth-do you think maybe if I increase my intake to 2600 calories I'll lose 2 lbs? BTW-I have 20.5 lbs and my starting wt was 251-almost exactly your stats. Did your doc give you a goal wt?

Bad Day. My 15 year old is channeling Sybil (for those of you old enough to get that reference) she makes my eye twitch... and omg her like,cheerleading uniform is so like, ugly. And she is like getting sooo like, fat (she wears a size 0, yes zero) I informed her when I was growing up size 0 didn't exist. Yeah, she's really chunking up.

How to you guys feel, and handle people who are obviously skinny and complain about being fat??

I tend to be very sarcastic(hence my lifetime membership) and laugh it off but deep down I really want to say "shut up" or something equally eloquent.

These are the days when I want to eat mass quantites of food. Do you think I'll feel better when I have a fill??

Hi Michelle, I have a good friend who is very petite, she wears about a size 6 and she complains about her size sometimes too, and we've actually had an indepth talk about this very subject. And I guess what I came to realize is that your size does not give you self esteem. A lot of thin people have feelings of not being good enough just like a lot of overweight people do. When people who are thin complain about their weight what I hear them saying is thay they are having bad feelings about themselves.

And just to put in into perspective someone who weighs 200 pounds more than you do might want to tell you to 'shut up' if you were to say you were unhappy with your size.

One more thing too, try to remember what it was like when you were 15, its a tough age with lots of changes. You start to develop curves, and pimples, and it all hits you so fast. Your daughter is probably having a hard time with these changes. One thing you definitely want to avoid is comparing yourself with your daughters in a way that puts you in competition. My mom did that with me and I think we are not as close today because of it.

I think you'll feel more restricted when you have a fill, but I don't think it will make you feel differantly about skinny people. Thats something you have to change for yourself. Jelousy is a negetive emotion, and will do nothing but sabotage you.. let it go.

Well I did it. I went out to eat and didn't overeat. I ate half of a 6 inch sub. It was roasted turkey and cheese. I didn't think that I was ready for lettuce, Tomato and onions so I just had it plain. I was surprised how full I got. I can't wait to go somewhere else and see how I do there. I used to go out to eat quite a bit so this is exciting for me.

Does anyone have plans for the holidays? If you do please share.

I will start. We have an above the ground pool and a gazebo so if it doesn't rain we will probably be in there. But it is supposed to rain so maybe we will just stay in the gazebo. My hubby is not big on making plans so we will probably just watch some movies and eat out maybe. We have nowhere to go so we will be close to home.

Michelle,

I am definitely not an expert in this area, but I have gained a little understanding of a warped body image perception. When I was in high school, I honestly thought I was fat. When I looked in the mirror, I saw a fat person. My reasons may be different than your daughters (I am 5'10" tall, so my 150 lbs. and size 12/14 was HUGE in comparison to most of my 5" tall, 100 lbs friends), but ultimately it was more than that. I really did "think" I was fat. When I look at pictures of myself then, I only wish I could be that "fat" again (with the help of my lap-band, I do hope to be someday!). My pictures look different now than I remember seeing myself then.

I could never understand how a person with anorexia could starve themselves so much that they would look like a skeleton with skin on and not SEE it when they looked in the mirror. I understand now that they do not see what we see, they see a warped image that, to them, really exists. I don't know if your daughter is struggling with a warped perception of what her body looks like or not, but she may be.

There are, of course, many other reasons she could be saying that she is fat. Maybe her "ugly" cheerleading uniform doesn't flatter her body as well as it does the other girls. Maybe it's her TOM - hormonal teenage girls cannot think rationally and the whole world seems to fall apart and as we all know, we retain Water, become bloated, etc., etc., etc.

Another thing to consider - again, from my own life - Most of my preteen and teen years, my mom was overweight, constantly dieting, and always saying she was fat. I can't say for sure, but I imagine that didn't help me either. That is one of the reasons I wanted to be banded. I have an 8 yr old son and a 4 year old daughter and I didn't want them to grow up watching me struggle with my weight and dieting. We've discussed that I had surgery to help me become more healthy, which is the bottom line. I don't want to be, and I don't want them to be, constantly obsessing about food and weight in a negative way. Now, food and my weight are a more positive, encouraging thing in my life and that's what I want them to know.

I think your daughter and other "obviously skinny who complain about being fat" are different subjects. Your daughter may need to have a "heart to heart" with Mom for you to know what's really going on in her head. Maybe she's just looking for a little reassurance that she's beautiful exactly the way she is. Those "other" people most often deserve the "shut up" or other eloquence you spoke of or they're just fishing for a compliment or some type of validation.

I think you will feel better after your fill! When I got mine, I felt like I was finally able to officially begin this journey. I didn't really feel any restriction before being filled, so it seemed to defeat the whole purpose in being banded. Now, I'm filled only 1cc and it helps me to eat smaller portions without feeling so hungry - again, the whole point of the band!

Good luck to you!

PS - tell your daughter that her ugly uniform is not a reflection of her since it will be obvious to everyone that she wasn't the one who picked it out. I don't know if it will help her, but my sister (13) had the same problem with her cheerleading uniform and for some reason, hearing that helped.