Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Hey Everyone!! I haven't posted in awhile as I've been busy preparing and welcoming our foreign exchange student. She is from South Korea and will stay with our family for the school year. She's the same age as my daughter, 16, and they are sharing a room and going to the same school.

I had a terrible sliming experience on Monday when I tried to eat some deli turkey and roast beef too quickly and not paying attention. So, for these few days I've been back on liquids cuz my tummy hurt. I could kick myself for not thinking and getting into that predicament. Today I feel better but will proceed with liquids tomorrow and then start adding soft food.

Well, I hope we can go back to that chatroom deal that Jen set up. I can't usually use this chat feature so that one is great.

Glad everyone is doing well!!

Anyone heard from Lizzilo? I hope she is doing OK.

Erics Mom, congrats on your loss!

Also, did ya all hear Dody's account was suspended? The rest of LBT has been kinda crazy lately, this is the one of the few drama free places!

Congrats Mary, I see you lost more! You rock. Im glad you are on the mend with your sliming attack. I for one will take it to heart and try to avoid running into a similar situation.

Hi all,

I don't get to post very often, but I do make sure I catch up on all thats going on...when i'm feeling down or all alone on this journey, I just read a few messages and I remember why i'm doing this and that all my july bandsters are with me on this journey...so thank you and WELL DONE to all who post here!!!

I have good news I lost just over 7lbs in a week!!! I haven't even had a fill yet...my weight is 22 stone dead and I can't wait to get on the scales and see it say 21 stone ??lbs, I am going to the gym 3 times a week and feel better for it, healthier and more energetic.

I also have a date for my first fill 28th September, that makes it 10 weeks post band..which is longer than I expected but fairly normal here in the uk!! I can't wait, i'm getting very hungry now usually late in the day after dinner, I could eat more....I try not to and if I NEED to i usually eat some prawns or ham.

I sorted my bottom problem out!! I was so concerned that the band was causing problems, that I completely forgot that I suffer from IBS!!! how stupid is that... anyway, i've started to take aloe vera juice, and eat an Omega 3 mix of seeds and a few mixed nuts daily and this seems to have worked!!

Did I miss a chat? when are you arranging the next one??

Thanks for all the advice- I have never really talked or complained about being fat to my family so I hope there's no baggage there.My oldest 2 were suprized I was having this surgery.The whole subject is embarrasing to me. I freaked when my DH told my in-laws about it. Now I feel like I'm being watched. (I promise I'm really not a practicing paranoid schzophrenic) Hey quit looking at me!!:eek:

Teenage girls these days seem to have alot more to deal with than we did. The barage of overtly sexual music,movies,magazines depicting uber thin silicone women enhanced is overwhelming I think. ;)

DD (15 yo) had done competitive gymnastics since age 6 and now competitive cheerleading. :cheer2:ALL of these girls obsess about their wt all the time-I taken many a road trip with gaggles of them (can you say Xanax)I have used this as an opportunity to talk about these issues so hopefully somewhere there's a seed planted.:blah::blah::blah::blah:

Most of her references I feel are probably more habit than anything and I really don't think there are any psychoses there, I hope.

I think maybe, there is a distinction between people seeking approval (I'm so fat! no you're not) and people with serious problems (ie anorexia,bulemia I'm not hungry I ate last week) I bought my DD some good body image books for teens and told her to go lock herself in her room until she can refrain from calling herself fat.(kidding, I'm only kidding. Please don't call DHS):)

Long weekend plans-to buy new soccer mom car (I detest car shopping), watch UT play, go to fireworks Sun. and by Monday I will be counting the minutes until school starts on Tues.,I mean spend quality time with my family.

I bought my DD some good body image books for teens and told her to go lock herself in her room until she can refrain from calling herself fat.(kidding, I'm only kidding. Please don't call DHS);)

I think you may be on to something!!! LOL!

You mentioned how you were embarassed by people knowing about your surgery. I kind of felt the same way. I didn't tell anyone except my immediate family until the day before or day of surgery. I just didn't want to hear everyone's opinion and I felt like people who don't really know enough about it think of it as "the easy way out". Boy, we sure know there is no "easy" to it at all.

I finally decided that I should proud of my decision and I've been amazed at some of the responses I've gotten from people. Most didn't think I was heavy enough to get the surgery (I hid it pretty well mostly because I'm tall), but they were happy to see that I was happy about it. One person that I thought would definitely think I was crazy was like, "I'm so proud of you for doing it." They see so many people who just make excuses for their weight or who keep talking about doing something about it, but they never do. It's nice for them to see us do something that is so positive for ourselves!

MBPRN... I look forward to your posts because they are frocked with humor. Kinda like Erma Bombeck (remember her?) ending up on Survivor. Keep 'em coming. I say thank goodness for humor. I also say without sacrasm I'd have nothing to say!!!!

Anyone who knows/gave birth to and/or teaches a 13-16 year old female knows this age group was created to be psycho, evil to other girls and self-absorbed. Hang tough Mom and in the end she'll love you for it. Good luck. That's why I enjoy teaching Seniors in HS- they are almost human. When you talk to them about a serious subject they don't look at you like "well yeah, that's the way it was in 1901 when you were 15". They look at you like "well yeah, but I'm going to college and I'll be grown then like a teacher never went to college but was hatched from a test-tube in the Chemistry lab". Hmmmm....maybe I WAS 15 in 1901. :embarassed:

Have fun this weekend everyone who is still reading this. Have a nice 3 ounce medium rare hamburger and 2 ounces of Tomato.

Ruthie

Banded 7-11-06

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" thanks Jimmy

Indianlight, I made it myself, I just used the keyboard and emoticons available on the signature page. You can copy mine if you want! Or pick your own emoticons to use heres an example:

|-------------------------------------------->

42_______38:bolt: ___________23

BMI 4 Points down. 15 to go.

Or heres another one:

42_______38:) _____________23

LOL I could make these all day!:

42_______38:bump2: :bump2: ______23

You guys would be proud of me. I cleaned out my closet and drawers. I have clothes for next summer and this winter. I have been working hard all night and worked up quite a sweat. Now it is done I am so glad that I did it. We have a rental house and I manage it (I don't really do anything but collect rent) and I get 100.00 a month for spending. I have been putting back about 40.-60. dollars a month for clothes that I will need after I use the ones that I have. I also got lots of gift cards for my birthday for clothing stores so I will be set to go on a shopping spree proabably next fall. I can't wait. I don't know much else right now but I know I am tired and ready to go to bed soon. I hope you all had a nice day and I will talk to you tomorrow. Peace

mbprn - i love your posts and the responses have cracked me up! not because they're not good advice but cuz mine is to sit on all those annoying skinny people, kids included! lol!

my girlfriend who has 2 daughters, 20 and just 16 keeps telling me she may not make it until they leave her house, i think all teenage girls are psychotic so stock up on Valium, lock your bedroom door and wait it out!

dez

p.s. i'll pray for you

LOL dezadoo, when you are skinny will you consider yourself annoying? If skinny people are annoying .. why do we want to be skinny? When we get skinny will we suddenly feel all great about ourselves and never complain about our bodies again? I know for a fact that when I was skinny in HS, I thought I was sooo fat. I wore like a size 7-9 and was muscular and fit! Yet I compared myself to those naturally thin people who were long an lanky in their size Zero's. Now adays I just want to be healthy and fit and my personal best... and smaller than my husband would be nice. I worry about my daughters growing up in this world of perfection expectations in the media. Its so sad isn't it? I haven't raised a teenager yet but I truly hope I can be bonded to my girls and not annoyed too much by them. I had a friend in HS who had a great relationship with her mom and boy I wished I had that, but it wasn't possible with my mom. I hope it can be possible with my daughters. Time will tell, I think getting healthy and having a more positive self image will help because I'll be able to be more active with them. My Julia is blessed with tallness and she's thin and fine boned. My Luciana is built more like me lol thick, but she's only 4 months so .. maybe her dad's genes will kick in yet!

Well, gals (and guys) I'm on my 3rd day of liquids recovering from that sliming incident. I can't wait to EAT again. I've added Protein, but I miss the food. Guess I've learned my lesson.

Speaking of teenagers, I have 8 of them right now in the house. My daughter is having a slumber party and then I have 2 sons who are also teens. So far so good. We just watched "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" which I highly recommend (favorite movie) and now they are watching "Madea's Family Reunion". That Tyler Perry is one talented guy.

So, I've dropped another couple pounds probably since I've been doing liquids. My tummy is feeling better, thankfully. Hope all of you have a great weekend. Miss hearing from some of you...JMO, KMO, Lizzilo....where are ya??

Karik-I hope that you will have a close relationship with your DDs. I will tell you something happens when they hit about 12. First it's subtle-eye roll, :rolleyes:sigh.Then you'll buy her a shirt and she gasp at your apparent ignorance of current fashion.(you may find said shirt several months later under her bed with tags still attached-possibly with fingernail polish remover on it)

After this she'll ask to go to the mall to buy some "like cool like clothes" -translated $95 jeans that look like you took them straight off of a homeless guy down by the docks.

After a few minutes at the mall you'll notice she isn't walking with you anymore, either 4 paces ahead or behind.

You'll confront her about this "I AM NOT!!!"(loud and sarcastically) then she spots someone she knows and runs (yes runs) to this person :sleepsquealing loud enough to shatter glass in delight that she has been rescued from her apparent hell.

Now mind you-she still wants the homeless jeans and possibly some "cute" (gag me) sweat pants that say Juicy or something else classy across the rear. No you say. How about this pink ruffled dress? At this point she may spontaneously combust depending on her age.

Oh yeah and all the other girls get their underwear from victoria's secret. Umm NO!! Look I only shop there once a year on our anniversery and that's only if your Dad buys me something shiny.:)

All kidding aside (well not all)for a teen she actually does talk to me alot about boys and school etc. She told me the other day that she was glad she could talk to me about sex and "stuff" (I'm scared to ask the definition of this) 'cause her friends couldn't talk to their moms. One of her fellow cheerleaders thought she was pregnant :preggers:and DD came to me to ask how to tell and what to do. I was very proud of her for that.

My DH occasionally has wisdom-everytime I get really frustrated :frusty:with her (about every 6 seconds) he'll remind me it's all part of the process. All that crap about giving them wings and pushing them out of the nest. So by the time she's ready to go you'll be ready for her to leave.Cue "Butterfly Kisses" (sob):violin:

As for the skinny vs fit thing-I will never be skinny. I just don't want to look around at book club and realize I'm the fattest one there anymore. I too want to be smaller than my DH. He asked me how much wt I wanted to lose and I said about 70lbs and he says"that much?" He has no idea what I weigh and nor will he.

2 questions for all:

1.Does your significant other know how much you weigh-why or why not?:)

2.Most embarrassing fat moment you will never have happen to you again now that you are becoming skinny or thin or svelte or normal??:D

Mine - a few years ago I was going horse back riding with my DH's family. Evidently they have to know how much you weigh to give you the appropriate horse. I guess they were too embarrassed to ask but let's just say I had quite the stallion.(that sounded alot more fun than it was-snicker, oh great now I want a candy bar):deadhorse: