Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

I went out to lunch with some former co-workers today. They picked a bar famous for their burgers - wouldn't have exactly been my choice. I ordered a mushroom and swiss burger, no bun, no fries. The waitress looked at me rather funny and said, are you sure? Then the cook came out and asked if I wanted some lettuce and tomato...I said no I was good with just the burger, mushrooms and swiss cheese. I ate about 3/4 of it. The girls couldn't believe that that was all I could eat. They hadn't seen me since my surgery, but did know I was having it. They said I looked good. That made me feel good :wacko:

Hey,

Got my first fill today. They said it was .6cc. Could I have misheard that. Looking at so many others I don't see very many under 1-1.5cc. I have the size 10 band so I don't know how much that holds. The fill was fine. Easier than I expected. Bee sting from numbing shot was the worst part.

That does sound low, especially since you have the 10cm band. Who knows though, I'm no doctor. LOL

I ha 1.5 first fill at 5 weeks postop and then 2 weeks later, Tuesday, I had .75 more which puts me at 2.25 and I have the 9.75 inamed band. The first fill I couldn't tell but I have great restriction so far, but from reading posts it doesn't last all that long until you need to tweak it a little bit more. How soon can you get another? Mine says 2 weeks but a friend of mine got hers Tuesday as well and it was her first and she can't get anymore for 6 weeks. My first fill also took 7 days for me to fill what little I could fill. Maybe in a few days you'll feel more. Good luck.

Well I got my fill. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The doc said that my port was tilted and therefore hard to get to. He used the floro and had to push alot on my stomach. He had to stick me 3 times. Ouch!! No numbing stuff either. The worst part was drinking that nasty stuff. I had to drink it laying down with a straw. I got to watch it go down to my stomach but it still felt weird. The doctor filled it all the way up and then let it out until he could see it going all the way through. He said he put is 2.5 cc. He said that he wanted to put in that much so we wouldn't have to do alot of fills. Anyway he made me drink some Water to make sure that it would go down without any pain which it did. The only pain I had was at my port site. Now that is Okay but I can feel the tightness in my stomach. I also had a back ache when I left but I think that was from sitting most of the day. I came home and took some pain meds and I feel alittle better but not great. I just had some pudding and only ate half of it. I don't want to over do. I am a little scared to eat too much but maybe tomorrow will be better. I will try to get to the chat room if I can.

My doctor told me that I should lose only 8 pounds a month. That was reasonable. I really hope to lose a little more that that but we will see. I am going to go back and lay down for awhile. Talk to you guys later.

Beth, sorry to hear things didn't go as well as you had hoped. It's too bad they didn't numb the port site once they figured out it was tilted. I hope you're feeling better tonight.

Ericsmom,

Hey when you had your fill did you feel hungry or did you notice resistence right away? I just ate the other half of pudding and I am still hungry. Should I eat something else or ignore the hunger?

I am going to stick around awhile in the chat room to see if anyone comes on if you want to go there.

The day I had my fill I really noticed it about 1/2 hour later. I had 3/4 of a protien shake and was feeling quite full and awful for a while that evening. A week later I feel it, and I can definitely only eat 1/2 cup or so at a time. I had a small chicken breast and 3 broccoli flowerettes for dinner and I couldn't finish the chicken.

If you're hungry, then eat...just not a lot. I usually let my stomach growl for at least 20 minutes to make sure it's hunger instead of just noises as the food passes through the stoma. That could be what's going on with you. I think I read somewhere on here that you can hear your stomach as it's passing through sometimes.

Hi guys; What time did you do chat room?? I was on at 10 EST and stayed for about 15 minutes but no one came on. I would love to join you!!

Ruthie

Today marks week 5 for me.

My scale never reads the same thing twice, but I am claiming that I am a miniscule under 250. That makes a 31 pound loss in 5 weeks.

I KNOW it is slowing down now, so if I can focus on low carb, which is really the only thing that goes down well anyway, and sticking to 3 meals plus 2 or 3 tiny Snacks, then my weight loss should be in the 2 pound range per week.

My doc says no snacks, but there is no way I can get from noon to 6pm without something. Even a tiny yogurt.

Anyway, that is my weekly check in.

I read daily, and love to see everyones' progress.

Come one losers, report your losses.

Hey Paulax, I have a theory about what doctors tell you to eat. They tell you what is good for most. And while I take everything my doc tells me to heart and seriously consider it.. at the end of the day I know what is best for me. But if/when I am confused I fall back on their advice. My doc says no snacking too however im a firm believer in having one snack per day that is small in carbs/calories and hopefully high in protein/vitamins. Or if its chocolate that works too lol like SF choc. pudding. I say let your body be your gauge, if you stop losing you know you have to do something differant. If you feel low energy you know you have to do something differant. I say ride the wave that works best for you. But thats just my 2 cents lol for what its worth.

You are absolutely right Kari. I am a teacher, not working currently home with my 3 kids, but my body gets hungry at recess and after school. lol!

The only snack I NEED to stop is the night time eating.

Yes, I am trying to ride the wave, but it is hard going from 3 weeks PLUS clear liquid diet to solids. I think I am getting the hang of it, but it is taking a while. I almost think I am needing a tiny fill.

paulax - did you say not working but currently at home with 3 kids...girl, what is your definition of WORK cuz you are doin' mine!

it's so good to hear all about the fills, it sounds like we are all knocking off the lbs. i get mine 9/27 after my 5 wks on mushies is up, unless i'm still losing 1-2 lbs./wk

about the snacking..on my current stage 4 (mushy) diet my group recommends 4-6 small meals of 1-2 oz Protein 1st, then veggies and fruits, then carbs but not many carbs except potatoes are allowed. they recommend a morning, afternoon and eve smack if you want or need it. if that helps...but i agree with many of you, follow your body and your instincts, i am not really dieting just eating healthy and VERY small portions (1-2 scallops) and stopping when i'm satisfied.

so how was the chat last nite? i was in newport and missed it!