Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow U Eat That!?

I undestand that there is a percentage of band failures' date=' I believe I stated that in the very next statement. The point I was making is that if you don't change your eating habits, hence still gorge on fast food, don't blame the medical device for not working.[/quote']

You stated a "small" percentage...the % of failure is significant....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/t/story?id=13187452

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/t/story?id=13187452

I stand corrected, thank you.

That study is very small, and it doesn't take into consideration complications and slips by patient error.

I have no doubt the number of people having complications is that high, but you must take into consideration the percentage of those complications that are patient caused. That study makes no difference between band caused complications and patient caused ones.

Most erosion is caused because people eat things they are not supposed to and eat too much. It puts pressure on the band and causes it to erode. I think that most band failures are because of the patient. Being too tight and throwing up, eating too much, drinking carbonated beverages and caffiene, these all cause erosion. The amount of people on here that do all these things will end up with getting their bands removed. It's not worth the risk to over eat. You have to take some responsibility in your diet. People say nothing is off limits but if you're eating something that is constantly getting stuck then that product shoud be off limits.

Most erosion is caused because people eat things they are not supposed to and eat too much. It puts pressure on the band and causes it to erode. I think that most band failures are because of the patient. Being too tight and throwing up' date=' eating too much, drinking carbonated beverages and caffiene, these all cause erosion. The amount of people on here that do all these things will end up with getting their bands removed. It's not worth the risk to over eat. You have to take some responsibility in your diet. People say nothing is off limits but if you're eating something that is constantly getting stuck then that product shoud be off limits.[/quote']

Thank you. That was the point I was trying to make. You just said it better. :)

Most erosion is caused because people eat things they are not supposed to and eat too much. It puts pressure on the band and causes it to erode. I think that most band failures are because of the patient. Being too tight and throwing up, eating too much, drinking carbonated beverages and caffiene, these all cause erosion. The amount of people on here that do all these things will end up with getting their bands removed. It's not worth the risk to over eat. You have to take some responsibility in your diet. People say nothing is off limits but if you're eating something that is constantly getting stuck then that product shoud be off limits.

Wow - seriously?? As someone who has survived an erosion gone into peritonitis after months of tests that never detected the problem, I am both offended and appalled by this comment. Erosion happens, and it happens a lot more frequently than you might think. Anyone with a band should be aware of what the symptoms and warning signs are - IF it happens to you it can become life threatening.

I couldn't eat a whopper or a big mac now . Every night when I sit down to eat I take to much and end up eating 1/2 0f it . It has become a joke at our house my husband will say are you going to eat that and I say no . Waitresses constantly ask me is the food alright because there is so much on my plate. And I use to be a founding member of the clean plate club.

Now I crave organic lettuce, spinache and grape tomatoes. If I want something I eat it but rarely all of it just a taste is okay. I learned how to eat all over again at 59. And fast food just isn't good to me or for me I can not eat bread what do you get that isn't in a bun not much......

It is funny how you mention that! I do the VERY same thing!!!! I just cooked some lovely yellow squash, onions, and chicken...total calories for the entire thing was only 296...BUT~~~I couldn't even eat half of it! It is not because I feel like some say--restriction or coming up in my throat, it is because I just feel full! My plates were always twice as big as everyone else's...and now I barely eat half of what I put on the plate! I see my small amount that I have eaten from my "small" sized portions...and think.."Gosh, have I even eaten?"

I really love the lapband...and I am still eating healthy...and the lapband has nothing to do with that...I don't eat doughnuts and pastries...even if I want to...it is only a taste. So, I feel in control...the lapband is just making it easier! Love it!

Most erosion is caused because people eat things they are not supposed to and eat too much. It puts pressure on the band and causes it to erode. I think that most band failures are because of the patient. Being too tight and throwing up' date=' eating too much, drinking carbonated beverages and caffiene, these all cause erosion. The amount of people on here that do all these things will end up with getting their bands removed. It's not worth the risk to over eat. You have to take some responsibility in your diet. People say nothing is off limits but if you're eating something that is constantly getting stuck then that product shoud be off limits.[/quote']

This is hogwash. The exact causes of band erosion are unknown...there are a million theories out there....this is just one more example of someone blaming the pt for the failure of the device. Read up before you post this kind of misinformation.

I know many who have had erosion, they didn't eat too much, take NSAIDs, drink carbonated beverages, caffeine, etc. please post links to the information you cite.

This is hogwash. The exact causes of band erosion are unknown...there are a million theories out there....this is just one more example of someone blaming the pt for the failure of the device. Read up before you post this kind of misinformation.

I know many who have had erosion, they didn't eat too much, take NSAIDs, drink carbonated beverages, caffeine, etc. please post links to the information you cite.

Here you go, this cites a clinical study of over 4000 patients and it does take into consideration slips by the fault of the patient: http://arturorodrigu.../comment-page-8

"A clinical study was done in Germany to review complications following lap band surgery. Thirty-five hospitals were involved in the study, with 4138 patients that underwent gastric banding over a five-year period. Lap Band long-term complications were described in 8.6% of all patients. The most common complications included: pouch dilation or enlargement (5.0%), lap band slippage (2.6%), and Lapband migration or erosion (1.0%). (Stroh,C Manger, T “Complications after adjustable gastric banding”, Chirurg, 2006, Vol 77,pag 244-250)"

"Risk factors or causes of lap band slippage include surgical technique, model of the lapband used, early consumption of solid foods, early inflation or filling of the band, consumption of carbonated or sparkling beverages, and frequent vomiting."

Here you go' date=' this cites a clinical study of over 4000 patients and it does take into consideration slips by the fault of the patient: http://arturorodrigu.../comment-page-8

"A clinical study was done in Germany to review complications following lap band surgery. Thirty-five hospitals were involved in the study, with 4138 patients that underwent gastric banding over a five-year period. Lap Band long-term complications were described in 8.6% of all patients. The most common complications included: pouch dilation or enlargement (5.0%), lap band slippage (2.6%), and Lapband migration or erosion (1.0%). (Stroh,C Manger, T “Complications after adjustable gastric banding”, Chirurg, 2006, Vol 77,pag 244-250)"

"Risk factors or causes of lap band slippage include surgical technique, model of the lapband used, early consumption of solid foods, early inflation or filling of the band, consumption of carbonated or sparkling beverages, and frequent vomiting."

Thanks Missy! Someone was looking for this info the other night. Going to find her and hook her up. : )

Yikes. This escalated quickly. But I learned a lot.

Thanks for all the posts. ;)

Yikes. This escalated quickly. But I learned a lot.

Thanks for all the posts. ;)

Is that you hiding?

Too bad you didn't do this research before you were banded. Maybe we wouldn't have to be reading this. Obviously this research was available to you at the time.

Sorry for your bad experience BUT AGAIN YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT! Those who cry about band failure while belly up at ff restaurant have no one to blame but themselves.

I dont understand why you call it hog wash. Erosion happens because the band is too tight around the stomach and over eating pushes the band in to the stomach wall and the pressure causes that same band to erode. The band can not or will not erode unless it is too tight on the stomach or is placed incorrectly. Erosion happens but 9 times out of 10 it is the patients fault. You may not be in that 9 but it is mostly due to the patient not doing what they are supposed to do. Nsaids sitting in the pouch over and over again along with caffiene and soda (which we are told not to consume) will also cause erosion in the pouch.

I dont understand why you call it hog wash. Erosion happens because the band is too tight around the stomach and over eating pushes the band in to the stomach wall and the pressure causes that same band to erode. The band can not or will not erode unless it is too tight on the stomach or is placed incorrectly. Erosion happens but 9 times out of 10 it is the patients fault. You may not be in that 9 but it is mostly due to the patient not doing what they are supposed to do. Nsaids sitting in the pouch over and over again along with caffiene and soda (which we are told not to consume) will also cause erosion in the pouch.

You said it "...the band is too tight". This is the responsibility of the medical team, not the pt. I don't have erosion, but I am too tight, with no fill after losing 82 lb. If I develop erosion, it will be due to the band, not my eating habits. I only had 3.5 cc in my 11cc band, kept it loose on purpose. There are hundreds of stories just like mine and worse.

If a pt goes in for a fill and is given, say 5cc, thinks they are ok, but over time develops random tightness, GERD, etc AND is not well educated by their medical team (so they don't recognize the warning signs), is this the patient's fault? No. This exact scenario is being played out in the banded community over and over again. Go to other support sites, search band complications and you will see for yourself.

The patient who gets a band and the band doesn't perform as promised, or causes life threatening complications, is a victim. To blame the patient for the device's failure is to victimize the patient TWICE.

My band has helped me, but currently is injuring me...I'm thankful for the loss of 82lb, but for a 63 year old woman who has had over a dozen surgeries, the prospect of additional surgery is daunting. If my ins had covered it, I could have been done with one procedure, VSG, and saved myself a lot of trouble.

Being aware of potential complications, their symptoms, etc could save your life.