Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow U Eat That!?

and it says about three small meals it doesnt say you must.

First off' date=' "sweetheart" is extremely condescending. Second...you meant "accepting", not "excepting". Don't know if more insurance companies are covering it or not. Do know that many insurances are putting a "1 bariatric surgery per lifetime because of the ever increasing # of revisions, primarily of AGB and RNY patients.

If you read the thread you will see that several statements were made that imply or openly state that AGB failure is the fault of the patient...[/quote']

Sorry if you thought I was being condescending, that was not my intention. I'm from the south, everyone is hun,sweetheart or dear.

I was feeling sorry for you b/c you were taking it so personal with the statement about "ALL" erosions are caused by pt error. When no one was saying that. Obviously since you got your panties in a knot, you are not one of those. Fine, good, glad to hear it.

As far as my spelling, sorry, I had a very bad auto accident and my Dr said things would take a year to fully recover. Thanks for understanding! Also I have a special needs granddaughter and if I ever caught anyone talking to her the way you have done, you'd see another side of the south you wouldn't like.

So go climb under your condescending rock, I'm done!

Respectfully, it is the medical team that is our primary resource for education about warning signs. I had GERD pre op, so when it came on gradually, I didn't realize it was because I was too tight. Remember, I only had 3.5 cc in my band. It was the scar tissue, caused by the stomach churning (it's normal) under the band, that caused the tightness, not me over eating and distending the stomach. This is my point. To say ALL band failures are due to noncompliance is just wrong....

I never said ALL band failures were due to patient fault. There most certainly are times the band has major complications, even requiring removal, by absolutely no fault of the patient. There's a few of these people on these forums. My heart truly goes out to them. Unfortunately, it's a risk we all take when we get banded.

Will I end up one? I don't know, I hope not. But I do know if my band does fail, it won't be because I was like the majority who neglect and abuse their band. I've done my homework and I've put far too much into this to ruin it with poor choices and ignorance.

Sorry if you thought I was being condescending' date=' that was not my intention. I'm from the south, everyone is hun,sweetheart or dear.

I was feeling sorry for you b/c you were taking it so personal with the statement about "ALL" erosions are caused by pt error. When no one was saying that. Obviously since you got your panties in a knot, you are not one of those. Fine, good, glad to hear it.

As far as my spelling, sorry, I had a very bad auto accident and my Dr said things would take a year to fully recover. Thanks for understanding! Also I have a special needs granddaughter and if I ever caught anyone talking to her the way you have done, you'd see another side of the south you wouldn't like.

So go climb under your condescending rock, I'm done![/quote']

But I'm not talking to your granddaughter....sorry, but the tone of your salutation was condescending. I'm disabled too...I don't expect special treatment. Read the rest of my response to you. No disrespect intended, I understand the cultural difference, but wasn't aware of it...

Ditto Missy! It truely breaks my heart to read posted about how the band failed. The band doesn't fail' date=' patients do. I know there is a small percent of true band failures, but you get my point.

As for ff, don't like it. My cooking tastes much better. Lol[/quote']

This is the post I responded to...

I did my research...my medical team is great' date=' but they are doing less and less bands and more revisions, VSG now because of experiences like mine. I was and am highly compliant. Please don't make assumptions. My purpose in responding to this point of view is to help that person who reads that they are at fault, when in fact they may NOT be, and encourage them to share their experience in a safe venue, away from bullies.

I once held the point of view that if I did everything "by the book" my band would be a lifetime device. Unfortunately, the band manufacturers no longer state this, saying it isn't a lifetime device.

Perhaps if you asked when I was banded, you would understand that the # of failures has escalated tremendously for the newer bands in the last 2 years. When I was preparing for surgery 3 years ago, the old 4cc band was cited as the one causing problems. The newer bands were being touted as "much safer, less prone to complications..."

Why do you assume that anyone who "cry about failure" are bellying up at the "ff restaurant"? That's just a mean stereotype!

Btw, the instructions that Allergan is giving for post op diet and eating habits keeps evolving as more and more complications surface.[/quote']

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I obviously struck a chord. I am not stereotyping or being mean I am commenting based on what I have read on this forum.

You obviously are very passionate about your view point and once again I am sorry you had such a bad experience. Are you saying that if you knew then what you know now you wouldn't have gotten the surgery?

You stated a "small" percentage...the % of failure is significant....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/t/story?id=13187452

This study was also about patients who were filled during surgery. They have since learned the tighter is not better

Most erosion is caused because people eat things they are not supposed to and eat too much. It puts pressure on the band and causes it to erode. I think that most band failures are because of the patient. Being too tight and throwing up, eating too much, drinking carbonated beverages and caffiene, these all cause erosion. The amount of people on here that do all these things will end up with getting their bands removed. It's not worth the risk to over eat. You have to take some responsibility in your diet. People say nothing is off limits but if you're eating something that is constantly getting stuck then that product shoud be off limits.

This is complete nonsense. All of it is nonsense.

The medical community does not know what causes erosion so how do you know? We do know that in a very small percentage of patients that are obviously too tight they can erode. But the vast majority of erosions are from a cause that is totally unknown. This is why when Realize came out with their version of the band and they were advertising that it would cause less erosion they were the joke of the medical community. Since nobody knows why erosion happens a majority of the time it's pretty hard to prevent it with a different band.

You are free to think anything you wish but the Fed Govt disagrees with you about who is at fault with failed bands. This is why they recently issued a subpeona to Allergan demanding many of their records. They want to know why a majority of bands are removed due to serious complications before the six year point. So what does this mean? If a majority of bands have to be removed and YOU claim it is usually patient error, are you suggesting just the incredibly stupid get banded? These failed band people who live at McDonalds revise to another surgery type and amazingly, they become smart because with a different surgery type they get to goal quickly. How do you explain this?

The ASMBS disagrees with you about caffeine and carbonation causing erosion. Perhaps you should read up on this because it was in 2007 the ASMBS did away with the no caffeine, carbonation, smoking, and NSAIDs rule. They were all proven to NOT cause erosion. Seriously, bariatric surgeons have known this since before you were even banded so with all your worldly facts, how come you don't know this?

Do what you want this is ending on my end. If you choose to eat more then you're supposed to then do it. It's not affecting me one bit. I have been successful so eat how you want and when you want. Done here.

So you do not overeat? You are successful. Congrats to you.

How is goal working for you?

i know you didnt ask me, but i do not overeat (either)

i overate in my past to make me need wls...why do that now?

i take 100% responsibility for what or what not goes into my mouth. no excuse.

it doesnt make me better..just means i want this.

A lot of fast food really can't go down with my band. Wendy's chili sometimes gyro meat at pita places. Some if the meat at fast food including chicken is just way too tough for my stomach. I must be super sensitive because some people can handle things I can't. Banded at 6cc right now feeling rather tight thus month. It's a wait and see by next week whether I should unfill a bit.

if one follows their dr's instructions and listen to their body's for signs of something wrong

what else can one do?..... things happen.

all surgeries have complications. the band can fail or whatever.

some people have problems and some dont

bitching to each other about whose right or wrong and spewing hogwash solves nothing.

each of us are different and each of us

have different dr's and we all just gotta do what we intended to do when we had this surery

get well/healty and lose weight.

maddy' date=' you can call me sweetheart anytime.[/quote']

Sweetheart!!!!

Sorry' date=' didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I obviously struck a chord. I am not stereotyping or being mean I am commenting based on what I have read on this forum.

You obviously are very passionate about your view point and once again I am sorry you had such a bad experience. Are you saying that if you knew then what you know now you wouldn't have gotten the surgery?

[/quote']

Correct, I wouldn't get a band. I would choose VSG, since Portion Control was my issue and I'm not a candidate for malabsorptive WLS. My experience hasn't been all bad. I've regained a lot of my mobility, have a more active and participatory life. I've been "successful" having lost 60% of my EW (82 lb).

When I post about my experience and the experiences of hundreds of others who HAVE suffered serious complications, lifetime damage to their stomachs and esophagus, vagus nerve damage, reflux, it isn't to stir up sh*t, it is to aid those are doing their research and save them the trouble and risk of additional surgeries, procedures, etc. for those who are banded and complication free, it is good to know the warning signs and be prepared, in case. The people I used to think were band bashes have become my greatest resources in dealing with my complications and getting unfilled quickly. I credit them with me being able to keep my band this long. My symptoms of a problem started 15 months post-op. I've been dealing with them for over a year, it's been a roller coaster to say the least.

I just had my GB out a year ago, I've had over a dozen major surgeries in my adult life and the prospect of enduring at least one more is daunting, especially when you consider I have a knee that needs replaced and that is getting pushed back due to my band issues. This isn't being negative, it's being honest. My band issues are as follows:

GERD, intolerance to most veggies and fruits (wont go through the band), frequent PBs, palpitations when I eat, regurgitating food while eating despite eating very slowly, chewing, tiny bites etc, pain in my back, neck, jaw, and even teeth (vagus nerve irritation). I had to have a complete cardiac work up to rule out cardiovascular disease. Remember, I kept my band loose! 3.5 cc in my 11 cc band. I'm a rule follower...I was 100% compliant with my doctors instructions.

Those who insist that it is the patients failure most of the time are creating an atmosphere where those having problems will feel unsafe sharing their experiences and asking for help. If a person was in a bad car accident, they would get a lot of support, not be blamed for the accident by people who have no idea what happened. That's just wrong.

I called AJ out on blaming most bandsters for their own failure/complications...tried to make a point. Epic fail due to a very closed minded group of "mean girls".

The End

This study was also about patients who were filled during surgery. They have since learned the tighter is not better

Realize bands are not filled at surgery, allergan recommends a primer fill of 3cc at surgery for its bands...not really a lot, but it often has to be removed before discharge.

Ditto Missy! It truely breaks my heart to read posted about how the band failed. The band doesn't fail' date=' patients do. I know there is a small percent of true band failures, but you get my point.

As for ff, don't like it. My cooking tastes much better. Lol[/quote']

"I called AJ out in blaming most bandsters for their own failure/complications...tried to make a point. Epic fail due to very close minded group of "mean girls"

Oh, so anyone who has their own opinion and doesn't fully agree with you Mac are considered "close minded group of "mean girls"?

Well I for one am happy to be a part of that group.

I love everyone of them. They have never made fun of anyone's spelling or grammar.

Hello Kettle!