Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

And on a completely different front: are you finding that it's frustrating to not get notices of updates to this board any more? Maybe it's my settings and I haven't found the right one yet, but I don't know when any of you post -- and I don't like that!! I also think it's cut down on posting. Thoughts?

Best to all,

Deb WS

YESSSS!! I am so annoyed about that !! I have to scroll through the threads every day to find our thread!! UGH!!

How are you? i have not gotten back here in a few days with things just being so hectic!! It's one errand after another, gifts to buy, wrap, etc! Funm but exhausting! I try to keep busy so that I dont think about eating. I find I do so much better at work where I am preoccupied, and not think much about food. It's the weekends that get me. But like I said, I try to keep busy and not stay home so I don't sit around and eat.

Today is one of those stay at home, rainy days, so I anticipate doing a lot of cleaning and wrapping to keep my busy!

Deb, when are you going for your fill? I have my next appt on the 21st, but don't know if they plan to give me a fill or not. I am hoping they will. Otherwise, I will be doomed at X-Mas! I'd rather have a fill before, so that I am not so tempted to gorge myself!

How is everyone else doing??

YESSSS!! I am so annoyed about that !! I have to scroll through the threads every day to find our thread!! UGH!!

If you click on the line in the upper left of the screen that says "Signed in as [your screen name]". then click on "My Content" you'll filter through to your posts. You can find a specific thread you've posted in more easily. Cuts down on a lot of needless scrolling to find what you want.

Dave

so I was banded on the 19th and tomorrow will be 3 weeks out. Although I get full easier i have noticed that i have zero restriction. Which I guess is normal since my band is 11cc's and it is all the way open. However I thought that i would still only be able to eat a little bit. So far I have been able to eat the same amount I was before the surgery, but I do limit myself so that i don't gain any weight. Im having some issues getting in all of the Protein but i only get about 5-10 grams away from the goal on some days. The sucky part is my first fill wont be untill january 4th. I wish they would move it up but they told me I have to wait 6 weeks :( I just really want to feel some restriction so I can lose more.

I know your so ready for a fill I was and am the same way. but gurl fills hurt. I am about to be 5 weeks post op and you can have fills after 4 weeks with my place...but I went in to get a fill last week and now i have second thoughts about what I have done cause...I am bruised severely and I couldn't even get the fill...Have to go back this wenesday to get it. However it's no rush as long as you keep in mind that you can't eat everything you see just because you can.

Had my first fill today, I was a little nervious but it went well, I think. He removed 1.5cc to check how much was there and added 5 cc. He told me I was going to be very tight.... No kidding, liguids and full liquids for 48 hours and then mushy and then try food again. I was really nervious to drink anything and have found out that I can only take small sips. But I will say that the hunger feeling is gone and that's a good thing. The past few weeks I had spent a lot of time of me controling my diet and hunger and not the band. Hoping for the best with 5cc's but really feel full tonight. The fill it self was not bad, they numbed me with lidicaine, then inserted the needle into my port and withdrew and injected the saline. All done under fluro, I got to see the liquid going through the opening into my stomach and boy is that opening small, probably smaller than a pencil. Hope everyone is doing well. I just had a good laugh with my mother-in-law and asked her if she could puree my prime rib for christmas dinner, because I think the next two weeks are going to be a little different than the past month. One day at a time here.

Had my first fill today, I was a little nervious but it went well, I think. He removed 1.5cc to check how much was there and added 5 cc. He told me I was going to be very tight.... No kidding, liguids and full liquids for 48 hours and then mushy and then try food again. I was really nervious to drink anything and have found out that I can only take small sips. But I will say that the hunger feeling is gone and that's a good thing. The past few weeks I had spent a lot of time of me controling my diet and hunger and not the band. Hoping for the best with 5cc's but really feel full tonight. The fill it self was not bad, they numbed me with lidicaine, then inserted the needle into my port and withdrew and injected the saline. All done under fluro, I got to see the liquid going through the opening into my stomach and boy is that opening small, probably smaller than a pencil. Hope everyone is doing well. I just had a good laugh with my mother-in-law and asked her if she could puree my prime rib for christmas dinner, because I think the next two weeks are going to be a little different than the past month. One day at a time here.

Did you feel pain afterwards near your port?

I had my first fill yesterday, 5.5 cc's (3.5 at installation) in a 14 cc band. I was told to do liquids for 2 days before real food. Without thinking, I had a bowl of chili a few hours later! LOL I realized halfway through, but since it was going down OK, I finished.

I can feel restriction, sort of like after surgery. I had normal needle pain after the lidocain wore off. The biggest difference is that I had left shoulder pain later in the evening! Hmmm. I never had that after surgery, so I'm wondering if it was from being walked by our dog or if it's from the fill. I guess I'll have to wait until the next fill.

I am seeing the surgeon this week, and expect to get my first fill (and a temporary return to liquids and purees for a few days thereafter). I have found that I get really hungry at times...and therefore, am looking forward to this fill...I think I need a measure of control I don't quite have. On the other hand, I continue to lose weight...now 27 lbs since four weeks prior to surgery...so I am feeling quite cheerful on that count!

I have struggled to find exercise, however, and wonder if this is true for anyone else. I had to stay out of yoga until last week, and I think that I need yoga, cardio, and strength-building as well. Anyone have any good advice on this front?

And on a completely different front: are you finding that it's frustrating to not get notices of updates to this board any more? Maybe it's my settings and I haven't found the right one yet, but I don't know when any of you post -- and I don't like that!! I also think it's cut down on posting. Thoughts?

Best to all,

Deb WS

weight.png

Hi Deb,

I to have hit a standstill with the losing of weight. However, I have noticed that I am still losing inches SLOWLY!! But I am finding if I don't wear a belt with some of my pants they keep falling down and I have baggy butt...LOL As for the posting I have noticed that the November Banded people have really showed in there posting. I try and check this posting list every time I get on, and sometimes I have to hurt for it.

I can still eat just about anything with no problems even though I have 4cc's in my Band. I have over done it twice, almost getting sick. But thankfully I didn't and was able to get over it in a few min. My next fill will be January 5th. I am hoping for a little more restriction. Right now I have not lost any weight in about 2 weeks. But then again I have not gotten on the scale in about 4 days, cuz I felt I was defeating the purpose. So I am going to try and not weight myself but once a week. As for exercise, I have not been doing as much as I should, there are some days when I just don't have the time to do anything. I am trying to walk on the treadmill here at work at 10 and 2 everyday for like 20min. But there are just some days when I cannot get to it. I went out this past weekend and bought a new Recumbent bike one with programs, so I hope this will help. Now just to use it, since my old one collected dust along with the treadmill in my garage and the palates machine in my bedroom.

I had my first fill today. I have a total of 5cc's in the 14cc band. There was a total of 3 cc's when the band was put in place on November the 2nd. I also have lost 11 more lbs. I was so worried that I gained it all back because I have been hungry all the time for the last 2 weeks but now I can feel the restriction kinda like when I got out of surgery so I am looking forward to dropping more weight.

How are you? i have not gotten back here in a few days with things just being so hectic!! It's one errand after another, gifts to buy, wrap, etc! Funm but exhausting! I try to keep busy so that I dont think about eating. I find I do so much better at work where I am preoccupied, and not think much about food. It's the weekends that get me. But like I said, I try to keep busy and not stay home so I don't sit around and eat.

Today is one of those stay at home, rainy days, so I anticipate doing a lot of cleaning and wrapping to keep my busy!

Deb, when are you going for your fill? I have my next appt on the 21st, but don't know if they plan to give me a fill or not. I am hoping they will. Otherwise, I will be doomed at X-Mas! I'd rather have a fill before, so that I am not so tempted to gorge myself!

How is everyone else doing??

Well, I'm relieve to know I'm not the only person who isn't completely crazy about the 'new' posting system!

I had my fill (4 cc's) today. It was not bad...a little stick when the needle went into the port, but otherwise no biggie. I'm on liquids for a couple of days, then mushies, and so on...just to give my body time to adjust. The doctor was very happy with the weight loss so far, but I would love to have a little more restriction headed into the holidays, as you note, so from my perspective, the timing is good. My daughter commented on how careful I've been in eating...and it's true. The nutrition lessons have helped...I take much smaller portions and eat slowly...I've fallen into the chips and dip bin (my Achilles Heel) a couple of times, but much less than before surgery, and when that's happened, I've eaten many fewer chips than I would have pre-surgery. So I feel like it's all working...one step at a time.

Best,

Deb WS

weight.png

Did you feel pain afterwards near your port?

I had a little soreness around my port after the procedure and I bruise easy so I have a black and blue stomach again over my port. I made it 48 hours on my full liquids and was brave enough last night to eat 2oz's of shaved ham and 1/4 cup of mashed potatos. Went to a christmas party at work yesterday at a resturant and had a cup of corn chowder, I could only eat the broth but accidently took a big drink of my iced tea and I thought I was going to throw up on the table. I can really tell a difference with the band filled compared to the 1.5 cc I had post op. I really have to be careful with drinking and eating. Chew, Chew and Chew more. Weighed my self today and down 3.3 lbs in 6days so the fill is working. Plus I am not feeling as hungry as I was, especially in the evenings. I know Christmas is going to be tuff, my family keeps asking, so what can you eat? That's a good question, depends on the day, the time of day and how I feel. Just going to travel with my Protein Drinks and make the best of it. Hope eveyone has a Merry Christmas and good luck over the holidays.

Well, I'm relieve to know I'm not the only person who isn't completely crazy about the 'new' posting system!

I had my fill (4 cc's) today. It was not bad...a little stick when the needle went into the port, but otherwise no biggie. I'm on liquids for a couple of days, then mushies, and so on...just to give my body time to adjust. The doctor was very happy with the weight loss so far, but I would love to have a little more restriction headed into the holidays, as you note, so from my perspective, the timing is good. My daughter commented on how careful I've been in eating...and it's true. The nutrition lessons have helped...I take much smaller portions and eat slowly...I've fallen into the chips and dip bin (my Achilles Heel) a couple of times, but much less than before surgery, and when that's happened, I've eaten many fewer chips than I would have pre-surgery. So I feel like it's all working...one step at a time.

Best,

Deb WS

weight.png

Hey Deb, Looks like we are on the same schedule for fills. I had mine 3 days ago and it does make a difference. I was glad to have it done now, I was really worried about the holidays also. The weekend before the fill I was able to eat a Jr. Roast Beef Sandwish from Arbys so I knew I needed a fill, didn't have a problem with the bread at all. The 5cc he left in my band have already made a difference. I have noticed I have to be very careful even with drinking or it will come back up. food has always been a big part of our Christmas celebration, so I am just going to have to start some new traditions. Hope your holidays go well, best of luck and Merry Christmas!

I had my first fill 4 days ago today and after the fill I went to lap band web sit and watched the video on the first 4-6 weeks post op surgery. I guess I should have watched it sooner because it gave me some info I really didn't know. On the video it stated that during our first 4-6 weeks after surgery we really should not be losing large amounts of weight that this was the healing time and really should not expect to fill the full effects of the band until after our first fill. I wish the doctors office would have explained this better. I think I spent my first month and a half dieting, I did have some restriction but after about 3 weeks I was starving by the end of the day and found it hard not to snack. I found I was controling more than my band. So any of you that have not had a fill yet, watch the videos on the lapband.com it does help and gives you some idea of what you should be expecting. Until we are in our "Sweet Spot" of restriction, we will fill hungry and still have to control what we eat. I have decided this is an evolution and over time it will get better. Taking it one day at a time here in SC. Merry Christmas to all, hope your holidays are filled with family and lots of joy! Diane

Hey Deb, Looks like we are on the same schedule for fills. I had mine 3 days ago and it does make a difference. I was glad to have it done now, I was really worried about the holidays also. The weekend before the fill I was able to eat a Jr. Roast Beef Sandwich from Arbys so I knew I needed a fill, didn't have a problem with the bread at all. The 5cc he left in my band have already made a difference. I have noticed I have to be very careful even with drinking or it will come back up. food has always been a big part of our Christmas celebration, so I am just going to have to start some new traditions. Hope your holidays go well, best of luck and Merry Christmas!

Great to hear from you!

I have to say: I lasted on a liquid diet for two meals...and then, partly because I was in the middle of catering a large cocktail party and not able to stop at all, I had a small amount of cellophane noodles with peanut sauce and a couple of small chunks of chicken. All chewed slowly and thoroughly...but still, it wasn't liquids!!! I half-expected there to be a problem, but there was no problem at all! (My doctor did not put any saline in the band during the surgery, so this fill - 4 cc's -- was the first one for me). Last night I had a small (less than 2 oz.) serving of pork tenderloin, 1/4 c. mashed potatoes, and a couple of pieces of glazed carrots..

What I have noticed is less hunger...less appetite. What I have not noticed is discomfort, or anything getting stuck (thank goodness!). I don't know if this is because I am intent on not 'pushing it' with food, or for some other reason...but so far, it seems to be working, and I've dropped another 2 lbs. since the doctor's visit! As far as I'm concerned, Christmas has come early this year. As I keep saying, "all I feel is gratitude."

Best,

Deb WS

weight.png

I made it 6 weeks post op! I am officially down 20 pounds from my weight on surgery day!

I had my first fill on Monday - I got 5cc at once, as my band was completely empty. I feel minor restriction though, not much, which I found disappointing. It'll come in time though.

My surgery gave me an unexpected side-effect it seems. I stopped biting my nails. I have bitten my nails since I was in the 2nd grade - so nearly 30 years later, I have finally stopped!

I have to apologize, as my last post was very miserable -- I was still just several days post op and was feeling awful. I feel pretty good now. :)

I think I'm going to go make a ticker :)

I hope everyone is doing well!

Had my first fill today. 4cc. was empty before this. Other than the injection site that took 3 attempts i dont feel any different. I was expecting to have a little tightness around the chest, like i did right after surgery. I have been hungary but not that much. i had a 20oz juice for lunch and then 8 oz of milk. They both went down with no problems. The surgeon says "you're a small guy so it'll take some fills to get there!" i told him that he was the only person to ever call me small. Small person getting bariatric surgery??? its all relative, I guess. The surgeon also thoght that it may be a week or so before i feel the restriction.