Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey February 2010 Bandsters!

I noticed a lot of people were able to drink milk and eat milk products on their diets. My Dr. strictly forbade that, saying that milk in all varieties(regular, soy, rice etc) were high in calories and could cause weight gain. I've been mixing my Protein shakes with Water, which taste alright when you throw in a few pieces of frozen fruit.

Michelle from Washington

My doc told me skim milk was okay to use with my shakes, but not to choose it any other time, which hasn't been difficult, as I HATE skim milk! :redface:

As for your previous post about your concern as to whether 5 days would be enough time for you to be off work. For ME, I remember being 5 or 6 days post op, and wondering how on earth some of these folks were going back to work. I was soooo thankful that I stay home. I do homeschool, and I began doing that again on the 5th day, but I don't think I did a great job. I was still kind of woozy from the pain meds (beware of the pain meds - they cause constipation), and still felt like crap.

On the other hand....other people seem to feel just fine after 2 or 3 days! Why couldn't I be one of those??!! lol...I think it just depends on how your body reacts to the surgery. For me, this surgery was the harder on me than my tubal or any other surgery I've had. For others, this surgery was easier. Everybody's different. Just listen to your body - and don't be afraid to ask your doc even the silliest of questions. :) Good luck!! :redface:

I also hate skim milk but i found this skim milk with added Protein that taste like 2%. it is faboulous!!!!!! Maybe that will make it easier for you. i know it has helped me!!!

I'm Banded! Still doesn't seem real. The gas is really painful, the incisions only really hurt when I'm getting up or laying down. Hopefully by Tuesday I will feel more normal.

#1. Surgery date? 2/25/2010

#2. State you live in? Florida

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr. Wilfred Aguila/Memorial Hospital

#4. Insurance or self pay? Insurance + Out of pocket cost

#5. Age and height 34/5'

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 261/130

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? Just tired of being overweight!

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? YES!

#8. Concerns and questions?

Holy Cow!!! I thought for sure I was going to be a March bandster, but due to a timely cancellation, and the fact that I've been on the preop regimen since late January, my surgery was moved up to THIS FRIDAY!!!

Surgery date: 26 February

State you live in: West Virginia; moving to Florida this fall

Doctor/Surgery Center: Dr. Stephen McKenna/Frederick Memorial Hospital (Frederick, MD)

Insurance or self-pay: Insurance. So far, I've had just a few $10 copays.

Age/height: 50/5'6"

Current weight/goal weight: 280/175

Deciding factor: Want to improve my health/quality of life. Looking forward to no more meds!

Support by Family/Friends: Absolutely! Add on my co-workers, too- my company has been absolutely fantastic in their support!

Concerns/questions: I've never had major surgery before, so I'm a little spooked about that. These forums have been a tremendous source of information and support.

Looking forward to being a POST-OP poster!

Holy Cow!!! I thought for sure I was going to be a March bandster, but due to a timely cancellation, and the fact that I've been on the preop regimen since late January, my surgery was moved up to THIS FRIDAY!!!

Doctor/Surgery Center: Dr. Stephen McKenna/Frederick Memorial Hospital (Frederick, MD)

Deciding factor: Want to improve my health/quality of life. Looking forward to no more meds!

Support by Family/Friends: Absolutely! Add on my co-workers, too- my company has been absolutely fantastic in their support!

Concerns/questions: I've never had major surgery before, so I'm a little spooked about that. These forums have been a tremendous source of information and support.

Hey! *sends many hugs* :frown: Remember... the nurses and doctors are going to be 100% for you in recovery and till you can walk out the door, you'll not be alone... any problem, any discomfort, nasua, anything.... you tell them and they will help! And the best way to get over the surgery is to get out of the hospital bed and walk as fast as you can. :sad: Even if that walk is just to go to the bathroom... just get up and move yourself, it'll wake your body up fast.

Yeah, there's problems, and it's totally natural to be spooked about them... but remember, you are in a hospital with all resources at hand and every special kind of surgeon just down the hall so if anything goes wrong you're in the best place to be helped... and nothing will go wrong! As you're being put out, breathe and tell your body that it'll be okay, every nerve and cell knows your mind...

*sendsm ore hugs*

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and I was seriously scared like you were- two weeks ago it was the night before the surgery!

Keep talking and let us know how the recovery is going, and feel free to complain about anything big or small. Or tell us your stunned amazement as you recover faster than expected!

I'm a February 26th bandster, too! Let's keep in touch!!

Christine

Hey! *sends many hugs* :frown: Remember... the nurses and doctors are going to be 100% for you in recovery and till you can walk out the door, you'll not be alone... any problem, any discomfort, nasua, anything.... you tell them and they will help! And the best way to get over the surgery is to get out of the hospital bed and walk as fast as you can. :sad: Even if that walk is just to go to the bathroom... just get up and move yourself, it'll wake your body up fast.

Yeah, there's problems, and it's totally natural to be spooked about them... but remember, you are in a hospital with all resources at hand and every special kind of surgeon just down the hall so if anything goes wrong you're in the best place to be helped... and nothing will go wrong! As you're being put out, breathe and tell your body that it'll be okay, every nerve and cell knows your mind...

*sendsm ore hugs*

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and I was seriously scared like you were- two weeks ago it was the night before the surgery!

Keep talking and let us know how the recovery is going, and feel free to complain about anything big or small. Or tell us your stunned amazement as you recover faster than expected!

Thanks, Ses, I really appreciate the input...and the hugs!

Will keep you posted :-)

Hey everyone!!!! Thought I would touch base with all my FABULOUS funky bandsters! I am 5 days post op and believe it or not I am feeling great. Back to work today and down 6Lbs since Thursdays weigh in. My incisions are starting to get a little itchy and I am still pretty sore around my port area. I dont know which band my surgeon put in but I am almost guessing it may be the realize band bc I am so sore. I made it through the first 5 days only taking liquid tylenol so its not too bad. The worst part is the shifting gas...especially at night. Everytime I shift I feel it shift ugh! Hope everyone else is doing well!!!:frown::thumbup::sad:

Much <3

Erin

I'm Banded! Still doesn't seem real. The gas is really painful, the incisions only really hurt when I'm getting up or laying down. Hopefully by Tuesday I will feel more normal.

Congrats! Your officially a bandster! Hang in there - it gets better day by day.

Hi Fellow February Bandsters,

My surgery was on the 12th, things went really well, I had a hiatal hernia as it turns out- so that was taken care of at the same time, things were amazingly easy, some gas pains - but nothing Gas Xstrips and walking didn't take care of, I took a few pain pills and I'm back to work today. I'm eating mushies, the funny thing is when the hunger pains start they are really strong, I can only eat a little which is what this was all about so I guess great! So far I would say its all been worth it and I would do it all over again. I think realizing the first 3 days are about sleeping, drinking and walking helped me cope. Best advice is to do what your body is telling you to do. Good luck to everyone!

The doctor you are using is poorly rated, even by his own patients. You should look into other doctors. There are much better ones on Long Island. Try Dr. Brathwaite.

Hey everyone!!!! Thought I would touch base with all my FABULOUS funky bandsters! I am 5 days post op and believe it or not I am feeling great. Back to work today and down 6Lbs since Thursdays weigh in. My incisions are starting to get a little itchy and I am still pretty sore around my port area. I dont know which band my surgeon put in but I am almost guessing it may be the realize band bc I am so sore. I made it through the first 5 days only taking liquid tylenol so its not too bad. The worst part is the shifting gas...especially at night. Everytime I shift I feel it shift ugh! Hope everyone else is doing well!!!:frown::thumbup::sad:

Much <3

Erin

Hi Erin. I got moved into March. My surgeon is suggesting the Realize Band. Do you think that one causes more pain than the others. I still have time to change my mind.

Chris- I'm getting mine on 2/26, too! And I used to live in Frederick, MD(went to college there, too.)

I can't wait!! :frown:

jen

#1. Surgery date? 2/04/2010

#2. State you live in? Iowa

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr. Kirschenbaum, Crown Point Surgical Center, Denver, CO

#4. Insurance or self pay? Self-pay

#5. Age and height 32/5'4"

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 244/140

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? Want to get healthy and lose weight!

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? Most

#8. Concerns and questions? Not today anyway.......

weight.png