Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey February 2010 Bandsters!

I'm banned. In my room now. Just got back from my first walk.A little sore but not to bad.I'm posting this with my blackberry hope it works

Congrats!!!

Guest LessOfMe_NYC

hi everyone! i'm a bit late to the party but was recently banded and am so excited and motivated, and hope to learn great tips from you all. here's my scoop:

#1. Surgery date? february 11, 2010

#2. State you live in? new york, NY

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? NYU, with the fabulous dr. kurian

#4. Insurance or self pay? luckily insurance covered it

#5. Age and height 39, 5'4"

#6. Current weight and goal weight? start 225, now 206, goal is 125

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? joint pain, high blood pressure, lack of energy and ability to enjoy exercise and sports...and on the vanity front, a desire to look better in clothes!

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? absolutely...i've told everyone from family, friends and clients to my doorman and manicurist [hey, it's nyc, so both count as close personal friends!]. the support, encouragement and the fact that my friends are "monitoring me" has been so important. also, one of my parents was banded a week after me so we are going through this together!

#8. Concerns and questions?

• any favorite food-tracking web sites you can recommend?
  • i feel like my stomach is still swollen from surgery - i call it my 'beach ball' - how long til it 'deflates'?

thanks and good luck to everyone embarking on this exciting journey!

#1. Surgery date? 2-16-2010

#2. State you live in? Louisiana

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr. Norwood, Willis Knighton Medical Center

#4. Insurance or self pay? Insurance

#5. Age and height 37, 5'3"

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 230/219.6/132

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? tired of back pain and being tired all the time

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? yes

#8. Concerns and questions? port pain

.......................and anything else you would like to add!

Edited by kimwash71112
left something out

I hope your surgery goes well too! Mine went great! I was basnded on the 16th, came back to work on the 18th. I only took Tylenol. I have lost 11.4 lbs. I feel great! Wish I had done it sooner!

Hey Kim! I'm not far from you at all!! I'm in Texarkana, and I just had my surgery on the 10th. We go to Shreveport a lot...my kiddos love the Boardwalk! :wink: Good luck with your journey - let me know if you ever need a buddy!

I live 10 minutes from the Boardwalk! My girls love to go there! Where did you have your surgery? How are you doing so far? I am so pleased with mine, except for the pain around the port area. I will be glad to be your "Buddy". Great to hear from you!

I'm home. My whole experience has been pretty good. Arrived at the hospital at 5:10am. Was took back to the pre op room at 5:25 had to wash down with these anti-bacterial pads. Then changed in to my gown had my stockings and boots put on for blood clot control. Then had a shot in the stomach of heparin, stomach was shaved. Surgeon and Anesthesiologist came and saw me. Wheeled me back to surgery about 7:20 Had me slide over on to the table and fastened my arms down, put a oxygen mask on my face had me take some deep breathes then said they were going to give me medicine to make me sleep. Next thing I know I was waking up in recovery. The nurse said I had my band and a hiatal hernia repaired. They gave me some morphine and anti nausea medicine. Was transferred up to my room about 10:00

Went on my first walk at noon did two laps around the ward. They have it measured off 26 laps around is a mile The day of surgery I did a total of 18 laps. They got me up the next morning at 5:30 said my surgeon required all patients had to be out of bed and walking by 6 am. My surgeon came in at 7am and said I was doing fine and I could go home. It took the nurse until 10am to get my paper work done. Then we walked out. My pain hasn't been to bad. I really think the walking helps. Actually the ride home was probably the most pain I have been in. This Indiana roads are not the smoothest after a long winter. Some pillows for the ride home helps. I have had very little gas pain. Well that's my story hope it helps anyone who is still to be banded. Good luck everyone.

I live 10 minutes from the Boardwalk! My girls love to go there! Where did you have your surgery? How are you doing so far? I am so pleased with mine, except for the pain around the port area. I will be glad to be your "Buddy". Great to hear from you!

Yes, we have to go often just to stop by Build a Bear!! I can't wait for this spring when it's a little warmer - we'll be there a lot - good exercise for me! I had my surgery here in Texarkana - by Dr. Hekier. Only a couple of problems so far - but I'm healing well. I go back for my 2 week follow up tomorrow at 3pm. I'm a little nervous, but excited! :wink:

Went to my 2 wk post op appt. - everything is great. Incisions look good and only bother me if a waist band rubs them the wrong way. No port pain at all.

My biggest concern was the pain in my shoulder that most bandsters get over in a week or so. It was good to know that the pain in my shoulder is experienced by approx. 5% of their patients up to 6 weeks. I have hope it's going to go away! Besides that it's been a relativly easy ride.

The first week I was "full" on half a popsicle or half a Jello but now the hungry monster is back and I have to pay attention to what i eat or I could go overboard. I was released to try everything so they know how aggressive to be with the first fill. If I can handle all types of food then they will give me more of a fill - if I'm getting stuck or that full sensation on a cup or less they will only give me a little bit of a fill. This makes sense but I'm afraid of bread and red meat......isn't that funny!

I just had my surgery yesterday and am doing ok. My doctor put in 2 cc's in my band, so I already have a little restricition in there to tide me over until my first follow up appointment where I will get another fill on March 17th. I'm hoping that having a little bit of fill will help stave off the hugries in a few weeks. At this point I have NO hunger at all and have been forcing myself to drink my protien shakes and Jello today. The gas pains have been a bit much and the pain in my insicions is not anything I can't handle with the help of some Lortab elixir.

Best of luck to everyone!

Went to my 2 wk post op appt. - everything is great. Incisions look good and only bother me if a waist band rubs them the wrong way. No port pain at all.

My biggest concern was the pain in my shoulder that most bandsters get over in a week or so. It was good to know that the pain in my shoulder is experienced by approx. 5% of their patients up to 6 weeks. I have hope it's going to go away! Besides that it's been a relativly easy ride.

The first week I was "full" on half a popsicle or half a Jello but now the hungry monster is back and I have to pay attention to what i eat or I could go overboard. I was released to try everything so they know how aggressive to be with the first fill. If I can handle all types of food then they will give me more of a fill - if I'm getting stuck or that full sensation on a cup or less they will only give me a little bit of a fill. This makes sense but I'm afraid of bread and red meat......isn't that funny!

lol I have the hungry beast too now. And they want me to start the 2 weeks of pureed (2 weeks liqued, 2 weeks pureed, 2 weeks mushy/wet...) but I feel so ready for something heavier already, like scrambled eggs or something.

*breathes, tries to stay patient*

They won't fill me for about a month. hehe

No, that makes sense! Bread and red meat are the hardest to eat! I know that it's unique for everyone but for me, untoasted bread was okay... if it had something like eggs on it... but toasted bread (unless it had egg or something on it) and red meats (except mince) was really really hard to deal with. If I were you, I'd hold off on those two beasts >.>

Also, peas and corn were hard for me.

Yay that you're healing! Hopefully the gas will go soon :wink:

Well this is it! Have to be at hospital at 7:30 in the morning and surgery at 9:00! I'm so excited I probably wont sleep until they put me out! LOL! I'm really glad that I found this site as each one your comments and experiences has really been helpful to me! Good Luck to all the 25th bandsters:tongue:

Well this is it! Have to be at hospital at 7:30 in the morning and surgery at 9:00! I'm so excited I probably wont sleep until they put me out! LOL! I'm really glad that I found this site as each one your comments and experiences has really been helpful to me! Good Luck to all the 25th bandsters:tongue:

good luck Red! i have to be there at 8:30 in the morning. but i dont have a definite surgery time yet. im sure youll do great! :wink:

Best of luck and sending prayers to all being banded tomorrow.

Joyce

good luck Red! i have to be there at 8:30 in the morning. but i dont have a definite surgery time yet. im sure youll do great! :smile2:

My best wishes and prayers to you as well tomorrow. We'll have to compare notes when it over!:)