Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey February 2010 Bandsters!

Are you having surgery in February? Lets start a thread and keep in touch!

Answer the questions you are comfortable with and we will get to know eachother a little better.

#1. Surgery date?

#2. State you live in?

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center?

#4. Insurance or self pay?

#5. Age and height

#6. Current weight and goal weight?

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery?

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends?

#8. Concerns and questions?

.......................and anything else you would like to add!

We all know this is going to be a long road and we will all handle things differently so let's be there for eachother and make this journey a little easier!

Here I go!

#1. Surgery date? February 8th, 2010

#2. State you live in? Michigan

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr. Nizzi - Grand Traverse Surgery

#4. Insurance or self pay? Insurance (out of pocket $2,400)

#5. Age and height? 38 and 5'7

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 282 and 170 goal

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? Health mainly - High blood pressure, joint pain and limitations on what I can do physically. For myself and my family - I need to feel better, be more active and be in pictures again. You wouldn't know I was at numerous family gatherings or vacations if you just looked at the pictures from those events. I take them - I'm not in them.

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? Yes. I'm lucky that way. I've told my close family members and close friends - all are supportive and I know will be there for me.

#8. Concerns and questions? Yes, lots - but I'm naturally a worrier.

For instance:

I gag when I brush my teeth - will this hurt my band?

I have allergies year round - will the drainage (sometimes a little - sometimes a lot!) affect my band or my ability to eat, swallow, etc...?

I hate thick drinks and am worried I will eventually get sick just thinking of a Protein drink! Yuck!

Thanks for listening and good luck!

Edited by Northern Mist
spelling!

#1. Surgery date: Friday feb 26th

#2. State you live in: Australia

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center:

#4. Insurance or self pay: Private health care, $2,500

#5. Age and height: 25 and 165cm

#6. Current weight and goal weight: 116kgs : 65kgs

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery: What wasn't really??!!

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends: Have kept it very quiet, only partner,mother,sister and 2 close mates know.

#8. Concerns and questions: I think i know a bit. From friends having this done.

.......................and anything else you would like to add! : Yep i cant wait, 8 weeks until i start the shakes, 10 weeks till surgery.

:willy_nilly:

#1. Surgery date? 02-19-10

#2. State you live in? New Jersey

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr Reich

#4. Insurance or self pay? Insurance

#5. Age and height 32 5"2"

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 228 150

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? I have been yo-yo dieting for years I'm tired of my weight going up and down.

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? Yes only told my mom and hubby

#8. Concerns and questions? I'm just scared of failing

I'm excited about this new road I'm embarking on - to have people to talk to going through the same thing is priceless!

Well, here goes,

Answer the questions you are comfortable with and we will get to know eachother a little better.

#1. Surgery date? 2/15

#2. State you live in? Massachusetts

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center?

#4. Insurance or self pay? Insurance

#5. Age and height

#6. Current weight and goal weight?

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery?

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends?

#8. Concerns and questions? I am concerned that I am making a decision that I will regret.

We all know this is going to be a long road and we will all handle things differently so let's be there for eachother and make this journey a little easier!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"#8. Concerns and questions? I am concerned that I am making a decision that I will regret."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Justplainbatty -

I think we all have that in the back of our minds with every major life decision. This is our bodies and we are not in complete control of the outcome - it's scary.

I have confidence in my surgeon and his team. I have a great primary care physician. With out these things - I'm not sure I would be a comfortable with my decision either.

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook because I believe this makes a big difference.

Having the combined knowledge of everyone on this site and reading the "Day of surgery" stories and the "Before and Afters" has helped a lot.

Good luck and keep in touch - we are there for you too.

Edited by Northern Mist
added quote

Hi Northern Mist, It sounds like you are very confident that everything will work out. I wish I had your positive outlook. I am doing this because I know I have to. I have been kidding myself for years that I will lose weight but it never happened. My daughter had a gastric bypass a few years ago. It did change her life but it is not all good. I will not change the anatomy of my body. I guess I am angry with myself that I am even doing this. Does that sound strange? Anyway, keep the faith. We both have a long journey ahead of us.

I am angry with myself too - I know I've done damage to myself that I may not ever be able to reverse. I can't understand why I'm not strong enough to lose this weight on my own.

I know there's a small chance of things not going perfectly or that I may not adjust well to the band - but I am 100% positive I will continue to gain weight, my blood pressure will get worse, I will have some form of Diabetes and die (to early) of some obesity related disease if i don't do this.

I am angry because I have failed to take care of myself the way I should have. I am angry my daughter may have picked up on my poor Portion Control and grazing habits.

I have a chance at turning things around and I don't want to regret not taking control and doing something about it.

I have to be positive and think of the future and what may be.

Aytime you need to vent or help over a hurdle I'll do my best to help and listen - we all need support. Support can come in many different ways. Counseling may be a good option if you can afford it or support can even come from strangers :)

#1. Surgery date? Paperwork being submitted to insurance on January 6th. I was told it should be approved and surgery date will probably be in February.

#2. State you live in? Texas

#3. Doctor/Surgery Center? Dr David Kim

#4. Insurance or self pay? Aetna

#5. Age and height? 45 / 5'8

#6. Current weight and goal weight? 314 / 170

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? Midlife crisis and didn't enjoy the heart attack.

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? It is nobody's business but mine.

#8. Concerns and questions? The same one everyone has has. Will it actually work. We mostly hear from the successes around here. Are they the majority or minority?

Trying not to get sucked into the "last meal" mentality and thinking this is the last holiday I'll be able to eat....... Sooo hard not to gain weight this time of year!

Think of it this way: for every extra calorie you eat, it will take that much longer to burn it off.

I wasn't tempted on thanksgiving and I don't think xmas will be any harder.

Have a great time with your friends and family today!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

hello there

#1. 1 Feb 2010

#2. Melbourne, Australia

#3. Dr Frydenberg - Epworth

#4. Insurance - $4,800 out of pocket

#5. 27 y.o. 172 cms

#6. Current weight 128kg (282pounds) and goal weight 70kg (150 pounds)

#7. What was your deciding factor for having this surgery? I want to have children in the next few years and would prefer a risk free pregnancy. Also just totally over hating my body

#7. Do you have the support of family and friends? Yes! My partner and family v supportive

#8. Concerns and questions? Just worried that it wont work - if this doesn't work for me, what will????

I'm absorbing all the info. and hoping I put it to good use. I'm hoping I am one of the people that can keep their band loose enough to drink ok and not have acid reflux. It seems if you go too tight there's a whole set of other problems you have to deal with.

I'm hoping I can get off my high blood press. meds and my knees will let up a bit in the pain department!

It's going to be MY tool and I'm going to use it the proper way! This is the only thing I have ever spent this kind of money on (besides car and house) and I have to make it work or I will have incredible guilt. It's only $2400 out of pocket but that a lot of bills paid off!

Here's to a New Year and getting healthier!