Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Hey JMEGIRL, I was also banded 11/5/08. I started out at 265 and have lost 27 lbs. so far, 15 pre-op. My surgery went great. I think my doctor and staff made all the difference. I started gas-x and pain meds as soon as I got home from the hospital per my doctors orders. I ended up not experiencing either types of pain. I had a little soreness at the port site and a heating pad helped that .

At my 2 week check-up my doctor asked if I was able to eat all the mushies with no restriction. I could and therefore this meant the swelling was gone and I was healed for the most part. Scar tissue had to keep forming but I could start eating solids as long as it was tried 1 at a time and chewed very well. Still nothing though (steak) or stringy. I have been able to eat turkey, ground meat, roast, ham and all the trimmings. Everything goes down well and I have never gotten stuck or a full feel. I eat out of my little boys infant plate and use his buzz lightyear infant spoon . This way I know im taking small bites. It was so nice once I got to eat real food, especially through Thanksgiving.

I had my 1st. fill yesturday. It was a breeze. I was very nervous but my doctor joked with me the whole time and after a little prick to numb me he did the fill and the entire thing took about 3 min. I have 1 day of clear liq., 1 day of full then back to regular foods. All in all this has been a great experience and I owe it all to a great doctor and staff who left no stone unturned as far as educating me and holding my hand through this entire procedure and aftercare.:biggrin:

Hey JMEGIRL, I was also banded 11/5/08. I started out at 265 and have lost 27 lbs. so far, 15 pre-op. My surgery went great. I think my doctor and staff made all the difference. I started gas-x and pain meds as soon as I got home from the hospital per my doctors orders. I ended up not experiencing either types of pain. I had a little soreness at the port site and a heating pad helped that .

At my 2 week check-up my doctor asked if I was able to eat all the mushies with no restriction. I could and therefore this meant the swelling was gone and I was healed for the most part. Scar tissue had to keep forming but I could start eating solids as long as it was tried 1 at a time and chewed very well. Still nothing though (steak) or stringy. I have been able to eat turkey, ground meat, roast, ham and all the trimmings. Everything goes down well and I have never gotten stuck or a full feel. I eat out of my little boys infant plate and use his buzz lightyear infant spoon . This way I know im taking small bites. It was so nice once I got to eat real food, especially through Thanksgiving.

I had my 1st. fill yesturday. It was a breeze. I was very nervous but my doctor joked with me the whole time and after a little prick to numb me he did the fill and the entire thing took about 3 min. I have 1 day of clear liq., 1 day of full then back to regular foods. All in all this has been a great experience and I owe it all to a great doctor and staff who left no stone unturned as far as educating me and holding my hand through this entire procedure and aftercare.:biggrin:

Thank goodness! They numb you!!! You don't know how great that is to read!!! I'm so bothered by needles - my skin is crawling just thinking about it. :) I hope my doctor cracks jokes to take my mind off of the whole thing! Keep me posted about how your fill treats you (do you get restriction, etc) because I'm anxious to know if this first fill will be a good one! I have to travel halfway across the country for my fills, so this thing better last more than 2 days, hahah!

Just hopping on the November "banded" wagon! I was Banded 11/25 and have 2 weeks off from work. Starting to get my energy back, sick of liquid diet but happy no complications:) My doctor has been great, & my family is so supportive. I just keep thinking, this time next year I will be soo healthy & happy!

:biggrin:

Thank goodness! They numb you!!! You don't know how great that is to read!!! I'm so bothered by needles - my skin is crawling just thinking about it. :biggrin: I hope my doctor cracks jokes to take my mind off of the whole thing! Keep me posted about how your fill treats you (do you get restriction, etc) because I'm anxious to know if this first fill will be a good one! I have to travel halfway across the country for my fills, so this thing better last more than 2 days, hahah!

I just ate some Cream of Broccoli Soup and it went down fine without any restriction. He put in 2 1/2 cc's for my 1st. fill. My doctor did say that he has found it usually takes 2-3 fills before it is tweeked just right. I hope your doctor is as gentle as mine. I have passed out before just by seeing the needles. He makes everything go so smooth. I am so lucky I happened to pick the perfect doctor for me. I needed someone who would be compationate and not just walk in and out the room . I wanted someone to treat me like an individual and not just another paying customer. I found it. It maked all the difference.

Formyboys, thanks for the post re: the fill I go on the 18th and I was so nervous on how the fill was going to go. I'm suprised no one has that video taped yet for everyone to see. Are things a little tighter noe for you?

Formyboys, thanks for the post re: the fill I go on the 18th and I was so nervous on how the fill was going to go. I'm suprised no one has that video taped yet for everyone to see. Are things a little tighter noe for you?

I really can't tell yet because I had to stay on Clear Liquids yesturday and full today. Tomorrow I can start real food again and then I should be able to tell. I ate cream Soup earlier but it just ran through the band appparently because I didn't feel anything.

I really can't tell yet because I had to stay on clear liquids yesturday and full today. Tomorrow I can start real food again and then I should be able to tell. I ate cream Soup earlier but it just ran through the band appparently because I didn't feel anything.

I was told that once you're completely healed, avoiding Soups is a good idea, for that very reason - they just run right through and you don't get any satisfaction. But the day after a fill, soup is obviously what you have to eat - understood. Just avoid soups when you're not "healing", unless of course it's chili or some really hearty soup that has lots of stuff in it. Same story for ice cream, high calorie drinks (like Starbucks :cursing: ) - all those should pretty much be off limits because you don't get "full" on them.

I seem to have forgotten what it was like to be on liquids. It has just been 1 day because of my fill and I am starving. I feel like I could eat a horse. I get regular food tomorrow but it seems like forever. I don't know how these people do it that have to stay on liquids for weeks or even a month. My doctor said that is so unrealistic to expect from a person. He said the main thing is the first 2 weeks for healing . After that he is not going to kill his patients just to get a giant weight loss out of them. It is more important that we get food and feel full and happy. Not to starve for a month if it is not necessary. At my 2 week check-up I was able to eat everything except steak ,stringy things and have kept loosing without starving myself. If I can just get through today i'll be okay.

Also, how far do you have to go to get your fill? Did you try to find someone in your area?

I'm in NC, and I traveled to Denver, CO in order to have surgery. My insurance would not cover me as I was a 39 BMI with no comorbidities. So we were forced to self-pay. The doctor in Denver charges a flat $9,950 for everything (not including hotel/airfare) and the cheapest I found locally was $23,000! So, I flew to Denver for my surgery.

I could go to Fill Centers USA for my aftercare, they are about a 3hr drive from my home. But they are so expensive that it's actually cheaper to buy a roundtrip ticket to Denver every other month and get a free fill from my own surgeon! How crazy is that?

That is really crazy , but hey people go to Mexico and get this done all the time, which blows my mind. I am also self pay and my doctor also includes 1 year free fill for $10,000. I just hope you never have an emergency. That would be scary. But at least you were able to get it done. We are really lucky to have this chance to change our lives.

I have been banded for 12 days and things are going great! It is so weird how the Dr.s have us all doing different things. I was on clear liquids and 3 myocel shakes a day for the first 10 days, then yesterday I went onto mushy foods, like Soups, mashed potatoes, eggs, etc.. I left the hospital with Fluid already in my band and I go for my first fill on Dec. 16th. Did anyone else leave the hospital with fluid in their band? I look forward to talking to you all and seeing everyone's success!!:cursing:

Did anyone else leave the hospital with Fluid in their band? I look forward to talking to you all and seeing everyone's success!!:cursing:

My doctor told me she placed and left 3ccs in my band at the time of surgery. I have great restriction right now.B)

Yessss........ we are here in support of one another.