Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Well my husband is now running with me. He had been pushing me when I want to slow down. I got in 3 1/2 90 sec runs in my session today. I actually got through the first two with no problems. Not so much the last one. The backs of my thighs were tightening up so much I had to stop a couple times to stretch. I need to start warming up before I go out. It was tiring but it felt good getting it done and knowing I am that much further towards my goal.

I read this thread to help keep me motivated. I'm doing something similar to the c25k. Today I did 4-90sec runs with 90 secs in between. My husband went with me this morning but just for company, this is a lot slower/less than what he is used to.

I can't see getting past the 90 secs at a time right now. Next step up is to run 2:15:scared2:. But I read this thread and it helps to know that others started the same way I am. You guys/gals are an inspiration. Thanks.

Ruth

I have been running every other day but since I have done 3 runs this week I am taking 2 days off instead this week. I am completing the week 2 runs without problems now except this last run did a number on the knees. I wanna let them recover. I am going to continue biking and walking just not the impact of running. I will pick back up on Sunday

... She delivered baby Flint late Sunday night. It's truly the saddest thing I've ever experienced...

Georgia... my heart goes out to you and your family, especially your SIL. My prayers are with all of you!

Finished my first 10K this morning!!

Kristen... WTG!!! Congrats, that must have felt great!

Well, the doc said I have to have more surgery on my foot.

Suzanne, my fingers are crossed that this will fix everything. Glad you're able to continue to run for now. How long will you have to stay off your foot after the surgery?

I thought I was doing great because I was able to get through 2 run sequences of the 8 run sequence of the 1st wk. Now I feel really lame.

Mcrowder... don't feel lame, you're doing great and making all the right choices! Every step down this running path is a step to a healthier life!

I can't believe how long I've been MIA! It's been one of the busiest 2 weeks in a long long time. Still not slowing down yet, but I took a breather tonight. I've been crazy at work and the kids just finished the first 2 weeks at school and new babysitter.

So far, all's been great. My DS has transitioned amazingly well to his new school and daycare... oh I was so stressed about that... and my DD loves the new daycare. so I think I can breath a little easier with all of this.

I had been slacking off a bit lately on the running, using my busy schedule as an excuse. But started back at it more seriously this week. I've run 3x since Mon., and just finished a run now. I'm going to do my race route on Sun and do a couple of lighter runs Tue & Thur and then rest before my race on Sunday.

The race organizers called me to ask me to try and help them raise more funds. Apparently I'm one of the top fundraisers this year, which is great, but also sad since last year the top 3 fundraisers raised about $1500 each and so far I've raised $360. That's not bad for me, but its certainly not $1500. I guess the economic downturn is hitting the smaller charities pretty hard, and this race is just a week before our really big "Run for the Cure" race.

Morning everyone. So this past week I ran every other day so I got in 4 runs. I just started having some muscle pain on my inner knees so I am taking 2 days off to heal. I truely don't want to have an injury.

I will check in after next run in a few days. Good luck all!

Brandy~ Hope your knees are feeling better. Sometimes taking a couple days off is a good thing. I will usually have a really good run when I come back.

I just checked out that website and I am in on this. I will start on Monday. After getting my lapband surgery I have been hooked on working out. I am going to show this to my personal trainer on monday. I think I can do this. Thank you for posting this. Keep up the good work.

Hello my running friends... i feel like ive totally let go of this, and i don't like it. my aim is to get back to it asap. had a cortisone shot in my other foot this past thursday, but work has been so exhausting that i dont have any energy to run in the eves the way i like. hopefully with both feet having the shots and the advil im taking my feet will be resolving and at least when i have energy to run my feet won't hurt.

the not running has really affected my wt too. ive regained 5 lbs. my psyche is not in a good place either right now. I want to go for a walk tonite and maybe throw in some running, but hubby wants to go for a casual walk for "us time." still too hot to run daytime here. ugh im sick of my own excuses.

one positive note, the non banded friend of a friend who i turned on to c25k is on week 3 and we are trying to connect to go for a run together. by the time i can do it she'll proably be on week 4. she assumed that id be much more advanced than her. lmao. i told her that i need to step back and rebuild anyway, so we may be more evenly matched than she thinks.

wish me luck with my feet cuz im thinking that it may partially be my new (july) running shoes. :biggrin: my birthday is in a few weeks. maybe new new shoes. ill let yall know how i do getting back on the c25k running track and with my attitude adjustment. :}

TC,

Carol

today i ran my first 5k! i did the NY susan g. komen race for the cure in central park and finished in just under 33 minutes! i also raised more than $600, so i'm proud of two accomplishments there! i was running for my mom, who is currently going through radiation but recovering from her mastectomy surgery well.

but i definitely couldnt have run it without the help of the group in this thread, so thanks guys! i hope to do a more official race (aka timed!) soon! to think that only a few months ago I would be out of breath the first 20 feet, and today I only stopped for Water after 1.5 miles!

Congratulations LadySays on your 5K finish...I'm sure you felt that runner's high at the end. I'm looking at your progression and wanted to know if you were running when you was over 200?

Well my husband is now running with me. He had been pushing me when I want to slow down. I got in 3 1/2 90 sec runs in my session today. I actually got through the first two with no problems. Not so much the last one. The backs of my thighs were tightening up so much I had to stop a couple times to stretch. I need to start warming up before I go out. It was tiring but it felt good getting it done and knowing I am that much further towards my goal.

Five minutes of brisk walking should do the trick. Don't forget to cool down for five minutes as well as stretch after your run.

Congratulations LadySays on your 5K finish...I'm sure you felt that runner's high at the end. I'm looking at your progression and wanted to know if you were running when you was over 200?

Thank you! I was exercising when I was over 200lbs, but I don't think I was doing much running. In fact, I hated running. I was especially embarrassed running in front of other people, because I couldn't go longer than 15 seconds at a time. But I kept exercising and eating healthy and once I started the C25K program in May, I was about 190-195lbs. I haven't followed the program exactly and have just been doing what I am capable of and pushing myself, but obviously it has worked!

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

p.s to the thread.... now that I know I can run a 5k, I want to push myself even more. There's a turkey trot race I want to do where they have either a 5k or an 8-mile run. I hear that once you can run 3 miles you can run a marathon if you put your mind to it... so I think I could totally do 8 miles. Right? It's still a few months away!

so I've been doing the c25k, and I'm on week 7 which is the 25 minute running segments.... I'm really struggling with it. I usually run on the treadmill @ about a 4.5 pace but tried the track yesterday....so hard!...so I'm headed back to the treadmill today. Any advice to anyone and also....what pace do yall run on the treadmill? Thanks!

Georgia... my heart goes out to you and your family, especially your SIL. My prayers are with all of you!

Thank you Kathy. We appreciate the prayers.

Morning everyone. So this past week I ran every other day so I got in 4 runs. I just started having some muscle pain on my inner knees so I am taking 2 days off to heal. I truely don't want to have an injury.

I will check in after next run in a few days. Good luck all!

I hope you don't have an injury too. I agree with everyone else, sometimes a few days of rest does wonders. Rest up and get better.

so I've been doing the c25k, and I'm on week 7 which is the 25 minute running segments.... I'm really struggling with it. I usually run on the treadmill @ about a 4.5 pace but tried the track yesterday....so hard!...so I'm headed back to the treadmill today. Any advice to anyone and also....what pace do yall run on the treadmill? Thanks!

First, congratulations on your running success! Great job!

Running outside is MUCH harder than the treadmill for me too. The first time I did the c25k, I ran at a pace of 4.5 and eventually built up to a pace of 4.8. My suggestion would be to stay at 4.5 until you complete the c25k and then slowly start working on a faster pace. When I finished c25k, I bumped up to 4.6, then 4.7 and so on. You'll be surprised at how much of a diffence that little bit of increase will make.

You are doing great! Keep it up!!

I have my race tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. I haven't been running as diligently as I wanted to be at this point. But I did run the 5k last week and was able to do it, although I know I've lost some of my stamina... I can still do it. So my plan is to get back to a every 2nd day run... either inside or out, depending on the weather or time. I've allowed myself too much lattitude!

So my goal tomorrow is to 1) finish without walking at all, and 2) complete it in 43 min or less. Last year I ran it in 43:49, so I'd like to improve upon that, even though I know I could do much better if I was more consistant.

I went to my highschool reunion yesterday and today. It was my school's 40th anniversary, so all alumni were welcomed. I was quite involved in the music program when I was in school, and we were very good. We used to compete in major competitions all over the place - NY, Boston, Montreal, D.C. and it was just an amazing time. So they asked the alumni back to perform again along with current students, and my old music teacher came back to conduct. This guy is world famous as a Horn player and a teacher, and we were very fortunate to have him at our school.

It was a lot of fun... eventhough I haven't played in over 20 years... it was amazing how much I could still remember.

Kathy~ Good luck and go for it! The adrenalin will push you along during the race. Also, don't forget to have some fun!

Sounds like your reunion was fun! I was a band geek in high school - played the flute. I can't imagine even trying to play again, it has been sooo long!