Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

Carol~ Sorry to hear about your friend's mom, that is a tough situation. You should be there for your friend right now!

Of course you will be out there tomorrow, or I will be sending another fanny kickin' your direction!

Kathy~ Glad to help. I think we all need someone to be accountable to every once in awhile. I know that I do!!

I wasn't feeling the love to run this morning, but I got up and met my trail running group and I am glad that I did. We ran 5.5 miles today and I rocked it! The first 1.5 miles were not very fun, but then I just took off and nailed it. I even passed the middle of the pack coach and he was surprised to see me. I am not fast, but I am like the turtle - slow and steady!

I am excited for my 10K coming up in two weeks!

wow Kristen, thems some looooooong legs lady - u kicked my butt but good...lol.

My friend and his wife left about 7 pm, cuz they had a 3 hr trip ahead, so it left me with some time on my hands (feet actually). I went out about 7:45 intending to do that brisk walk, got about 1/2 way around the block with my little knee braces on. the knees didnt hurt, so i gave it a try. it felt so good to run after not running for 2 weeks. i managed to run just under 2 miles. basically i ran all the streets in my neighborhood, came home and plotted out the run on running ahead. i did as much as i could and feel like i accomplished something again. and except for the huge spider web i unknowingly ran into, it was exactly what i needed tonite. the stress relief was wonderful. Im gonna try to do the same thing on tuesday nite.

so Kristen thanks again. WTG on that trail run. u r gonna kick butt all the way to the finish when you do that 10k too!

I am new at this. I do walk but never run unless it is after my grandchildren. But I need to start losing weight so I thought I would try this. I like the idea of walking and running for a short period of time then building up. I hope I can keep it up. No, I am going to keep it up. I have read alot of these posts and they are so encouraging. Well off I go.:)

Suzanne~ Are you taking a day between runs or running every day? You might want to make sure you are getting at least one full day rest between. You might also try slowing down for one run and see if that helps too.

If it keeps bothering you, you might want to see the doc and see if he has any suggestions. You definitely don't want to create a new injury!

Good luck and keep us posted.

I normally take a day between runs, but find it is taking closer to 2 days to recover now. My knee, hip, and foot are all starting to complain.

I see my doctor next Friday, so I guess I'll push through these next two weeks so I'll have something concrete to report. Right now my foot feels about the same as when I started.

Well here I go ... again. I didn't give it a good enough attempt last time so I am gonna try hard. Reading up right now on a good pair of running shoes thats 1/2 the battle.

Stuck at a plateau and gonna mix this up and get it going again.

Ok I am lost, I am not cleared to do real exercize untill next week, but I would like to try this. a friend sent me a link for couch to 5k and It sounded good and I did it for two days and then back to my wicked ways. Now post op I am looking for a way to jump start my weight loss. How ever I do have some joint issues and I was never what you would call an atheleet. So how do you keep motivated? I have found that the last umpteenmillion times I have started a program the gym works better than out doors, but after what ever time period I stop going. I told my husband we were going to try out a few gyms next week and he is behind me 100% but how do I get on my own team?

Any wisdome would be awsome. Thanks

Banded 08/05/09

For me it was seeing results. When I was dieting before my band and trying to work out I never saw results of my workouts. Sure I felt better, but zero changes in my body so I always ended up giving up.

I actually didn't exercise post band until I had lost a significant amount of my weight. I decided to wait until I got stuck and then use the exercise to push to the next level. I HATE the gym, arobic tapes, bikes, etc. So I tried C25K. By the time I reached week 9, I have to admit, I didn't lose any more weight, but I was in a size SIX and my stomach was getting so much flatter.

I was so motivated, the more I ran, the more amazing I looked and felt. Then I had to have surgery on my foot and the flab came back so fast and I had to go back to my size 8's. I'm still having foot problems, but the doc is letting me run on it for now to see how it does. I may need more surgery, but much to my delight, I am OBSESSED with being able to run again, because I want that body back!

That's just me....:frown:

Also, I liked the way C25K was structured and I liked being on a set schedule, not wanting fall behind kept me going. Another great motivator is to sign up for a 5k race in your area and then train for it!

Best of luck and congrats on getting your band.

Edited by SuzanneG

I did pretty much the same as Suzanne. I lost my first 50 lbs in year one post band, with no changes except for food. Then I hit a bit of a plateau so started running just over a year ago. The weight came off fairly slowly, but not the sizes. When I started running I was a size 20, now I'm a size 12-14 depending on the cut.

The motivation wasn't too hard. I just found I loved the feeling I got with running. It took about 7-8 weeks before I actually liked running WHILE I was running instead of just afterwards, but once I hit that, I was hooked.

I have joint problems too, so I know my limit is about 6-7 km or so. I'd like to do one 10k race, but not yet.

I'm 3 weeks away from my next run, and training hard now. I want to beat last years time.

I just finished my first day of the C25K. I thought it was going to kill me but I made it through. I am not a runner so this was a real challenge. I thought I could do it since it is interval training. I think it is going to take me a little longer on the first week so I can get up to running every time you are suppose to run. I have to do this. I am past my anniversary and havn't kept off the first 10 lbs. I was never a big eater so my eating habits havn't changed just what I eat. The Dr says I really need to get into some sweating exercise. The exercise I was doing before was to casual (his words) it did't feel that way. Well I am doing the sweating now. I have got to keep this up to get where I want to be. Any suggestions?

Edited by mcrowder

Hello everyone! I am happy to report that I have been headache-free for 18 days now. I PRAY that means the cycle has ended, at least for now.

I ended up gaining 30 lbs while on the steroids...being sedentary did not help the matter. I am off the steroid now and I am taking Verapamil. I haven't noticed too many side effects from it, besides being fatigued and lower endurance.

I got up this morning and decided to try exercising. I walked 2 miles, and guess what....it didn't trigger a headache!! Whooo Hoooo! Can you tell I'm excited???

My plan is to walk for a couple of weeks to build some endurance, then start the C25K over from the beginning. I am hoping to complete the C25K by December so I can run the Jingle Bell Jog. Wish me luck!

GA - so glad to hear that you are keeping the headaches at bay. We are both starting C25K over, but I am little ahead of you, for now. I'm finding I feel more impatient this time. I don't like the music on the podcast, but I do like hearing him tell me when to run and when to walk, etc. I'm on week 4 now. I go to see the doc next Friday so hopefully I'll know more about my prognosis then.

Yay GA!

Mcrowder - Good for you for starting the program. Don't worry if you have to repeat weeks before moving on, you'll get there. The most important thing is to keep at it!

Well, I'm back from my vacation in sunny Barbados. I did happen to jog every other day at 5:30am and walk the same distance the alternate days. My birthday is on 9/5/09 and that the same day as the last run of the Wesport, CT running program...10 miles. I would be lying if I said I'm totally confident, I'm a little nervous, but I'm going to give it a go.

Well I made it through the first week. I was able to complete the full week but I want to make sure that it's a more doable situation before I move on. I am going to repeat week 1. It's quite possible that I will do all the weeks multiple times till I have more endurance though.

GA - so glad to hear that you are keeping the headaches at bay. We are both starting C25K over, but I am little ahead of you, for now. I'm finding I feel more impatient this time. I don't like the music on the podcast, but I do like hearing him tell me when to run and when to walk, etc. I'm on week 4 now. I go to see the doc next Friday so hopefully I'll know more about my prognosis then.

Yay GA!

Thanks Suzanne! I'm so glad you are able to run now too! I think I've talked my sister into doing the C25K with me. We may even start next week...

Good luck at the docs office...hope you have good news!!

Well I made it through the first week. I was able to complete the full week but I want to make sure that it's a more doable situation before I move on. I am going to repeat week 1. It's quite possible that I will do all the weeks multiple times till I have more endurance though.

Hi Brandy! The first time I did the C25K, I repeated many many weeks, lol. It's better to go slow than over do it. Good luck with it!

Hi everyone! Welcome to the new runners this week!

Carol~ I knew you needed a swift kick, glad to be of some help!

Suzanne~ Keep on truckin! Hope you can get some answers from the doc about your foot.

Brandy~ Welcome back! You know the drill, listen to your body and move ahead when you are ready and that way you are less likely to get injured.

Kathy~ It has to feel great to be on round 2 of your races! Good luck and I bet you beat your time from last year!! Sending some good vibes your way! Please send some back - I am worried that 10K is going to kick my butt!!!:smile2:

GA~ Yeah! :thumbup: No head aches! That has to be the best feeling for you. Sign up for that 5K you will be ready by December!

I had a great trail run with my dog on Tuesday. It was a hilly trail and I pushed hard to run as much as I could going up, that is always a killer for me! I feel like I am making some progress running on hills and running at altitude.

It has been a bit busy and stressful going back to school this week and I am trying to figure out my exercise schedule that will work for the year! I didn't get my run in today, my DD had her wisdom teeth pulled so I have been taking care of her - poor thing, she is already starting to swell!