Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Getting Banded in July?

Hi Dalene

I begin the liquid diet on July 14th. I have actually been drinking the Protein Shakes for the last month just to get used to them. I am ready for the diet! The program I have been involved with through my HMO has been very supportive. Are you ready? Any concerns for you?

TAD

Hi Tad,

I am ready. I do not have any concerns at this time. I am sure the closer the date gets the more anxious I will become.

Wow, thanks for your well wishes. You've already dont really well and that's before the lapband. I'm not sure whether I should be eating like mad - a last hoorah so to speak or whether to start cutting back now in preparation. I'm on Optifast from 17th July and I'm dreading that more than the surgery - I think it shows my "addiction" to food. I'm seeing a pschologist about this issue next week. I know I'm going to need heaps of support through this and I think it might be best to get outside help rather than always burdening family and friends? What do others think?>

Awww good luck Josh!!! I'm sure you'll do fine tomorrow =) I'm starting to know how you feel-I only have 16 days left, and I imagine with each passing day comes more nervousness!!! Good Luck and let us know.

I'm getting my band on baby! July 15th, 1 day before my 56 birthday. I have a 12 year old and I'm worried about the long term effects.

And I am nervous as I can be.

Any help you could offer would be great, I think I'm ready but I try not to think about it. :wink2:

Jeneal

Just a day two update here.

This hasn't been too bad. The surgery itself was easy. The only pain I'm having is where they put the port...and it's is a little worse than I expected. BUT, the drugs do help. The heating pad is awesome, too! I don't feel weak or sick or anything aside from the port pain. And that is a little better today than yesterday.

I was able to get out and go to the store and stuff today. i was out and about for 3 hours or so.

Although there is some significant pain, it could be so much worse. It only hurts when I'm trying to get up or down from the bed or a chair. And I've been able to get some good solid sleep...because it doesn't hurt when I'm on my back :blink: or my left side.

I finally got to eat some Soup today, too...it was gooooood. I only had 3 oz and it was enough to take the hunger away.

I went for the swallow test this morning and the barium went right through the band like it should.

If anyone is considering or has to do this alone, it has been no problem for me. And I've actually enjoyed the peace. But that's just me.

So congratulation to everyone who has already been banded this July...and to those who haven't, I finally get to be the one to say 'YOU'LL BE FINE'.

Amy

Banded 7/7/08 :wink2:

Wow, thanks for your well wishes. You've already dont really well and that's before the lapband. I'm not sure whether I should be eating like mad - a last hoorah so to speak or whether to start cutting back now in preparation. I'm on Optifast from 17th July and I'm dreading that more than the surgery - I think it shows my "addiction" to food. I'm seeing a pschologist about this issue next week. I know I'm going to need heaps of support through this and I think it might be best to get outside help rather than always burdening family and friends? What do others think?>

I am on the liquid diet right now. The first 3 days are the worst. Like withdrawls from what you love. I think we are all here because we are addicts. We are all at different stages in our life. I am 45 at I have exhausted all attempts and in the last year I didn't even want to try anything. I knew I would fail. I knew I wouldn't be able to do the liquid diet at 100% but I gave it my all. I have lost 9lbs in one week. Everyone, including your doctor knows that the reason we are getting surgery is because we are addicted and can't stick to diets ( which are useless anyway). They just want us to make a last attempt at getting some of the fat off. Naturally, they won't say do this liquid diet and oh BTW you can cheat if you have to. They want you to give it your best try. You may be perfect but just do your best. I stocked up on Jello, chicken broth (i but a little black pepper in it), Optifast ( I keep it thick by using less Water, adding 2 pcs of ice when blending and use a frozen frosty mug) It makes it a little like melted ice cream. Crystal lite, and water ( with "water sensation" peach flavor). I am a caffiene free diet coke drinker. I have not had a coke in a week. I don't know why I haven't even missed it. Coke was one of my biggest fears. I keep busy on the internet on this website and Obesityhelp.com. I also got a jigsaw puzzle in the living room. Even with all that I have cheated a little here and there. Personally, I have seen counselors, psychiatrists and psychologists for years on weightloss and here I am a week from lapband surgery and out lots of money. You just have to hunker down and do your best and the best is all you can do. Don't beat yourself up about it. I think you will do just as well as we all have. You will find lots of helpful people on this website and obesityhelp. I live on here now and it keeps me from eating.

Bandtime, sorry for all the typos. I want you to know you can email at anytime. Good luck! I know you will do just fine.

Thanks! The only thing I want to eat before I can't, is a nice batch of sushi. We have a local restaurant where the quality is superb. As a last fling, I don't think it's too bad.

I'm utterly terrified of the Optifast, too. I don't know the details yet, I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I see the dietician, but I'm willing to grovel just to be allowed a plate of steamed broccoli or green beans! I just hate feeling hungry. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I fear.

By all means, if a psychologist will help, use one! Anything to make it as easy and comfortable as possible. I was glad to make contact with my psych via the screening so I know I have her there should I need her. Another tool in our arsenal!

Orea

Tomorrow is the big day. I hope eveyone's surgery goes well and I will check in on Thursday when I return home. Good Luck!!!

9 Lalaredd

9 Sarv

9 MarylandMommy

9 siouxsie Sioux

I was just banded today, July 8. I am not feeling well. Please tell me how you are feeling if you have been banded recently. I am weak and my throat hurts. When I drink I get a pain that may or may not be gas.

Goooood Luck to you all. You will be fine. The surgery flies by and it is all over. You will get something for the pain so you will feel fine just sleepy. It goes by so quick tomorrow is day 5 post band. Can't wait until we all start getting our fills!

Sallen21,

You just need to rest right now! Your throat hurts because there was a tube in it during surgery. I had the same problem, and then I coughed and some gooky stuff came out. Throat pain only lasted 1 day. Gets some rest and take your pain meds and I promise you will be feeling better in a couple of days. I am 6 days post op (banded July 2) and today is the first day that I am actually feeling pretty good. Hang in there.