Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's Getting Banded in July?

It has been about a week for all the first bandsters of July, hope all is going well!! It is 5am on my surgery and and I am gettin ready to head out! Good luck to all the July 9th people, I am right next to ya!!!!

Josh

Dr. Baker

Minnesota

Band Date: July 9th, 2008

Heaviest: 315.5

Current: 299

Goal: 195

Today is my day. I feel like i am dying of thirst and I have a headache coming on. Having a 12:45 pm surgery is not easy.... I hope all you other July 9 banders are doing well.

Today is my day. I feel like i am dying of thirst and I have a headache coming on. Having a 12:45 pm surgery is not easy.... I hope all you other July 9 banders are doing well.

It's all good! It will be worth it. They will give you a happy pill for your anxiety and headache. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Good luck Josh,

I'm being banded tomorrow. I'll say a prayer that all goes well with your surgery.

Waynette

Hope you are doing well Josh and every one!

I was banded 5 days ago still sore but feeling better. I hope I can work tomorrow. I think it is a little slower healing than I thought too. I thought it would be a piece of cake. You have to look at the hole picture. A week until you a feeling good is nothing compared to beating yourself up day after day for eating in a way you shouldn't have. Do you remember waking up in the morning regreting what you did the day before in the way of food? Now we are not going to have to face that so a week of taking it slow will be easier. Think positive thoughts as you go back to sleep and rest.

Updated July Butterflies

1 wsw27

1 tillydog

1 doedoe1961

1 staylucid

1 mygirlayanna

1 eisermanr7

1 rdk211

1 Mrs J.J

2 minidriver

2 slim2be

2 BethO

2 mrsgriffin2u

2 trudeip

2 Barbiek

2 annabella

2 SanDiegoSusan

2 anita reyna

2 jjenkins2411

2 Hollins2003

3 BigBander

3 scoutmama

3 2GoodDogs

3 kimlam

3 dazzle1

3 kandyss

4 joiful

7 ginnyc

7 AmyWA

7 Redheada

7 Busybee

7 Barb12590

7 clusk

7 boxerlover7

8 blaze 21

8 Louisville Lesa

8 zeama

8 cinda

8 JaJeanne

8 innwtitdtity

8 knd

8 Dtobe175ish

8 colacoca

8 Mommy,ArmyWife

8 caybachman

8 LibbyS

8 sallen21

9 Sarv

9 MarylandMommy

9 siouxsie Sioux

9 Rivieramaya05

9 lalaredd

9 flowers

9 kmorrow27

9 AliNSanDiego

9 j holm07

10 sallen21

10 Goobe

10 2Blite4life

10 melmel

10 Fancy Nancy

10 vannie

10 77Shell

10 wstone

10 mac281

11 falloons

11 melallot

11 lbevilacqua

11 debbles

13 OvrLvl

14 MaidMarion

14 Chellets

14 pbpunisher

14 mrsjones0728

15 Fearless55

15 Flowerpurr

15 pschmolle

15 perfectforme

15 azoreangal

16 eyespy

16 lisainbohemia

16 lotzasunshine

16 SciTeach

16 lynlynkr

16 michkor

16 jomomma

16 Charlene K

16 nanaislosingit

16 aclubb

17 3m’smom

17 tnag86

18 toogoode4u

18 CapitolChick

18 azbanded

18 PDXBandster

18 Livingwell

18 MyMeshelle

21 clayverde

21 PennyLane

22 TeriVA

22 kimaly

22 lleighton5

22 Choromom

22 annesan

22 moocatschade

22 Maudie

22 lmbmkm

22 thatDEgirl

23 BABOOMER

23 shellbell99

23 Ellie’s mom

24 nyllrap

24 linksmom

24 lisadental

24 frypan

24 getthin

25 Kiki220

25 Nachtigall

25 losing it!

25 countrygirl0767

25 afw

25 new2me

28 splfrd

28 mamanmidwife

28 vonnegutk

28 Dalene

29 Cherub

29 Jersey Boy

29 zillyanne

29 mickey123

30 orea15

30 angie61

30 mich

31 healthysue

31 skinnyme52

Today is day 4 for me. Still not doing as well as I thought. My intistines are still not making their own gas and still in pain. Can't find any doctors to see me that does Lap Band surgery. They all suggested going to the ER. I am sure if I go to the ER my insurance will not pay for it so I am going to wait 1 more day. I have absolutely no restriction and can swallow pills and eat anything. Any one else have this? I am starting to kick myself for not looking into better places to have Lap Band than Bajanor where I went.

Hope every one else is doing well!

Joiful - I'm a little concerned about your post. Are you already eating food only four days after surgery? :smile: My surgeon has a four day clear liquid diet then a 10-day full liquid, 2 weeks of mushies then soft foods and finally about week 6 experimenting with all foods. This gives the body time to heal from the shock of surgery then helps the body to heal and get the band "locked" into place with the scar tissue. My understanding is that digesting food at this time will defer energy from healing and possibly cause movement or slippage of the band. I'm not a medical person so don't quote me on this, but the people that seems to be the most successful have had surgeons that have some pretty strict requirements to give everything time to heal and work.

If I misread your post and you're not on solids yet please forgive me. If you are unhappy with your surgical team and don't have support maybe we could talk and I could at least give you the instructions my surgeon gives out. Since I have had little pain and no complications I am really trusting my surgeon at this point and very happy I did the 2-week liquid diet pre-op, etc.

Are you feeling ok now? If you still feel like you need an emergency room are you finding the support you need?

Hugs,

Susan

Hi everyone! I am BANDED! In a bit of pain, and uncomfortable, but doing alright. The doctor said my surgery went really well, and it was really fast. I guess my liver was perfectly fine! Even with my cheating. So, those who are worried, please take heart that you WILL be ok! Just try your best to stick to the diet! I do have one of these ON-Q devices that is basically a portable IV that is helping with the pain. I'm a little afraid to remove it Friday, but I have the instructions, so I'm ok with it. I wasn't expecting it, however, so ask your doctors :smile: In any case, bought chicken broth made by my fave chef (BAM) and it's really good. I can only have 2 oz every hour of liquids, which is fine today, but I'm worried I may want more tomorrow... we'll see.

Good luck to every future surgery! I just want everyone to know that it's going to be great, and to go in relaxed and confident that everything will be just fine!

Well, I had my final consult with the surgeon today and then over to pre-op. Ihate answering the same questions over and over. Can't they put it in the computer and leave it there!

Getting a little nervous and thinking it feels strange that I'm actually doing this. It's seemed so abstract for so long. I feel a lot more confident after my appointments today.

I stockpiled Gatorade and canned Soups the other day. The ladies in line behind me thought I was stocking up for a hurricane! I am totally ready for the pre-op diet. Thankfully my doctor only requires three days of Clear Liquids pre-op. I'm a little worried about the post-op. He requires two weeks of Clear Liquids and then two weeks of full liquids. So NO food--mushy or otherwise--until week five! That will be hard. If I had that much willpower I could have lost the weight before surgery! My friend who had gastric bypass says she didn't feel like eating after surgery, but you can compare the two surgeries.

Only four more days of eating! Tomorrow's my birthday and then my surgery is on the 16th. Good way to start off the 35th year!

Good luck to everyone!

My surgery was yesterday and I survived! I have to say it is, well, surgery which isn't pleasant, but I feel pretty good. Some pressure around my chest. Managing to get down liquids and walk around, but pretty tired.

I was in the hospital about 24 hours after the surgery. They took good care of me.

Susan, I stopped eating solids. I am following Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band for what I should eat now. I was not getting enough Protein hardly any and that is what caused weird cravings that i hadn't had in years. I can't imagine doing liquids for 3 weeks. This book says that you can have some soft foods on day 7. Days 13 til 15 you can add fish, toast and crackers, Pasta and veggiees that are well cooked. He is a doctor thta wrote the book. I am so confussed I don't know what to do. I guess every one's diet is different. I am seeing a doctor on Monday. Feeling better but there is still blood in my phlem(sp?). I will not be able to work even tomorrow. It is unbelieveable I can usually make very good money and now there has been nothing for a week! I just think of The Secret and I will be fine.

Hope evey one is doing very well!

Wow! I hope that all goes well with the doctor, and you can figure out what's wrong! Maybe staying with full liquids for a bit will allow you to heal a little more. Some people just can't tolerate solids as soon as other people.

I am four days post op and thought I would update all of the July bandsters as to what I am experiencing. As much as I thought I was educated, I am still surprised by some of the post op feelings at this point.

The biggest surprise for me was the gas (or really as I would say "air") in my entire stomach cavity. This is from the air that is pushed in during surgery. I expected this to be regular gas (flatulence). But it is air moving around your rib cage and stomach and it is the most uncomfortable part of this process. It creates bloating so right now I feel like I am 7 months pregnant. I think walking helps this - although for me not as much as I would like.

Second is that I really cannot eat/drink too much. I feel the swelling big time. I understand this takes a while to go down and you just have to be prepared for it.

As far as the incisions are concerned, they are not a big deal to me. They almost feel like they are healed (at least the four small ones). I have yet to see the incision where the port is - but that one is a little larger and a little more sensitive. They are definitely sore and tender but not necessarly the worst part (as I expected).

Finally, I do have this pain in my rib cage (middle/base) that feels like someone punched the crap out of my diaphram. This started immediately after surgery and does affect your breathing. I find it difficult to take a deep breath still four days out. But again I understand this is normal and will go away.

The best part is before the pre-op diet I weighed 248 lbs and today - 4 days out - I weigh 232. So the weight is dropping.

All and all I am doing ok and wish everyone the best of luck!

:thumbs_down:

I was banded yesterday! I feel okay, just sore and tired. Drinking is a pain since I get so full so fast. I am not sure how I am going to get the 70 grams of Protein down...but anyway, mostly uneventful...just chillin now ;-)