Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Janet,

You are truly an inspiration to so many on these forums. I am the same age as you and I am just starting out. I was banded on 4/8/08 and I have lost 25.5 lbs. I have to say that I feel like I am doing it on willpower alone. I had my first fill on 5/19. I have a 10cc band that started out with 4 cc's and the doctor gave me an additional 1 cc.

I find myself forgetting about small bites and eating slowly. I do always leave food on my plate, but I am probably consuming much more in volume at each sitting than I should. My calories vary anywhere from about 900 to 1400 but it is getting harder every day.

Did you experience anything like this in the beginning? I would like some help from the band, but I can't really feel any help.

Thanks for all your work on this forum. You really are helping so many.

Alice

271/245.5/150

Janet,

You are truly an inspiration to so many on these forums. I am the same age as you and I am just starting out. I was banded on 4/8/08 and I have lost 25.5 lbs. I have to say that I feel like I am doing it on willpower alone. I had my first fill on 5/19. I have a 10cc band that started out with 4 cc's and the doctor gave me an additional 1 cc.

I find myself forgetting about small bites and eating slowly. I do always leave food on my plate, but I am probably consuming much more in volume at each sitting than I should. My calories vary anywhere from about 900 to 1400 but it is getting harder every day.

Did you experience anything like this in the beginning? I would like some help from the band, but I can't really feel any help.

Thanks for all your work on this forum. You really are helping so many.

Alice

271/245.5/150

Alice Congrats on 25.5 in 2 months that's great!!!

You are asking me to remember 9 months back - :wink2: You know how hard that is :lol: I got my 1st fill 6 weeks out September - felt itfor about 2 weeks then went back in October and got my second - and that one was good - but even though I am at my sweet spot fior me mentally I have always needed to eat more than 1/4 or 1/2 cup per meal - I average 1 cup for lunch and 1 to maybe 1.5 for dinner

I just chose my calories wisely - I budget them for the most satisfying foods and most nurtirional - I eat low fat and sugar free (mostly) and limited carbs. I follow a weight watcher eating plan - I weight & measure my food.< /p>

I think the 1400 is a bit high - I tried to never go over 1200. When I am extra hungry I eat extra veggies - how much are you consuming at one sitting... Can you go back for another fill..

Hi Janet,

During the day while I'm working I probably eat smaller amounts. A bowl of oatmeal or Cereal for Breakfast. Sometimes 2 eggs or eggbeaters equivalent scrambled on whole grain wrap. For lunch, I try to keep it to 1 c. amount. It is hard to say how much a a wrap with 3 oz of tuna or turkey breast w/light mayo is. If I go out with friends from work, once or twice a week, I eat about half of the entree (yesterday I ate about half of Ruby Tuesday's chicken broccoli quiche, but I also had a small salad with balsamic viniagarette from the salad bar. dinner, I usually have 3 oz. of meat, very small amount of potatoes (maybe 1/3 c.) and 1/2 c of veggies.

Evening is my tough time. After dinner, it is hard to keep from grazing. I'm constantly wanting to eat more, even though I'm not really hungry. I don't feel as full as I think I should after each meal or even after dinner followed up with a snack or dessert.

My next fill isn't until June 30. I'm going to wait until then because I will be relocating with my company to St. Pete (I live in Ft. Lauderdale) for one year starting July 7, living long distance from my husband and adult son who is high functioning autistic. I'll be back every other weekend and have long weekends in there so I can follow up with my doctor, but because I will be alone for the first time in a very long time, I would rather have a new fill to help when that change occurs. I think I will ask for 1.5 add'l ccs on my next fill, but my doctor is very conservative, so I'm not sure he will put that much in.

I wouldn't even be making this move, if it wasn't for the fact that I already have 19 years with the company and I need one more year to get to 20 years which brings benefits of access to my pension before 65. They are closing my office and its either severance or transfer. We decided transfer was the best option, at least for the year.

Well, thanks for listening, I guess I will keep plugging away and discuss this whole issue with the doctor when I see him.

I'm not giving up, but I am hoping to eventually get some signals from the band to help on this journey.

Alice

Banded April 8, 2008

271/245.5/150

Hi Janet,

Your post and story really gave me hope. This is the first time I have posted in here and I could sure use a buddy. I had my surgery on 4/30/08 and my first fill with the realize band was on 6/3/08. I started eating a high Protein low carb diet 4/6/08 and I have cheated a few times now and then. I've lost 27 pounds so far. I started out at 248 and now I'm 221. I am still hungry since I got my first fill, but it's just the first fill so I need to try to be patient. I know this. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to you and say thanks for sharing your story to all of us. It's nice to know that you had such success with the band.

Donna

Hi Janet,

Thanks for checking on me. This is the fourth day of my semi-liquid pre-op diet. I am doing ok--a little headache and a little nausea. The dailyplate website is a terrific help to me. I am struggling to get all the Water in but I have always had a problem with Water. I found these Kelloggs Special k2o Protein water mixes that have 5g of Protein and 5g of Fiber when you use it with a bottle of water. They come in different flavors and even in pre-mixed bottles. They are somthing I am trying to use to get protein and water at the same time. I also got me a food scale and I am not looking for a good weight scale--any suggestions.

Tuesday is fast approaching and I am getting more excited each day. i am really happy in a way that my surgery got post-poned for these two weeks as I looked up with you and I have found more tools to use to be successful.

Hi Janet,

During the day while I'm working I probably eat smaller amounts. A bowl of oatmeal or Cereal for breakfast. Sometimes 2 eggs or eggbeaters equivalent scrambled on whole grain wrap. For lunch, I try to keep it to 1 c. amount. It is hard to say how much a a wrap with 3 oz of tuna or turkey breast w/light mayo is. If I go out with friends from work, once or twice a week, I eat about half of the entree (yesterday I ate about half of Ruby Tuesday's chicken broccoli quiche, but I also had a small salad with balsamic viniagarette from the salad bar. dinner, I usually have 3 oz. of meat, very small amount of potatoes (maybe 1/3 c.) and 1/2 c of veggies.

Evening is my tough time. After dinner, it is hard to keep from grazing. I'm constantly wanting to eat more, even though I'm not really hungry. I don't feel as full as I think I should after each meal or even after dinner followed up with a snack or dessert.

My next fill isn't until June 30. I'm going to wait until then because I will be relocating with my company to St. Pete (I live in Ft. Lauderdale) for one year starting July 7, living long distance from my husband and adult son who is high functioning autistic. I'll be back every other weekend and have long weekends in there so I can follow up with my doctor, but because I will be alone for the first time in a very long time, I would rather have a new fill to help when that change occurs. I think I will ask for 1.5 add'l ccs on my next fill, but my doctor is very conservative, so I'm not sure he will put that much in.

I wouldn't even be making this move, if it wasn't for the fact that I already have 19 years with the company and I need one more year to get to 20 years which brings benefits of access to my pension before 65. They are closing my office and its either severance or transfer. We decided transfer was the best option, at least for the year.

Well, thanks for listening, I guess I will keep plugging away and discuss this whole issue with the doctor when I see him.

I'm not giving up, but I am hoping to eventually get some signals from the band to help on this journey.

Alice

Banded April 8, 2008

271/245.5/150

Alice - Sorry that you gotta leave your family - That has to be hard - but here is one bright spot - you will be only cooking for you during the week - you can stock your kitchen with only healthy food and you will be preparing meals just for you.

1st - As I think I have said before (I talk so much I forget what I have said and not said):) Keep track of your calories - we way underestimate the calorie content of what we eat..

Your Chicken & Broccoli Quiche was 872 calories for the entire meal so that's 436 for half (33.3 grms of fat)

Calories in a whole wheat wrap 170 + tuna 3 oz 80c + lite mayo 40 for 1 tbsp that's 290

It's not hard to count your calories - you gotta start reading labels - it just takes work - I highly suggest that you start logging your calories - I think you are highly underestimating what you are eat - go to dailyplate.com or fitday.com - sign up and start logging your foods.

Before you go out an eat google we will say Ruby Tuesday - ck out the nutritional values before you eat (this works for 99% of eating out places)

Planning - preparing - will power - disciplined - even with the band these are the things that you have to do..

Nights are hard for me too (infact most of us have this problem)

So this is how I deal with it - I am allowed 2 Snacks (healthy) I save budget these calories for nights - I eat 100 cal snack pack popcorn & a healthy choice sf fudge-cycle or a dannon lite fit yogurt or sf pudding.

I will eat and be full - but still want to eat - it's that whole thing one is not enough and 10 is too many. You just gotta work it - you just gotta find things to distract you when you have the urge to eat - get on the computer come here to LBT - go clean out a drawer - clean the bathroom- go for a walk - just do something to take your mind off food.< /p>

Get some dumbbells and work your arms while watching t.v. - get a hobby - painting - knitting - sewing - go to the craft store and try something like decoupage

Also, Exercise - you gotta do it !!!

Hi Janet,

Your post and story really gave me hope. This is the first time I have posted in here and I could sure use a buddy. I had my surgery on 4/30/08 and my first fill with the realize band was on 6/3/08. I started eating a high Protein low carb diet 4/6/08 and I have cheated a few times now and then. I've lost 27 pounds so far. I started out at 248 and now I'm 221. I am still hungry since I got my first fill, but it's just the first fill so I need to try to be patient. I know this. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to you and say thanks for sharing your story to all of us. It's nice to know that you had such success with the band. Donna

Hey Donna - Welcome !!!!

Congrats on the weight loss you are doing good 13.5 average per month outstanding.

For me the band doesn't take away your hunger 100% - I think that it is advertised to do this is wrong - yes it lessens it some and when properly restricted you are full on less food - but as to taking away your hunger all together - nope not for me..

Take the word cheat out - and replace it with treats - I eat healthy 98% of the time and allow for treats 2% of the time - and these treats are within my calorie budget for the day.

This is a lifetime lifestyle change - it's not a diet (which I gotta tell you is still hard for me to grasp at times since I have lost 99.7% of my excess weight- I now think well you have lost the weight you can relax some - no I can't cuz if I do - slowly pound by pound the weight will return)

I asked a Friend here at work how she maintains her weight (always has been thin) she said that if she has put on 5 lbs that she wants to lose that she write down what she eats and the calories

No matter how hard we want to deny this fact - it's all about calories in vs calories out - this is for losing weight & maintaining it too.

I know that alot of pple say I didn't get banded to count calories but in all reality we need to learn about them - they say they just want to eat in smaller portions - but for this to work we have to learn what is a portion size - how many calories are in things - We get banded to be healthier and to be healthier we need healthy foods 98% of the time not the same old high fat high sugar foods we use to eat.

OK - I am all about the calories today and the importance of keeping a food diary as a learning tool ..

I gotta get to work - so I will ck back later...

Good food choices - Drink your Water and a little hunger isn't going to kill you but surely the fat will. :thumbup:

Hi Janet,

Thanks for checking on me. This is the fourth day of my semi-liquid pre-op diet. I am doing ok--a little headache and a little nausea. The dailyplate website is a terrific help to me. I am struggling to get all the Water in but I have always had a problem with Water. I found these Kelloggs Special k2o Protein water mixes that have 5g of Protein and 5g of Fiber when you use it with a bottle of water. They come in different flavors and even in pre-mixed bottles. They are something I am trying to use to get protein and water at the same time. I also got me a food scale and I am not looking for a good weight scale--any suggestions.

Tuesday is fast approaching and I am getting more excited each day. i am really happy in a way that my surgery got post-poned for these two weeks as I looked up with you and I have found more tools to use to be successful.

Jill - you don't have to worry about "I am not looking for a good weight scale--any suggestions." I knew what you meant - sometimes our finger just type hear instead of here - I am a speed reader so I don't read word for word - I am also not the worlds best speller or grammar persons so ladies don't worry about that crap here ok ..

Yes I have tried the special k stuff - it's good - didn't I give you all the link to baratric choice - they have a great clear protein liquid to add to your water 70 calories 15 grns protein. I will post it later cuz I gotta get some work done - so this is sorta quick reply :thumbup:

I am so happy that you are getting prepared - and are getting the tools that will help you be a success story... I really believe in all these tools and it takes more than just the band to be successful..

OK - I gotta call - I will ck back later (cbl) :)

Oh ya about a scale - I just got one from target - metero something I think ck them out before you buy - cuz once I got one that was 10 lbs heavier than mine and mine is 4 lighter than my doc's so I took it back.:laugh:

Long2bthin - Prayers, Hugs - you will be find - Yes will be the 1st day of the rest of your new healthier life... We you feel up to it - let us know how you are...

Hugs

Janet

I am doing pretty good today. I slept light but long last night, from about 930 to 8am. I woke up a lot, but was glad to get some rest. And am taking it very easy today. Struggling a little with the drinking and Protein today. It's hard to get so much Protein in, one oz. at a time. The pain is very manageable, a lot less than I thought there'd be!! Thanks for your encouragement and advice!

Long2bthin - Prayers, Hugs - you will be find - Yes will be the 1st day of the rest of your new healthier life... We you feel up to it - let us know how you are...

Hugs

Janet

I am doing pretty good today. I slept light but long last night, from about 930 to 8am. I woke up a lot, but was glad to get some rest. And am taking it very easy today. Struggling a little with the drinking and Protein today. It's hard to get so much Protein in, one oz. at a time. The pain is very manageable, a lot less than I thought there'd be!! Thanks for your encouragement and advice!

Why one oz at a time?? I know every doc's instructions are diff - I didn't have that limit - I would make a shake in the morning most likely drank 1/2 to 3/4 - Soup for lunch and dinner - I had some clear Protein drinks that I added to my Water that gave me 15 grms of pt.

Just take it easy - also please don't eliminate all fats from your diets - we are thinking that it may be the reason for the hair loss - I haven't lost any but I didn't elimnate all fats - healthy ones now and 1/16 of what i use to eat - I was a Paula Dean & Emril put together - butter & pork fat rules were my motto - Now it's I can't beleive it's not butter spray - olive oils - nuts etc - but I do still have some fats.

EVERYONE HERE IS THE LINK FOR THE CLEAR PROTEIN IT'S GOOD - I LIKE PEACH MANGO - GRAPE - HAVENT TRIED THE PINAPPLE YET BUT SOUNDS GOOD.

Bari Wise Bariatric Health & Diet Protein Fruit Drinks

Why one oz at a time?? I know every doc's instructions are diff - I didn't have that limit - I would make a shake in the morning most likely drank 1/2 to 3/4 - Soup for lunch and dinner - I had some clear Protein Drinks that I added to my Water that gave me 15 grms of pt.

I don't know, that's the guidelines the hospital and dr. office gave me. They even game me a sheet to long my drinks every 15 min. I did up it to 2 oz when I had some broth for lunch. This every 15 min. 1 oz at a time is just for the first couple days til about day 5. Then I can add more. I am really liking the Isopure clear Protein drinks so far Apple Melon is my favorite. My mouth is so dry so I am tempted to really chug some water but they cautioned against doing that too, just slow small sips. But my recovery is going so well I hate to change it up too.

I don't know, that's the guidelines the hospital and dr. office gave me. They even game me a sheet to long my drinks every 15 min. I did up it to 2 oz when I had some broth for lunch. This every 15 min. 1 oz at a time is just for the first couple days til about day 5. Then I can add more. I am really liking the Isopure clear Protein drinks so far Apple Melon is my favorite. My mouth is so dry so I am tempted to really chug some Water but they cautioned against doing that too, just slow small sips. But my recovery is going so well I hate to change it up too.

I have never tried the isopure - and now until I get my next fill (have to go back to post op diet for 3 days each stage) i rarely do Protein drinks - but will ck it out next time i go - which will be 7/31 - I think I could use like .01 - but we will see.

Gotta follow your doc's orders - It would make more sense if we all had the same orders :thumbup:

Yep not chugging Water is hard - when you can you know you need a fill - well at least for me ...

Disclaimer - Gang - I am not a doctor - so never go against your doc's order and I am no expert in the field of banding - I am just a x-fat chick (mentally I am still a fat chick :tongue2:) telling you all how I did it (got to goal):thumbup::lol::o:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::tt2::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::tt2::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Janet,

Thanks for the advice. I know I have to change my mindset about food and it may be a good thing to not have a fill until the end of June. This way, maybe maybe I will get more used to working on my own, so when I feel more restriction, it will be an added bonus.

Even though the move will disrupt my family some, I do see it as an opportunity to concentrate just on me, eating right, exercising and as you suggested, maybe taking up a hobby to keep me busy when I would have turned to food in the past.

I actually have been counting calories pretty closely but I guess its the site you check. The daily plate had the quiche at 735 calories, 130 calories less than Ruby Tuesday's official site. Also, the wrap is 90 calories (1 ww pt). Its called Flat Out and they have many flavors. I do have to start keeping a journal, though. I realized today right before dinner that I forgot to write down a light whole grain english muffin I had with 1/2 c. of cottage cheese this morning. I'm glad I remembered before dinner and the rest of the evening. I would have eaten 100 calories more than I was calculating in my head.

I do have to concentrate on exercise more. I've been walking but have only gotten in 2 days each week for the past two weeks. I know I need to get 5 days in. I also have to work on the Water. I find it very hard to get more then 32 oz of Water in a day because of the restrictions on before and after meals (at least 30 minutes) and the fact that you should sip. I'm afraid I will hurt my pouch if I swallow too much at once.

Thanks again for the time you take to go over advice for each poster. Hopefully, I will be successful enough one day to do the same.

Alice

Banded 4/8/08

271/245.5/150

Janet,

Thanks for the advice. I know I have to change my mindset about food and it may be a good thing to not have a fill until the end of June. This way, maybe maybe I will get more used to working on my own, so when I feel more restriction, it will be an added bonus.

Even though the move will disrupt my family some, I do see it as an opportunity to concentrate just on me, eating right, exercising and as you suggested, maybe taking up a hobby to keep me busy when I would have turned to food in the past.

I actually have been counting calories pretty closely but I guess its the site you check. The daily plate had the quiche at 735 calories, 130 calories less than Ruby Tuesday's official site. Also, the wrap is 90 calories (1 ww pt). Its called Flat Out and they have many flavors. I do have to start keeping a journal, though. I realized today right before dinner that I forgot to write down a light whole grain english muffin I had with 1/2 c. of cottage cheese this morning. I'm glad I remembered before dinner and the rest of the evening. I would have eaten 100 calories more than I was calculating in my head.

I do have to concentrate on exercise more. I've been walking but have only gotten in 2 days each week for the past two weeks. I know I need to get 5 days in. I also have to work on the Water. I find it very hard to get more then 32 oz of Water in a day because of the restrictions on before and after meals (at least 30 minutes) and the fact that you should sip. I'm afraid I will hurt my pouch if I swallow too much at once.

Thanks again for the time you take to go over advice for each poster. Hopefully, I will be successful enough one day to do the same.

Alice

Banded 4/8/08

271/245.5/150

Alice & Everyone

1st thing we are going to do is take the word's HOPE & TRY out of our vocabularies and replace them with I WILL - I am a firm believer in positive affirmations - It's not that you can't do it - it's cuz you think you can't that's stopping you. If you put your mind to it you can achieve anything... You will be successful !!!!

I haven't heard of those flat out breads - I don't know if we have them here in California yet - are they in the bread section or refrigeration section. I don't do much bread - but I will have a sandwich maybe once every couple of months - I have a little 3x3 notebook I got from target that I keep - i throw it in my purse in the morning then my desk then back in my purse when I come home..

On the water issue - I am not always great - but I try and drink 20 oz before Breakfast - then between bf & lunch I try and get it another 10 - then 10 after lunch and another 10 or 20 in the evenings.. I don't always make it - but I make a good attempt - I have a bottle here as i type..

I know it will be hard to leave your family - but I think it will be great to be able to work on you (see how I like to look for the sliver linings)- as women we are always taking care of everyone else that we never take care of us - I think that's why we eat - it's our comfort our reward for all the giving that we give and don't always get the appreciation that we deserve from others.

Exercise it takes time to make it a habit - I still try and talk myself out of going - but since I go 4 days M T W and Sat mornings I have my little schdule and usually don't vary from it unless I have to - but then I still have 3 other days to choose from if I have to miss one of my scheduled ones.

thanks for the props - i enjoy helping - the mother in me i guess :tongue2: