Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

Thanks so much. I will get to eat liquids, raw veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt--it isn't so bad--it is just there seems to always be some dinner invitation or social event to have to deal with--I guess I need to learn how to deal with these kind of events now rather than later.

Jill

Jill

I avoided all those things while on pre-op and liquid stage - It was hard enough without adding more temptation

I have heard the word "sliming". I don't understand what that is--do you know what it is and is it common?

Jill

Janet, all very good advice. It's good you are here for everyone. This site is full of good information and you are so caring and generous. This will be my transfer addiction as well, because it keeps me focused on my goals and lets me know I am far from alone in my journey to a smaller, healthier, happier me. Thanks!

I have heard the word "sliming". I don't understand what that is--do you know what it is and is it common?

Jill

Jill -

Sliming - is usually when something gets stuck or can be cuz you have eaten too much - but it's your body producing saliva to get the food thru your stomach - (to lubercate it) sometimes it will bubble up and you have to spit it out -

Janet, all very good advice. It's good you are here for everyone. This site is full of good information and you are so caring and generous. This will be my transfer addiction as well, because it keeps me focused on my goals and lets me know I am far from alone in my journey to a smaller, healthier, happier me. Thanks!

Linda13

Exactly why I am here - it keeps me honest and focused...

My doc and nurse and everyone were already impressed with how much I knew about the surgery. I seemed to be the only one who looked up information way before I even started the journey. :w00t:

Janet,

Did you lose all 97 lbs just since your surgery in July? OR had you lost some before? Regardless that is impressive. I keep hearing statistics that you lose so much slower than with RNY surgery, which sortta didn't make sense to me since both surgeries have the small pouch.

How soon after surgery did you exercise? And were you able to do much at your highest weight? Right now my knees hurt, I get out of breath so quick etc. I know that will improve as I lose, but also that I need to exercise to lose. Catch 22!!

Janet,

Did you lose all 97 lbs just since your surgery in July? OR had you lost some before? Regardless that is impressive. I keep hearing statistics that you lose so much slower than with RNY surgery, which sortta didn't make sense to me since both surgeries have the small pouch.

How soon after surgery did you exercise? And were you able to do much at your highest weight? Right now my knees hurt, I get out of breath so quick etc. I know that will improve as I lose, but also that I need to exercise to lose. Catch 22!!

I have lost the 97 lbs since surgery...

My doc says that I have lost weight like a bypass patient - That I am his star patient :tt2:

It's not the size of the pouch - The diff between bypass & band is that bypass pple don't absorb their calories (cutting of the intestines) were we as banders still absorb our calories. That's why they tend to lose weight faster ..

I didn't start exercising till my 6 week ck up I think.. I started out slowly like a 20-25 minute miles and I would go 4-5 days a week - then each week I would increase speed - and time and incline - I HATED exercise - I would take the elevator before the stairs. So I have gone from total slug bug to a person who goes to the gym 3-4 days a week and has a trainer

(weight 2 x week - Treadmill 3 miles 2 x week)

It all boils to to your food choices - I would say that I had baked fish for the first 8 months most nights for dinner - along with veggies and 1/2 c rice - I eat out maybe once a month if that. I have drank maybe 5 or 6 times during these 10 months - I eat healthy 98% of the time - low fat and mostly sugar free and limited starches -

I have been very good even when I didn't have much restriction (and I don't believe in being super tight) I would eat maybe 2 cups max and one cup would be veggie -

I really haven't cheated or binged on anything since I was banded - During Christmas I said no to all the sweets that were in my office - I make xmas Cookies with DGDs - so when I did this I allowed myself 10 cookie - which I ate over a 5 day period and I budgeted those calories into my daily calorie budget - I did not gain one lbs during the holidays -I lost even if it was only 1/2 of a pound.

I am truly dedicated to losing this weight to being healthier and prolonging my life - this is no longer a friggin game - this is real life

Do I want to continue to eat and die fat and unhappy as the quality of my life was the sh*ts (to tired to do anything - ashamed of the way I looked)

The 50's is the new 30's and that's how I feel now - I no longer say - oh I don't care - I will just eat - well now i care and I won't keep putting all those high calorie - high fat & sugar foods into my mouth - and if I do indulge - it's a slice of cake not the whole damn thing. And I now go and exercise - if I want to eat and maintain this weight I MUST/WILL continue to exercise 3 - 4 times a week..

It's all about being accountable to you and that you are worth being accountable to or for - you are worth the work - you are better than the excuses you give your self why you can't do it - the only reason that you can't is cuz you think you can't - If you think you can you will

I am a firm believer in positive affirmations - take the words hope and try out of your vocabulary and replace them with WILL.

We aren't going to die from being a little hungry from time to time - but we are going to die for sure if we keep feeding our faces.

Also a key to my success has been planing and preparing - I bring my lunch 99% of the time I fix it on Sunday night - I bring my Breakfast to work - when I shop on Saturdays - I read labels as to serving sizes and calories for that serving size.

I bought a scale to weigh and measure my foods in the beginning cuz I didn't really know what 4 oz of meat was. I can now look at it and tell.

I don't keep tempting foods in the house and if I find myself over eating something - I throw it away..

Ok - I gotta get back to work - so there is part of my story... to continue later :w00t:

Janet, you are amazing! I want to be like you when I grow up! Jill, thanks for asking the sliming question -- I've been on every board trying to find the answer to that one.

Janet, you are amazing! I want to be like you when I grow up! Jill, thanks for asking the sliming question -- I've been on every board trying to find the answer to that one.

Jill

LOL :P - No you want to be like me now:biggrin2: - not when you grow up - you want to get rid of your fat now - not when you are in your 50's :lol:

You want to enjoy your life as a healthier person and not do all the damage that obesity cause - get healthy now,.

It's really funny when you grow up and look back on your life - the thing that your parents told you are things that you now tell your kids - (advice and reason) what they/we are trying to to is help us/them not learn lifes lessons the school of hard knocks -

If we would have just listened to all their advice - life would have been a tad eaiser - but I guess if we don't experience it then we wouldn't learn

Hello Janet:

I feel you are already a mentor to me, you have given me a lot of good tips and advice. I will be banded on June 6 and will be checking in with you. You give good "tuff luv" and I need that! Thanks

Hello Janet:

I feel you are already a mentor to me, you have given me a lot of good tips and advice. I will be banded on June 6 and will be checking in with you. You give good "tuff luv" and I need that! Thanks

Thanks Cathy !!! Congrats on your date:biggrin2:

Yep - Tuff Band Love - is what I give - some like it some don't - I have been told I was mean - but I don't think I am (my operative word is love)

I get it I am a fat chick too.. I am no diff than anyone here - our fatness is what unites us.

I believe that we have to work at this we have to deal with our food issues - the job is more mental than physical. It's doable.

Did you have to have any plastic surgery after your lapband for any extra skin or did the exercise help tighten any skin. My arms are flabby now and I won't have the lapband until the 10th. I know exercise is extremely important. I am concerned about my knees and feet making exercise more difficult.

Did you have to have any plastic surgery after your lapband for any extra skin or did the exercise help tighten any skin. My arms are flabby now and I won't have the lapband until the 10th. I know exercise is extremely important. I am concerned about my knees and feet making exercise more difficult.

I haven't any ps yet - my tummy isn't great but not too bad - boobs - well they weren't great even fat - arms are what bug me the most - I live in the Desert 120 in the summer - would love to were sleevless but don't.

I am considering ps on my arms - I wear a Spanx type garment for tummy have a good bra and am over 35 so no mini skirts:lol:

The saggy skin issue is DNA - age & how long you have been overwieght.

I rather have the skin issue than the weight - in clothes it's hidden (saggy skin) - clothes don't cover up fat :lol:

How do you get your ticker tape item on your responses. I went to tickerfactory.com and made one but I don't know how to put it on my answers. I know it is probably easy as nearly everyone seems to have one.

Jill:confused:

indio girl55,

wow i came on the website to look for support and there you are. you have done a great job. congrats to you. i am sooo bumbed out. i was banded 1-11-08. i lost 14 pounds,then gained 13 pounds then lost 14 pounds now back to gaining 13 pounds. i have had 1 fill .6 in 4cc band. i called to get another appointment for a fill but i have to wait till the 16th of the month. i do not eat bread. comes back out. not too much beef either. i guess my question is as far as portion size goes what should we be taking in. at first i could only do 1/4-1/2 cup as a serving. thanks in advance for your help.