Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink soda?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink soda?

• Yes- my doctor says it's okay
    • Yes- but my doctor says not to
    • No- because my doctor says no
    • No- but not because of the band, just cause I don't like it

Since I was in the hospital this weekend and am now having acid/esophagus issues the doctor there said "no sodas". So even though it's rare that I drink one the fact is it may due damage to your esophagus if you have those issues or make it worse.

If I just deny myself I just want it more, I used to have 1 or 2 a week now I might have a sip or 2 a month... But even when I sip I remind myself there is so much sugar and I am working too damn hard to ruin this progress with a damn can of pop!

This reminds me of just why all those darned pre-op diets were really good for me. Believe me I cursed them EVERY day, but I have to admit that (especially with the liver shrinking diet,) since I stopped the diet I RARELY use salt anymore. When I drink even a SIP of Coke, all I can taste is salt...it is unbelieveable how bad it tastes. I feel really fortunate that I don't crave it.It makes me feel bloated too. So looking back, all the diets weren't SO horrible...lol.:)

I am not banded yet.. but when I went for orientation they told me that I have to be off of pepsi for 30 days prior to surgery. I used to drink a 6 pack of coke a day now for the most part I have 1 can of pepsi a day. I want more but I make myself drink Water. Unfortunately for me I'm allergic to nutra sweet. I can't drink crystal light or diet sodas as it gives me a severe Migraine. I'm also not big on flavored water.. Its a mind over matter thing for me. Congrats to those of you who have lost so much. Hopefully I'll be on that side come next March or April when I have my surgery (have to wait til jan 1st when I can switch to insurance that covers it)

I gave up soda about a year ago and it was PAINFUL!! I had terrible headaches from the caffeine withdrawal but it was the best thing ever! Once in a blue moon Id drink a little bit of soda but nothing compared to my college days. Everything we ate was followed up with soda.

After years of chronic acute gastritis and ending up with erosions and very bad reflux, I gave them up. My Dr would constantly beg me to stop drinking them by I could not. Diet Pepsi was my friend and Weight Watches told me years ago that I could drink as many as I wanted. One or two in the mornings, a couple in the afternoons, so what if I had insomnia. Then after not sleeping I would need two or more in the morning 5am, to get going again.

I almost ate my stomach lining away.

Why did I give them up? Because I wanted this band more than I wanted anything. Because I was ready to listen to the Doctors about how they were effecting my health, I had numerous Endoscopies. Because I was afraid what might happen if I didn't.

So my Dr's rule. No Diet Soda - at all. Crystal Lite if okay, if not that then Lemon in Water would be fine. The carbonation can stretch your pouch, which is only 30cc or the size of an egg. We need to keep it that size.

Come on everyone, the band only works if you let it. We can defeate it, we all know how. My regular Dr told me one of his patients Lost over 100 pounds She started drinking Milk shakes because they went down well. Guess What - she has gained it all back plus, even with the band.

So you have a choice. Personally, I think I made the right choice.

Didn't mean to be preachy, we are all adults and can do as we please. I did this for me and no one else. Debbie

I sip on diet coke from time to time now, but giving it up for those first few weeks preop broke my addiction to it. I don't buy it for home, I only have it in restaurants and I drink maybe 3-4 ounces before my meal and a few tiny sips during.

So my Dr's rule. No Diet Soda - at all. Crystal Lite if okay, if not that then Lemon in Water would be fine. The carbonation can stretch your pouch, which is only 30cc or the size of an egg. We need to keep it that size.

Come on everyone, the band only works if you let it. We can defeat it, we all know how. My regular Dr told me one of his patients Lost over 100 pounds She started drinking Milk shakes because they went down well. Guess What - she has gained it all back plus, even with the band.

So you have a choice. Personally, I think I made the right choice.

Didn't mean to be preachy, we are all adults and can do as we please. I did this for me and no one else. Debbie

I totally agree with you!!!:teeth_smile:

How about some deep fried soda. lol

deep_fried_coke.jpg

Looks like a funnel cake :|

Somebody (cough ^^^) must have gone to the fair. LOL

Somebody (cough ^^^) must have gone to the fair. LOL

Nope just been talking about deep fried things on the posting to post thread. I went to a Sternwheel festival back at the beginning of September and they had deep fried twinkies, candy bars, and oreos. Looked disgusting.

I was a huge soda drinker and was suprised when I quit with no problems. I did try punch at a shower not knowing it had soda in it and was in pain for hours and don't want to make this mistake again. Now it is football season and it is hard to watch the game with out a beer in hand but I am adjusting...

Hi guys. I'm only one wk post op. I gave up my beloved diet pepsi cold turkey :tongue: I don't want to do anything to mess up my band or stomach. I'm just done w. it. I drank 4-5 a day. :tongue:

Hi, I had got banded 8/26/08, and I had 8 ozs of Root Beer, kinda of like a "treat" to myself. It was the worse thing I have done ever. 4 hours later, I started burping and farting like crazy. And then 15 minutes after that, I had this really bad pain in my stomach. I thought my band had come loose. I was looking for my Dr's number before I called for an ambulance because the pain was so bad I couldnt drive. I something told me to try malox. So I did and in 2 minutes the pain went away. I will never have soda AGAIN EVER

Hi everyone,

I'm new to LapBandTalk ... came here at 1030 tonight to look into why i have so much gas! I was banded in June 2007 and gave up soda all together at first. Then, I started letting it sit out over night to lose its carbonation. Recently, I was too full and the doc let out some of my fill and so I've been trying soda more. Today I had a whole can of diet dr pepper... yes, before I ate and yes at about 8 pm... What a mistake. That will be my last soda. I'm glad I found this thread. I have had issues with gas (burping and "the other") and some left side and shoulder pain... I have an appt with my doc on monday.... I hope i have not caused band slippage...