Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink soda?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink soda?

• Yes- my doctor says it's okay
    • Yes- but my doctor says not to
    • No- because my doctor says no
    • No- but not because of the band, just cause I don't like it

my doc says we can drink it, just let it flatten for 5 minutes before drinking. however, when i have a good fill, i cannot drink it because it causes me terrible pain and gas.

I know I need to do it as well. I find lots of excuses for not giving it up. Thanks for the encouragement - I can do this .... I think I can :lol:

I was a BIG diet coke fan. All day Long that was my drink. I was told no carbonation at all not only the pain but it will stretch your pouch. Also beer I loved beer. To my surprise I took a sip of my dh's and i couldn't stand it didn't like the way it felt/ the fizz and the taste. 6 months carbonation free.

OK...Soda I won't miss as stated in my response on page 1....But a chilled glass of Beer...I KNOW I will miss that....and flat beer is grotesque so...I guess I need to ask myself...Healthy or beer? Good weight ( as in not obese) or beer?.....

Now, I do plan to have an occasional glass of wine...but not until way later...any thoughts on the subject of wine?

(Heart Healthy 1 glass wine?)

Can anyone explain the real danger with soda. My doc says no soda, but doesn't really offer a satisfactory reason as to why.

Aside from the worries like pouch stretching, or having gas pains, and all the rest of it, for me the biggest concern is really just all the empty calories.

The human body only has capacity to process about 20 grams of sugar per day. Anything more than that really just becomes fat. The average can of pop/soda has 40+ grams (And that's just the can! Nevermind the big bottles that so many of us drink).

So if I drink a can of pop, I've already given my body twice as much sugar as I can handle in a day on top of the sugars found in anything else I eat, like fruit, Cereal, yogurt, ketchup etc.

For me, drinking a pop is really just self-sabotage.

Unfortunately the self sabotage still tastes really good sometimes... :thumbup:

A very interestng article about the effects of sugar and high fructos corn Syrup on our bodies... Sugar coated / We're drowning in high fructose corn syrup. Do the risks go beyond our waistline?

and.....GREAT POST SEATTLESWEETIE.....

also, if you say well it is diet...there is research and data supporting that too much sweetner is bad too....they say some bodies think itis sugar anyway????

So, I say...stay away from soda.....Have to admit an old fashioned Root Beer Float used to float my boat! LOL....

So this is what I can offer.... I am not banded yet... but in this process of research, I have heard quite a few horror stories about carbonation in general.... not specific to pop, but applicable. So... in 6 months, I have heard of several people that after 3-5 years, they ended up with slippage and two completely losing their band for eating/drinking around it.... the one thing they all had in common and believe caused most of their difficulties was consuming carbonation frequently over the course of their band time... they handled it ok, never really had any immediate issues, but it took a toll over the years and did stretch the pouch and and caused slippage. Most people that get banded by american doctors may not hear the LONG TERM effects of eating/drinking around the band, because these doctors have only been doing lap bands for 4-5 years at most.... in other countries, the doctors have been doing them much longer and have more information of longer term issues associated with the band. When you choose to make this lifelong comittment to being healthy with the assistance of the band, you should follow the rules as much as you can or it WILL catch up with you.... you can choose to keep the band as your friend for life or choose to turn it into another lost battle with weight. Regardless of what a doctor recommends on carbonation/pop consuming, I would AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS if there is a chance that it can lead to losing my band in the future. Everyone reacts to the band differently, but carbonation is one of the few things that is really OFF OF most doctors lists.... for those that say it's ok down the road, I think they are off their rocker... just my opinion... everyone has freedom of choice.

Kammi in Everett, WA

For clarification - I don't drink soda because my doctor said not to. BUT... I also tried some the other day just because it was sitting there and I was curious... I took a sip and it tasted awful. Like chemicals. So if it had tasted good, I might have allowed myself a glass! I guess after 6 months without it my taste buds have changed.

Good for you it was hard but I think it would only lead to problems down the road stay focused and keep up the good work.

I used to drink a sixpack of Diet Coke a day. I LOVED it. But, every now and then I would smell a partially empty, several day old can and think - "man, that smells just like formaldehyde in the lab". I just KNOW it couldn't have been good for me. I had my last soda the day I started my two-week prediet in October 2007. Every now and then I just CRAVE one, but I don't give in because I am soooo glad to have that monkey off my back.

Now, I drink Water and tea. I don't use any artificial sweeteners. I find I am appreciating things that have a much subtler level of sweetness.

Here's a drink I love on occassion (but you will probably think I'm nuts) 1 oz milk+1oz of OJ+ a full glass of Water. Hang in there with me - it does a few things. First, it takes me back to drinking Orange Julius's as a kid in the desert. Second, it has very few calories and is made with healthy ingredients. Third, it makes me drink a whole glass of water! What could be wrong with that? Don't laugh until you try it.

I loved sodas and slightly balked when I heard none - forever.

But, I still have my coffee and teas, and every now and then a sip of flat soda. It's really an okay trade off for the weight loss.

But, to answer the why? I've heard different ones, the main one (from doc) was concern over slipping.

You can eat almost anything... it is just a matter of keeping your band healthy over the long run.... carbonation wll over time lead to band slippage most likely as the carbonation expands your pouch over time and that is when slippage can occur. It may not happen, but most US doctors that say a little here and there is ok.... haven't been banding long enough ost likely to know LONG term effects... If you push is, you risk your band down the road.... I am not willing to risk that over a little soda... my goodness!

Kammi in Everett, WA

I used to drink lots of soda. I was hooked on Dr. Pepper. Since surgery I've cut it off, but everyone once in awhile, I want a sip. A couple days ago, I took a VERY small sip of my husband's and held it in my mouth until it fizzed up and had no more fizzy bubbles. Can anyone explain the real danger with soda. My doc says no soda, but doesn't really offer a satisfactory reason as to why.

I can live with no soda... and I don't crave it or anything. I've been so good since I cut it out and have been very surprised at my will power regarding this subject, since I have unsuccessfully tried to eliminate it from my diet during pre band life. I'm just wondering about people's perceptions on soda.

My surgeon says to wait six months before trying carbonation..and then to do so ONLY on an empty stomach.

WELL... I was a COCA-COLA-AHOLIC! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! It is the one thing that I truly have cravings for in my new lifestyle. Fortunately, my best friend Jill, bought me a SlushMug (Original Slush Mug). It holds about 8 ounces.. and freezes the Coke to a very satisfying slushy consistency (think "Slurpee"). The 8-ounces is about 100 calories (with regular Coke) and it satisfies my intense urges about once or twice a week. The freezing causes all the carbonation to release but I am left with enough flavor that I am completely satisfied. To be honest, I doubt that even after I achieve my 6-month mark that I will go back to drinking sodas. The SlushMug has been the perfect thing to keep me from indulging and risking pouch stretching or band slippage.

BTW, I am not associated with glacierware.com or anyone else related with the site. It just happens that my friend had bought some SlushMugs for her kids and thought that I would love to have one given that I could no longer have carbonated beverages.