Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink soda?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink soda?

• Yes- my doctor says it's okay
    • Yes- but my doctor says not to
    • No- because my doctor says no
    • No- but not because of the band, just cause I don't like it

I marked "No because my doctor said so" but in reality, I just can't drink it anymore. It causes too much gas and I get a real full feeling that is uncomfortable.

I am so proud of all of those who have comitted to breaking this habit.... not only will it make you healthier in general to not drink it (diet or not), but also, you are taking care of your band better. Any doctor that says pop or any other carbonation is ok, is crazy!

Kammi in Everett, WA

I am glad I read this. Before I was hooked on diet sodas. My Dr and dietitian said don't drink it because it will hurt. It is good to know that it could also have bad reactions on the band too and not just being uncomfortable. I do not drink any soda now any ways just a sip here and there.

hey, ya'll!!! Remember the FIRST diet soda ever created (I believe) called TAB back in the 80's. Yes, believe it or not it's still available at many grocery stores such as kroger or wal-mart. I was addicted!!! I drank anywhere from 6-10 (12 oz) cans per day sometimes.

If I can give up sodas, ANYBODY can!!! My dietician told me horror stories long before my surgery & of course my doc says no.

Crystal light (wal-mart brand, that is) is a delicious alternative. Morning sunrise orange is my FAVORITE.

I love DRPEPPER too, craving it every day since I was banded. the dietician explained to me that the carbonation in it makes your stomach swell & your pouch will stretch. she broke my heart when she said i was never to have it again but i've just decided to make the muscle milk my new favorite drink!!! ALSO---can ANYONE tell me how to upload/add my ticker? totally confused...

I was a Cokeaholic also..what makes it even worse is that I work for Coke..I've been off sodas for over 6 months now. It;s very hard tho when you're surrounded by it all day..if we didn't have free Dasani to drink I think I might go crazy.

The one thing I have noticed though is that after not having it for so long when I take a sip or two of my DH's drink, it just doesn't taste the same. Go figure.

You poor thing! BUT...I love Dasani...and would love to have it free at work!

I don't even miss soda... just iced tea and coffee which I can have after a month or so...

I too was a tabaholic...my husband would buy me 4 cases per week..I had my last tab the night before surgery. It has now been 3 weeks without tab after 28 years of addiction!!!

I just wrote this somewhere else, but my doctor says the gas from soda can cause slippage. He prohibits it only in the first six months to 12 months after surgery, but I prefer other drinks anyway so I don't see myself going back to it.

my docters said same thing about the gas,i used to enjoy a can of pepsi max in summer,but since my band and not haveing cool drink in so long,if i have a sip,i dont enjoy it and end up divideing the can betwen my boys,so i really dont have it anymore,i have water/coffe/tea and juice from time to time.:lol:

I stopped the sodas hoping to be over the hump of missing them by the time I get to surgery. I drank de-caf, sugar free, so I didn't have a physical addiction, I just loved the taste. Already, I've noticed a big difference in that I'm NOT as hungry as normal. Maybe it's in my head, but there's a marked change in my hunger issues. I have to gain five pounds for my appointment to be approved for surgery, but I LOST three this week. I've drank the difference in Water, so I know it's not just water weight I've lost. I don't know, but I'm starting to believe the carbonation was expanding my stomach to make me feel hungrier, or maybe, it's my nerves anticipating the band surgery. I usually drank about 24 oz of diet soda a day.

I had a pretty funny thing happen to me this week. My husband and I went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch with fill it yourself drink area. I was ready to break out and get my all you can drink diet coke. I had to LOL - the frickin' diet Coke dispenser had a big Out Of Order sign on it, and I ended up getting un-sweetened tea. (it was JUST the diet Coke too, all the others were fine!) A sign from God? If so...maybe God is looking out for me in this...at least I'd like to think so. This is a life changing chance for me.

lol kiz, the machine knew you were coming. :)

I take a sip once in awhile, but my doctor says no soda so I stick to tea and Water. I was a huge diet pepsi drinker and I really miss it but I was surprised at how easy it was for me to give it up.

I kinda miss having a Pepsi on a hot afternoon, but what I'm really missing is having an ice cold beer! I've tried a sip, and yes it hurts like there's no tomorrow. So I'll stick to Water and maybe an iced tea. I'm skeered of pop.:sad:

I'm used to having one or two 12 oz bottles of diet/caffeine free Coke a day. Also, I like getting diet coke when we go out for Mexican, but what I'll miss is having an ice cold beer. It's not even that I drink beer often, but when I do, it's usually in association with something fun. Barbecues, sporting events, out with friends, etc. I just find beer to be more of a social experience, and there's no drinking it flat or having a substitute. I know it's not a huge price to pay for getting healthy, but I will morn my loss...:drool: (Well, truthfully, that might be a tad melodramatic - lol, but I will miss it)