Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink soda?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink soda?

• Yes- my doctor says it's okay
    • Yes- but my doctor says not to
    • No- because my doctor says no
    • No- but not because of the band, just cause I don't like it

:smile:yeah i was addicted to to diet coke,i guess what u could do is each day do alittle less till yr done with them like today drink 2 tomarrow 1 then none,i just drink the crystal light,ill always love diet coke but i figure to lose and look better its worth giving it up,i also know a friend shes skinny she drank diet coke i mean reg she quit she lost 12 pds and shes already skinny so goes to show it keep weight on good luch stoping,glad i did,:tongue2:

I was just banded a month ago, so I don't know if this will change. Maybe you guys can tell me if you had the same thing happen. I can't stand the taste of most artificial sweeteners now. That means I can't drink Crystal Light or any of the other diet drinks. I love Water, but sometimes I just crave something with taste! I've been drinking hot tea with Splenda to help with that. I'm not very good at making iced tea for some reason.:crying:

As of this Wednesday I'll be able to eat fruit, so maybe that will be my saving grace. I would like to get off of the artificial sweeteners, because I agree with others that it makes you crave sweets. Besides, it's crap for you health.

You might want to try some Agave Syrup. It has a high glycemic index and is sweeter than sugar so you need less. Our chef at work uses it all the time as a sugar subsitute. Check our www.melissas.com And yes, I work there, but my Dietician approves of this sweetner.

Also, trust me. Try this. Make a pitcher of Crystal Lite Lemonaide. Cut two lemons in half and slice some off. Put the slices in the pitcher. juice the lemons. Add the juice to the pitcher. I use the bottled stuff and it worked. Add the lemon juice to taste. The tartness of the lemons masks the sweetner. This is how I got off of Diet Pepsi (40 year habbit) and started drinking Crystal Lite. Also, I add more water for weaker lemonaide. But try the Lemons. They will work for other related flavors too. And there is a little pulp in the drink so it looks real, it has fooled a lot of people around here.

Please try this, it does work. I promise. :frown: Debbie

I can't stand the taste of most artificial sweeteners now. That means I can't drink Crystal Light or any of the other diet drinks. I love Water, but sometimes I just crave something with taste! I've been drinking hot tea with Splenda to help with that. I'm not very good at making iced tea for some reason.:party:

I lost my taste for Crystal Light as well post banding. I used to really like pink lemonade and after banding it just tastes sour on my stomach. I also tried a sip of diet coke that was sitting out for a while and was flat and none too cold . . . it tasted awfulll . . . how on earth was I drinking 4-6 every day before banding . . . was it just the bubbles and caffeine???

Banding changed my tastes in other ways as well. I seem to crave water or milk more than before. I do like tea with splenda and I like coffee with Creamer only. I also found that stuff I used to like (potatoes, rice, even sweets) are kind of bland now and not too interesting.

A fast and easy way to make ice tea (if you don't go the sun tea route) is to boil some water, put about 8 tea bags in a big pitcher and pour the hot water on top and let it soak for about 10 minutes, take out the tea bags, add cold water and it is done. You can then sweeten it as a whole or just in individual cups.

You might want to try some Agave Syrup. It has a high glycemic index and is sweeter than sugar so you need less. Our chef at work uses it all the time as a sugar subsitute. Check our www.melissas.com And yes, I work there, but my Dietician approves of this sweetner.

Debbie

I lost my taste for Crystal Light as well post banding. I used to really like pink lemonade and after banding it just tastes sour on my stomach. I also tried a sip of diet coke that was sitting out for a while and was flat and none too cold . . . it tasted awfulll . . . how on earth was I drinking 4-6 every day before banding . . . was it just the bubbles and caffeine???

Banding changed my tastes in other ways as well. I seem to crave Water or milk more than before. I do like tea with splenda and I like coffee with creamer only. I also found that stuff I used to like (potatoes, rice, even sweets) are kind of bland now and not too interesting.

Thanks for your input and advice, Debbie and Heather. It gives me hope to hear that Heather lost her taste for potatoes, rice and sweets. I hope that happens to me. :confused:

Banding changed my tastes in other ways as well. I seem to crave Water or milk more than before. I do like tea with splenda and I like coffee with creamer only. I also found that stuff I used to like (potatoes, rice, even sweets) are kind of bland now and not too interesting.

A fast and easy way to make ice tea (if you don't go the sun tea route) is to boil some Water, put about 8 tea bags in a big pitcher and pour the hot water on top and let it soak for about 10 minutes, take out the tea bags, add cold water and it is done. You can then sweeten it as a whole or just in individual cups.

I agree... my tastes are completely different post-banding, too... I have always liked tea, but post-banding, I prefer tea over coffee now... it is REALLY interesting, isn't it?

i was the biggest DIet Coke addict..My husband said Cocacola stock was gonna crash when i got banded and stopped drinking it..

I have been drining diet iced teas..and my new addiction is Propel....its a slightly sweetened flavored water with tons of Vitamins and minerals..the nutritionist at the docs office recommended it. I like the lemon flavor best. Its my new Diet Coke! dont confuse Vitamin Water with this. Vitamin Water is HIGH in calories.

THis isnt to say that i havent fallen off the wagon..I have about 1/2 a diet coke a week, i dont keep it in the house, ill ;ick one up when running errands etc. ...i cant finish it and it makes me burp like crazy...

diet coke was part of my bad nutrition pre surgery..and i really dont need it in my life now. My doc said no soda..and i guess he is right. also my 12 year old daughter was starting her own diet coke habit when i had it in the house..and she is too thin...but thats another post.

Good luck kicking the habit.

Diane

I love my soda! My dietitian said I could still drink it IF I would let it go flat. I have NO problem with that. I shake it up good then gradually open the top until the bubbles are gone. I leave it sitting out without the lid overnight. The next day I can enjoy my soda over ice and I don't even miss the carbonation.

i was the biggest DIet Coke addict..My husband said Cocacola stock was gonna crash when i got banded and stopped drinking it..

According to my husband's IRA, cocacola stock has gone down... are you causing this economy crisis? :) lol

After a full year without soda, I don't miss it most the time, but occasionally, I want some.

The Crystal Light lemonade is awfully tart for me, I started using Wyler brand fruit punch, raspberry flavor, etc... It's a little of a softer flavor. I Water it down a little.

The Special K Protein mixers are a decent way to get Protein in too.

Well, I can't answer the poll because you're missing a choice:

5) No, because it hurts like hell when I do. Really really really really hurts, for hours afterwards.

:)

strange....soda doesn't seem to bother me too much, but Champagned is absolutely terrible! Very painful! Didn't know about the slippage thing with carbonation.....always heard, just don't do it. Nice to know why. What about alcohol? Is anyone drinking alcohol out there? Problems, or doctors advice against it? Just curious!

After a full year without soda, I don't miss it most the time, but occasionally, I want some.

The Crystal Light lemonade is awfully tart for me, I started using Wyler brand fruit punch, raspberry flavor, etc... It's a little of a softer flavor. I Water it down a little.

The Special K Protein mixers are a decent way to get Protein in too.

You mentioned the Wyler Brand. I too prefer it. I use to get it at my Walgrens. They no longer carry it. Where do you find yours. AND I Water mine down too. I am now up to 1 single packet to 32 ounces of water, double the water. Kind of feel it might be a little more healthy, and more water!

And yes, I miss the diet soda too. The other day I watched someone open one and I missed the first sip. JUST LIKE A DRUG ADDICT. But my band means more to me than anything and I will NEVER have SODA again. My personal choice, one well worth it.

Besides I don't miss the chronic accute gastritis and constant belching. :)

i loved diet coke to but i now know almost 3 months later i can live with out diet coke,instead of buying 9 12 packs for the family a week i buy 1 now for hubby to take 1 to work each day.the price of it even went up,so im better with out it,plus saving some money lol,i now drin k crystal light tg

I don't miss soda and I really thought I would, it's all I used to drink. I got sick of the crystal light flavors I was drinking though. I used to LOVE the punch, the lemonade and the raspberry lemonade but now those flavors just make me wretch. They are too sweet!

I like the pomegranate cherry now and the white grape. Those are flavors I hadn't tried before. I also like propel and Zero Powerade, but only the grape flavor. My friend gave me some sugar free hawaiian punch and it's very good- a nice change of pace. I also like flavored waters that are a bit more expensive, so I keep it to a minimum, but this place near my house has jasmine orange, lavender and ginger lemon flavored water and weird things like that. They are almost 3 dollars a bottle though. An expensive treat! Another brand has chocolate mint Water but I haven't tried it!

its soo hard to give up soda...i love it...but ive heard that you can lose so much weight from giving that up alone...how bad is diet soda for you..this may have been mentioned, but i am curious