Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink soda?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink soda?

• Yes- my doctor says it's okay
    • Yes- but my doctor says not to
    • No- because my doctor says no
    • No- but not because of the band, just cause I don't like it

I gave it up years ago. But anytime I am in the convenience store and see a bag of Andys Hot Fries (the chips), I want an iced cold diet coke bad. As a teenager, I used to love the two together.

I drink a lot of tea. Both the traditional iced black tea and herbal teas. If you havent tried it, hibiscus tea is wonderful and good for lowering blood pressure. It tastes like cranberry juice to me.

Here is a youtube video on how to make Jamaica. I use honey or, but you can use whatever artifical sweetener you like.

Edited by minimeme

My doc told me know and I didn't do what they wanted me to do and I a still fat. I had my surgery in 11/2007 I have only lost 30 pounds. I cam to realize i need to do what they tell me to do. I don't have time to attend a support group so that is why i am on here.. can any one help!!!!

your friend always

Michelle

Hi, I'm new here too... I don't have any advice for anyone, only my own story to share... I was averaging at least 20 oz. of regular soda a day, (Mt. Dew & Dr. Pepper mostly), and my withdrawals haven't been too bad, surprisingly...

I'm currently on my pre-op diet, with surgery only 5 days away... caffeine and sugar are both gone for me... I did have a bad caffeine-withdrawal headache the first 24-48 hours... but, so far, it's tapered off since... and more surprisingly, I haven't craved soda that much (probably since it's not in the house)...

for me, it was always about the sugar and the flavor, not the caffeine... I never drank diet soda, couldn't stand it... which is why I'm having some trouble with Crystal Light, Propel, etc... don't really like the taste of artificial sweeteners... probably will move away from that eventually, to just non-sweetened beverages... but, that's not easy, either...

I don't drink coffee, but I like black, green and herbal teas... just have to figure out how to drink them artificially-sweetened, or drink them plain... the past few days, I've sipped on warm broth, just to get away from the Splenda... lol.

Doodle

I'm a little late on this thread I guess, but wanted to say I still have a diet coke about 5 times a week, but on the advice of my doctor, I let it defizz for about 15-20 mins before I drink it....it's a little watered down by then but it still hits the spot for me....

I do have soda. I just don't chug it. I sip it and I find it is good for testing to see if my band is clear. This is the only thing I can actually FEEL go through my band. I can feel the bubbles. Again, I only sip, I DO NOT TAKE BIG drinks.

I drink Coke Zero.

Please, be careful with drinking soda . . . take it from someone who has lost their band. It does indeed cause pouch dilation.

It has minimal impact when you don't have restriction, but when you do have tight restriction, gas expands and it can cause issues.

I just don't want new bandsters to get the wrong impression that because it is OK for some it is OK for all. There is a reason why it is restricted by the majority of surgeons post banding.

My doctor doesn't allow diet soda for 6 months post surgery - after that, diet is fine...as long as you can tolerate it, of course.

I have not had a Soda since 1/1/10. Have not had surgery yet but know it a no-no. Miss it once in a while.

Tried one a few weeks ago but it was to sweet. Which is hard to believe from the Dr Pepper Queen. As long as I can have splenda in my tea I think I will be fine.:frown:

Good Luck to you all and Hope that I will have the Luck in return.

I have just been reading through this long thread and have noticed that the majority of us overweight people were addicted to "diet" drinks. Go figure!

I was a 12 pack to a case of diet Pepsi or coke zero a week guy.:thumbup:

I tried a soda like 2 weeks ago, and it tasted like medicine to me.

I have been soda free for about 3 months now:thumbup: Water baby!

I can do without soda...although I might miss gingerale a bit...but I know eventually I am going to want a sip of beer. Good beer - not the American lite kind. Some hot day i am just going to want a Sam Adams or a dunkel at my local pub. probably I will get my husband to order one and sip from his...he won't share much.

I am with Molly, I was a soda addict, quitting was HARD, but I did it, a couple of times I have tried a few ounces of soda and it not only tasted crappy after all this time, but it caused pain, so no soda for me, the carbonation seems to put undue pressure on the pouch and band and it is no fun for me.

I have cut down on diet soft drinks but not eliminated them completely. I quit for a while pre and post banding, then picked up the habit again. I substitute iced tea most of the time, but after reading this thread, I realize that I really need to quit all together. After all the trouble I went through to get this band approved by my insurance, I sure the heck don't want to displace it. At 26 pounds down, I am just getting started on the road to good health.

Okay. That's it. The diet soft drinks are a thing of the past. (Schnivel, sob, weep.)

Wow, what is wrong with me?? I hear everyone saying how it hurts to drink soda! I WISH it hurt me!! That's the thing that made me fall off the wagon! I quit cold turkey 1 month before my surgery and was fine for a whole year! Then sitting at dinner one night, I took a very small sip from my sons glass and BOOM! Right back to where I started! :( Now I have 2-12 oz Mtn Dews (my crack) everyday!! But I do drink it slow, one can will last me a couple of hours. This sucks!:smile2:

I had just a SIP of soda the other day and OH. MY. GOD did it hurt! I felt like my stomach was going to explode! I wasn't able to burp for a few seconds, which felt like an eternity! I will NEVER do that again! :smile2: