Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Law enforcement thread

not a cop...yet. planning on trying after i get down in weight. always been a dream of mine.

Hey,

I have posted a few times and glad I found this forum. as I said in another Post, I am an Adult Probation Officer on the State Level. I special is warrant Service/Fugitive stuff. Pretty cool to see some other here. Hoping I can be mote effective when I am in better shape, my current shape is circle so I'm sure it can only get better!

Retired at age 49.

I am still on the FHP Reserves, but my uniforms are way too big now (I'm down 110 lbs since October 07. ) I worked a shift to cover the Turnpike in Orlando during their December Xmas party, got out of the patrol car to check a DAV and grabbed a handfull of my gunbelt and pants as they were dropping south towards my ankles! LOL! Needless to say...no more road patrol until I get some smaller slacks and gear. :frown:

In response to the inquiry on effective ways to relieve gas pains...I always found that farting was quite effective for relieving gas pains ;-)

Edited by sgt236
Clarification

hi all i am a Senior Correction Officer with the NJ dept of Corrections i was banded in march of '07 and i am down 71 lbs with 38 more to go

I am a police officer who is just starting the process for the lap band. I was wondering how much time you fellow officers took off work...since our jobs are a little bit more demanding than most. Also, did you tell your fellow co-workers about your surgery? Did the gunbelt pose any problems with the incisions? Thanks for your help.

I am a police officer who is just starting the process for the lap band. I was wondering how much time you fellow officers took off work...since our jobs are a little bit more demanding than most. Also, did you tell your fellow co-workers about your surgery? Did the gunbelt pose any problems with the incisions? Thanks for your help.

I went back to work in three days. Did admin duty for about a week, then went back to full duty.

I was worried about the gun belt but it ended up being no problem. Also my vest protected things nicely. :smile2:

Good luck!

Den

Hi everyone, I'm a Sergeant with Phoenix PD and am two months since my surgery. Three weeks pre op I was 310, day of surgery 2-17-09, I was 303.5 and today, 8 weeks since surgery, I am 265.5. I am 5' 7 1/2" and have a pretty solid muscle structure underneath as I use to be in the Marine Corps. I am amazed that according to my DR's body fat tests I ahve actually put on 8 lbs of muscle since the surgery. It just seems like a lot of muscle to put on in only 2 months. Anyone else have any experience with this? I have been doing 30 mins of cardio 5 times a week and a light circuit weight routine twice a week. To answer Dennis's question I had my surgeery on a Tuesday and returned to work on the following Monday. I too was a little nervous about the gun belt but it didn't bother me at all. To be technical my Dr said no heavy lifting for 6 weeks so if I was in a Patrol assignment and had to worry about possbly fighting with a suspect I may have been a little nervous. I am in a Homeland Defense assignment that is primarily administrative in nature so that wasn't a cocnern for me. But, if anything I have had to hold myself back from doing too much with all the extra energy I have now.

Hello to everyone,

I'm a C.O. in NYC working on Rikers. Not yet banded cuse by doc says my BP is too high (140/90). Did all my other pre op stuff. Only need the cardio clearance, but he won't give cuase of the BP...Should I get another primary doctor? I think the one I have is against weight loss surgery...

Isn't that the point of the surgery to help with that. I would get another opinion. Weight loss usually equals/helps lower blood pressure.

Good luck!

is there anything that the doc can recommend to help lower your blood pressure so that you are able to get the surgery? any meds?

Thanks for the comments, I go see him tomorow for another check up. I've been on the bike and been satying away from the sweets. I've always been one of the healthy big guys. My pressure went up after I gained weight cause I broke my leg back in March and have been home not moving around much.