Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Law enforcement thread

Welcome Hitman! Glad to have you on here and congrats on your decision. It has been a HUGE blessing for me. I am able to do so much more in the last 6 mos. than I had in the previous 3 yrs.

Good luck on the 3rd and keep us updated on your progress.

Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm scheduled for March 13th and I have decided to tell my boss so we will see how it goes.

Good luck on your recovery!

Hey BigMike - glad to hear you are doing well - re the energy - i had the same problem. Isopure liquid (fruit flavors) helped tremendously. its 20 oz's with 40g of Protein - doesnt take long and WOW - feeling much better. also a great source of Protein which my doc keeps harping me about.

Best of luck - be safe

Jack

Hey you all I'm ret with USDOJ and get banded 2/28 1st one of the day Doc says I should be going home by noon. I'm 325 and have just about all the medical condition there are + I have a type 1 Larex allergy from all those gloves We use. I'm an RN changed about 100 pair a day. Please take note Latex will mess you up. Use nitile (Sp).

Man I dont know if I'm lucky or what but I dont even have a pre op diet. Just NOP after midnite

Hess

USDOJ Ret

BK TX XXI

Hey guys! It has been three weeks since my surgery and I am down 21 pounds. I will be having to get a smaller belt soon. I am getting a coworker to make some new holes in some of my other belts. I think this surgery is the best thing I have ever bought. The money saved on food is substantial. My social life is now improving as now I can afford to go out. I am getting used to consuming less of everything. I am now satisfied with two tasty adult beverages (crown with water). I used to drink a six pack on my days off. I am also getting a lot more exercise. I really want to run again, but I have to wait another week. Another 3 weeks I can get off light duty. Thanks for the fantastic support.

Robert

Congraulations on your success so far pilate74 and wish you continued progress back to a healthy life.

One of the hurddles is "getting used to" what we should have been doing all along. Eating smaller portions, excersing and cutting back on the adulat beverages.

One good thing I have found is every diet I have ever tried when I would lose weight it would always come back plus some. Since I have had the band general all the weight I have lost has stayed off. When I get out of the proper eating sequence and I start going the wrong way on the scale I don't get discouraged like I used to and pile it all back on.

The band is a great tool but it doesn't do the work...WE DO.

Greg

I am a Deputy with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. I was banded on 02/21/08 and am feeling great. I was told about the Lapband by a co-worker who had it done a year ago. Once I started checking around I found out that there have been over a dozen of us who have had it done. The guys are all in various stages and we have a sort of unofficial support group at work. My phone has been ringing off the hook with calls from the guys checking on me and giving encouragement. I am a week out and have lost 12 lbs so far, starting mushies today. My partner got his the same day and he has lost 16 lbs already. I have seen my blood sugars drop to nearly normal and feel great. I return to work on Saturday. As far as the body armor issue, one Deputy reported that the hard plates rubbed against his port and bothered him a bit, but that is the only complaint I have heard. The guys at uniform supply are getting tired of seeing us band guys changing uniforms out so often.I supervised a 911/Police Communications Center for over 13 years as well and can tell you that dispatchers never get the respect they deserve. They save our lives every day. Tell the world what you are going to do and if they don't like it, too bad.Roy/HCSO 41S90

Welcome Roy and great job so far!:rolleyes:

I'm 6 mos out as of yesterday and just had my first fill. SUCKED!!!! PA had some difficulty, and as I hate needles, I went through the roof almost. When they had me sit up to to sip some Water, I got dizzy. Oh well, I made it through it and have to suck it up and do liquids and whole liquids today.

Hello Roy. It's good to hear from other law enforcement people. I'm a 911 dispatcher myself and very much appreciate the comment you made about dispatchers. Most people usually do forget about us. Anyway, glad to hear you are doing well. I had mine 1-14-08 and i'm felling good now and have lost 29 lbs. Oh, by the way, i'm in Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley. Good luck to you in the future!

Congrats to everyone! I dispatched for seven years in Mississippi then relocated to Houston. I had the sugery June 29, 2008. I wish I had it about 5 years ago. I'm down 64lbs, I go to the gym 5days a week if I'm not there I'm walking my new pup rottweiler. Once I get to my goal I want to go back to dispatching. Well I got to run.... Good luck to everyone!

Just got the unofficial word this afternoon that one of my goals for getting the lapband has been accomplished. I am back on the SWAT team at work!!!! :eek:

I had to drop off of it in Jan., 2004 due to weight issues. Now, I'm back and I plan on lasting for a looooooong time. Thanks lb for being the tool that helps me accomplish my goals.:blink:

Congratulations Ceradad...that is AWESOME!!!

Ok, this may be HIGHLY inappropriate, but I saw this thread and just had to throw it out there in the hopes of getting some genuine feedback. Please hear me out:

Last week I was on my way to an appt. I was at a stop sign and when I took a left turn a police officer LITERALLY jumped in front of my car and started SCREAMING at me to pull over. I was so startled and terrified I was wondering if I had drove into a crime scene. The officer was yelling at the top of his lungs and I immediately pulled over to the side of the road (now I'm on a side street). He came up to my window and in a very rude and intimidating manner demanded my license, insurance, and registration. I was literally shaking because I had NO IDEA what I had done. I was also in my husband's car so I was fumbling to get the papers. I asked him what I had done wrong and he yelled "license, insurance, and registration". I respectfully asked him again, "what is the violation, sir". He put his head in my window and almost touched my face and said 'I heard you the first time". Ok, now I'm absolutely terrorized!! I handed him my paperwork and he said "there are 3 signs clearly posted, no left turn between 3pm-6pm". My heart sank. First off, according my clock it was 2:56, secondly I didn't see the signs but obviously they were there. I told him I didn't see them and he rudely replied, "maybe you should get your eyes checked". He left to write up the ticket and I sat in the car stunned, humiliated and scared. I wanted to badly to contest the time and tell him that according to my clock it wasn't 3pm, but I was too scared. He came back made me sign the ticket and told me "you better pay better attention" and walked away. Ok, so I know it's not against the law to be an asshole, but I truly feel like I was wrongly ticketed. I know that a majority of law enforcement officers (like all of you on this board) are wonderful people who represent our communities and truly make a difference. But this is the kind of officer that gives all of you a BAD NAME. Does that badge make him God? I have been heartsick over the situation. I feel VIOLATED by the way he treated me. I know that I could file a complaint with his supervisor, but what would that do? My questions for all you GOOD officers is:

1. Do I have any recourse to get this officer reprimanded for his behavior?

2. Should I fight the ticket?

I would SO appreciate any feedback. If for nothing else, I appreciate you letting me share my experience with you. I know this is off topic from weight loss, so I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Thanks,

Amy

Congratulations Ceradad...that is AWESOME!!!

Ok, this may be HIGHLY inappropriate, but I saw this thread and just had to throw it out there in the hopes of getting some genuine feedback. Please hear me out:

Last week I was on my way to an appt. I was at a stop sign and when I took a left turn a police officer LITERALLY jumped in front of my car and started SCREAMING at me to pull over. I was so startled and terrified I was wondering if I had drove into a crime scene. The officer was yelling at the top of his lungs and I immediately pulled over to the side of the road (now I'm on a side street). He came up to my window and in a very rude and intimidating manner demanded my license, insurance, and registration. I was literally shaking because I had NO IDEA what I had done. I was also in my husband's car so I was fumbling to get the papers. I asked him what I had done wrong and he yelled "license, insurance, and registration". I respectfully asked him again, "what is the violation, sir". He put his head in my window and almost touched my face and said 'I heard you the first time". Ok, now I'm absolutely terrorized!! I handed him my paperwork and he said "there are 3 signs clearly posted, no left turn between 3pm-6pm". My heart sank. First off, according my clock it was 2:56, secondly I didn't see the signs but obviously they were there. I told him I didn't see them and he rudely replied, "maybe you should get your eyes checked". He left to write up the ticket and I sat in the car stunned, humiliated and scared. I wanted to badly to contest the time and tell him that according to my clock it wasn't 3pm, but I was too scared. He came back made me sign the ticket and told me "you better pay better attention" and walked away. Ok, so I know it's not against the law to be an asshole, but I truly feel like I was wrongly ticketed. I know that a majority of law enforcement officers (like all of you on this board) are wonderful people who represent our communities and truly make a difference. But this is the kind of officer that gives all of you a BAD NAME. Does that badge make him God? I have been heartsick over the situation. I feel VIOLATED by the way he treated me. I know that I could file a complaint with his supervisor, but what would that do? My questions for all you GOOD officers is:

1. Do I have any recourse to get this officer reprimanded for his behavior?

2. Should I fight the ticket?

I would SO appreciate any feedback. If for nothing else, I appreciate you letting me share my experience with you. I know this is off topic from weight loss, so I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Thanks,

Amy

As a long time law enforcement officer, I think I can put my 2 cents in.

Not seeing the signs is not a valid excuse but the time element is. Most police/courts will give folks at least a couple of minutes after the time on the sign to start writing tickets. Unless your watch was 10 minutes slow, challenging the time may be a recourse.

You can TRY to file an internal affairs complaint against the officer, but I doubt it'll get anywhere. "Rude and intimidating" are subjective feelings as are tone of voice. Although telling you to get your eyes checked was out of line.

My recommendation - forget the internal affairs complaint because I think it'll be a losing battle.

As for the ticket, if your watch was accurate and the time on the ticket says 3:00 PM exactly, it may be worth the fight. Some judges may ask the officer something like "How do YOU know it was EXACTLY 3:00 PM?" "Do you have an atomic watch, when was it last calibrated/checked?"

Good luck.

Pizzaman..

Thank you SO much for your advice!! Yeah, I figure filing a complaint wouldn't get me anywhere. It's just so frustrating to be treated that way by an officer and let him get away with it. BUT...I'm over it. I will show up in court and fight the ticket. Regardless of the outcome, at least I can say 'I tried".

Again, I really appreciate your 2 cents. It helped tremendously!!

Amy

Pizzaman, You put your two cents in but you only get a penny for your thoughts....ever wonder what happens to the other penny???

marathinner...I agree with Pizzaman that the officers attitude could be had to prove...As a retired police officer (16 of those years as a traffic officer) I have seen officers get away with the attitude "I'm the cop and your the citizen. What I say is law"...But normally it eventually come back to bit them. I, as many law enforcement officer will tell you, haave had many people will come in to complain about the "Officers Attitude" and want them to be disciplined. The minute the supervisor offers to take the ticket back this complaint suddenly isn't so important anymore.

My suggestion to you is the same as pizzaman. Fight the violation on the grounds the time frame was not proper. With one exception...check to see if the officer's car has an in car camera and microphone. If it does then you may have his rudeness captured on film. If it was not so equipped then you have an uphill battle.

The department where I worked would always take down a citizen complaint about an officer. But before they will investigate the complainant had to swear in front of the judge as to the facts in thier complaint. If the complaint was found in the officers favor the officer would then have an avenue to sue the person complaining. This department policy cut about 85% of the citizen complaints out. People would not go in front of the judge....proving most of them were just hoping for the ticket to be dismissed in exchange for not filing formal complaint against the officer.

Please don't take this as if I think your complaint about the officer is bogus...Your the only one who knows for sure and you should do what you feel is needed.

Good luck and please let us know what happens..